Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I moved to unRAID as well. I looked at FreeNAS but I just don't need that level of insanity for my bullshit media collection. The inability to expand easily was my primary reason, along with the increased costs that arise from it.
The Docker collection on unRAID is really nice and I can add a second parity drive if I ever decide to care that. I got a cheap SSD on sale to act as a write cache as well. As a bonus the VM integration with KVM is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I just went headless windows 10 pro.

I'm sure unraid could be easier/better for me but oh well I stuck with what I know and just threw stablebit scanner and drivepool onto it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

havenwaters posted:

I just went headless windows 10 pro.

I'm sure unraid could be easier/better for me but oh well I stuck with what I know and just threw stablebit scanner and drivepool onto it.

Same for me. The disk space cost is larger since everything is 2x, but recovery of data is super easy if a drive fails and I have like 50tb anyways so who cares.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I moved to unRAID as well. I looked at FreeNAS but I just don't need that level of insanity for my bullshit media collection. The inability to expand easily was my primary reason, along with the increased costs that arise from it.
The Docker collection on unRAID is really nice and I can add a second parity drive if I ever decide to care that. I got a cheap SSD on sale to act as a write cache as well. As a bonus the VM integration with KVM is pretty nice.

Not really adding anything but yeah I moved to unraid maybe a year ago and I love it. My dockers auto-update on a schedule, and i have been adding a bunch of 8TB drives. It has been running basically without intervention since then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

headless Win 10 pro + stablebit drivepool for my server as well that I remote into using CRD. Never had any huge issues in the ~5 years I've been using Plex.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm using Ubuntu that's also running irssi and that's it. It used to act as a proxy for VPN access, but it got annoying, I really should find something else for this server to do, because it seems like a waste just sitting here most of the time. My media is on a Synology DS411 NAS.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

WhyteRyce posted:

Kind of annoyed at my Shield. On top of the colorspace issue, I can't get 5.1 output from the Plex app. I have my Shield going in to my TV and then ARC out to my receiver. Dolby, DTS, and non-stereo PCM output to receiver in Plex work fine in my Smart TV app and on my Fire TV. But Plex/Shield only do stereo and I can't seem to force or enable it no matter what options I hit where. I have to use the Plex app in Kodi, where I can enable Dolby and DTS support in Kodi settings, for it to work. It's livable since I only have my receiver on once in a blue moon but still loving annoying.

Granted, my Onkyo receiver is old and the ARC on it is wonky, but drat it it I didn't have this issue on the two other Plex apps/devices or my HTPC

Yeah they broke 5.1 output on some Android/FireTV models a while back and despite being reported on the forums there's been no real acknowledgement from them.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Mannn,. plex on the Apple TV is pretty drat good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes it’s my favorite client despite the 2 ref frame playback issue (on other devices too) and the meh audio codec support.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I’m just about ready to give up on plex on my Xbox one. Ever since the big update it did a while ago it’s a struggle to get anything to play? Is there a way to go back to the previous version or a good plex alternative?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

sbaldrick posted:

I’m just about ready to give up on plex on my Xbox one. Ever since the big update it did a while ago it’s a struggle to get anything to play? Is there a way to go back to the previous version or a good plex alternative?

I just uninstalled the latest PMS due to frequent crashes. Installed 1.9 something and all good again. I just googled for it.

Edit: http://www.filehorse.com/download-plex-media-server/old-versions/

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 15, 2018

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Quick question:

My plex server is my old windows tower. It's got plex on C: and then other drives for everything else. Windows has poo poo itself, so I was thinking of using System Reset and just reinstalling plex. Will this be relatively simple (just installing it and reconfiguring it)? Or is there anything I'm missing?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

iajanus posted:

Quick question:

My plex server is my old windows tower. It's got plex on C: and then other drives for everything else. Windows has poo poo itself, so I was thinking of using System Reset and just reinstalling plex. Will this be relatively simple (just installing it and reconfiguring it)? Or is there anything I'm missing?
If you have many edits to metadata, it might be helpful to try to salvage the database off the Plex install.

But having just come off a Plex migration without doing that, it's probably not the end of the world.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Suggest you .zip your library and store it somewhere else before doing all that. You’ll save yourself a lot of work.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

Huh. Mine works perfect. :shrug:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Plex on my Xbone has trouble playing content recorded by the DVR from my local NBC affiliate. No trouble with any other channel, 720p or 1080i, just that specific channel. I have to switch to the TV's cast client (which doesn't support mpeg2 at all) to watch Superstore or The Good Place. It's super loving weird and someday some update will probably fix it.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Anyone using an RPi3 with PHT as a client? I like the appletv interface, but in my home theater, the lack of DTS HD support is a bit annoying. I tried PHT a couple years ago with an older RPi. It was good but a bit sluggish in the interface, especially in FF and RW department. atv is by far the easiest ive encountered to quickly jump to a specific scene in a movie.

Wondering if RPi3 + PHT is as good.

Edit: maybe what i need is Plex Embedded OS on some older PC hardware

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 17, 2018

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
WIth the new update I had issues around METADATA. Read the Plex forums and they said its and IPV6 issue.

If you can try disabling IPV6 on your router and restarting plex and trying again.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Cornjob posted:

Anyone using an RPi3 with PHT as a client? I like the appletv interface, but in my home theater, the lack of DTS HD support is a bit annoying. I tried PHT a couple years ago with an older RPi. It was good but a bit sluggish in the interface, especially in FF and RW department. atv is by far the easiest ive encountered to quickly jump to a specific scene in a movie.

Wondering if RPi3 + PHT is as good.

Edit: maybe what i need is Plex Embedded OS on some older PC hardware

I'm running an RPi2 with osmc with the plex for kodi plugin and it works fine

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

fluppet posted:

I'm running an RPi2 with osmc with the plex for kodi plugin and it works fine

FF and RW are snappy?

DTS-HD plays without downmixing to something else?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My entire music collection is on Plex. Do you think there will be any chance of it working with Apple HomePod?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No

Unless you install iTunes with iTunes Match on the same computer

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New Xbox One App update apparently. Hopefully will fix the lack of direct streaming if a compatible audio track isn’t the default, but no HDR still from what I can see. I don’t think this player is ever going to be good enough to be a primary use one if you want the best quality playback of high quality files.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Literally the only good thing you can say about the Xbone app is that it direct plays DVR recordings in MPEG2. Everything else is shameful. You can't even pause with Kinect anymore.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Is there a consensus on what device is the best Plex player? Is there one that outshines the others, especially for home theater support? (ie HDR, surround sound formats, other goodies)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Everything seems to have it's problems. Shield is one of the lesser ones, but has issues with remuxed discs with 2 ref frames (Apple TV also suffers this). The Rokus had issues with DTS but I believe these are sorted now... any other limiting factor with regards to codec support? Plex itself doesn't seem to be able to direct stream PGS subtitles full stop, so that's always a pain regardless of what system you use if you watch non-English movies/TV.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Just chromecast and be happy

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

iajanus posted:

Chromecast is cool but using my phone as the remote got annoying pretty quickly to me.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Chromecast is cool but using my phone as the remote got annoying pretty quickly to me.

It's mildly annoying but has the minor benefit of generally working

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Huge_Midget posted:

Is there a consensus on what device is the best Plex player? Is there one that outshines the others, especially for home theater support? (ie HDR, surround sound formats, other goodies)

Shield.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

iajanus posted:

Chromecast can't direct play most of my stuff.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

Unless you're deeply invested in the Apple "ecosystem", the Shield is the best media player in general and the best Plex player. The app gets routine updates, it runs fairly smoothly and it will direct play almost anything. Plus GameStream is really cool if you have an Nvidia GPU.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
This is a general question, not geared at particular poster. Why do people care so much about direct play? Are you all running this on systems that cant handle a single transcode stream? Is it a purity/perfect signal thing where we can't abide the notion that an imperfection may have been introduced?

Seems strange to me. Part of what makes Plex great for me is that I no longer need to care at all about that stuff, it will play just fine. Either Direct Play or Transcoded at 20mbit 1080p

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

emocrat posted:

This is a general question, not geared at particular poster. Why do people care so much about direct play? Are you all running this on systems that cant handle a single transcode stream? Is it a purity/perfect signal thing where we can't abide the notion that an imperfection may have been introduced?

Seems strange to me. Part of what makes Plex great for me is that I no longer need to care at all about that stuff, it will play just fine. Either Direct Play or Transcoded at 20mbit 1080p

For me it's that I haven't seen a transcoded stream of full frame rate 1080i DVR content (sports!) that didn't have smoothness quality issues.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

emocrat posted:

From my posts a few weeks ago, I was trying get Direct Play to see if it was an issue with transcoding a certain file or possibly my server not keeping up on that specific file. Also, if I have stuff that can do Direct Play around the house it leaves more resources for transcoding remote stuff.

Basically, Direct Play seems to present the least amount of problems and the more devices you have that can Direct Play, the more overall devices your server can support.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Exactly, transcoding adds in extra possibility of problems and a possible perceivable quality loss. It’s great for when you’re outside your network or you have devices on bedroom/secondary TVs that can’t or don’t need full quality, but having my machine grind away for no benefit when I’m sat in front of my primary display seems pointless. I might’s well have converted the files in the first place and saved disk space.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There lots of people who have their Plex servers on NAS boxes or low powered servers so getting a DirectPlay capable device is pretty crucial.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Skipping back/forward is less reliable on transcodes.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

emocrat posted:

If you can't do hardware encoding (basically, if you don't have Plex Pass), transcoding is computationally very expensive. I have a 8c16t Xeon system that can only transcode 2 streams simultaneously, and it totally maxes out the server to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How old is that Xeon? Rule of thumb is something like 2000 on Passmark is enough for one transcode, and I can't think of any 8-core Xeons that would be 4000 or below on that.