Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I remember buying the hype that when federal prosecutors bring charges it's after a slow, calculated, and meticulous process that basically turns the indictment into an inescapable Jigsaw style death trap.

lol

Isn't that exactly why they told us they couldn't prosecute anyone for financial crimes because it was too had to make the inescapable trap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Isn't that exactly why they told us they couldn't prosecute anyone for financial crimes because it was too had to make the inescapable trap?

a couple of prosecutors hosed up some cases and had their careers ruined for it so nobody else that wanted to stay an AUSA would touch one

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Stop buying into the reactionary smear campaign. All the 'whistleblower' heard was some resentment on the part of the BLM, which is totally understandable given the bullshit the bundies were able to get away with. All the 'whistleblower' did was hype this up into a bunch of bullshit.

This is just an ideological hit job, and were the agitation reversed, it would all be thrown out as 'locker room talk' - but because the federal government is prosecuting right wing radicals, they're being held to impossible, bullshit standards, so that the defendents walk.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The willingness of too many on the left to fall for unscrupulous right wing hit jobs is embarrassing. The right never throws their own under the bus, and that's why they're in control of the entire country right now.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You also think that the Left is going too far in sex pest stuff. LEOs are poo poo, that doesn't mean they were wrong here, but lol if you've had any experience with these dudes out in the woods you'd know.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

rudatron posted:

The willingness of too many on the left to fall for unscrupulous right wing hit jobs is embarrassing. The right never throws their own under the bus, and that's why they're in control of the entire country right now.

I don't think the left considers law enforcement their own.

Which makes sense since neither does law enforcement.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

You also think that the Left is going too far in sex pest stuff. LEOs are poo poo, that doesn't mean they were wrong here, but lol if you've had any experience with these dudes out in the woods you'd know.

So what did you get cited for?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

rudatron posted:

the right constantly throws their own under buses, they're in control of the country cause A) amerikkka sucks lol B) there was no left to vote for

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kazak_Hstan posted:

So what did you get cited for?

Assembling without a permit, which is and continues to be a bullshit cite which was thrown out but it means I had to go in front of a judge. The right of the people peaceably to assemble doesn't require a permit, much to the continued disgust of LEOs. The year after that they tried to get people on conspiracy charges, conspiracy to peaceably assemble ffs. The Bundies are poo poo, but LEOs are scum.

*edit* I'm sure you're one of the good ones, but if you haven't noticed that some of the people you work with are ignorant shitkickers who get off on having power then you're not paying attention.

Relevant Tangent has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Dec 24, 2017

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
edit:nm

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lol get ready

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/950099261789683713

(Though I don't really see anything in the article other than "the judge might do this")

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm really glad to know that it's now legal to not pay grazing fees, point guns at government agents, and illegally occupy federal land (while wrecking the poo poo out of it and stealing cars).

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Being white is wild as gently caress, you guys have got to get in on it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So will Trump give the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the Bundys this year or next year?

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm really glad to know that it's now legal to not pay grazing fees, point guns at government agents, and illegally occupy federal land (while wrecking the poo poo out of it and stealing cars).

Only if you're white and right wing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TotalLossBrain posted:

lol get ready

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/950099261789683713

(Though I don't really see anything in the article other than "the judge might do this")

If the brady violations were particularly bad, I could see this happening.
Do note that judges say they are considering dismissing cases after serious violations, even when they don't dismiss the case so that the prosecution thinks about how loving dumb they were.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Well poo poo.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/cliven-bundy-ammon-ryan-payne-nevada-case-dismissed/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
world is a gently caress nothing matters

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MOVE, an admittedly contentious black separatist group, literally gets bombed by police. Arial goddamn bombardment from a helicopter on a residential neighborhood, killing eleven (mostly children) and dispossessing hundreds. No one involved in bombing Americans in an American city were charged.

These guys get kid gloves during an armed standoff and charges dropped.

This fukkin' country.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The cows are still there, they haven’t paid grazing fees for decades, and they aren’t going to.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I can't see these idiots not doing something like this again now that they've gotten away with it twice, and next time I have a hard time believing the feds won't just light their asses up at the first semi-plausible excuse.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ryan zinke and his dumb loving hat are going to prevent BLM from doing poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I can't see these idiots not doing something like this again now that they've gotten away with it twice, and next time I have a hard time believing the feds won't just light their asses up at the first semi-plausible excuse.

i hope this happens

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Looking forward to Klavern Bundy getting sworn in as Secretary of the Interior next month.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lol

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

MOVE, an admittedly contentious black separatist group, literally gets bombed by police. Arial goddamn bombardment from a helicopter on a residential neighborhood

literally bombed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

MOVE, an admittedly contentious black separatist group, literally gets bombed by police. Arial goddamn bombardment from a helicopter on a residential neighborhood, killing eleven (mostly children) and dispossessing hundreds. No one involved in bombing Americans in an American city were charged.

These guys get kid gloves during an armed standoff and charges dropped.

This fukkin' country.

people being acquitted due to incompetent police and prosecutors is good because it theoretically encourages them to not violate people’s rights in the future

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

literally bombed

This can't be overstated. Cops literally bombed basically the urban, black version of the Bundy clan, and none of them got in trouble for it.

AFAIK, the only other time aircraft flown by Americans deliberately dropped bombs on Americans was the 1921 Tulsa race riot... again cops bombing black Americans.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
what's keeping the feds from just shooting Bundy's cattle that's on their land

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

what's keeping the feds from just shooting Bundy's cattle that's on their land

the law

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

This can't be overstated. Cops literally bombed basically the urban, black version of the Bundy clan, and none of them got in trouble for it.

AFAIK, the only other time aircraft flown by Americans deliberately dropped bombs on Americans was the 1921 Tulsa race riot... again cops bombing black Americans.

At the Battle of Blair Mountain, company airplanes dropped explosives on the miners, with Army Air Corp bombers providing "aerial surveillance."

quote:

The following day, President Warren Harding threatened to send in federal troops and Army Martin MB-1 bombers. After a long meeting in the town of Madison, the seat of Boone County, agreements were made convincing the miners to return home. However, the struggle was far from over. After spending days to assemble his private army, Chafin was not going to be denied his battle to end union attempts at organizing Logan County coal mines. Within hours of the Madison decision, rumors abounded that Sheriff Chafin's men had shot union sympathizers in the town of Sharples, West Virginia, just north of Blair Mountain—and that families had been caught in crossfire during the skirmishes. Infuriated, the miners turned back towards Blair Mountain, many traveling in other stolen and commandeered trains.

By August 29, battle was fully joined. Chafin's men, though outnumbered, had the advantage of higher positions and better weaponry. Private planes were hired to drop homemade bombs on the miners. A combination of gas and explosive bombs left over from World War I were dropped in several locations near the towns of Jeffery, Sharples and Blair. At least one did not explode and was recovered by the miners; it was used months later to great effect during treason and murder trials following the battle. On orders from General Billy Mitchell, Army bombers from Maryland were also used for aerial surveillance. One Martin bomber crashed on its return flight, killing the three members of the crew

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

What happened? Birder listserv going nuts about Bundys. I should take some screenshots and anonymize....

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

quote:

One Martin bomber crashed on its return flight, killing the three members of the crew

good im glad of it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WrenP-Complete posted:

What happened? Birder listserv going nuts about Bundys. I should take some screenshots and anonymize....

case thrown out because the Feds were dumb

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, it's time to case caring about bloodshed.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Janet Reno died for this

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Wasn't the withheld piece of evidence an assessment by the Feds "Bundys are all talk, not dangerous" right before they took up arms the first time?

I wonder if in the future every piece of paper about the Bundys will be labeled 'Dangerous, shoot on sight'

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
what the hell are these supposed Brady violations?

the so-called "whistleblower" who was alleging Brady violations was just a Mormon BLM agent who thought that the Bundy case was discrimination against Mormons and didn't believe that the federal government had the right to own land. so this has to be something else, right?

moreover, I have a hard time coming up with what could possibly be "potentially exculpatory evidence". they were there, pointing guns at federal agents. they were caught on camera doing it. what the gently caress could the prosecution possibly have withheld that would have helped the Bundys?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Main Paineframe posted:

the so-called "whistleblower" who was alleging Brady violations was just a Mormon BLM agent who thought that the Bundy case was discrimination against Mormons and didn't believe that the federal government had the right to own land. so this has to be something else, right?

moreover, I have a hard time coming up with what could possibly be "potentially exculpatory evidence". they were there, pointing guns at federal agents. they were caught on camera doing it. what the gently caress could the prosecution possibly have withheld that would have helped the Bundys?

IIRC there were a few federal agents with demonstrated grudges against bundys and mormons that were involved and reports regarding such weren't turned over.

They were benign, but still were violations. Anytime there's anything that looks remotely like a coverup it basically taints further prosecution.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Main Paineframe posted:

quote:

The judge found the prosecutors' violations were "willful,'' and led to due process violations. She said they waited too long to provide FBI and other agency reports and maps on surveillance, including a camera and snipers, outside the Bundy ranch, threat assessments that indicated the Bundys weren't violent and nearly 500 pages of internal affairs documents involving U.S. Bureau of Land Management special agent Dan Love, who led the cattle roundup. He has since been fired from the agency for unrelated misconduct.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2017/12/nevada_prosecutors_seek_new_tr.html

Bulllllshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lol just lol, kill them* all next tim

*To be interpreted by The FBI as "peaceful Trump protesters" someone soon