Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ranged units should not exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

That's even better.

I shouldn't be able to fire into Paris from London.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, I got it through humble monthly

Now I just have to wait some years for the linux port

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

John F Bennett posted:

There are no hitpoints in life, man. An army doesn't regroup that quickly without supply lines.

Which brings me to another thing

Gedemon is actually working on an overhaul mod that adds supply lines for units, among many other things. It sounds interesting but also really complex. If it even gets more or less finished, Gedemon is saying it'll take years.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

John F Bennett posted:

Cities should not be able to bombard.

Nah I think this is a really under-celebrated system that Civ VI got right. Cities need walls to bombard, meaning early and new cities need protection until they're willing to commit the production cost for walls. And trading that time in an early city from a monument or granary to walls can be a pretty important choice.

It's a solid system.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ranged units should not exist

I'm OK with ranged units like they were in Civ 4. Bombers could damage you down to 20% or so after 8 runs or so, but they couldn't kill you.

This "archers have riskless attacks and decent melee defense so every army is 90% archers" poo poo has gotta go.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Now I just have to wait some years for the linux port

There is one already.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I like Civ VI's barbarians a lot. I wish that a rough start (e.g. starting somewhere you could have two or more camps alerted to you) weren't so rough, though. You can survive by cranking out military units, but there's a huge opportunity cost; unless you're one of the civs that gets something more from fighting them, you're better off starting over. Maybe lift the experience cap in the first age, where number of camps alerted to you = max promotion level for full barbarian XP?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

An actual notification where the camp is when it spawns or when you first explore into it would be nice too. That dumb sound effect is just annoying since it means you have to look around every single tile you have explored and it took a while before I even figured out what it meant. Total dev fail.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

HappyCamperGL posted:

There is one already.

oh gently caress there is. For some reason I though only the OSX port had been released

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Elias_Maluco posted:

oh gently caress there is. For some reason I though only the OSX port had been released

It's still lagging behind by a few months every time Firaxis releases an update or DLC. The last one still hasn't been ported since (I assume?) Aspyr has been working on the iPad port.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Poil posted:

An actual notification where the camp is when it spawns or when you first explore into it would be nice too. That dumb sound effect is just annoying since it means you have to look around every single tile you have explored and it took a while before I even figured out what it meant. Total dev fail.

also heavens forbid you've got the game sounds turned down

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

markus_cz posted:

This has been happening for some time and must be a bug. I use no mods whatsoever and I've done a clean reinstall. Hopefully they'll get it fixed in the upcoming expansion because I've sent them like a million crash reports. So far the "only" solution is to plan your whole turn ahead while letting it crash and restarting... and then once you know exactly what you want to do, just load the game, do all the moves very quickly and send it before it manages to crash. It's not a very good solution. :(

My current wild theory is that it's something music related (Kongo?) since it only seems to be crashing when no music track is playing and presumably at a time when another one would start. I might be very wrong though. I also haven't tested it yet while having music disabled.

I'll go ahead and test the no music theory since it crashed me another two times within a handful of minutes. This is kinda a bummer to discover.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/950381673941647360

New civ peek. People are thinking it's Georgia, led by Tamar; they had both curved swords and these things, and there's some quote about Tamar comparing her to a lion apparently.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Will all these new civs be part of the expansion or a seperate buy?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Part of the expansion.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the expansion includes eight new civs, plus Chandragupta as an alternate leader choice for India, in addition to all the new mechanics and whatnot.

So far we have Korea, the Netherlands, Mongolia, the Cree, and now Georgia. Three left.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Are we sure it's Georgia? It could be Armenia, or Trebizond, or Byzantium? Maybe the Seljuk Turks? I don't know which of these have lions as symbol.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Deltasquid posted:

Byzantium?

Rome's already in the game. :smug:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speaking of lion, was there ever a Israel civ in any civ game? Seems very apt, but I guess is a bit of a :can:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I'd be cool with a Byzantine ruler being an alternative to Trajan actually. I just miss Cataphracts.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Tiberius Thyben posted:

rome is in civ 4 five times with eight different leaders

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking of lion, was there ever a Israel civ in any civ game? Seems very apt, but I guess is a bit of a :can:

Lions have been used as symbols by a lot of nations.

For all we know, this is Sweden.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Just lifting this from CivFanatics but the sword, shield and round knuckledusters(?) are all Georgian style, Queen Tamar has a quote likening her to a lion and the lion pictured is lifted directly from a painting by a a Georgian artist.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
That's clearly the Incas.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Tamar of Georgia was pretty memetic back when people were trying to decipher the board of leaders before launch.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prav posted:

also heavens forbid you've got the game sounds turned down
Or people with hearing disabilities. You wouldn't think Civ would be a bad choice for them, but they managed.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

What is so weird about this series is that the developers can see Civfanatics and respond to calls for Brazil and Georgia, but can't do anything in response to "Rationalism in Civ V is clearly overpowered" or "I'd like a UI developed by humans for humans."

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

It's not just the UI that's poorly-made, but the written text for the different abilities of leaders and civilizations are incredibly sloppy. Go read the descriptions for Hanzas and the Roman Baths for both very minimalist writing and how not to copy/paste. The Brazilian ability Amazon is flat out wrong; you don't get +1 housing from rainforest, that's just a consequence of rainforests providing +1 appeal to Brazilian lands. Descriptions for leader abilities are inconsistent in which person it refers to (the leader, the civilization, you, etc.). It's all a bunch of little things, but it's one more aspect in which Firaxis are so unfocused. Funnily enough, if you read Harald's civilopedia page, it mentions at one point getting a Just Cause enhancer belief: there is no such belief in the game.

On that note, I love how even that page admits that there is no real synergy between the Stave Church building and the rest of Norway's abilities.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Nothing funnier than calling Native Americans greedy when it comes to how they view portrayal of their culture.

That actually is pretty funny now that I think about it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Elias_Maluco posted:

Firaxis has made it clear there's never going to be an Israel civ because they're not touching that powder keg with an 80 foot pole. It's always the first mod in every game

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They even specifically noted they made all religions completely the same just because someone or another would inevitably flip their poo poo if they weren't.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Deltasquid posted:

Are we sure it's Georgia? It could be Armenia, or Trebizond, or Byzantium? Maybe the Seljuk Turks? I don't know which of these have lions as symbol.

It's quite weird that Armenia has never been in it but perhaps it opens a bit of a thing with Turkey.

Trebizond would be a really weird civ to throw into the game. Short lived successor states are surely not something that they'd ever bother with?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Gort posted:

I'm OK with ranged units like they were in Civ 4. Bombers could damage you down to 20% or so after 8 runs or so, but they couldn't kill you.

This "archers have riskless attacks and decent melee defense so every army is 90% archers" poo poo has gotta go.

Let ranged units (and cities?) counter ranged attacks (possibly at half-strength?), and reduce melee defense of ranged units to almost nothing? Maybe give non-ranged units an early promotion that reduces damage from ranged attacks.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm only a game and a half into Civ6 and I think it's very worth it. The most glaring flaw is that they somehow made archers even more dominant than Civ5 and the AI still can't cope.

It leaves a good first impression, but it's kinda shallow. Still, enjoy it while it's enjoyable. I did have fun with it at first as well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Megazver posted:

It leaves a good first impression, but it's kinda shallow. Still, enjoy it while it's enjoyable. I did have fun with it at first as well.

I think I got about 4 games in before I realised that domination is so superior to any other victory and started conquering people at the start. Which I've never done in a Civ before but it just feels like anything else here takes forever.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Megazver posted:

Yep. A couple of games in and you'll be like:

"This game is great. I'm going to up the difficulty a little bit, pay close attention to my empire, and really enjoy the nuances of this game. Look, I have extra spice. I should trade that with someone. No reason to have extra spice laying around when gold can be made off of it. So how do I find out who needs spice? I have to check each individual leader screen? Oh look, I finally found someone needing spice. They want to give me $1 per turn in exchange for spice as long as I throw in Michelago's David. Maybe I'll just hold onto to this extra luxury resource, that is of no value to me, because the game punishes me for trying to trade this extra resource that exists and was designed specifically to be traded."

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 8, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eric the Mauve posted:

Firaxis has made it clear there's never going to be an Israel civ because they're not touching that powder keg with an 80 foot pole. It's always the first mod in every game

I think Hitler's always the first, really. There is an Israel mod for VI that was finished recently though. Looks both kind of boring and maybe a little OP, but not in a really interesting way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Roland Jones posted:

I think Hitler's always the first, really. There is an Israel mod for VI that was finished recently though. Looks both kind of boring and maybe a little OP, but not in a really interesting way.

Also high on the list are the pony mods and the nude female leaders mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Human Crouton posted:

Maybe I'll just hold onto to this extra luxury resource, that is of no value to me, because the game punishes me for trying to trade this extra resource that exists and was designed specifically to be traded.

interestingly enough, the trade AI recognizes this as a valid deal to put on the table (which is probably related to why they ask for it if you request a counter-offer), and they'll happily contact you where they offer a great work + a luxury for 1gpt, but when you click accept, they'll tell you that it's a terrible deal

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 8, 2018