Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Half of Wild Arms 3 feels like an unnecessary final chapter

The Last Jedi but 15 years early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Related: wild arms 4 seems good. Everyone in cast looks like a cliche, but they're actually competent, self-reflective, nice people (so far).

And the hex system is a simple way of adding a whole new dimension to otherwise rote jrpg combat.

Raquel's cool (and seemingly overpowered).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Last Jedi but 15 years early

I'd be hype for kaneko star wars

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wild arms 4 is the one everyone hates but it sounds like it's mainly because it's got pretty bad pacing issues

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rinkles posted:

Related: wild arms 4 seems good. Everyone in cast looks like a cliche, but they're actually competent, self-reflective, nice people (so far).

And the hex system is a simple way of adding a whole new dimension to otherwise rote jrpg combat.

hahaha see if you stil think that when you beat it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

wild arms 4 is the one everyone hates but it sounds like it's mainly because it's got pretty bad pacing issues

It's really disgusting thematically is the big thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

It's really disgusting thematically is the big thing.

Something about adults sucking?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Rinkles posted:

Raquel can kill the series' recurring optional super boss in one hit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is the morality thing in fallen Legion fluff, because I just pick buffs based on what I think are good but then the game tells me DRASTIC decisions were made.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Something about adults sucking?

It's pretty much basically "adulthood sucks and the best solution is to find ways to put it off or cut yourself off from people rather than becoming a Bad Adult." Like 'becoming teen pregnant and then dying of plot cancer" is shown as a more ethically correct option than becoming an adult.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty much basically "adulthood sucks and the best solution is to find ways to put it off or cut yourself off from people rather than becoming a Bad Adult."

They're right.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Sounds like a game after my own heart

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty much basically "adulthood sucks and the best solution is to find ways to put it off or cut yourself off from people rather than becoming a Bad Adult." Like 'becoming teen pregnant and then dying of plot cancer" is shown as a more ethically correct option than becoming an adult.
i dont think thats really the case i felt like that was less 'ethically correct' and it was more about realizing and accepting when things need to change. people have posted this read a lot and i never really got why they took it to such an extreme.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've heard people say that about wild arms 4 a lot and it just sounds bizarre to me because that totally goes against the kind of stuff kaneko writes about, like a bunch of the characters in symphogear are Cool Adults who specifically want to help out the younger characters and fight to make the world better and it's not really a theme wild arms 1-3 go for at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean writers can be in weird places or go for one angle and have it come across as the other. i can definitely get why people think WA4 is pretty weird thematically but i dont think its literally disgusting or whatever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

its boring and it sucks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i dont think thats really the case i felt like that was less 'ethically correct' and it was more about realizing and accepting when things need to change. people have posted this read a lot and i never really got why they took it to such an extreme.

Because it's not really about accepting when things need to change. Most of the cast's ending is just "welp giving up, poo poo's gonna suck." Jude's ending literally says "he lives in a mountain hut, surrounded by animals instead of people, and that is why he retains his innocence!" Yulie probably comes off the best and even then there's the uncomfortable idea that it's only because she spends her time with children instead of adults. Jude's ending in particular is just sort of "Jude gets to keep his innocence because he stays away from people" being framed as a good thing and that's really messed up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Because it's not really about accepting when things need to change. Most of the cast's ending is just "welp giving up, poo poo's gonna suck." Jude's ending literally says "he lives in a mountain hut, surrounded by animals instead of people, and that is why he retains his innocence!" Yulie probably comes off the best and even then there's the uncomfortable idea that it's only because she spends her time with children instead of adults.

I don't think that's really giving up so much as him just doing what makes him happy/content. It's hard to tell whether it's meant to be canon or not but Jude's in WA5 and doesn't seem to be some horrible hermit cut off from the world, he just lives with his animal buddies and asks you to look for a kitten. The WA5 cameos are probably noncanon because there's a sidequest to save Raquel's life, or at least get her some medicine that might help her a bit, but I'd still say they kinda count in a characterization sense. As for Yulie, well, she's obviously an adult with influence on kids as a teacher, and she didn't immediately turn every kid she came in contact with into a monster.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Being a hermit with animals sounds good and fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I don't think that's really giving up so much as him just doing what makes him happy/content. It's hard to tell whether it's meant to be canon or not but Jude's in WA5 and doesn't seem to be some horrible hermit cut off from the world, he just lives with his animal buddies and asks you to look for a kitten. The WA5 cameos are probably noncanon because there's a sidequest to save Raquel's life, or at least get her some medicine that might help her a bit, but I'd still say they kinda count in a characterization sense. As for Yulie, well, she's obviously an adult with influence on kids as a teacher, and she didn't immediately turn every kid she came in contact with into a monster.

That's why it's weird though. That's true in WA4 too, the shot is of him smiling and happy and content. Which considering the rest of the game it's just... weird that Jude's ending is "yeah actually I'm much happier without people." Proud Of The Neck Up and Raquel at least are weird but weird in a sort of understandable "we're facing the future even if it kinda sucks" way. I don't think it was necessarily the intended plot but WA4's themes are so all over the place it's hard to say a lot about what it's plot was. It's somehow more disjointed than WA2 and 3 and both those games are incredibly all over the place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I definitely agree that WA4 is all over the place and the WA5 cameos are, if anything, an attempt to try and give the characters a better send off, but at the same time I'd say the ending was the one part of the game that actually kinda worked. When Hauser says that Jude can rest now and Jude actually takes him up on it, it felt pretty satisfying to me. I liked the idea that after everything Jude had just had his fill of adventure and just wanted to relax.

It's been ages since I beat WA4 but iirc there's that endcard that's like 'The party never reunited again' but I think that was meant to be because Raquel died, not because Jude never bothered to check in on Yulie or good head boy. So how you interpret that bit might also affect how you read the ending.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Counterpoint: https://youtu.be/J9KFOJzn3u4

But really Wild Arms 4 is an okay game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
WA4's gameplay at least is pretty fun.

5 took most of it and made it better, even if the plot manages to somehow be even dumber.

I'd replay both if they were ported to PC or PS4 though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The Colonel posted:

i've heard people say that about wild arms 4 a lot and it just sounds bizarre to me because that totally goes against the kind of stuff kaneko writes about, like a bunch of the characters in symphogear are Cool Adults who specifically want to help out the younger characters and fight to make the world better and it's not really a theme wild arms 1-3 go for at all

Everyone has their bad days it's just that some people write an entire jrpg during them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kaneko's dad died and his response was to write an anime season in which the main character's dad shows up after having walked out on the family ten years ago to try and make her pay for his meal at denny's

dude's got some baggage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wild Arms genuinely does not have much good to say about parents, in retrospect. They're either dead or caused fuckloads of problems.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kaneko tried to redeem a parent once and it was with someone realizing their dad loved them because he never cleaned their room

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

LET'S DISCUSS WILD ARMS XF

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ImpAtom posted:

How James Joyce of them.

For reference:
In Joyce's novella "the Dead" basically the idea is that the only truly alive people are drunks, poo poo-stirrers and actual dead people because they don't have to deal with the bullshit tedium of adult obligations and responsibilities. I swear that whole story was created because somebody dragged Joyce to a function he didn't want to be at but he couldn't passive-aggressively post on twitter all night because twitter wasn't invented yet.

I bounced off that game pretty hard. Not that it was bad, it just couldn't maintain my interest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Wild Arms genuinely does not have much good to say about parents, in retrospect. They're either dead or caused fuckloads of problems.
symphogear doesn't have many good dads but it does have one really good uncle

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's good and I would play a sequel :hai:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand symphogear does have a dad so comically evil that he puts any jrpg dad to shame

1) japanese nationalist
2) thought his sons were pathetic (one was a pencil pusher, the other was sympathetic to foreign powers especially the chinese)
3) hosed his son's wife in order to try and have a strong heir
4) abandoned the kid when it was born a girl
5) literally worked with the nazis in world war 2

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's good and I would play a sequel :hai:
xf was okay

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

clive is a... well absentee father

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

on the other hand symphogear does have a dad so comically evil that he puts any jrpg dad to shame

1) japanese nationalist
2) thought his sons were pathetic (one was a pencil pusher, the other was sympathetic to foreign powers especially the chinese)
3) hosed his son's wife in order to try and have a strong heir
4) abandoned the kid when it was born a girl
5) literally worked with the nazis in world war 2

xf was okay

Did....did he have a reason why it had to be his sons wife.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

CharlestheHammer posted:

His son was failing to have a heir. Otherwise no

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

convenience?

edit: also to own his failson brutally

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because of Evangelion

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
X-Men Destiny is a poo poo game but man is the DS version the best by a mile because it turns a trash fire brawler into a budget Infamous in progression and moral systems.

That's my RPG for the week.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ds version was farmed out instead of by the trash fire that's post-gamecube silicon knights, iirc, so makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Endorph posted:

the ds version was farmed out instead of by the trash fire that's post-gamecube silicon knights, iirc, so makes sense

Yeah, it's very clear whoever these dudes were, they weren't hampered by the shitshow that was the Silicon Knights development. I'm willing to bet if I play it to the end it will also last longer than 6 hours.