Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Does anyone have a go-to for ordering figuarts? I collect the dragonball line but I've had a harder time keeping up with the pre-orders, and there are a lot coming out this year. I usually check amiami but it doesn't seem like they're keeping up with the release schedule any more. Amazon has everything listed but a month or two past Japanese release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://hlj.com/ is the other big one for preorders, couldn't tell you if they keep up though since I don't know what to look for.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

Big Mean Jerk said it's a paint change and not a sculpt one, but I don't know for sure.

The ones doing scanned sculpts usually have cheap mass market paint on top of it, but that looks better than a bad sculpt with decent paint.

I’m not super informed on their process, but most customizers seem to agree that the sculpts are great but the paint apps are awful and just slathered on. I can’t find it right now but there’s a picture floating around that compares the TFA Rey with the new TLJ Rey and the difference is astonishing. It’s almost Mafex/Figuarts quality IMO.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Which Rey?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m not super informed on their process, but most customizers seem to agree that the sculpts are great but the paint apps are awful and just slathered on. I can’t find it right now but there’s a picture floating around that compares the TFA Rey with the new TLJ Rey and the difference is astonishing. It’s almost Mafex/Figuarts quality IMO.

Looks like they already made that investment then. That's good, it makes a huge difference.

I looked up some photos and you can definitely see the likeness in Rey. Big improvement. The head still looks a bit too large so it's kind of like someone pasted Daisy Ridley's face onto there instead of a 3D model, but that's a big jump in quality for Black Series.

Marvel Legends have had some nice improvements lately too. The face on Jean in the Cyclops 2 pack is a big jump even from the green costume Phoenix released like a year earlier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want that tru Rey bad, but I’ve only seen it at the one I worked at and I’m never going back there. Is it worth it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I think it’s called “Island Journey Rey”. It’s the Resistance outfit she wears with the poncho.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh. One of those tiny figures. I thought you were talking about the black series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No he’s talking about an upcoming 6”. It just hit some stores. Same design as the 3.75”, but it’s the first one with the new face printing process.

http://www.dorksidetoys.com/Star-Wars-Black-Series-Rey-Island-Journey-6-Actio-p/e0621ax00.htm

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ahhhh okay. I’ll buy that when I see it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I believe there’s a Captain Rex with the same paint app tech in that wave as well

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, the wave is: Stormtrooper, Phasma, Lando, Royal Guard (red guys), Poe, Rey, DJ, and Rex.

The new process is hit and miss because Poe and DJ are pretty bad still.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 7, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress Phasma.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, the wave is: Stormtrooper, Phasma, Lando, Royal Guard (red guys), Poe, Rey, DJ, and Rex.

The new process is hit and miss because Poe and DJ are pretty bad still.

Poe is just a repack without printing.
Rey, Rex, and DJ are the only ones with it in that case.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Poe is just a repack without printing.
Rey, Rex, and DJ are the only ones with it in that case.

Ahh, that makes sense.

DJ didn’t turn out well but you can at least tell that they made it with a fancier procedure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
To be fair, Benicio Del Toro can’t be an easy likeness to capture at 1/12 without looking like a pile of eyelids.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hmm. I must've slept through the rug monster trying to eat her head in the movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Soft goods at this scale is bad. Then you get Hasbro Black Series trash and you end up with that.

Cool on them doing the face printing stuff tho.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Does anyone have a go-to for ordering figuarts? I collect the dragonball line but I've had a harder time keeping up with the pre-orders, and there are a lot coming out this year. I usually check amiami but it doesn't seem like they're keeping up with the release schedule any more. Amazon has everything listed but a month or two past Japanese release date.

Ended up solving my own problem; BBTS seems to have all the upcoming releases listed, and with dates estimated about 2 months earlier than Amazon. Anybody know how good they are about release dates/if their shipping is expensive or not?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shipping's cheap and you'll get it, they're reliable, but stuff slips a lot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

God drat. How much did this cost?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

s.i.r.e. posted:

God drat. How much did this cost?

depends on where you shopped, for just the tank ¥15,984 it was according to my invoice, so like 140USD plus shipping back then. shipping varied place to place but if you ordered from the good smile store they had a flat shipping rate of 2000 yen per order so i brought from there

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So just over double a figure really. Not too bad.

I guess that flat rate is the one other good time to order direct from Goodsmile.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Vintersorg posted:

Soft goods at this scale is bad. Then you get Hasbro Black Series trash and you end up with that.

Cool on them doing the face printing stuff tho.

I still can’t believe how much success Mezco’s 1:12 Collective line is having, considering that it should be called the Everyone is Dressed in Daddy’s Cable Knit Sweater collection.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My new favorite bad decision there is the black suit Spidey.

Big hunk of ugly plastic head and that knit costume. Regular Spidey conceals it a bit better because his suit has the web lines at least but black suit is just a guy in a wool onesie.

I know when you have the license you want to make the big names, but not everyone can work in that style.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bring back Megos imo

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hmm. I must've slept through the rug monster trying to eat her head in the movie.

Episode IX spoilers: Rey's father is actually the Flatwoods Monster

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The best part is that that cloak is a hood, they just folded it back to make it look like a vampire collar so you could see the face and also because ahahaha holy poo poo that hood will fit terribly when up.

The cloth goods are the only reason I don't get any Mezco figures. If they had regular plastic outfits molded on with all those accessories, I'd be all over them at that price point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I usually just toss the soft goods that come with BS figs and buy better ones off eBay. I’ve heard some of the robes work better after you get them damp and drape them on the fig to dry, but I’ve never tried. I can’t imagine anything saving that cloak though.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I still can’t believe how much success Mezco’s 1:12 Collective line is having, considering that it should be called the Everyone is Dressed in Daddy’s Cable Knit Sweater collection.

I went from thinking these were dumb as it gets to my favorite toy line. Something about them give me a vintage / retro toy vibe while being totally modern. They really are better in person than pics online.

That being said, you are spot on with the cable knit sweater comment, lol.

Fuzz posted:

The cloth goods are the only reason I don't get any Mezco figures. If they had regular plastic outfits molded on with all those accessories, I'd be all over them at that price point.

Iron man literally went up for pre-order about 2 hours ago: https://www.mezcotoyz.com/one-12-collective-iron-man

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Some of those One:12 figures work really well, like Punisher, Armored BvS Batman, Frankenstein, Green Arrow, and the Star Trek figures. They also tend to look a lot better in person.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

here are two things I bought in one picture

gregday
May 23, 2003

Finally got the pneumatic mangler finished and mounted to a spare gauntlet. If you don’t remember this, it was used in the beginning of The Dark Knight to bend a rifle barrel and rip a hole in the Scarecrow’s van.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well you answered my question, because I was wondering what the hell Batman uses a mangler for.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

If anybody here has not watched "The Toys That Made Us" on Netflix... get to it. That poo poo is wonderful.

I was worried it was going to be like the old Chris Farley interviews on SNL... "hey, remember ____? heh, that was cool..." but it turns out to be some great documentary filmmaking about the cutthroat toy business and the crazy weirdos who came up with this stuff. It's hilarious. The He-Man episode is far and away the best, but it's worth watching them all in order, because there is an overarching narrative about a lot of the same people collaborating and competing over the years. I would strongly recommend this to people whether they like toys or not, but if you do... it's basically mandatory viewing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Agreed on the MOTU ep, it was a lot of fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish there was one about McFarlane or aliens toys. Only the Star Wars one hit that nice nostalgia spot.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
There's four more episodes (Lego, Transformers, Star Trek, and Hello Kitty) and it's done well enough they might do another season.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Star Trek toys got an episode? Really? Aside from the teleporter and the ships (and spocks helmet laffo) the toys are stupidly boring.

EDIT: I keep thinking about the lame rear end accessories the figures came with especially. A padd! Picard's desktop computer thing! The cylinder gymbag thing!

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Show's not so much about the toys, but behind the scenes decision making. With how stupid star trek toys have been and how many times the license has changed hands, there's a good chance it'll be interesting.