Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
In a pressure cooker, 33% more space will be way more useful than the other functions of the others. 99% of the time you're just going to press manual and set a time anyway. The 8qt model is only available in the base line, so you have to make your choice between more buttons and more day-to-day functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Get the 8 qt. The extra space is much better than extra buttons. I don’t know about everybody else, but I basically only use two buttons, sauté and manual.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I also asked a similar question some time back and I ended up with the 8qt model. The extra amount is worth it and it turns out that I also only use the saute and manual buttons anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use the 6qt and it makes way too much food. But I'm not doing like whole loin roasts or anything like that. Usually curry and soups.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I live alone, and got the 3 qt. I like it in that I don't make vast quantities of food, so I'm not sick of all of the leftovers.

The recipes I use are pretty simple as well, so it's nothing to just make a new pot of food every couple of days or so.

I also only use 'Manual' and 'Saute', though I do want to try the yogurt making at some point.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Qu Appelle posted:

I live alone, and got the 3 qt. I like it in that I don't make vast quantities of food, so I'm not sick of all of the leftovers.

The recipes I use are pretty simple as well, so it's nothing to just make a new pot of food every couple of days or so.

I also only use 'Manual' and 'Saute', though I do want to try the yogurt making at some point.

Cool, so DUO when and if it comes back in stock at the $60 price range I saw last time... as much as I appreciate it, I probably won't be doing that much food so I'll stick with the 3 qt.

EDIT: There's a friend on Facebook whom is telling me that he made ribs in them. 25 minutes, high pressure, finished in oven... God drat...

EDIT 2: vvvv AND Ordered.

Malek fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 2, 2018

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Malek posted:

Ahhh good point. Okay so I'll just wait... still wondering which model to get. :/

Target seems to have them in stock for normal (but not exceptionally low) prices.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I've read a little bit about the Instant Pot's silicone ring absorbing flavours, is it really noticeable in the stuff you cook?

I ask because this morning when I opened it up, I could very readily smell the vegetable stock I made a few days prior. Nothing noticeable in the taste of the oatmeal, but if it is common for the ring to bleed flavours I'd rather not find out in my morning no-effort breakfast.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I got a 6 qt Power Pressure Cooker XL for Christmas. I took it on its maiden voyage this weekend. There's exactly enough space in there for a 6.5 lb chicken stuffed with carrots and onions. It came out perfect, I was super impressed. I made risotto in the leftover broth to go with it. Tomorrow I'm gonna cook a chuck eye roast in there with like some kind of red wine sauce.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

So I've read a little bit about the Instant Pot's silicone ring absorbing flavours, is it really noticeable in the stuff you cook?

I ask because this morning when I opened it up, I could very readily smell the vegetable stock I made a few days prior. Nothing noticeable in the taste of the oatmeal, but if it is common for the ring to bleed flavours I'd rather not find out in my morning no-effort breakfast.

I’ve never had a problem with the flavors transferring via the silicone ring. I did have one time where I had to pull the ring out and wash it when I put too much stuff and it overflowed, but that was really obvious with food stuck to it and stuff.

You should replace the ring every so often anyway (1-3 times a year, I think?) which should help as well.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I've found that the ring does retain aromas and flavors no matter how well I wash it. It's not usually an issue but it's definitely noticeable when I make yogurt, for instance. I ended up buying some replacement rings for like :10bux: on amazon and now I just have a ring that is only used for yogurt.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsech posted:

I’ve never had a problem with the flavors transferring via the silicone ring. I did have one time where I had to pull the ring out and wash it when I put too much stuff and it overflowed, but that was really obvious with food stuck to it and stuff.

You should replace the ring every so often anyway (1-3 times a year, I think?) which should help as well.

Didn't know that's how often you're supposed to replace them, thanks!

Mikey Purp posted:

I've found that the ring does retain aromas and flavors no matter how well I wash it. It's not usually an issue but it's definitely noticeable when I make yogurt, for instance. I ended up buying some replacement rings for like :10bux: on amazon and now I just have a ring that is only used for yogurt.

Yeah, there's a double pack of coloured rings for like $12 bucks, guess I'll just buy them real quick, twist my arm about buying new accessories for my favourite kitchen gadget... :classiclol:

Now once I perfect my delay-start oatmeal I can move on to something bigger and better, like a pot roast or something...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Does anyone use a stovetop anymore? A thingie on my current one's lid broke and I'm trying to resist using this as an excuse to just get an instant pot instead. Mostly I'm just leery of the fact that stovetop and electric have different cook times and recipes rarely specify both or even which kind their times are meant for.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AnonSpore posted:

Does anyone use a stovetop anymore? A thingie on my current one's lid broke and I'm trying to resist using this as an excuse to just get an instant pot instead. Mostly I'm just leery of the fact that stovetop and electric have different cook times and recipes rarely specify both or even which kind their times are meant for.

I mean, I think either direction is fine, as you've been using a stovetop one this whole time anyway. There's like a million instant pot recipes floating around the internet that you can use to figure out adaptations, though.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
How do you make one serving of oatmeal in an 8 quart Instant Pot? Do I need to get a metal or silicon bowl or something?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AnonSpore posted:

I've only ever used a stovetop. They work fine.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Unbelievably White posted:

How do you make one serving of oatmeal in an 8 quart Instant Pot? Do I need to get a metal or silicon bowl or something?

You could do it in a larger ramekin or bowl, probably would want to use the stand, mix your oat meal with water and just dump a cup of water in the bottom to steam with.

Honestly sounds like a lot of work though, I would just cook up 3 or 4 days worth and toss the leftovers in the refrigerator.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I made some butter chicken tonight with my Instant Pot. I was happily surprised how well it turned out. One nice surprise was that the chicken thighs ended up being very tender. Is this a side affect of cooking in a pressure cooker or did I just get decent thighs?

Also, I cooked some basmati rice in it after taking the butter chicken out. I used cooking times posted online, but a ton stuck to the bottom of the pot. I'm sure I'm going to get some stuck rice, but it seems like I probably should add more water next time?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tender meat is the point of pressure cookers. It's like cooking something for hours in 20 minutes.

As for the rice, what was your actual cooking time? You only need to pressure cook (on low) for like 7 minutes but then you should do a natural release for another 10 minutes after that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I usually do the cooking but my wife decided to make pork ribs in the instant pot and I didn't like the texture. She did 25 min on high with one cup of beef stock and some BBQ sauce. The meat was dry and something odd about the texture. Anyone else doing ribs? How do they turn out?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The recipes I see call for way more liquid than that. It should be covered by liquid.

http://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-baby-back-ribs/

This one calls for 64oz apple juice and a cup of apple cider vinegar. I think your wife made steamed ribs.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Also, I cooked some basmati rice in it after taking the butter chicken out. I used cooking times posted online, but a ton stuck to the bottom of the pot. I'm sure I'm going to get some stuck rice, but it seems like I probably should add more water next time?

How much water do you use? For basmati I used a 1:1 ratio, cook for 4 minutes then do a 10 minute natural release, turns out perfect.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

I think your wife made steamed ribs.

Isn't that what a pressure cooker does?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it boils.

makes a nice mcribwich texture.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

wormil posted:

Isn't that what a pressure cooker does?

You can use a pressure cooker in that way and that is a choice one can make.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It sounds steamed, but if you cover it in liquid, it's gonna be boiled, which does not sound preferable

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's like sous vide. You use the pressure cook it through and make it tender. Then you put it in the oven for 5-10 minutes to get the crispy skin and cook the bbq sauce. It's not as good as real bbq ribs but it's more of a convenience weekday thing.

Steamed pork on the other hand doesn't sound good ever

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 4, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Honestly, braised pork ribs sound pretty good to me. Pressure cookers don't boil until you release pressure, except for old school jiggle top cookers which lose more steam - there's a little agitation inside the chamber in those ones.

e: but yeah you definitely have to cover the ribs to braise them.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mu Zeta posted:

Steamed pork on the other hand doesn't sound good ever

You can pry my steamed hams from my cold, dead fingers.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Also my steamed pork buns!

Pressure cookers don't technically boil, but only because the pressure makes the boiling point so much higher. It's still gonna be submerged in water and over 212°, which sounds like a good recipe to make the flavor go into the water and out of the meat.

When you say braise = completely cover with water, is that just for the pressure cooker? Can I ask why? It's not the case for a normal braise.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Also my steamed pork buns!

Pressure cookers don't technically boil, but only because the pressure makes the boiling point so much higher. It's still gonna be submerged in water and over 212°, which sounds like a good recipe to make the flavor go into the water and out of the meat.

When you say braise = completely cover with water, is that just for the pressure cooker? Can I ask why? It's not the case for a normal braise.

Well, I'm assuming that nobody would be foolish enough to cook meat in water. As far as cooking it in the pressure cooker, I've tried both uncovered and fully submerged with about the same sauce (not pork ribs, but other meat) and it turned out dry and weird when it wasn't fully covered. I really don't know why, to be honest. Other places on the internet say that you don't have to cover the meat, but it hasn't worked out well for me in the past so I'm hesitant to try again.

Hip Pressure Cooking made this video, which I haven't watched yet because I'm at work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UehZMxSs0

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

As for the rice, what was your actual cooking time? You only need to pressure cook (on low) for like 7 minutes but then you should do a natural release for another 10 minutes after that.

Johnny Truant posted:

How much water do you use? For basmati I used a 1:1 ratio, cook for 4 minutes then do a 10 minute natural release, turns out perfect.

Hmm, I did a 1:1 rice/water ratio for 5 minutes, then slow release after 10 minutes so I'm pretty inline with this advice. I was just surprised at how much stuck to the bottom, but I've only ever done long grain rice on a stove top (1:2 rice to water ratio) so maybe my expectations are off.

Mu Zeta posted:

Tender meat is the point of pressure cookers. It's like cooking something for hours in 20 minutes.

Kind of a broad topic, but is there a good resource for learning about different cooking types and their effect on food? I've come to cooking in a bit of a non-traditional way so I'm fairly knowledgeable in some fringe types of cooking (smoking, sous vide), but completely ignorant in the more common types.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Hmm, I did a 1:1 rice/water ratio for 5 minutes, then slow release after 10 minutes so I'm pretty inline with this advice. I was just surprised at how much stuck to the bottom, but I've only ever done long grain rice on a stove top (1:2 rice to water ratio) so maybe my expectations are off.

Hm, I don't know what to tell you then. I just did 2 cups each of rice and water last night for 5 minutes with the 10 minute natural release, and had no rice stick to the bottom of my pan. Are you washing the rice beforehand? How big is your IP? I'm not really an experienced IP/pressure cooker cat so my advice is probably quite limited, unfortunately. You could maybe try 1:1.5 rice to water ratio, see if that helps with the sticking?

Related to rice-cooking, but on the IP, can someone explain the Rice button/setting to me? I thought it would be a programmable setting like.. every other button on the machine, but it's actually the only one you cannot edit the timing for, and it also doesn't appear to pressure-cook. The less, normal and more settings just change the cooking time, too? I'm confused, as I've only ever pressure cooked my rice.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Kind of a broad topic, but is there a good resource for learning about different cooking types and their effect on food? I've come to cooking in a bit of a non-traditional way so I'm fairly knowledgeable in some fringe types of cooking (smoking, sous vide), but completely ignorant in the more common types.

Maybe Serious Eats? They have a techniques section. If you want a physical cookbook, perhaps the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Well, I'm assuming that nobody would be foolish enough to cook meat in water. As far as cooking it in the pressure cooker, I've tried both uncovered and fully submerged with about the same sauce (not pork ribs, but other meat) and it turned out dry and weird when it wasn't fully covered. I really don't know why, to be honest. Other places on the internet say that you don't have to cover the meat, but it hasn't worked out well for me in the past so I'm hesitant to try again.

Hip Pressure Cooking made this video, which I haven't watched yet because I'm at work.

Sounds overcooked?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Cooking meat in water owns though, twice cooked pork owns

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I've acquired the families All-American 921&1/2, circa 1930 or thereabouts. Aside from getting the gauge replaced and changing the pet cock for a weighted valve (since it hasn't been used since Nana died back in '03, possibly longer), anything I need to be aware of so that it doesn't blow up my house?

E: Upon checking the start of the thread it appears I asked this question three years ago and then forgot while I took my sweet time actually getting my hands on the drat thing.

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 6, 2018

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I made bean soup last night and even after 40 minutes at high pressure the beans weren't entirely softened. was one of the odder experiences I've had with my pressure cooker, anyone else had beans that took forever even after a decently long cook? (to be clear these were small panamito beans, I've had larger/thicker skins take a while, but never something this small)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
How old were they? I have only had this happen on a bag of pintos that were multiple years old.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I soak beans first, then 25 minutes, never a problem with them not being done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Doom Rooster posted:

How old were they? I have only had this happen on a bag of pintos that were multiple years old.

I'd bought them at the store that afternoon before I cooked them, but I don't know how long they were on the shelf.

wormil posted:

I soak beans first, then 25 minutes, never a problem with them not being done.

How long do you soak? I've never had a problem with beans being done before and I usually use the pressure cooker so I don't have to soak them, soaking often implies a level of planning that I don't achieve.