Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Any goddess-fearing man must bow down to the angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
edit wrong thread oops.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 8, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat, this bat boss in Ys 1 is messing me up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

fadam posted:

I have very fond memories of this boss from the PC Engine version of Ys I. The music from that version was killer.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
here's how you beat the bat boss:

grind

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

fadam posted:

Yeah, that boss is a huge rear end in a top hat. What level are you, and what equipment do you have?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fadam posted:

You have to stay juuust out of reach of his tiny bats so you'll be close enough to jump in and hit him during the half-second that he's vulnerable.

Have fun with Khlonscard.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The bat boss is simple as poo poo compared to the last boss. I think I won that just through sheer luck.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

The bat boss is simple as poo poo compared to the last boss. I think I won that just through sheer luck.

Man I must have retried the final boss some 15 times (on Normal!) before I figured out the right strategy to beat him. Ys I is such a good game.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

fadam posted:

You're supposed to have the silver equipment at this point. The Talwar will barely even be able to damage the thing, even when your level is maxed out, and without the silver shield and armor you'll probably have too little room for error. Aside from that, it's like ReallyPants says...lead him on, don't stay too far away from him because the hitting window is very tiny.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, that boss is a huge rear end in a top hat. What level are you, and what equipment do you have?

Level 10 with all silver gear and the shield ring equipped.

I'm pretty sure my execution is just bad. I got him low but then I got greedy and ran into him too late and died to the bats that appeared.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Really Pants posted:

You have to stay juuust out of reach of his tiny bats so you'll be close enough to jump in and hit him during the half-second that he's vulnerable.

Have fun with Khlonscard.

Klonscard you have a decent chance of accidentally killing him, though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I feel like I just got lucky on the last boss of Ys right now, like I didn't get better he just flew around in a good pattern lol.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The last time I beat him I got him down to a sliver of his health when he trapped me on a single tile. I was about to resign myself to trying again as I got bombarded with flaming death when he suddenly flew face-first into my sword and died. I was like: "okay, that happened".

Seriously, the final boss of Ys I is BS, but fortunately the boss encounters in the second game don't have anything like it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fadam posted:

I feel like I just got lucky on the last boss of Ys right now, like I didn't get better he just flew around in a good pattern lol.

Yeah that's pretty much how it goes

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

As someone completely new to the series, do you guys think the story or release order is best for going through Ys?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Really doesn't matter IMO, other than obviously Ys I->Ys II. I might do release order broadly speaking just so you aren't spoiled by some of the more improved mechanics in the later games. So

Ys I
Ys II
Ark of Napishtim
Oath in Felghana
Origin
Ys Seven
Memories of Celceta
Ys VIII

I guess? Napishtim is a little rough compared to Oath/Origin though. I usually recommend Oath/Origin as someone's first game just so they get their foot into the door first, but that's not really an issue if you're already playing Ys I/II.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cool, thanks.

Do you know if there are any plans to bring Memories of Celceta to Steam at any point? Oh, and where would you fit that translated SNES rom of YS V?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ys V is easily the worst Ys game so unless you're really intended to go all out with the series I'd say skip it. That said in theory it should be before Ark of Napisthim.

Haven't heard any noise re: Celceta but XSEED also randomly/surprisingly put out Seven on Steam so who knows.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The most hilarious scenario would be Xseed somehow putting out Celceta to steam before Ys 8 is even fixed yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fadam posted:

Cool, thanks.

Do you know if there are any plans to bring Memories of Celceta to Steam at any point? Oh, and where would you fit that translated SNES rom of YS V?

The trash

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Ys 5 is probably the most nothing game that I've ever played. It wasn't even like actually terrible, it was just... there

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They're probably going to remake 5, they talked about it again recently

BTW play Ys 4 Dawn of Ys, it's got an English patch. It's not canon anymore but it is good if you liked 1 and 2

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 9, 2018

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
What's so special about the Mueller Olivier combo in The Third? I remember someone here said they were stupid good but Mueller could swap for basically any other physical char and I'd still be fine with the same set up? Other than bringing both parts of the stand up routine.

Also jegus this party is huge and I only have 4 slots what the heck.

E: I'm in the finale working on the Abyss atm fyi.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Olivier is pretty much the 2nd best caster in the game, Mueller is just extremely reliable in general in my experience. Richard probably outpaces him slightly but I always ended up having a soft spot for him

I don't really know what people mean by using them in tandem besides both of them just being good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they don't have any particular synergy in combat. Are you maybe thinking of Julia and Mueller? They both hit twice with chain crafts which leads to a gimmick build using schera's craft that advances everyone's turn and linking chain crafts in a particular order to attack like 15 times in a row

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I do think schera , Julia, and mueller would be an incredibly responsible team of young adults

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Throw in Richard for team Adults who get poo poo done.

I like that most of the party are straight up adults with jobs. These are people with lives and careers that have nothing to do with the current plot, they're just stuck in Phantasma for the time being. It's the Kevin and Ries Show co starring Librels Finest.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
A large part of the Sky gang is fairly old by JRPG standards. The most competent fighter on the team is a whopping 35 years old.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Star Door 15. Is incredibly dark.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

^its the reason I 10000% want to play the crossbellarc

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BrightWing posted:

Star Door 15. Is incredibly dark.

Yeeeeeeeeeep.

Now go back to Star Door 14.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

meanwhile, at XSEED

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/950893154227470336

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeep.

Now go back to Star Door 14.

I caaaaaaan't. I gotta do a bunch of other doors too. Most are whatever but the Big Problem is the 400 battles door. Is there a way to see how many fights I'm at or just Keep Fighting?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I think most games have that somewhere in the notebook?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

BrightWing posted:

I caaaaaaan't. I gotta do a bunch of other doors too. Most are whatever but the Big Problem is the 400 battles door. Is there a way to see how many fights I'm at or just Keep Fighting?

i feel like that might be recorded somewhere in the notebook, but I can't actually remember.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The # of battles and # of victories are recorded in the notebook on the first memo tab under achievements

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Note victories are what the door wants not battles. I ended up needing to grind out 50 or so in the jade corridor. Shouldnt take too long if you jack turbo up as high as it goes

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The turbo can be turned up?!

I need 200 victories. Oh well, I wanna see that door now, better get grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Cold Steel 2 PC release date announcement on friday?