Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's worth noting that the black section on the back is a separate fuel tank with a hand crank pump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Related, but the wrong thread for this: There is a company in my home town that professionally rebuilt Saabs into flatbeds, mainly for rallycrossers and other amateur level racers. Or at least used to be, I don't know if they're still active.

If I'm not mistaken he (it's basically a one man show) just makes rear chassis these days for others to build with.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Those are some impressively strong trunk struts or springs or whatever.

Guess I'm just used to GM's "I'm gonna click and call it good, you gotta lift my rear end flap yourself".

I think it's motorized...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

There's a major car parts company (https://www.eurocarparts.com ) that constantly emails me 30% off coupons for online, both delivery and click and reserve.

When I needed a new wiperblade, I went into the store but they would only offer me the non-discounted price.

So, I pulled out my phone, clicked through their website and reserved it online in front of the guy.
We then spent 3 minutes face to face, waiting in silence until his POS went 'ping' to confirm that the order was received and then he could sell it at the reduced price.

I had a similar experience buying a jack, then I stopped using them when I got the wrong brake shoes 4 times. I had to put the car back together each time and drive back, I was nearly incoherent with rage the 4th time.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Powershift posted:

Horribly unsafe, but still kinda rad.

:perfect:

there was a really clean Integra like this on craigslist recently, looked like a mini Ute

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Colostomy Bag posted:

I never really understood that reasoning. Advance Auto and probably Autozone does it too. I was amazed Advance did the 20% offer on a car battery.

The company needs to make online sales high so they look competitive versus Amazon, Rockauto etc. The goal is to use the advantage of having inventory local and pump those online sale orders. Yes it’s dumb. Be happy you’re smart enough to save 20%.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

StormDrain posted:

The company needs to make online sales high so they look competitive versus Amazon, Rockauto etc. The goal is to use the advantage of having inventory local and pump those online sale orders. Yes it’s dumb. Be happy you’re smart enough to save 20%.

Whenever someone comes into my Advance to buy something moderately expensive (like over $100), I ask if they have an extra 10 minutes to spare. If they do, I tell them to order it online for in-store pick-up, since it'll save 15-25%. At the end of the day idgaf about sales or whatever, a happy customer is a returning customer.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Related, but the wrong thread for this: There is a company in my home town that professionally rebuilt Saabs into flatbed

The SAAB dealer in my hometown had a couple of these, both built from 9000s. Never looked too closely under one but they seemed solid. The terrible car stuff was the brand new 9-5 sitting on it that had broken down. They did deal in used cars too, though.

(I'm solidly assuming you too are Swedish, everywhere else this would probably be seen as insanity)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My mother has a Kia Sorento. Today while airing up her tires, I noticed the door tag, and compared it to that of my own Kia Amanti.

Turns out my sedan is rated for 50lb more GVWR than the midsize SUV. And hers was built in Georgia (presumably the American one) and mine says "built in Korea"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kurieg posted:

Who wants to watch cars self destruct for 20 minutes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLe8XbPBB1U

There's an awful lot of oil drain plugs being liberated to release a torrent of water in this video.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 8, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Water is technically a lubricant

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Water is technically a lubricant

Yeah but have you ever tried jerking off in the shower without using conditioner? Yikes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My girlfriend’s 2016 GLI got hit in traffic (guy in a Corolla with flybynite insurance tried to make a left turn in front of her in a residential area) about eight months ago. Needed a new hood, front fascia, driver side fender, a new wheel, and a new door skin for the drivers door. Work was done by the VW dealer.

Fast forward to last week. She was getting in the car, and realized that her Jetta GLI has a GTI badge on the driver side, now.

Dealerships are always terrible car stuff, but in this case, so are we.

:v:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

This car is not Terrible Car Stuff, but Doug's review is, as always. Behold the Lamborghini Jarama (which I didn't know existed, and it's beautiful!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH65wZfN62k

I usually groan a lot when watching Doug's videos but this is just hilarious. "The radio is not in the center console, it's a whole other place." (it's in the center console). What the weird light in the gauge cluster is I don't know but I guess handbrake and indicator and something else?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MrYenko posted:

My girlfriend’s 2016 GLI got hit in traffic (guy in a Corolla with flybynite insurance tried to make a left turn in front of her in a residential area) about eight months ago. Needed a new hood, front fascia, driver side fender, a new wheel, and a new door skin for the drivers door. Work was done by the VW dealer.

Fast forward to last week. She was getting in the car, and realized that her Jetta GLI has a GTI badge on the driver side, now.

Dealerships are always terrible car stuff, but in this case, so are we.

:v:

Only way that story could be made better is if you saw a pic of the car on the internet and thought "another fake badge car" then realizing it was yours.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I love how everything about the Jarama is suddenly perfectly okay as soon as he steps on the gas.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Night Danger Moose posted:

Whenever someone comes into my Advance to buy something moderately expensive (like over $100), I ask if they have an extra 10 minutes to spare. If they do, I tell them to order it online for in-store pick-up, since it'll save 15-25%. At the end of the day idgaf about sales or whatever, a happy customer is a returning customer.

:hf:

Advance is p much giving you10%-25% off just to use their lovely site, and they lose ~2% of the transaction price if you pay with PayPal.

This is sensible, because

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 8, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

buttcrackmenace posted:

:hf:

Advance is p much giving you10%-25% off just to use their lovely site, and they lose ~2% of the transaction price if you pay with PayPal.

What % are they losing in transaction fees when you use a credit or debit card in either online or local? The same probably.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Controversial opinion: Doug is fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GutBomb posted:

I'll wait for STR's opinion on that.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dave Inc. posted:

I love how everything about the Jarama is suddenly perfectly okay as soon as he steps on the gas.

Isn't that Italian cars in a nutshell?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

buttcrackmenace posted:

Honestly they already make such obscene profits on most of the stuff they sell in-store - the whole business model of parts stores now seems to be "screw the guy who needs it now" - that a 25% discount to remain competitive with online retailers probably means they're just making normal profit levels on online sales.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

JazzmasterCurious posted:

This car is not Terrible Car Stuff, but Doug's review is, as always. Behold the Lamborghini Jarama (which I didn't know existed, and it's beautiful!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH65wZfN62k

I usually groan a lot when watching Doug's videos but this is just hilarious. "The radio is not in the center console, it's a whole other place." (it's in the center console). What the weird light in the gauge cluster is I don't know but I guess handbrake and indicator and something else?

I've seen one of these in person. Here in Seattle there is a semi-private garage that stores one. It's in tip top shape and regularly driven by an old woman; who appearently owns one of the hotel skyscrapers here. From the garage I was at, they said there were only about 5 of these left. Not sure how credible that is but still an interesting oddball.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Solar Coaster posted:

I've seen one of these in person. Here in Seattle there is a semi-private garage that stores one. It's in tip top shape and regularly driven by an old woman; who appearently owns one of the hotel skyscrapers here. From the garage I was at, they said there were only about 5 of these left. Not sure how credible that is but still an interesting oddball.

Exactly how many BTTF-inspired purchases are in this garage?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Solar Coaster posted:

As the owner of an 88 Toyota 4x4, I was like cool, nice, cool, then I saw the Bttf truck...gently caress YEAH

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I think it is cool that Lambo made the LM002 SUV.

Then you have to read the story of the Lambo Cheetah.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Cheetah

Which is how the LM002 was named. Good read.

You all need to read the Lambo forum on fchat. I think the best one was stuffing their V12 for hydroplane racing.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

eyebeem posted:

Exactly how many BTTF-inspired purchases are in this garage?

Only two. But there were tons of great cars. I'll post them in the Awesome AI thread later.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
keep going...

:flashfap:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Solar Coaster posted:

Only two. But there were tons of great cars. I'll post them in the Awesome AI thread later.

Oh man... I want that Truck so bad! :circlefap:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't even really understand that cars could be cool when that movie came out and I instantly wanted that truck. It's just so drat perfect.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

buttcrackmenace posted:

Oh, they take paypal? Awesome, that means my paycheck to paycheck rear end can order parts the day before I get paid, since paypal ACH transactions take 2 days to hit my account if I order after 3pm. :v: (my bank also doesn't hit me with a NSF fee for declined ACH, they just send a bitchy email - I only get hit with NSF fees if the account is overdrawn >24 hours, or if a paper check goes boing).

InitialDave posted:

I'll wait for STR's opinion on that.

No. No. NO. OH gently caress NO. :barf: The framed photo of Demuro I sent to my santee was because I found a post explaining how he couldn't stand Demuro's voice, not because I like Demuro (hence why I tried to find an obnoxious photo).

Even if he was decent looking (he's... not disfigured, he's not horribly ugly, but he's not good looking either), that voice... it's not a nope. it's gently caress NOPE. Throw in the serious lack of knowledge of poo poo he's talking about, and it's a... uh, well, I won't say it, Lowtax has had enough visits from law enforcement.

DAT YOTA :swoon:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Oh, they take paypal?

Yep. And in my case the core charge was refunded to my account the same day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

StormDrain posted:

What % are they losing in transaction fees when you use a credit or debit card in either online or local? The same probably.
That's something a lot of people don't think of. Credit cards, especially premium rewards cards, have surprisingly large merchant fees. Sometimes 3%+

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

No. No. NO. OH gently caress NO. :barf: The framed photo of Demuro I sent to my santee was because I found a post explaining how he couldn't stand Demuro's voice, not because I like Demuro (hence why I tried to find an obnoxious photo).

Even if he was decent looking (he's... not disfigured, he's not horribly ugly, but he's not good looking either), that voice... it's not a nope. it's gently caress NOPE. Throw in the serious lack of knowledge of poo poo he's talking about, and it's a... uh, well, I won't say it, Lowtax has had enough visits from law enforcement.
Pretty much what I expected.

slidebite posted:

That's something a lot of people don't think of. Credit cards, especially premium rewards cards, have surprisingly large merchant fees. Sometimes 3%+
Amex have always traditionally been much higher than Visa or Mastercard here, though often have better reward levels for the "same" card.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Does anywhere outside the US take American Express? I remember years ago seeing "We do NOT take American Express!" everywhere. At this point I feel it's just common knowledge it's not a thing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I used mine in the UK in 2016 because they didn't screw me on currency rates. However I did have to be picky about where I tried to buy anything.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think most larger places do, though smaller shops don't like it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
A lot of places in Australia will, but you'll also often see notices up saying that they add a surcharge.

From what I can tell, it's not because Amex is an overseas card, most places will take cards from anywhere in the world if they have Visa or Mastercard on them, but because of how lovely the company is to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

From what I've heard amex merchant fees are also ridiculous, which is probably the main reason a lot of them refuse it.