Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

samsung's "QLED" is a cynical attempt to create customer confusion and charge more for their middlin' edge lit lcd panels than actual oleds cost, in response samsung's high end marketshare is plummeting because hey making worse tvs and charging more for them isn't the best strategy

so what the gently caress is qled

i thought it was just a regular lcd, but using quantum dots for backlighting so that they were individually controllable. the ultimate FALD if you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i thought it was just a regular lcd, but using quantum dots for backlighting so that they were individually controllable. the ultimate FALD if you will

no qled is just lcd with a coating or something that every company has been doing since 2015 or so, samsung just went full "Q is better, is 2 more" with it, all their current qled tvs are side-lit even the $4000 ones, coupled with samsung's legendary quality control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBzfkP9w0s
[if you don't feel like watching the video they improved the image quality of a tv by putting it back in the box and dropping it on the floor a few times]

there's a different technology called micro led that might be what you're thinking of, they're starting to sell really large displays like 140"+

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its literally because a Q sort of looks like an O if youre not paying attention

marketing told engineering to do some poo poo that started with a Q to their lovely tvs

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/8/16860780/tile-partnership-boosted-board-bose-headphones-track posted:

Tile wants to track all your gadgets, even those without a tracker attached. Today the company announced that it has partnered with multiple companies that'll soon incorporate its location sharing technology in their products. Bose, Boosted (the maker of Boosted board), Samsonite, Herschel Supply, and Propeller Health (a maker of connected inhalers) will all allow users to track their devices through Tile's location tracking platform and app, without the need for an actual Tile tracker.

Bose SoundSport Wireless and QuietControl 30 headphones will receive a firmware update this spring that'll let wearers track their headphones. The update allows the headphones to work like any other Tile-connected product. Bose wearers can ring their headphones so long as their within Bluetooth range. If they're out of range, they can see where they last were, or mark them as lost and hope another Tile user comes across them. Tile's relying on the built-in speakers inside the headphones to make the ringer work, whereas the Boosted board won't have a ringer built-in. The companies are both able to add these features without having to add more hardware to their products.

The idea behind all these products using Tile's technology is that the more people are on Tile's platform, the more effective tracking will be for everyone. The company hopes to eventually location track everything and essentially destroy the concept of losing something.

Tile also says it's made additional "access point partnerships" that'll help the company retrieve location information. There aren't many details for now, but Tile says it'll partner with Comcast, Rucks Networks, and the San Jose International Airport to help wearers find their stuff.

this sounds like a good idea but ive read the tile app needs location services at full blast on your phone 24/7

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Okay I looked this poo poo up on Wikipedia so you know it's reliable, there's two types of displays that use quantum dots

the first kind just puts a QD coating on top of a normal LCD that does marketing bullshit

the other kind actually produces light from quantum dots and doesn't actually exist in volume manufacturable form atm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fun fact: an Ethernet connection at a booth at CES costs $5k

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

the booth itself probably costs at least 50

friend of mine is an electrician at a convention center, he has to work a lot of nights but probably totals 30 hours a week and makes a decent living

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well the booth is at he far end of a hotel so I hope we didn’t spend that much on it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’d bet shoeboxes in the convention center start at $50k though

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Robot Strippers Invade Sapphire Las Vegas During Electronics Convention

Probably :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki4P70lgDao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

people with a booth at CES can afford it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

it's a union gig, what did you expect?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if it was the union that causes the high charges the power drop would be that expensive too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

if it was the union that causes the high charges the power drop would be that expensive too

different unions

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had a panasonic cd player and when i was a kid ther was a part in a tune where they stopped and started back up again that sounded cool and i thought it was a skip in the cd player so i'd bash the crap out of the cd player to try and replicate it. i've got a mcs turntable that's a technics rebranded for macys or sears or something

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

lmao

"here is our essential phone xl. with a new 2 billion in venture capital, we plan to double the sales of our previous phone. can you imagine it? 100,000 phones!"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

poty posted:

i missed the lg keynote but at least theyre cheering me up

please, refer to them properly

(macroexpand-1 'lg)Lucky Goldstar

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a union gig, what did you expect?

i guess comments this pretty much sums up why america is so hosed up atm

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i am sure the graphs that show the decline in the middle class and the decline in union membership being completely loving identical is just a mere coincidence

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Tankakern posted:

i guess comments this pretty much sums up why america is so hosed up atm

on the upside i can put up a kiosk without tools now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lmao

"here is our essential phone xl. with a new 2 billion in venture capital, we plan to double the sales of our previous phone. can you imagine it? 100,000 phones!"

also we stuck a 2000s era logitech cueball cam on the top of it, for some reason

flakeloaf posted:

on the upside i can put up a kiosk without tools now

no scabs!

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

qirex posted:

I've had a panasonic microwave for 12 years, needs suiting

they're going to announce tvs but they're using lg panels like everyone else

FYI: replace your microwave after 8 or 9 years. The magnetron decreases in output power over time so you’re probably getting like 40-50% less hearing power output now.
Fortunately, Panasonic still makes dope microwaves. Mine has a one-button reheat that appears to use magic to automatically choose the right time to get something warmed up again.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i used to go way out of my way to find panasonic stuff, like even for stuff you would not think of them for

their cordless phones are/were the absolute best. built like fuckin tanks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jimmy Carter posted:

40-50% less hearing power output now.

:tinfoil:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sony is selling a $2000 robot dog again, but only in japan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

razer...

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

someone sedate kirk

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

confidential

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bonus chart

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm the pc-style gaming

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

faraday future discovers that you can impress idiots by making a frame with some plastic body panels move very fast

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

That's how I imagined the future would look like when Motorola first did it. I think it's a great idea personally. Honestly I think having the phone being both your pocket computer and a literal computer is the way of the future, rather than companies shelling out $1,200 to $2,000 for their employees to use as excel and outlook machines.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so like the rest of the world he completely missed continuum, this phone

this dock

and the concept being a complete flop even though it worked perfectly

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i think apple will do that eventually, but but in a non stupid way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if they make everything work wirelessly, switch on/off automatically, not kill your battery, and not painfully slowly, yeah people will probably use it assuming it does browsing and word processing without making GBS threads itself

e: without having to buy a bunch of dedicated purpose built hardware that only works to sync with your phone

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
so i went and bought a dumb pioneer receiver with a flip up screen

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071X596WM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for my car because it was the only one with carplay that fits in the old style single DIN space in my car. literally yesterday i ripped apart my dashboard getting the old one out

and then the people on the lotus forums tell me that most people who have installed a flip out display have had to CUT OFF THE END OF THEIR WIPER STALK to make the display not hit it on the way out so i was probably gonna return it and just hot glue an iphone to my dash or something.

then alpine announced this today which i don't generally like because it has that dumb hover look that the new mercedes cars have but i guess it's probably the best choice and it fits in a single DIN space so hey.

https://alpine-usa.com/company/press/ces2018/2018/new-9-inch-ilx-f309-in-dash-system-from-alpine-electronics-will-hover-into-many-vehicles

supposedly shipping in feb. I guess i will throw this old stupid parrot asteroid that crashes all the time in the garbage and wait for the alpine. If you were thinking about buying a parrot stereo for your car, don't, it is beyond garbage. runs bad andriod, crashes and randomly turns the stereo on and off without user input, the fm tuner app unexpectedly quits all the time, etc.

so CES is... good?

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 9, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

so like the rest of the world he completely missed continuum, this phone

this dock

and the concept being a complete flop even though it worked perfectly

actually, it ran windows 10

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

if they make everything work wirelessly, switch on/off automatically, not kill your battery, and not painfully slowly, yeah people will probably use it assuming it does browsing and word processing without making GBS threads itself

e: without having to buy a bunch of dedicated purpose built hardware that only works to sync with your phone

continuum can be done wirelessly and I bet if u had a bt mouse and keyboard paired it would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

continuum can be done wirelessly and I bet if u had a bt mouse and keyboard paired it would work.

i love ya shaggs, but have you ever actually tried continuum/win10 over widi? assuming you could find something that actually worked, because no one wants to own the miracast stack and so everything is a shitshow of incompatible drivers and hardware

the lag is on the order of seconds. it technically works, but lol if you think you're going to use it for day to day poo poo without going nuts

• Locked thread