Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

And the series ends with everyone in America calling her the coolest hero for no reason at all and Obama telling her she's great at her job

Was it not Trump-in-silhouette by then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Preeeeetty sure this is about a hundred pounds light and too different a hairstyle to be trump

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I didn't read it, but I remember seeing that page before and thought they'd moved on to a Trump caricature rather than an Obama one. I suppose I might have the publication dates mixed up.

Sure, I remember Geoff Johns's brief run on Avengers ending with George W. Bush putting Carol in charge of some kind of superhuman initiative, though that obviously came to nothing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

"lackadaisically macking on women" is quite a strange way to describe ordering a slave to strip so he can rape her

... and then the rape-child did the same to Ms. Marvel who got pregnant and gave birth to... him?

Wow, that was one hosed up storyline.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Preeeeetty sure this is about a hundred pounds light and too different a hairstyle to be trump

Obama's tenure is really bad in the 616, before this, one of his first acts as President was to put Norman Osborne in charge of national security.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Yeah those sentences have more than five words each. Definitely not Trump.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

sometimes you just don't want to know what's still in continuity :gonk:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Not that Obama would have any real issue with her actions anyway. He talked a good game, but his policies showed elsewise.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How is it the Marvel funnybooks are good fun and yet the main series is such unabashed pro-fascist trash?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Triathlon would support 3 times the fascist trash as the normal American.

He would also gently caress 3 Kangs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

VanSandman posted:

How is it the Marvel funnybooks are good fun and yet the main series is such unabashed pro-fascist trash?

Somewhere deep in the bowels of marvel editorial there is at least one person sane enough to realize tying in books aimed at elementary & Jr high school kids to mainline events would be a disaster

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

So when exactly did Marvel decide fascism was cool and good? Because between both Civil Wars and the Captain America thing, I think I'm starting to establish the barest hints of a pattern.

At least the Captain America Supreme Leader of Hydra thing was portrayed as an indisputable bad thing that you should NOT root for. Carol is still being called the best hero ever with no consequence for any actions she took in Civil War 2.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

site posted:

Somewhere deep in the bowels of marvel editorial there is at least one person sane enough to realize tying in books aimed at elementary & Jr high school kids to mainline events would be a disaster

But not sane enough to realize tying books aimed at kids to the MIC would be a PR nightmare.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SilverSupernova posted:

Funny thing was, Bendis was the first to actually bring back a few of her character traits and character flaws and such that Deconnic removed (an action which I personally thought made the character kinda bland), and then he went ahead and made her an almost comically extreme exaggeration most likely to try and balance out Iron Man committing literal war crimes during his hissy fit.

Bendis looking back to a character's history and bringing it back up in his books is just awful. A few others I can remember are:

- Reduced an actual legit romance between Tony and Madam Masque into a "lol u slept with an ugly woman" joke.
- Brought up what happened to Carol in Avengers 200 as a joke. Twice, IIRC.
- Outed Young Iceman (and by extension Old Iceman) as gay in the worst and most clunky manner possible.
- Did the whole "look back into a character's history" almost literally by bringing in the O5 X-Men, which gave us that forgettable Battle for the Atom event.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Obama's tenure is really bad in the 616, before this, one of his first acts as President was to put Norman Osborne in charge of national security.

When you think about it, it's amazing that the Marvel Universe has such a thing as a 2 term president. You know every loving debate on an election year is filled with opponents going "Mr. President during your term America has been destroyed twice and nearly 20 new undocumented supervillains have arrived on our shores. Your response?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TwoPair posted:

When you think about it, it's amazing that the Marvel Universe has such a thing as a 2 term president. You know every loving debate on an election year is filled with opponents going "Mr. President during your term America has been destroyed twice and nearly 20 new undocumented supervillains have arrived on our shores. Your response?"

"I erased my brain and replaced it with a back-up from before I did anything lovely, therefore I am completely blame-free :shrug:"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Has Marvel ever gone wild and elected someone batshit crazy and completely unsuitable for presidency like DC did with Luthor?

(Please don't say Trump)

(Please don't say Bush)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure Bush never recovered mentally from his encounter with Magneto.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samuringa posted:

Has Marvel ever gone wild and elected someone batshit crazy and completely unsuitable for presidency like DC did with Luthor?

(Please don't say Trump)

(Please don't say Bush)

Typically, no. While some stuff, like Genosha, is invented whole cloth, Earth-616 is patterned largely after reality as a template, so the only non-actual-president president I am aware of in prime continuity was Spiro Agnew.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its canon that Loki ruined the 2016 election though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Same reason as anything-- insularity and a general lack of self-awareness. Plus comics have one of those fanbases that make it really, really easy to ignore criticism because the vocal minority is just the worst.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Samuringa posted:

(Please don't say Trump)

(Please don't say Bush)

There was that time Nixon was the leader of the original secret empire and committed suicide cuz cap pressed him

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tony Stark was Sec. of State, but that's the most I can recall in 616. There's a What If where Red Skull becomes president, though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Tony Stark was Sec. of State, but that's the most I can recall in 616. There's a What If where Red Skull becomes president, though.

Tony Stark was Secretary of Defense, and Geoff Johns did an Avengers arc where the Red Skull (using the clever pseudonym of "Dell Rusk") became Secretary of State.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Endless Mike posted:

What If... Captain America Were Not the Only Super Soldier in World War II?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Typically, no. While some stuff, like Genosha, is invented whole cloth, Earth-616 is patterned largely after reality as a template, so the only non-actual-president president I am aware of in prime continuity was Spiro Agnew.

Did Nixon kill himself before Agnew resigned and Nixon made Ford VP irl? I know Watergate was a slow burn but that's hilarious.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He killed himself the month before he resigned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But then he was resurrected a thousand years in the future.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
His head was shot to the world of tomorrow.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

There was that time Nixon was the leader of the original secret empire and committed suicide cuz cap pressed him

The leader of the original secret empire died in an explosion, trying to trap the Hulk, without ever having his identity revealed. You're thinking of the second iteration of the secret empire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Professor Wayne posted:

His head was shot to the world of tomorrow.

Why do you always have to say it that way?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jordan7hm posted:

The leader of the original secret empire died in an explosion, trying to trap the Hulk, without ever having his identity revealed. You're thinking of the second iteration of the secret empire.

Oh dang I didn't know there was another one

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Samuringa posted:

(Please don't say Trump)

(Please don't say Bush)

The Civil War-verse from Contest of Champions made Tony Stark president. Granted he used his universe's Infinity Gauntlet to rig the election.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You have the infinity gauntlet. You use it to win presidency. :geno:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well it's either that or you get so mad at the dad you rezzed to gloat at that you erase yourself from existence

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

Oh dang I didn't know there was another one

I think there were more after that too. Marvel is nothing if not thorough in going back to the well.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Pretty sure Bush never recovered mentally from his encounter with Magneto.

I was wondering what terrible comic this edgy poo poo was from, and saw that it was from the ultimates lines, and then it all made sense. Jesus.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

prefect posted:

There have been multiple good Captains Marvel.

I want you to know, I appreciate what you've done here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know Englehart intended the leader of the Secret Empire to be Nixon, but hasn't it been retconned (I believe in Avengers Forever) that they were just a prominent White House official rather than the president himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

site posted:

The part where Ulysses tells her a woman is gonna bomb some place, and she drags the ultimates out to arrest her, only the woman doesn't have a bomb and she gets arrested anyways and Carol has shield black site her until they can create some evidence is still the best-worst part

And the series ends with everyone in America calling her the coolest hero for no reason at all and Obama telling her she's great at her job

Do note that, to make it so Carol wasn't entirely in the wrong, they had this woman go on to become a villain due to her treatment at the hands of Carol, and she continues to be treated as a bad guy.