Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

axeil posted:

and now we have warped back around into talking about the sonic archie comics

the comics post-penders are legit really good, Ian Flynn made me learn to stop worrying and love the hog

Nack, Bean and Bark being a team, and the design used for the Silver Sonic boss that was skipped in Stardust Speedway, are both owed to the comics (in the original Game Gear game Silver Sonic comes from he only had the one arm that erupts from his gut)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Sonic the Deepwater Horizon

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

i'm in the middle of like 12 other games and have a handful of other poo poo on switch i'd rather pick up first

source: has no nostalgia for sonic

That's the beauty of it my friend, you don't need nostalgia for it. It's legitimately good on its own. And you can beat it in like 3-4 hours or something. But I'm a let and let live kinda guy. What are some other games on your list btw?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ramos posted:

The ocean's already made of oil ocean, poo poo's basically hosed before he sets it all fire. The worst case scenario we now just make a big hole in the ozone.

sonic thoughtfully eliminating the oil ocean by burning it all

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
oh thaaaat's how you cheese it

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The fire shield lighting the oil on fire is a nice touch

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Xenothral posted:

I haven't played any Sonic games but god drat they have such bumpin soundtracks.

the opening/title track for mania is *chef kissing fingers*

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Oil Ocean 2 boss can suck a fat dick

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The Lobster posted:

I know you are joking but

That is not an obstacle my dude.

he's a computer, dawg

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nerdbot posted:

the comics post-penders are legit really good, Ian Flynn made me learn to stop worrying and love the hog

Nack, Bean and Bark being a team, and the design used for the Silver Sonic boss that was skipped in Stardust Speedway, are both owed to the comics (in the original Game Gear game Silver Sonic comes from he only had the one arm that erupts from his gut)

Why is Silver Sonic different from Silver The Hedgehog

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Beasteh posted:

Oil Ocean 2 boss can suck a fat dick

it is a hard boss imo

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
<3 the Lava Reef music

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

lava reef act 2 is the best track in the game

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Infidel Castro posted:

Even "good Sonic" isn't really that good.

whoa, whoa, whoa what is this

$2,500 donation :stare:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

lava reef act 1 is the most underrated track in s3&K

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Must move at a high velocity!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

lava reef act 2 is the best track in the game

It's so good but I really like Press Garden 2.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Corek posted:

It's a robot

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

nerdbot posted:

i have the archie sonic comic with knack the weasel. i have ~50 issues or something like that. honestly did not realize he was made for something else other than the archie comics

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
toe to tip that's a sonic

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

YOU'RE TOO SLOW!

C'MON, STEP IT UP!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Corek posted:

silver sonic is a robot built by eggman, silver the hedgehog is a trunks from dbz ripoff

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

my main problems with sonic mania are I didn't like how *all* of the bonus stages were blue spheres. I would have liked some variety and a way to get powerups & rings.

also I didn't like the last level, it didn't feel epic enough. the final final secret boss had a good concept but I don't think it was executed as good as it could have been.

A lot of my complaints with the last level/final secret boss are from the fact that I *LOVE* awesome, epic endings and the original Sonic & Knuckles like the entire last 3rd of the game all builds to the epic confrontation on death egg & doomsday zone. Not to say it shoudl have mimiced that but I would have liked a sick escalation!

IF those things were rectified then Sonic Mania would have unseated S3&K for sure.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
People were confused by this boss?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh yeah and Sonic Mania has easy the best chaos emerald special stages ever. It is so perfectly designed and the music is so good I only wish there were more stages of it somehow. Hell I'd buy a standalone game!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

silver sonic is a robot built by eggman, silver the hedgehog is a trunks from dbz ripoff

It's no use!!

beep by grandpa posted:

my main problems with sonic mania are I didn't like how *all* of the bonus stages were blue spheres. I would have liked some variety and a way to get powerups & rings.

also I didn't like the last level, it didn't feel epic enough. the final final secret boss had a good concept but I don't think it was executed as good as it could have been.

A lot of my complaints with the last level/final secret boss are from the fact that I *LOVE* awesome, epic endings and the original Sonic & Knuckles like the entire last 3rd of the game all builds to the epic confrontation on death egg & doomsday zone. Not to say it shoudl have mimiced that but I would have liked a sick escalation!

IF those things were rectified then Sonic Mania would have unseated S3&K for sure.

I actually liked the final level, it was different for a Sonic game, especially the first act's emphasis on vertical climbing as opposed to "hold right to win".

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

i'm sad they didn't put in s3&k death egg zone/doomsday zone, aka the best final levels in any game

actually hidden palace->sky sanctuary->death egg->doomsday is such a good sequence

Erata posted:

People were confused by this boss?

it's a miniboss in s3&k and you can hit it at any point, so i see why it could be confusing

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

That's the beauty of it my friend, you don't need nostalgia for it. It's legitimately good on its own. And you can beat it in like 3-4 hours or something. But I'm a let and let live kinda guy. What are some other games on your list btw?

still wanna play mario + rabbids because it looks creative and chill
have thumper and enter the gungeon on my wishlist even though i have them on PC but now i just wanna play them on the couch and on the go
battle chef brigade looks cool
i have that celestial elephant game on my wishlist but haven't heard anything about it. I ionder if it's good......
wanna get furi because it sounds sick and i never played it on pc or ps4

also i don't need to buy it because i have the treasure trove but the new shovel knight campaign should be coming out soon!!

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

axeil posted:

i have the archie sonic comic with knack the weasel. i have ~50 issues or something like that. honestly did not realize he was made for something else other than the archie comics

Nack first showed up in a game gear game called Sonic Triple Trouble, Bean came from an old rear end game called Dynamite Ducks. They both showed up in the Sonic fighting game, along with Bark's first appearance.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

the emerald levels should have been a mix of the new track thing, Sonic 2 half pipe and Sonic 1 weird twisty thing

as an adult the 3d globe grid sphere collecty things are the only parts i'm better at than as a kid so i'm glad about that

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

God could you imagine SpikeVegeta being your personal trainer

3 weeks later you'd be walkin around like

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

the emerald levels should have been a mix of the new track thing, Sonic 2 half pipe and Sonic 1 weird twisty thing

as an adult the 3d globe grid sphere collecty things are the only parts i'm better at than as a kid so i'm glad about that

GET BLUE BALLS

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

though i do wanna be clear sonic mania does look pretty sick, i just am not a huge fan of actually playing sonic games. generations was an anomaly

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Not enough tails / knuckles slash fics being read on stream in this sonic block.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Oops, I blinked and missed a boss fight

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what good poo poo did I miss since arkham last night

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

still wanna play mario + rabbids because it looks creative and chill
have thumper and enter the gungeon on my wishlist even though i have them on PC but now i just wanna play them on the couch and on the go
battle chef brigade looks cool
i have that celestial elephant game on my wishlist but haven't heard anything about it. I ionder if it's good......
wanna get furi because it sounds sick and i never played it on pc or ps4

also i don't need to buy it because i have the treasure trove but the new shovel knight campaign should be coming out soon!!

Enter the Gungeon is EXTREMELY GOOD and was my 2016 goty!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If you showed me sonic maniacs in 1994 I would not have blinked a single eyelid and gone "fuk yeah sonic 4 lookin' good"

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
OH NO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
:rip:

• Locked thread