Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

So on a different topic that isn't dumb as gently caress, does anyone have any opinions on either Misao or Mad Father? I've never really gotten into horror RPG maker games (mostly because of too many videos popping up on youtube of Ao Oni) but I figure some of them can't be terrible, and I know those are fairly recent 'definitive' editions and most of the more well known ones like Corpse Party I've seen LP's of. So I was a bit curious on those.

I wasn't a fan of mad father but that was mostly because I thought the ending was bad enough to undermine the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FirstAidKite posted:

I wasn't a fan of mad father but that was mostly because I thought the ending was bad enough to undermine the rest of the game.

Same but with Witch's House.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
japanese horror sure love unnecessary downer endings

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Improbable Lobster posted:

That is to say that unless you don't list "continuity of consciousness" as part of "literally every part of me I care" then having a robot mind running around does not help you because that copy has a different consciousness.

I dont understand what continuity of consciousness is or how it would survive general aneasthetic (which can last for hours) but not bifurcation (which could be near instaneous)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tired Moritz posted:

japanese horror sure love unnecessary downer endings

That just seems normal for horror to me, there are very few good horror anythings that end on an upbeat note.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Faffel posted:

The old you is dead.

I liked Soma a lot :)

The old you in SOMA never dies though thats why this conversation is double dumb.

I wanted to slap the dude at the end and just be like "great dude your plan worked now go chill with your other you and work on secondary plans or whatever, maybe the two of you can rebuild something habitable for the humans currently being kept alive, or go explore the surface or some poo poo.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 31, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

TomVanDam posted:

Hey horror game forum posters, I’m looking to get spooked this evening via horror video games and I’ve seen that observer and outlast 2 are sale on psn. I know there pretty different kind of scares but is one vastly superior to the other? Should I just shut up and get both? I enjoyed what I played of outlast 1 and I’m a big blade runner nerd. Thanks!

Get Imscared instead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean he did if you killed him

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Same but with Witch's House.

This too, yeah.

It's dumb but I don't like when the canon endings to a horror game are just downer endings where nothing good happens.

This is why Ib is the superior rpgmaker horror game

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean he did if you killed him

Ahaha I forgot that was even an option it was sort of "who would ever choose to just up and kill themselves for no reason?" moment for me

I wonder how many people actually picked that and why

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did since it seemed better than leaving him trapped down there for eternity.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I did since it seemed better than leaving him trapped down there for eternity.

Was he actually trapped? I thought he was just asleep. Either way I figured I would be back later and pick him up after I launched the ark

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the reason you switch bodies is you aren't able to leave that part of the base without upgrading.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FirstAidKite posted:

This too, yeah.

It's dumb but I don't like when the canon endings to a horror game are just downer endings where nothing good happens.

This is why Ib is the superior rpgmaker horror game

I feel like this bugs me more in a game than it would in a movie or book since I feel partly responsible.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

It’s been a long time since I watched SOMA so the most I recall is finding the protagonist unlikable and being excited at the prospect of getting to explore the deep ocean in a robot body, ability to repair aside, but even then I could grok the reality of slowly becoming a deep sea reef over time because that’s sorta how I want to be buried. Maybe I’m just not good at understanding horror games.

I enjoyed Narcosis a lot more in terms of survival guilt and facing/accepting death.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The Sick Land was an excellent read and I'm wondering if anyone can point in the direction of more stuff like it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Blattdorf posted:

The Sick Land was an excellent read and I'm wondering if anyone can point in the direction of more stuff like it.

If you haven't ever read about the crooked house/the crooked man, you really should. It's old as the hills but it's really good. I don't have a link off the top of my head

E: holy poo poo I can't find it. It used multiple sites to tell the story, and one of them was a blogspot by a girl babysitting in a house, I know someone has to remember it.

V Yup, thank you!

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 31, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dionea House

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If you haven't ever read about the crooked house/the crooked man, you really should. It's old as the hills but it's really good. I don't have a link off the top of my head

E: holy poo poo I can't find it. It used multiple sites to tell the story, and one of them was a blogspot by a girl babysitting in a house, I know someone has to remember it.

V Yup, thank you!

Len posted:

Dionea House

Thanks! I love stuff like this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It doesn't have a real ending. The written stuff was the guys elevator pitch for a movie that never happened

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

TomVanDam posted:

Hey horror game forum posters, I’m looking to get spooked this evening via horror video games and I’ve seen that observer and outlast 2 are sale on psn. I know there pretty different kind of scares but is one vastly superior to the other? Should I just shut up and get both? I enjoyed what I played of outlast 1 and I’m a big blade runner nerd. Thanks!

Outlast is much more straight terror and violence while observer has more sense of dread/unease with its share of jump scares. Get both if they’re only twenty bucks each

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

It doesn't have a real ending. The written stuff was the guys elevator pitch for a movie that never happened

I think it works better that way honestly. Just an archive of events that it makes sense would never be updated with a conclusion

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

There's also Ted the Caver, though its been years so not sure how well that held up

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

Was he actually trapped? I thought he was just asleep. Either way I figured I would be back later and pick him up after I launched the ark

You took the thing that opens doors with you and then broke it down in the abyss. They're both trapped

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
SOMA talk: The thing is I'm not scared of the idea of death right now, but that's easy for me to say because I'm not facing it any time soon. Certainly, much like the bystander effect, you can say that you'd react a certain way, but your brain can break in fascinating ways when under pressure - that's why the Mockingbird scares the security officer so badly in the pre-release materials- for all intents and purposes it is him. He is seeing how he would react under extreme pressure from an outside perspective and discovering that despite his confidence he wouldn't react well at all.

I fully accept that I may become more worried about the nature of oblivion when I'm actually facing it, maybe something in me will even seek religion if it comes to it, the point I'm making is I don't know what I will do. Simon's brain is hiding aspects of his experience from him as a coping mechanism, he isn't thinking straight anymore. Of course he starts falling for the illogic of the coin flip, he's hanging onto any hope he can. We can scoff at his stupidity because we aren't there - we are impartial, removed from the action. Who's to say our own brains won't start hiding things from us when things get weird, preventing us truly having the most enlightened reaction?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Blattdorf posted:

Might as well start with the grandaddy of them all, Roadside Picnic. Most of the Ted the Caver-style web fiction is just a shameless ripoff of ideas that the OG book does way better.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BioEnchanted posted:

SOMA talk: The thing is I'm not scared of the idea of death right now, but that's easy for me to say because I'm not facing it any time soon. Certainly, much like the bystander effect, you can say that you'd react a certain way, but your brain can break in fascinating ways when under pressure - that's why the Mockingbird scares the security officer so badly in the pre-release materials- for all intents and purposes it is him. He is seeing how he would react under extreme pressure from an outside perspective and discovering that despite his confidence he wouldn't react well at all.

I fully accept that I may become more worried about the nature of oblivion when I'm actually facing it, maybe something in me will even seek religion if it comes to it, the point I'm making is I don't know what I will do. Simon's brain is hiding aspects of his experience from him as a coping mechanism, he isn't thinking straight anymore. Of course he starts falling for the illogic of the coin flip, he's hanging onto any hope he can. We can scoff at his stupidity because we aren't there - we are impartial, removed from the action. Who's to say our own brains won't start hiding things from us when things get weird, preventing us truly having the most enlightened reaction?

Yeah that's very true. It's kind of the same way some people will smugly explain how they'd handle an armed mugging, or a 2 A.M. home intrusion, or a natural catastrophe with level-headed aplomb despite never experiencing anything more stressful than a test on an unfamiliar subject, an argument, or a mundane fender-bender. For some reason people who buy their first home-defense firearm and philosophy students share some overlapping delusions.

If I made a clone of myself who'd regain consciousness in a couple of days and my options were to A) Leave him trapped, confused, and alone in a dilapidated research station plagued by monstrous creatures at the bottom of the ocean on a post-apocalyptic Earth or B) Kill him in his sleep, it seems like the merciful thing would be option B.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 31, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think it's also the difference between the idea and the experience - certainly, after I'm dead I won't give a poo poo, I'll be dead, but what I'm likely to mind is the process of dying - the uncertainty of how long it'll take, the pain/sensation of systems shutting down inside me, the loss of self between the brain shutting down and the body giving up, that at least is likely to suck. I'm not scared of the notion of death, but I'm not looking forward to it either. I'm not Thanotophobic, I'm Thanotoconcerned :P

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I am pleased to once again announce that the best horror video game of the year is the trailer for Silent Hill 4.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't the old you freaking out and shaking because he's stuck?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

s.i.r.e. posted:

Isn't the old you freaking out and shaking because he's stuck?

If I remember correctly, he immediately says something like, "Uh...Catherine? This didn't work." In a sort of contradiction, I then seem to recall Catherine--the omnipotent voice in my head--reassuring me that he wouldn't "wake up" for a couple of days if we just left him alone.

I don't remember if he started freaking out and/or shaking at some point after that because I assist-suicided that dude scary quick.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 1, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If I remember correctly, he immediately says something like, "Uh...Catherine? This didn't work." In a sort of contradiction, I then seem to recall Catherine--the omnipotent voice in my head--reassuring me that he wouldn't "wake up" for a couple of days if we just left him alone.

I don't remember if he started freaking out and/or shaking at some point after that because I assist-suicided that dude scary quick.

You're right, I looked it up and he's just sitting there and Catherine says he'll wake in a few days.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

el oso posted:

I am pleased to once again announce that the best horror video game of the year is the trailer for Silent Hill 4.
hell yeah dude

this re7 trailer reminds me of it a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OrttZ2-qR8

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Professor Wayne posted:

Whenever you see someone say that it was unrealistic that the main character in SOMA was so slow to grasp the core concept of copy and paste, remember this conversation.

i think i just got owned :smith:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

GlyphGryph posted:

The old you in SOMA "great dude your plan worked now go chill with your other you and work on secondary plans or whatever, maybe the two of you can rebuild something habitable for the humans currently being kept alive, or go explore the surface or some poo poo.
Seriously I'd have liked an alternate ending that's just you and a re-constructed helpy drone exploring the sea floor while the credits roll to like the Life Aquatic soundtrack or something, which is basically what I thought it was going to be.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
So I've been playing Hello Charlotte: EP3... All I've gotta say is the game is nuts. Playing the first two games is HIGHLY recommended. The first game is available for free on itch.io.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Skyscraper posted:

Seriously I'd have liked an alternate ending that's just you and a re-constructed helpy drone exploring the sea floor while the credits roll to like the Life Aquatic soundtrack or something, which is basically what I thought it was going to be.
it's just going to be a lot of dead fish

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

el oso posted:

I maintain that Silent Hill 4 is a pretty loving scary and unnerving horror story marred by some goddamn tragic design decisions. Kind of like Rule of Rose that way.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The burping nurses were p funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

Can we talk about SOMA?

I really like the coin flip theory. Some people think its bullshit, obviously it looks like that if you look it from an outsider's perspective

But what if, knowing that a potential mind copy could result in your copy waking up in literal apocalypse, wouldnt you be terrified?

I dont think I could participate in the test knowing I might actually feel my mind transferred and losing the coin toss so to speak.

Are there other media that explore this idea from horror perspective?

There's no flip. You just end up with two people. One always wins, one always loses. Lets say the original is A. A will always "win". He experiences sitting in the machine, having the copying done and then exiting the machine. This will always happen for A. There is no chance or mechanism that will result in A "waking up" anywhere else. The confusion stems from the transference of memory. Memory is vital for consciousness and personality. It's a major part of what makes you you. So B will have the memories of getting in a machine and waking up in a possibly bad situation. But it's a lie. He has the memories but it never happened. He is and always was a copy. There is a moral dilemma in that while you are in no danger of "waking up" anywhere else you are allowing a version of yourself to possibly end up in a very bad situation. Like you say, you wouldn't want to wake up confused about where you are, without the body you remember. So why do it to a version of you? Or anyone?

The other theory in the game, that killing yourself will allow you to wake up in the virtual paradise computer, is also never going to work. It's magical thinking by the survivors because they can't cope with the fact that even if their plan works, they, the originals, are hosed. There is no hope for any of the originals. All they can do is produce a bunch of new consciousnesses from their brain patterns and allow them to live a happy life. No one gets saved in SOMA. But a bunch of sentient uploaded consciousnesses are born and then get to live a nice life I guess.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 8, 2018