Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KidDynamite posted:

Also Pshyco Jim loving owns and I don’t know why.

Psycho Jenny. She is one of the most iconic Demons of the franchise. (I feel I should note that Jenny almost never dies in Devilman. Only having died in one prior adaption that demoted her to a monster of the week rather then Satan's second in command. So Jenny's sudden death at the end was rather surprising.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
For something a little more optimistic after Devilman Crybaby, I recommend Asura

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the way taro's dad keeps going back and forth or whether or not he should kill his son was so painful to watch

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

MechaX posted:

To kind of describe what happens, It turns out that God got so mad at Satan at the end of the original that he decided to put everything in a time loop to make him suffer. He somehow splits himself into two people, one being the main character of Lady, and the other the Ryo analogue (who is her... cousin I think?) to get off God’s radar. So the events of Lady happen, Lady goes to hell for a bit and it turns out Akira is down there too along with most of the slain demons from the original. Akira fucks Lady for reasons, goes back to Earth, and the rest of Lady happens.

Cousin Ryo screws Lady but realizes she can’t fully satisfy Lady without the male equipment. poo poo happens, Cousin kinda regains her memories as Satan, and screws Lady again with her full package this time. If the show, this was rape. In the manga, this was a way to impregnate Lady, have her give birth to a full grown baby in an hour, and said baby grows to a grown rear end man in another hour (who is Akira; this was one long dumb way to get Akira back in the real world). Lady and Cousin fuse so that Satan is complete. All the demons come back from hell and likely possess humans in mass.

All of this was done so that Satan can be like “see Akira, God really does suck!” Akira is like “yeah he kind of does” and he and his army of good devilmen join forces with Satan and his army of demons to likely get bitch slapped by God into another loop.

We haven’t gotten anything technically set past Lady yet.

that's all insanely stupid, im glad i only skimmed the first volume and bailed.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

the way taro's dad keeps going back and forth or whether or not he should kill his son was so painful to watch

I get how people would actually be pretty bummed out by that, but I could not stop laughing at the back-and-forth in that scene. He changes his mind like, seven times. I thought it was a hilarious visual gag.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vedius Pollio posted:

I get how people would actually be pretty bummed out by that, but I could not stop laughing at the back-and-forth in that scene. He changes his mind like, seven times. I thought it was a hilarious visual gag.

oh hey, you're alive!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Vedius Pollio posted:

To be honest, I think even a real person would tend to hesitate a lot under the circumstances, in ways that would seem hilarious to a third party. I suppose it's a matter of whether or not you can feel enough sympathy during the scene.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

wielder posted:

To be honest, I think even a real person would tend to hesitate a lot under the circumstances, in ways that would seem hilarious to a third party. I suppose it's a matter of whether or not you can feel enough sympathy during the scene.

I was right with that dad when the scene happened. Plus, his English actor really sold it too.

But then he just got wiped out by the military so quick that it took me right out of the moment because it was so like Adult Swim-comedy esque. They didn't even have to kill the dad either, as the scene was pretty much perfect up to that happening.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vedius Pollio posted:

To me that's what made it perfect. It's a heart-wrenching scene with a tinge of black comedy. The ultimate combination.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The dad and Taro's scene broke my heart. I mean, it was a bit comedic for me when he sees his son as a cute demon munching on his mom, going like nom nom nom....but drat, the guy bursting in tears and hesitating, going back and forth got me really sad. :smith: And then we get everyone else dying in sad and gruesome ways so it was never ending roller coaster of feelings. :cry:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, I just realised why the old Devilman cartoon exists in this show. It’s a sign that this isn’t the first loop. Devilman Lady establishes that whenever God resets the world, the latest story of Akira and Ryo becomes fiction in the reset. So this may actually be both a sequel and a remake.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like even without metatexual stuff, the ending almost directly mirroring the events that start the show indicate this isn't the end for humanity. its a story ending at its lowest point, but i felt there was hope there.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I just want to say that if I was God I woud lhave also said "gently caress this poo poo storm" and hit the reset button.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'm totally new to Devilman what's the deal with the two moons?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Squallege posted:

I'm totally new to Devilman what's the deal with the two moons?

it's theorized that the moon was formed by a large impact with something and the earth, which caused some of the earth's mass to be thrown into space. in devilman, clearly the assault of the angels was devastating enough to break the earth and spit some of its mass into space, which then formed the moon after millenia. after the earth got owned by angels again, the same thing happened but there was already a moon, so now the earth have two moons

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
what the gently caress did I just watch

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/mobukido/status/950552066237243393

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

dazoner posted:

what the gently caress did I just watch
A wonderful thing :unsmigghh:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the whole sequence with Devilman and the mob of people being stoned to death is one of the most genuinely loving beautiful and moving things i have ever seen in an anime

i was worried it was gonna end badly and then the line of people coming up to hug Devilman loving broke me :qq:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i feel like even without metatexual stuff, the ending almost directly mirroring the events that start the show indicate this isn't the end for humanity. its a story ending at its lowest point, but i felt there was hope there.

That there was going to be an ‘after’ was fairly clear. That there had been a ‘before’ is less obvious, and also interesting.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The motorcycle post credits scene was probably the one that hit me the hardest. I won't lie, I was misty-eyed as gently caress there.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the whole sequence with Devilman and the mob of people being stoned to death is one of the most genuinely loving beautiful and moving things i have ever seen in an anime

i was worried it was gonna end badly and then the line of people coming up to hug Devilman loving broke me :qq:

Thankfully nothing bad happened after that in the episode.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Avynte posted:

The motorcycle post credits scene was probably the one that hit me the hardest. I won't lie, I was misty-eyed as gently caress there.

What episode was this again?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
If there's anyone who should have killed or thrown poo poo at people in this show it was the people previously being stone

Hope they had a chance before the whole place got blown up

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Watched 5 episodes so far, kinda hate it.

The animation and direction, I don't think Masaaki Yuasa is a fit. Way prefer the grim, gross body horror vibe of the OVA. Crybaby is so minimalistic and sterile. Nothing has any detail or weight. Also why is the blood yellow?

The meta joke that the Devilman from the 70's is something that characters talk about in Crybaby is cringe. Not feeling most of the humor, a grimdark show can be fun in of itself without adding boner humor everywhere.

The side characters are all terrible, I don't care about Miko or Nagasaki or the Monk or whoever, like who are these people, why is so much screen time taken up by them, or sports news, or social media, I don't care, who even cares?

I do really like Akira and Ryos childhood friendship scenes, but the show barely goes there.

Still looking forward to finishing Crybaby because I know where the story is heading, but I doubt it's going to change my mind about the OVA being superior in every way, unless the finale is somehow spectacular.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really enjoyed it! After seen tons of things inspired by Devilman like Shin Megami Tensei and Evangelion, this was very cool to see. This type of story is very In My Interest so yeah i liked it. I totally see what problems people have with the content and pacing too, a subjective show i would say

ninjewtsu posted:

this was probably my favorite scene. His just, utter inability to do what he knows he should to do in his complete panic and despair was conveyed so well. Like, it was such a human emotion in animation, I empathized with this fakeman so much

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this too. it was so cheesy and cute, i loved it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, while I don't think Crybaby is quite as good as the manga, it kicks the living hell out of the OVAs

I don't think Yuasa's visual style was a fantastic fit but his thematic sensibilities were perfect, whereas the OVAs are very much Big Dumb Action Anime and pretty much ignore the themes of the manga despite getting the look of it a lot closer

e2: you know what my one big beef with the show's visuals is? that stupid loving run, it's the most hilarious thing ever and I couldn't take it seriously whenever someone started doing the Devilman Dash. it literally only looked good when Akira in Devilman mode did it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 9, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, I think I've pegged where my problem with this show's writing pretty much begins and ends.

Ryo. loving. Asuka.

he's broadly the same character as in the manga, but... I honestly don't think the story works as well if he's just a complete psychopath. like, the way Ryo is depicted in Crybaby honestly makes Akira look like a loving moron for trusting him, because when I think of "people who are likely to do good things" a kid who really really really likes murdering things with a boxcutter isn't gonna be my first call. and then Akira goes on trusting him way after it should have been blindingly obvious he's up to no good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Finishing my second watch up and I think they did a pretty good job with the dub. Kyle McCarley does a great Ryo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also, I think I've pegged where my problem with this show's writing pretty much begins and ends.

Ryo. loving. Asuka.

he's broadly the same character as in the manga, but... I honestly don't think the story works as well if he's just a complete psychopath. like, the way Ryo is depicted in Crybaby honestly makes Akira look like a loving moron for trusting him, because when I think of "people who are likely to do good things" a kid who really really really likes murdering things with a boxcutter isn't gonna be my first call. and then Akira goes on trusting him way after it should have been blindingly obvious he's up to no good.

Ding ding ding I've only seen the first episode but while it was a wild and fun ride, I legitimately miss the Ryo who cries as he drags his friend into hell, who is violent and scary but he's all "this is TERRIFYING but it's the only thing we can do to save humanity" - or, he's human and terrified and I like it a lot better than "hell YES I was WAITING to hit people with glass bottles"

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ryo. loving. Asuka.

But isn't akira's whole thing that he can see the good in everyone and is extremely empathetic?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think it would help ryo a bit if they showed him being more conflicted or confused about what he's doing earlier on. that doesn't really crop up until what, ep7 or 8 when he actually realizes the role that he's been following. akira is fine because the whole point is him being so optimistic and sympathetic to everyone.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The_Rob posted:

But isn't akira's whole thing that he can see the good in everyone and is extremely empathetic?

i just feel like they took that too far to the point where Akira becomes kind of an idiot. like, Ryo literally directly tells him what he's trying to do, and then the next time Akira sees Ryo on TV he's just like "OH HEY RYO'S GOING TO FIX EVERYTHING NOW!"

i mean, what the gently caress? is Akira supposed to have the memory of a goldfish? did these scenes get put in the anime out of order?

e: like, the point where Akira decides "okay, gently caress Ryo" should be when Ryo goes psycho on him in his apartment and talks about how the human race is too weak to survive and how he's going to make sure all of humanity dies. the fact that it takes longer than that is kind of dumb.

e2: honestly this is a rare anime that I really kind of can't peg down how I feel about it. I love it and hate it at the same time. it does so much poo poo that just hits me right in the gut that the stuff that frustrates me about it almost gives it a sort of wabi-sabi, and yet at the same time I can't really discount just how frustrated I am by that stuff. Future Diary was probably the last anime that had this effect on me, and much like Future Diary this show's probably going to take up a much larger chunk of my brainspace than it reasonably should.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 9, 2018

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

About Ryo

I honestly just don't understand what the point is of him not knowing he's satan. He's believable as a manipulator, particular since Akira is so dumb, and it seems like everything he was doing is the exact same thing he would have done if he had been cognizant of his own motivation. Like, it doesn't really work as a twist or anything because he's clearly malevolent even at the best of times.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I believe most descriptions of Ryo's character presented above are missing or downplaying some nuances that were still provided by Yuasa's anime in both subtle and blatant ways.

First, I would say the underlying point of the whole flashback with the wounded animal wasn't just to show us that young Ryo was willing to kill a living creature, which seems like the most obvious reading on the surface, but to suggest that young Akira could tell Ryo wasn't being honest about (or wasn't fully aware of) his own repressed feelings and was hiding them underneath his cold rationalization. Perhaps that behavior can also be considered as sociopathic, by our generally accepted model of proper social skills, yet the implication is that Ryo always had the potential for acting like a more normal and well-adjusted person.

He wasn't a completely lost cause. Remember that, during Crybaby, we see Akira and Ryo on friendly terms during their first meeting and a few of the early episodes. It's not a huge amount of scenes, but they are still present in the anime and, together with the flashbacks, help explain why Akira trusts him.

What's more, until Ryo learns the truth about his own past and decides to consciously ruin everything, his radical actions during this anime can be considered as extreme or even fascist yet still technically motivated by a desire to save humanity as a group even if it meant sacrificing the few in favor of the many. He was already being subconsciously influenced by his "true" self, no doubt, but the initial discussion in Ryo's apartment during episode 7 that began to separate him from Akira wasn't about Ryo wanting to destroy the entire human race. Note Akira visibly starts to disobey him after this point and does his own thing with the Devilmen. It's only the second part of the discussion, after Ryo goes to a meeting of government people and sees that they're messing up, that Ryo goes ahead and tells Akira how humanity will probably just destroy itself. That's when he takes on a more fatalistic character and Ryo does appear increasingly influenced by his own true nature by then.

Second, there was clearly a shift in Ryo's characterization for this anime adaptation because his manga counterpart had a moderately different emotional balance, but it isn't that he's just a "sociopath" in Crybaby all the time either. Nor was Ryo entirely normal in the original source material to begin with, which would also be rather inaccurate since several scenes also depicted him acting in violent or crazy ways. I think Yuasa simply felt he wanted to portray that combination of traits in a different manner, to make his own personal point about the irony of our contradictions and self-destructive tendencies, even if it made Ryo look a little worse in the process (I'd argue Ryo is still not exactly someone worth being friends with, in my opinion, at the end of the original Devilman manga).

The fact that adult Akira ended up not even willing to cry for Ryo after everything went to hell and, in turn, that Ryo himself didn't realize his own feelings until it was far too late is, of course, why Yuasa's interpretation of Devilman still ends up being a tragedy. Yet, while the manga makes the final sequence more about Ryo's specific reasoning for his actions and the metaphysical conflict against god that is only in the background (which arguably doesn't really see any resolution in either version of this particular storyline, so I am not surprised that Yuasa gave it less focus), this animated version makes it all end on the note of emotional self-discovery and the potential humanity that Ryo always had, despite much of his exterior behavior and his true identity. This change did obscure an interesting and also ironic parallel between what Akira and Ryo were doing which the manga spells out right at the end, I'll admit, but I think the results are still compatible with the other themes present in the story.

wielder fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 9, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
see, that's the thing: everything in the apartment scene itself is totally fine. my problem is that, at Miki's house, Akira's reaction to Ryo going on the TV is not "OH poo poo GOD drat IT RYO" but "oh hey this guy's gonna fix everything!" in spite of Ryo having literally just told Akira he has no plans of doing anything like that. Akira should seriously be, bare minimum, incredibly suspicious of him at that point.

e: like I don't think Crybaby's Ryo is bad in a vacuum, but the narrative kind of has to contort itself for the character to work, and that bugged me.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

see, that's the thing: everything in the apartment scene itself is totally fine. my problem is that, at Miki's house, Akira's reaction to Ryo going on the TV is not "OH poo poo GOD drat IT RYO" but "oh hey this guy's gonna fix everything!" in spite of Ryo having literally just told Akira he has no plans of doing anything like that. Akira should seriously be, bare minimum, incredibly suspicious of him at that point.

e: like I don't think Crybaby's Ryo is bad in a vacuum, but the narrative kind of has to contort itself for the character to work, and that bugged me.

Yes, I can understand your criticism, but for me Akira never came across as particularly intellectual and smart in his thought patterns. He's way too much of an emotional softy for that, so I can buy Akira hadn't entirely given up on his friend Ryo until that final TV broadcast. The apartment discussion made Ryo come across as pessimistic and indifferent, rather than as a saboteur who wanted to add fuel to the fire. There was a point of no return that still hadn't been crossed.

Before then, maybe Akira was hoping that Ryo would have calmed down and come up with a better way of reducing the violence to more rational levels by telling people the truth about demons, instead of actively making things much worse with a bunch of lies. Is that too naive? Sure but I don't think it's out of character. Akira had no way of knowing to what extent Ryo's mind was being corrupted, so to speak.

I do not mean to say this is the most natural narrative flow (not even in the manga itself, since Go Nagai didn't have a detailed plan for the story), to be sure, and an extra episode might have allowed the staff to make things feel smoother.

wielder fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 9, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

MechaX posted:

I was right with that dad when the scene happened. Plus, his English actor really sold it too.

But then he just got wiped out by the military so quick that it took me right out of the moment because it was so like Adult Swim-comedy esque. They didn't even have to kill the dad either, as the scene was pretty much perfect up to that happening.

No it was sweet release when he got shot. That whole scene was emotional torture to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/NezeruDG/status/949877904015437824

Rap from around the world is always good poo poo.

• Locked thread