Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
You guys are using the kar98 if you find it... right? m4 or scar + kar98 is the best loadout.

They need to fix the AK to make it viable. It's so trash from medium to long range that everyone drops it as soon as they find an m4/scar/m16. It's a fantastic close range killer, though. But so are the other guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You guys are using the kar98 if you find it... right? m4 or scar + kar98 is the best loadout.

kar98 is great if you are shooting perfectly still potatoes or are good enough to nail headshots on moving targets with ease. I will use one if I find the right gear combo but I far prefer the Mini14 or the SKS.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Obviously, streamers are really good, but they are using kar98's and the m4/scar every single time unless they get a crate drop. People who are striving to be good at this game should be using those guns when available, because they are the best guns.

The kar98 headshot is the best video game kill since the cs 1.6 deagle headshot.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They need to fix the AK to make it viable. It's so trash from medium to long range that everyone drops it as soon as they find an m4/scar/m16. It's a fantastic close range killer, though. But so are the other guns.

I'll always use the kar if i find it. The DMRs are more situational, but still good

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't really have much ambition other than having fun, which to me does not include lining up a headshot with a bolt action rifle, missing because the dude is running and jumping around, and then getting lit up because everyone in a hundred miles knows where I am now. Especially since despite fpp being miles ahead of tpp in terms of hackers, I can pretty much guarantee there are plenty of aimbots out there. At least when I stick to ar/smg or shotgun and do my best to position right and force cqc I have a fighting chance. Those may be the best guns but the kar is definitely not for everybody. It just doesn't really suit the way I prefer playing all that well.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

This is a fun game but I seriously think it's rewiring my brain in a not-cool way. After a couple hours of playing I get nervous and alert when cars drive by my house 😬

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hooplah posted:

I'll always use the kar if i find it. The DMRs are more situational, but still good

Yeah but if you're gonna miss, it's better to miss 40 times with a DMR than 3 times with the Kar. Stack the deck in your favor, I say.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I always take the Kar because being able to one-tap people is very useful as a lot of the time you only get one shot and you wanna make it count as much as possible

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I am by no means a good player , but lately I've been having a lot of fun taking one of them dmr's and just slapping a red dot on it and leaving it with that. At that level of zoom the recoil is nothing bad.

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Slot 1 (close range): scar > M4 > AK > vector > ump > Tommy gun > M16 > uzi

I generally don't pick up the non-sniper crate weapons so I didn't rate them.

Slot 2 (long range): crate bolt-action > kar98 > crate semiauto > SKS > mini > 5.56 ARs > AK

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I take a kar almost every time because i want to be good at the game, and the only way to get better at the kar is to use a kar.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Matazat posted:

Slot 1 (close range): scar > M4 > AK > vector > ump > Tommy gun > M16 > uzi

Slot 2 (long range): crate bolt-action > kar98 > crate semiauto > SKS > mini > 5.56 ARs > AK

The groza is probably the best AR in the game and it doesn’t need attachments at all.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Matazat posted:

You should. The Groza and Aug are insanely good. Same goes for the M249 but it's a bit of a hog

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My favorite loadout is either Kar/M4 or SKS/UMP (sub the SKS for a mini as required). I figure with a semi-auto sniper I can get a slightly more short range specialized weapon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Rex-Goliath posted:

You should. The Groza and Aug are insanely good. Same goes for the M249 but it's a bit of a hog

You should always pick up the M249. Its a mini that shoots full auto with the accuracy of an M4 and has 100 bullets.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
How to get good at PUBG? It's actually really simple. Break the game down into it's component stages, eg Parachuting, Scramble for a gun, Looting/getting geared, midgame/crate hunting, end game, etc.

How do you get better at these? You do them faster. You should be the first one on the ground. If you're not, improve your parachute game. You should also be landing at a specific building and dropping right by the entrance, as in landing within 3 feet of the door.

Scramble for a gun: literally pick up nothing except maybe a helmet or armor until you find a gun, but tbh, you should probably just remember where anything good you see is and come back for it after you have a gun. The faster you find a gun, the better.

Looting: just get faster and faster at looting. Know exactly what you need in general (rifle, armor, helmet, meds, backpack, optics, attachments, roughly in that order). Know what you still are missing so you can blitz through buildings. Learn where loot spawns in every building layout. Learn what the common items you need look like. This sounds like a lot, but it gets simpler and simpler over time, just make sure you keep getting faster and faster at it. Every second you spend staring at loot is a second you aren't spending looking for people hunting you or hunting other people. If all you are missing is an EQ mag and a suppressor, stop loving looting. The first guy you kill will probably have anything you're missing. The most consistent way, by far, to get suppressors and compensators and high mag scopes is to just kill people (ideally while they're distracted loot goblining, you know how easy it is to kill people staring at the ground?).

Midgame: kill other looters, or if you're a little bitch, just stay alive and horde meds or something, idk. If you go for crates, trade up for the fastest vehicle and be the first one there, loot that bitch fast and then either be gone or loiter and kill some guys going to loot the crate. If you decide to go center circle to camp it, be there asap so you can kill the other people driving in before they know what happened.

Almost everything in this game comes down to just being faster than other players. Shooting isn't secondary, but I noticed when I played a ton that a lot of people focused way more on their shooting when they'd literally gain 50x more by just looting less. Honestly if you got a rifle, armor, helmet and a first aid kit, grats you're good to go kill some idiots. If you want the easiest loot in the game, just wander around the aprtment buildings until you hear steps and then shoot the guy as soon as he comes out. It's trivially easy and they bring all the loot right to you.

Midgame pt2: Always be near cover. This is true the entire game, but especially in midgame you should either be in or moving from cover to cover 100% of the time. If you don't need anything (i.e. you got at least a 4x and a rifle and a few first aids/boost and at least 100 bullets) don't run out of cover to loot bodies, especially if you are a slow looter. On that note, if you hear gunfights, you can usually just run up and shoot the idiot while he loots the guy he killed (who was probably away from cover considering he got killed).

End game is similar: guess the best position to hold and be there before other people. Sometimes it is better to or you have to lurk edge of blue, but usually if there is any decent cover in the later circles, you want to be there. Once again, people will deliver full loadouts of ammo, meds, scopes, and attachments literally to your doorstep if you hold the good positions. Hell you can be a potato, but if you have the best position at the final circle, you'll probably come out on top more often than not.

Source: won well into triple digits of games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Matazat posted:

they're the best ones lmao

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

I should, but I generally don't see them until late in the game and by then I'm done looting and I'd rather stick with an AR that I'm already comfortable using. The snipers all shoot more or less the same but the ARs have different rof/spread/recoil/etc that makes a big difference.

If there was a test range where I could try them all out freely then I might be more keen on picking them up (cmon blue hole)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Literally 99% of people loot well beyond when they should.

Also 99% of the time you absolutely should not be shooting at anyone more than 300 meters away unless you are doing it purely because you're bored and you want to get run up on by three other squads/duos/players. Hackers aside, 99.9% of the playerbase is never going to kill you from more than 300 meters so it really doesn't matter if you ignore them or not. Back when the game was terribly optimized I turned the resolution way down to like 1368xwhatever to get super stable high frames and while I couldn't kill anyone at really long range (or even consistently see them), I was getting twice as many kills and was winning probably 50% more games. Partly that was because getting 60fps more is a huge advantage, but mostly I just wasn't wasting any time shooting irrelevant people.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

AEMINAL posted:

hacking is loving ridiculous now, ugh bluehole is never going to fix this poo poo

We managed to kill a whole group of hackers through distracting them via using a car and then died to a second group of hackers at the end of the match. TPP is no joke now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Matazat posted:

I should, but I generally don't see them until late in the game and by then I'm done looting and I'd rather stick with an AR that I'm already comfortable using. The snipers all shoot more or less the same but the ARs have different rof/spread/recoil/etc that makes a big difference.

If there was a test range where I could try them all out freely then I might be more keen on picking them up (cmon blue hole)

The Aug, Groza, and M249 are basically better versions of your other guns that shoot faster, have lower recoil, and better spread. You don't need to do get used to them, think of them like fully fitted M4s.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

the m249 is actually probably the best gun in the game, you could argue the AWM is the big dog but short/mid range guns get way more use than snipers and the m249 is king poo poo for that

if you're crouched and not moving the m249 feels like it has almost no recoil, you just point and spray

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Matazat posted:

Nope! This is one of the highly requested features that's supposedly going to happen at some point, but no idea where it is in a timeline.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Matazat posted:

Jerkface posted:

The Aug, Groza, and M249 are basically better versions of your other guns that shoot faster, have lower recoil, and better spread. You don't need to do get used to them, think of them like fully fitted M4s.

Yep. There's no need to get used to the Groza or Aug. Leave it on auto unless you're at 50+m in range in which case you should be using your scoped rifle anyways. Simply put your crosshair on your target and click. Both of the crate ARs will have several bullets out before you're off target. If that first burst didn't kill your target you have a very small distance to recover to fire another. It's disgusting how effective they are.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

In other news I think I'm circling around from the Vector back to the UMP as my preferred SMG. The big problem is that it actually fires too quickly. At the ranges you're typically engaging in your target will likely be strafing and if firing full auto you'll be out of bullets by the time you're able to compensate and get back on target. The UMP is much more forgiving in this regard.

Basically if you're using a Vector you should never ever have it set to full auto. It still fires insane fast if you rapidly click on burst mode. Still deciding if I like Vector on burst or UMP on auto more.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Blasting someone full auto with the vector is so satisfying

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

In other news I think I'm circling around from the Vector back to the UMP as my preferred SMG. The big problem is that it actually fires too quickly. At the ranges you're typically engaging in your target will likely be strafing and if firing full auto you'll be out of bullets by the time you're able to compensate and get back on target. The UMP is much more forgiving in this regard.

Basically if you're using a Vector you should never ever have it set to full auto. It still fires insane fast if you rapidly click on burst mode. Still deciding if I like Vector on burst or UMP on auto more.

The thing I dislike about the vector is that it fires to quick to provide suppressing fire, if someone is rushing you in a house you can't spray into the door to delay them because you'll immediately be out of bullets. You have to use it like a shotgun and my aim isn't that good.

If you can aim though, it puts people down like nothin else

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Can we talk about how the DP-28 is actually great, because nobody is mentioning it and I keep finding it -constantly- and it's hilarious and fun.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's very good but I never feel like it fits with what I want to be doing. I like the versatility of the ARs more. I'll take it in a squad game because covering fire can actually be useful but I won't take it for a solo.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Am I literally the only goon playing this on the Xbone? I mean, console LOLs aside.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Can we talk about how the DP-28 is actually great, because nobody is mentioning it and I keep finding it -constantly- and it's hilarious and fun.

It's pretty good at tearing UAZs in half, that's for sure. Beyond that, I haven't had enough time with it to really know. It's loving hilarious having a pizza pan in your face though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

Old map only though.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

a mysterious cloak posted:

Am I literally the only goon playing this on the Xbone? I mean, console LOLs aside.

i do but on oc

best gun is whatever you can get silenced imo, if im on foot with a silenced pistol im shooting at everybody

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am, I just omitted that info since it wasnt really relevant to my question earlier about gameplay.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

No. There are a handful of others who insist on playing PUBG on Xbox. I made a thread for them here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844851

Edit: Had one of the least eventful solo matches I've ever been in yesterday. Dropped in the middle of Los Leones on a plane path that was straight N to S down the center of the map and zero other players jumped there, somehow.

It was also in the first two circles so I hung out and looted the whole drat city figuring people would come to me at some point, but they never did.

Eventually I was forced to venture out of my city and still never ran into anyone until it was down to me and two other players...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj3vFm1PPac

I guess that last guy was standing right at the edge of the blue and after I shot him in the face he backed up into it and died immediately, robbing me of a kill. Sad.

No idea why the sound failed to record for the first time in history, either.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 9, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why in the name of god would you torture yourself like that.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

why in the name of god would you torture yourself like that.

Do'nt kinkshame.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Herstory Begins Now posted:

How to get good at PUBG? It's actually really simple. Break the game down into it's component stages, eg Parachuting, Scramble for a gun, Looting/getting geared, midgame/crate hunting, end game, etc.

How do you get better at these? You do them faster. You should be the first one on the ground. If you're not, improve your parachute game. You should also be landing at a specific building and dropping right by the entrance, as in landing within 3 feet of the door.

Scramble for a gun: literally pick up nothing except maybe a helmet or armor until you find a gun, but tbh, you should probably just remember where anything good you see is and come back for it after you have a gun. The faster you find a gun, the better.

Looting: just get faster and faster at looting. Know exactly what you need in general (rifle, armor, helmet, meds, backpack, optics, attachments, roughly in that order). Know what you still are missing so you can blitz through buildings. Learn where loot spawns in every building layout. Learn what the common items you need look like. This sounds like a lot, but it gets simpler and simpler over time, just make sure you keep getting faster and faster at it. Every second you spend staring at loot is a second you aren't spending looking for people hunting you or hunting other people. If all you are missing is an EQ mag and a suppressor, stop loving looting. The first guy you kill will probably have anything you're missing. The most consistent way, by far, to get suppressors and compensators and high mag scopes is to just kill people (ideally while they're distracted loot goblining, you know how easy it is to kill people staring at the ground?).

Midgame: kill other looters, or if you're a little bitch, just stay alive and horde meds or something, idk. If you go for crates, trade up for the fastest vehicle and be the first one there, loot that bitch fast and then either be gone or loiter and kill some guys going to loot the crate. If you decide to go center circle to camp it, be there asap so you can kill the other people driving in before they know what happened.

Almost everything in this game comes down to just being faster than other players. Shooting isn't secondary, but I noticed when I played a ton that a lot of people focused way more on their shooting when they'd literally gain 50x more by just looting less. Honestly if you got a rifle, armor, helmet and a first aid kit, grats you're good to go kill some idiots. If you want the easiest loot in the game, just wander around the aprtment buildings until you hear steps and then shoot the guy as soon as he comes out. It's trivially easy and they bring all the loot right to you.

Midgame pt2: Always be near cover. This is true the entire game, but especially in midgame you should either be in or moving from cover to cover 100% of the time. If you don't need anything (i.e. you got at least a 4x and a rifle and a few first aids/boost and at least 100 bullets) don't run out of cover to loot bodies, especially if you are a slow looter. On that note, if you hear gunfights, you can usually just run up and shoot the idiot while he loots the guy he killed (who was probably away from cover considering he got killed).

End game is similar: guess the best position to hold and be there before other people. Sometimes it is better to or you have to lurk edge of blue, but usually if there is any decent cover in the later circles, you want to be there. Once again, people will deliver full loadouts of ammo, meds, scopes, and attachments literally to your doorstep if you hold the good positions. Hell you can be a potato, but if you have the best position at the final circle, you'll probably come out on top more often than not.

Source: won well into triple digits of games.

Good Post.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Ty for the tips HBG :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So this game is pretty fun. Definitely a good buy. Except...the hackers. Holy gently caress the hackers. I somehow managed to get to the top 5% (how is beyond me...I'm not bad but I'm not really GOOD either) and it seems like every single game is filled to the brim with hackers.

Twice I've gotten shot in the head through walls. I've seen numerous people who never ADS but manage to hit you with every bullet no matter the range. I've shot at and hit somebody from behind only for them to instantly spin around then burst fire my head off. I've also seen people very obviously watch me through walls even though there was no way they could have seen me then blast my head off the instant I come around a corner.

The death cam is very telling. I seriously feel like half my deaths are people blatantly cheating. The other half is just me doing something stupid or being too noisy and getting my dumb rear end killed.

...that's my story I hope you liked it.