Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

what does it do that a raspberry in a mostly empty case cannot

a) sound worse

b) give amazon access to every word spoken in the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaggar posted:

I use the touchscreen on my xps15 to the point that I start pawing at non touchscreens

if you put your greasy fingers on my computer screen i will slap them away and make you sit in the shame corner

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

apparently dell is sending out free batteries even out of warranty for the 9550 as a proactive thing against swelling. go to https://www.dellproduct.com and put in ur service tag

yeah ace, waiting on battery now

then when this one rots and dies might be able to grab a 97whr battery from the 9560 and use in 9550

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk if they're compatible cause I think they're different sizes. I may upgrade my 9550 to the 9570 if it has a 1060.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

if you put your greasy fingers on my computer screen i will slap them away and make you sit in the shame corner

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

Absolutely.

I work with a barbarian who will draw lines on his desktop monitor with pencil while he's showing me things on his screen and unnecessarily using one as a pointer. It horrifies me every time, not least because I can still see the old lines weeks later.

(Maybe I should buy him a cheap laser pointer?)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
buy him an etch-a-sketch

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

James Baud posted:

Absolutely.

I work with a barbarian who will draw lines on his desktop monitor with pencil while he's showing me things on his screen and unnecessarily using one as a pointer. It horrifies me every time, not least because I can still see the old lines weeks later.

I had one tutoring student who would always use a pen to point to things on my ipad. it got to the point where I would take it out of his hand and turn the pen around

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
touchscreens on laptops are an atrocity & i can't even stand to have a single fingerprint left behind on my screen. i even wipe off my phone every 30 minutes or so

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

touchscreens on laptops are an atrocity & i can't even stand to have a single fingerprint left behind on my screen. i even wipe off my phone every 30 minutes or so

enthusiastic agreement sir

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tbf if youre using a windows laptop youre already accustomed to it looking like poo poo so whats a few fingerprints here and there

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

tbf if youre using a windows laptop youre already accustomed to it looking like poo poo so whats a few fingerprints here and there

i just wipe down my surface's screen with the microfiber cloth i use for my glasses before i use it and it's all good.

but i dont like jizz spaghettios at my screen or whatever loving poo poo people do to get the type cover so gross like you see in online pictures. mine was perfectly clean and nice for 3 years and i only replaced it because it broke my dog knocked my tablet of the bed.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cis autodrag posted:

but i dont like jizz spaghettios

:discourse:

theres a reason for the winking

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

microsoft is adding loot crates to the whole xbox operating system.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-career-system

qirex posted:

if there is another generation of xbox consoles they'll probably just be windows pcs made by oems, all they really need to figure out is how to get people to move to pcs but still pay that sweet sweet xbox live subscription fee

the funniest part about that would be that Valve's whole reason for the steam machines was Microsoft's lovely platforms. so they made an OEM-driven hardware standard to spite microsoft. so there's some irony in Microsoft getting into that very same model for that very same reason--their very own platforms being poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is anyone buying steam boxes?

does anyone still sell steam boxes?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infernal machines posted:

they're all linux machines so probably not

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

no

yes

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

i bought one because it was on sale for $6, i will probably never use it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Perplx posted:

no not the steam links, steam machines (full "consolized" pc's that likely have that steamos build of linux but sometimes have windows)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Steam links rule

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

univbee posted:

no not the steam links, steam machines (full "consolized" pc's that likely have that steamos build of linux but sometimes have windows)

"ohhh it's a nintendo"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Steam links rule

agreedo, its surprisingly effective and, when on sale, a steal. i grabbed an xbox controller and it basically became a better looking console for the cost of one normal console game

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Perplx posted:

tons of people bought them when they were on sale, but i assumed they were on sale because they needed to clear out inventory or something and they'll be unsupported soon

univbee posted:

no one does this

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they were giving the link away for free with some anime game just last month

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

no it was doa cause nobody wants Linux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

no it was doa cause nobody wants Linux

that's what i assumed, but i figured i'd check since yospos has their hand firmly up the rear end in a top hat of pc gaming

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

there are a handful of triple-A games on Linux/SteamOS. if you don't favour one franchise or genre over another, then there's stuff to play on it.

there was plenty more they could have done to drive Steam Machine sales. like make games, for example. in a non-idiotic company they would release a console while also releasing a big title. when the steam machines launched i was prepping for the big HL3 announcement. but at valve they release a console and then make hats.

people have to start hating valve. they chose data over creativity and have become an analytics-driven content factory. they have the odd excursion into hardware, which is probably just to retain talent so people don't get bored of hat duty and quit.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you gotta feel bad for the poor guy at ValveTime who has spent like 10 years following every little breadcrumb about upcoming Half Life games only to find out none exist.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
every single aaa video game maker and publisher deserves to burn in hell at this very moment, valve included

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PleasureKevin posted:

there are a handful of triple-A games on Linux/SteamOS. if you don't favour one franchise or genre over another, then there's stuff to play on it.

there was plenty more they could have done to drive Steam Machine sales. like make games, for example. in a non-idiotic company they would release a console while also releasing a big title. when the steam machines launched i was prepping for the big HL3 announcement. but at valve they release a console and then make hats.

people have to start hating valve. they chose data over creativity and have become an analytics-driven content factory. they have the odd excursion into hardware, which is probably just to retain talent so people don't get bored of hat duty and quit.

that's unfair

they also made a weird controller

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PleasureKevin posted:

i wonder if the hat and skin people are all at the bottom rung of the pay scale at valve

also do they get bonuses based on how well their skins/hats sell, or is it just some stack ranking bullshit where the lowest sellers get the boot?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i wonder if the hat and skin people are all at the bottom rung of the pay scale at valve

also do they get bonuses based on how well their skins/hats sell, or is it just some stack ranking bullshit where the lowest sellers get the boot?
should be deece since they give a sales cut to community hat authors

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hat man crothers makes bank but its all in loot box unlocks so he has to play the market forces

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nobody at valve is actually making hats and skins, they’ve outsourced it to the community

as far as i’m aware the only people who do any work at valve are the two guys who make the art and copy for steam sales

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

James Baud posted:

Absolutely.

if this is destruction of company property i stand behind him 100 percent

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PleasureKevin posted:

there was plenty more they could have done to drive Steam Machine sales.

if came out with an SDK at the same time and said “use this SDK for system abstraction and your code will run on all Steam Boxes, as well as every computer running Windows, Linux, and macOS under steam” they could have had a chance

especially if they’d also let games built against the SDK run standalone and said “also in 2 years we’ll start requiring all games to use this SDK”

but nope, that’d require too much coordination and forethought

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

eschaton posted:

if came out with an SDK at the same time and said “use this SDK for system abstraction and your code will run on all Steam Boxes, as well as every computer running Windows, Linux, and macOS under steam” they could have had a chance

especially if they’d also let games built against the SDK run standalone and said “also in 2 years we’ll start requiring all games to use this SDK”

but nope, that’d require too much coordination and forethought

to be fair they were really busy making hats to sell in tf2

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

just think how much more miserable steam machines would be if they hadn't been delayed a year. it would be easy to see Steam Machines as a warning shot at Microsoft w/r/t the Windows store competing with Steam, but evidently it didn't work and Valve gave up immediately if that's the case.

also look what some idiots decided to revive

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/951919306593337345

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

penny arcade, but gently caress it, it was funny at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the original hueg xbox controller was great. it was the first good controller for a console.