Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Neil Armbong posted:

God drat, digging that hole deeper and further tarnishing your name is a great way to ensure you can find a tech job outside of Breitbart again.

I suppose it's a pretty good way to find a job at Breitbart though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

C-Euro posted:

On top of what others have said, my wife and I really liked Dark. Come for the grim German take on Stranger Things, stay for the grim German take on LOST. Wait don't leave, it's good I promise!

We just started watching Mindhunter but I might try to get my wife to swerve into Godless instead and save Mindhunter for later, the first episode didn't grab me super-hard.

Funny you mentioned Dark because we watched E1 last night. At first I was like what...is...this...but I was actually pretty good and I was interested by the end. We will probably finish out S1.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Schitt's Creek
Detectorists
The IT Crowd
Portlandia
Archer

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Schitt's Creek
Detectorists
The IT Crowd
Portlandia
Archer

This is a good list. Detectorists was great.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Schitt's Creek

Is great.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chiming in to say that The Good Place is indeed funny and the girl who plays Janet is a superstar.

It's also real funny that Jacksonville got good, ruining so many excellent jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59ItK6d-wQ

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just going back through my "watched" list on Netflix and I'm reminded of a few more:

Black Books
Farscape
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Better Off Ted (ehhh. I enjoyed this but it's not actually all that great)
Peep Show
Father Ted

I found some prior to 2016 where my wife and I didn't have separate profiles, so here's some stuff she liked (but I didn't watch):
Foyle's War
Bitten
Hemlock Grove
MI-5
Supernatural
Wallander
Shetland
Longmire

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
All these replies and nobody has said Big Mouth yet?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

kiimo posted:

Chiming in to say that The Good Place is indeed funny and the girl who plays Janet is a superstar.

It's also real funny that Jacksonville got good, ruining so many excellent jokes.

I am solidly on the Jaguars bandwagon

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
big mouth is loving great and everyone I know that has watched it has watched it through in full at least 2 times.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Leperflesh, what's that good chili recipe you shared in either this chat thread or the old one?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chili is just a can of tomato sauce, beans, ground beef, onion soup mix, and taco seasoning anyway, do you really need a recipe?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the mean lunch lady posted:

Leperflesh, what's that good chili recipe you shared in either this chat thread or the old one?

You mean my ICSA chili contest entry?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837557

Here's the full ICSA thread which had a bunch of entries
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833926

And here's the best and winning entry, "Advanced Chilosophy"
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837693

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I've been adding significant amount of curry powder to my latest chili batches, but I'm cooking with tofu so idk if your meat needs the same punch. I think it adds a really nice depth.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I've been adding significant amount of curry powder to my latest chili batches, but I'm cooking with tofu so idk if your meat needs the same punch. I think it adds a really nice depth.

Why tofu? If you don’t want meat just load up on beans. My standard chili is all beans, a mix of black, kidney, and garbanzo. The garbanzos are the secret. They make an amazing addition to vegetarian chili.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Tofu is a most noble and ancient foodstuff that deserves better than decadent bourgeois westerners shoving it into every formerly meaty dish.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tofu is delish. Sometimes I just fry some and eat it dipped in chili sauce. Yum!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tofu is best with meat or fish in dishes anyway.

it absorbs all that meaty essence and tastes incredible. What americans do to tofu is horrible

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

very stable genius posted:

Why tofu? If you don’t want meat just load up on beans. My standard chili is all beans, a mix of black, kidney, and garbanzo. The garbanzos are the secret. They make an amazing addition to vegetarian chili.

It's not tofu or beans my friend, but all of the above.

I also just like tofu, it's yummy.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Tofu is delish. Sometimes I just fry some and eat it dipped in chili sauce. Yum!

This guy gets it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Mr. Nice! posted:

big mouth is loving great and everyone I know that has watched it has watched it through in full at least 2 times.

This. It took me about 4 mins into the first episode to love it. The loving hormone monster kills me every time.

kiimo posted:

The Bortles jokes are still excellent.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

weird Asian candy posted:

Guys, gimme some good Netflix shows to watch.

The wife and I have recently watched shows including, but not limited to (lol) : Dexter, The Fall, The Killing, The Five, Sens8, Bates Motel, The Crown, Stranger Things, Ozark and House of Cards. Any recommendations would be worth it because we don't know what to watch now that The Five is over :(

You may have seen a lot of these but if not...

Freaks and Geeks: Teenage coming of age comedy and drama set in the 80's. Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel and others launched their careers with this show. Lasted one season because it bombed on Fox, but it is absolutely wonderful.

Breaking Bad: Maybe the greatest dramatic series in TV history.

Better Call Saul: See above.

Arrested Development: Simultaneously the funniest show ever and now a time capsule of the early 00's.

The Fall: Scully from the X-Files investigates a series of gruesome murders. Super dark and awesome British crime show.

Peaky Blinders: A family of gypsies builds a crime empire in the early 1900's. Lots of smoking, boozing and brawling. If you hear Arthur say, "WE'RE THE PEAKY BLINDERS!" and you don't crack a smile then it isn't the show for you. Tom Hardy is introduced in the second season and absolutely steals the show.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One of the directors at work just talked me into playing indoor soccer with his team tomorrow despite me saying that 1. I have not played soccer since intramurals in college, and 2. I never played soccer before then, so the idea of moving a ball with my feet feels foreign. I hope they just throw me in goalie and call it a day.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

One of the directors at work just talked me into playing indoor soccer with his team tomorrow despite me saying that 1. I have not played soccer since intramurals in college, and 2. I never played soccer before then, so the idea of moving a ball with my feet feels foreign. I hope they just throw me in goalie and call it a day.

Just mark/stay in front of people on defense as best you can and swing your foot at the ball if you get a chance to blindly clear and you'll probably be fine. If it was a super competitive league you wouldn't have been asked to join.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I really like sitting with my wife and dogs and watching DVR'd episodes of shark tank

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Grittybeard posted:

Just mark/stay in front of people on defense as best you can and swing your foot at the ball if you get a chance to blindly clear and you'll probably be fine. If it was a super competitive league you wouldn't have been asked to join.

This indoor league has has 4 divisions, D to A. This is in C. Apparently A is basically basically college soccer players staying busy in the offseason so it's hyper competitive. But yeah, I grew up basically playing every sport but soccer, so it's weird I get asked to play it as an adult. I'm just going to try and not embarrass myself.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

I really like sitting with my wife and dogs and watching DVR'd episodes of shark tank

I'm finally gonna do it.

I'm gonna finish season 2 of Mr Robot

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i hate people that only eat firm tofu that's sat a week under a stack of books

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I didn't much like garbanzos the one time I put them in my chili recipe, but then again my chili is half cheap canned ingredients from Aldi so :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Apparently the first openly gay US male figure skater will be competing at the Olympics

which means holy poo poo that industry has a closet

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

I'm finally gonna do it.

I'm gonna finish season 2 of Mr Robot

Dang Ross, how long you gonna drag it out?!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Apparently the first openly gay US male figure skater will be competing at the Olympics

which means holy poo poo that industry has a closet

boitano was gay but he didn't admit until only a few years ago

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Wait, Johnny Weir didn’t come out until after the Olympics? Huh.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Frankly I assume they are gay until they can prove in a court of law they have touched a woman

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

Dang Ross, how long you gonna drag it out?!

I've somehow avoided all spoilers but now I'm sick and finally ready!

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Frankly I assume they are gay until they can prove in a court of law they have touched a woman

Same, but with Steve Young

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

kiimo posted:

My favorite line from the last episode was when someone says the Jags suck his response is "No we don't. We just need some offense and some defense and some rule changes."

Also, check out the season 1 gag reel on YouTube. They improvise so many great Jacksonville jokes.

Also, TVIV has its top 10 voting for shows of 2017 that is being culled from the top 50, so check that out for a succinct list.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh, Yuri on Ice gave me some misconceptions about figure skating

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ehud posted:

Freaks and Geeks: Teenage coming of age comedy and drama set in the 80's. Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel and others launched their careers with this show. Lasted one season because it bombed on Fox, but it is absolutely wonderful.
:eng101: NBC

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

Huh, Yuri on Ice gave me some misconceptions about figure skating

I was about to say, are you telling me that the anime industry beat us to having an openly gay figure skater before actual figure skating did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TVIV is at least better than the movie lists.

Please see Cinema Discusso if you are unsure what movies suck and what movies deserve Best Picture.

Here's a hint, anything with the slightest taint of real emotion is horseshit dreck compared to John Wick or The Raid II.