Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
*wishing that I had an actual shirt and not a one piece body suit*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kitchner posted:

I mean they could pull an Archer and do an entire season in the mirror universe before going back to normal.

That could be very good if done well. The show can have all the dark gritty gloom they apparently crave, without spoiling the essentially optimistic character of startrak. They would be able to do whatever they want without worrying about 50 years of canon.

It it isn't done well it would be Voyager 2.0.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah but dark voyager where they're accused of being war criminals was loving awesome

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah but dark voyager where they're accused of being war criminals was loving awesome

"accused of"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MA-Horus posted:

God drat that uniform really popped with the addition of black leather gloves.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I want to get dommed by Captain Killy :blush:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Foreskin Problems posted:

I'd enjoy a session with Killy, but I'd be thinking about Intendant Kira the whole time.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Calling it here: Mirror Mudd is the Terran Emperor.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SpeakSlow posted:

Calling it here: Mirror Mudd is the Terran Emperor.

NO

GOD NO

PLEASE, GOD NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
man, I'm really really wanting to like STD but that episode rubbed me completely the wrong way.

I've always been uneasy with the direction they're going with things, it's like the DC universe where they misinterpreted people wanting darker plots in certain types of shows as people wanting darker plots applied to super hero movies. Tonally this show feels so far off and this week's episode took it to a really terrible place I felt.

The Trump administration analogy was laid on super heavy/sloppily and I'm kind of tired of all of the useless swearing and murder. the sex scene at the end of the episode just felt like the worst thing to end on and it was impossible for me to believe that murdering someone she remembered from her past got her all worked up enough to go get it on with the murderous klingon manchurian candidate

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MMD3 posted:

man, I'm really really wanting to like STD but that episode rubbed me completely the wrong way.

I've always been uneasy with the direction they're going with things, it's like the DC universe where they misinterpreted people wanting darker plots in certain types of shows as people wanting darker plots applied to super hero movies. Tonally this show feels so far off and this week's episode took it to a really terrible place I felt.

The Trump administration analogy was laid on super heavy/sloppily and I'm kind of tired of all of the useless swearing and murder. the sex scene at the end of the episode just felt like the worst thing to end on and it was impossible for me to believe that murdering someone she remembered from her past got her all worked up enough to go get it on with the murderous klingon manchurian candidate

I agree I found the continued dark tone and pointless violence off-putting. I'm still intrigued to see where the story goes, but when all the stabbing and torture happened in the mirror universe, it seemed so similar to stuff we've already been shown in their regular universe so it was a little depressing.

That said, I don't get how episodes like this are supposedly heavy-handed Trump analogies. If anything, they just pay lip service to that stuff but don't actually go anywhere with it. Like in this episode, they had a few clunky lines about xenophobia and fear-based culture. But then the actual story didn't go anywhere remotely political or allegorical. It was just about the same cartoony evil universe tropes we've seen a dozen times in Trek. IMO, if you're going to go there, actually loving go there, old-Trek-style. Do a morality play about a thinly-disguised Planet Trump, or some civilization building a space wall or something.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is all the criticism in this thread just going to be people projecting their political hangups on the series? Asking for a friend.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

SpeakSlow posted:

Is all the criticism in this thread just going to be people projecting their political hangups on the series? Asking for a friend.

Tell your stupid piece of poo poo friend to go back and read all the producer's interviews where they state the arc of the show is directly related to current politics as it was being created.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So, from the responses so far the show is still not good and I should keep holding off?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

evilmiera posted:

So, from the responses so far the show is still not good and I should keep holding off?

Don’t take the opinions of people who devotedly watch every single episode so that they can bitch about how much they hate it too seriously imo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

evilmiera posted:

I was way down on it but it's getting a little better. I am cautiously optimistic they can right the course.

It suffers from it's protagonist being sabotaged pretty badly in the pilot and not being all that likable.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Don’t take the opinions of people who devotedly watch every single episode so that they can bitch about how much they hate it too seriously imo

Heres an opinion of someone who hasnt seen a single episode: Don't watch it. It's going to be, at BEST, mediocre garbage.
It's just a " broadest appeal" Marketing " just tick the boxes" nonsense.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

evilmiera posted:

It's not great at being a Trek show and may piss you off here and there, but it's still good at hooking you in in various ways.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I agree I found the continued dark tone and pointless violence off-putting. I'm still intrigued to see where the story goes, but when all the stabbing and torture happened in the mirror universe, it seemed so similar to stuff we've already been shown in their regular universe so it was a little depressing.

That said, I don't get how episodes like this are supposedly heavy-handed Trump analogies. If anything, they just pay lip service to that stuff but don't actually go anywhere with it. Like in this episode, they had a few clunky lines about xenophobia and fear-based culture. But then the actual story didn't go anywhere remotely political or allegorical. It was just about the same cartoony evil universe tropes we've seen a dozen times in Trek. IMO, if you're going to go there, actually loving go there, old-Trek-style. Do a morality play about a thinly-disguised Planet Trump, or some civilization building a space wall or something.

fair enough, it was just the one scene where they were explaining the terran empire or whatever but it was just a total rolleyes moment. I'm all for some Trump administration lampooning but it just felt really over the top.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

evilmiera posted:

If you've waited this long you might as well wait for the season to end so you can binge it all at once. Is there going to be another billing period-spanning hiatus?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I want gritty space stuff I'll watch The Expanse, if I want star trek I'll watch Orville. STD has no place in my heart.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MMD3 posted:

fair enough, it was just the one scene where they were explaining the terran empire or whatever but it was just a total rolleyes moment. I'm all for some Trump administration lampooning but it just felt really over the top.

I will agree that exposition landed like a thud, which I guess is why I was so frustrated it ultimately didn't even go anywhere.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Clark Nova posted:

Is there going to be another billing period-spanning hiatus?
With just 5 more episodes to go I'd have so much joy if CBS decided to go to a monthly broadcast schedule.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Baronjutter posted:

If I want gritty space stuff I'll watch The Expanse, if I want star trek I'll watch Orville. STD has no place in my heart.

yup, pretty much this... it feels like they're trying for The Expanse but The Expanse just lands so much better because it's believable in that universe and not burdened by the historicity of Star Trek. Like... yeah, I'm cool with Expanse characters swearing and loving and acting like hooligans because they live in a very different universe than Star Trek and it's not gritty for the sake of being gritty, there's actually a reason for things being pretty hosed up that they go to great lengths to explain.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

TOS would have done a completely unabashed takedown of Trump I'm sure of it.

Bring back Sci Fi as counterculture.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Tell your stupid piece of poo poo friend to go back and read all the producer's interviews where they state the arc of the show is directly related to current politics as it was being created.

They specifically call-out Trump? Please share of you can see text anymore through all that red tint.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

SpeakSlow posted:

They specifically call-out Trump? Please share of you can see text anymore through all that red tint.

Holy poo poo just accept that you got owned and go away

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

I like the show and have no idea what the heck has you all riled up about it!

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feelix posted:

Holy poo poo just accept that you got owned and go away

He can defend his own argument. With a link or quote, preferrably. I'll back off then.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I'll admit that Discovery is a decent sci fi show, but it's a terrible installment of the Star Trek canon.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The core concept of Star Trek is essentially supposed to be optimistic. A "dark and gritty" vision of the future where everyone in the federation is a corrupt rear end in a top hat is anathema to the founding principles of Trek, IMO.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpHbLewg79c

SpeakSlow posted:

He can defend his own argument. With a link or quote, preferrably. I'll back off then.

Tell your friend to cram his demands up his rear end.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

The Star Trek canon also includes rape gangs, what's your point? It's pretty bad all around, just enjoy the dumb TV show.

e: I mean this in the most non-antagonistic manner possible. Also, I don't take stock in anyone reviewing anything. What's the video about?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Star Trek canon also includes rape gangs, what's your point? It's pretty bad all around, just enjoy the dumb TV show.

That was in an abandoned colony that had fallen into barbarism outside the Federation. The Federation itself is supposed to embody humanity's spiritual potential to overcome the selfishness and shortsightedness that held us back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I gave up on Discovery after the Pilot, it still really doesn't sound like it's for me but Rich Evans is right that they should have started with the "real" episode 3 pilot rather than the pilot that totally destroys her as a likable character, it's a horrible introduction. Start her off as a starfleet officer with hints of a checkered past she's trying to recover from and make right, make us like and root for her first and reveal how stupid and bad she was after that.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tell your friend to cram his demands up his rear end.

Pyrrhic victory. I'll take it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Don't you see you have to wait until the end of the season or whatever for them to complete their "arc" to get the point whatever it is

I'm sure that'll be it since that's totally what happened last time on this show, for sure

Doing a massive obvious "fascism is bad" story would not just be wholly appropriate to the franchise but also probably the best thing this show could do at this point to get me invested in these characters or anything they get up to

evilmiera posted:

I don't know about everybody else but I'm falling over myself trying to look for bright spots in a boring show that takes itself way too seriously because nobody wants to be like those people that wrote off TNG during it's first crappy seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's not real Trek unless Majel Barrett is the voice of the computer, I'm sorry.