Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
AOT is very good, and the recent poo poo rules. You really gotta be stretching to say it is pro nationalism with the way it hammers in that war is horrible and pointless and the idea of an honorable and brave death is impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I stopped reading not long after the Basement Reveal but the real bad guys were revealed to be a very, very, obvious nazi analogue. Trying to call it fascist is a huge stretch, and I've only seen this argument on SA.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Everyone should just read JJBA and enjoy.

Pt8 is a fuckin trip.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Isayama isn’t old-school, print-it-on-the-page racist like George “Philippinos are monkeys and we did nothing wrong in the War” Morikawa is but AOT does get weird anytime the Japanese characters appear. There’s a scene recently which explicitly serves to set the Japanese character aside from the rest of a crowd and it just feels like it’s leading up to something. I dunno.

AOT is still a good manga with a lot to say for itself, and the pivot from Before Basement (BB) to After Basement (AB) has been remarkable.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Pt8 is a fuckin trip.

I've been giving it a while to build back up, last time I read was like, the weird bathroom scene with Joshu.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Pt8 is a fuckin trip.

I really want to get started on reading pt5. and onwards but I just can never find time to read it - I wish I could read it during my commute but I don't really love reading stuff off my phone.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I think Japanese creators can easily muddle the ideas of race, ethnicity, nationality, and culture in their work. Japan is the closest thing to an actual ethnostate that exists, and that makes it easy to not think much about the difference between those things. This doesn't mean creators can't be genuinely racist or nationalist, but there is a blind spot in Japanese society that easily leads to a sort of unconsidered cultural essentialism. It's just something to keep in mind when considering how the work reflects on the author.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Pt8 is a fuckin trip.

Agreed, everyone should read the Best Manga by Best Mangaka.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

every time this thread talks [...] it falls off a loving cliff

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oxyclean posted:

I really want to get started on reading pt5. and onwards but I just can never find time to read it - I wish I could read it during my commute but I don't really love reading stuff off my phone.

Pt5 is amazing now there's a better translation. Top 3, imo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I should reread part 5

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Neo_Crimson posted:

I stopped reading not long after the Basement Reveal but the real bad guys were revealed to be a very, very, obvious nazi analogue. Trying to call it fascist is a huge stretch, and I've only seen this argument on SA.

Yeah, as a leftie that thinks nazis should be punched on sight, I really wasn't bothered by AoT's "nationalism" at all. Whenever it looked like it would get weird, we'd get a reminder that actually, war isn't cool and people in power are still psychopaths. Seems like a "haven't read it, don't like it" complaint to me, unless the Japanese painting themselves as special especially weirds you out.

Blockhouse posted:

yes, clearly that's the only reason anyone could ever possibly dislike it

every time this thread talks about anime it falls off a loving cliff

Show your work then. :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
AOT is great especially now but One Piece has always been amazing barring the dragged-out finale of dressrosa

it's a shame pat tried to power through the anime, which is trash fire garbage because Toei Animation, instead of reading the manga, which is wonderful

Oda has also successfully made Big Mom as threatening and dangerous as an Emperor should be. She's a big fat old lady who is politically conniving, absurdly strong, incredibly callous and wildly unpredictable. Her backstory is drat good and surprisingly horrific, moreso than even most One Piece backstories, and a lot of the current arc has been spent just trying to redirect her uncontrollable raging hunger, which it turns out she is still fully conscious during.

Oda is a master at taking silly, harmless looking characters like this:

and still manages to give her a menacing air despite the cartoonishness.

and gives them a lot of interesting style, like how all of Big Mom's islands are Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs-esque food islands, with cities and ships made of candy and sentient sweets, like a nightmarish candyland

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Japan is the closest thing to an actual ethnostate that exists
uhhhh well no actually, not at all!

Japan's claim to near ethnic purity comes because the government defines ethnicity as being the same as nationality. So like, there's no such thing as Ainu or Ryukyuans, just Japanese. The non-Japanese it recognizes are only those literally from somewhere else (Koreans, Chinese, Westerners, whatever). Unless you're defining just ethnostate as a state that prefers the majority ethnicity in which case join the club Japan.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 8, 2018

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

hoobajoo posted:

Japan is the closest thing to an actual ethnostate that exists

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

uhhhh well no actually, not at all!

Japan's claim to near ethnic purity comes because the government defines ethnicity as being the same as nationality. So like, there's no such thing as Ainu or Ryukyuans, just Japanese. The non-Japanese it recognizes are only those literally from somewhere else (Koreans, Chinese, Westerners, whatever). Unless you're defining just ethnostate as a state that prefers the majority ethnicity in which case join the club Japan.

I did take the 98% or whatever statistic at face value, so you're probably right, thanks for telling me that. But it does support my larger point about Japan muddling nationality and ethnicity as a problem.

Israel isn't as ethnically homogenous as Japan, or so I thought, so that's why I said what I said. I don't think this is the place to debate this in depth, so I'll drop it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Israel is literally an ethnostate by design, homogeneity doesn't actually matter for being a political ethnostate.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
???????????????????? ???????????????????? ???????????????????? ????????????????????

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
In conclusion, Japan is a land of contrasts.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

So uh... how about them Best Friends?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What the gently caress is End of Zoe where a redneck can solo entire waves of enemies that Chris can barely handle

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tae posted:

What the gently caress is End of Zoe where a redneck can solo entire waves of enemies that Chris can barely handle

chris is very bad at his job, to be fair

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tae posted:

RE is so loving dumb, I love it

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Tae posted:

What the gently caress is End of Zoe where a redneck Santa Claus can solo entire waves of enemies that Chris can barely handle

Makes sense to me.

Hey, that's two LPs that have the actual, real Santa Claus in them. Couple weeks late, but that's fine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

We already went through some random guy going through 40 acres of monsters and infected people. Joe's got the bonus of being old, which makes him even hardier than chumps like SBR Chris Redfield. Old people are tough. Just look at Left 4 Dead. Or any Kung fu movie.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Joe Baker is directly responsible for the death of a man who was just trying to cure his niece, but drat if it ain't a treat to watch him splatter fungus zombies with his bare hands.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

Joe Baker is directly responsible for the death of a man who was just trying to cure his niece, but drat if it ain't a treat to watch him splatter fungus zombies with his bare hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7jJ3sjbp2M

I hope all of the DLC gets compilated together.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Joe Baker for MVCI.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Jack Baker for MVCI.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh barf a whole day of episodes wasted

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jack + Joe Baker for Tekken Tag 3 whenever that happens years from now.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Rodyle posted:

oh barf a whole day of episodes wasted

rodyle...

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Joe with Jack assist where he drives on screen in his car and starts doing donuts all over.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I just got to the part of End of Zoe where Joe fights Swam Man in a cage match and powerbombs it as a finisher.

This DLC is amazing

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 9, 2018

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

just read mob psycho 100. it just ended so u can marathon it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Depths posted:

rodyle...

Yeah turns out I was wrong:

Matt played some Berseria.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Where is the podcast

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Under the vegetable posted:

Where is the podcast

Weather delayed their flights back home, they're going to record the podcast at 2pm EST.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Score.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I love how Resident Evil 7 took the series back to its survival horror roots, but eventually bounced back to action hero monster-mashing with DLC revolving around a crazy, mostly unarmed old man who eventually gets a loving Iron Man gauntlet and punches his mutated brother’s entire torso off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The thing is, he wouldn't need the gauntlet probably if he was able to keep his effigies