Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chew Baca and wookies in general are ageless elf types but cooler. They have claws but using them is culturally unacceptable because it makes them no better than the animals they hunt on kashyyk. They have a whole culture around they're superiority over nature and purposefully try to live their lives as good stewards of trees and poo poo. But rival clans keep selling Wookies into slavery (a running theme in the series) ruining their culture and their ability to fight against with oppression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Yo I just watched a new hope and there are a ton of jokes. Obi wan looking at Han like he's full of poo poo, Han loving with Luke about being into Leia, Leia being a poo poo to everyone it's actually a lot of jokes that are funny when you're super high episode iv is a comedy

"Do you think a princess and a guy like me..?"
"No"
:haw:

"Captain, being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited"
"Sorry your highness, I haven't got time for anything else" :smug:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
A) A vest friend must be close indeed; B) Both Wookies and Mon Cal live to be centuries old according to what I remember from 19 years ago the last time I cared about the EU :psyduck:

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

make the millenium falcon great again

speaking of, with all the fan service towards the falcon in TLJ it would be cool to have some tie pilots not chase it into a tiny tunnel, canyon or space station service channel.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
My ultimate Star Wars film is just An Officer and a Gentleman but it takes place on Mon Cal and every character is a gaping mouthed fish person

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The problem with the jokes in TLJ isnt that Star Wars is some solemn, respectable affair, it's that the spoken jokes are all terribly unfunny and delivered badly.

Conversely the physical humor with Luke ditching the lightsaber, or smoke making it smack Rey in the back of the head, actually works

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Snoke is as powerful as the emperor and is deep in Ben at that moment. And the thought is a flash, and he regrets it. Maybe you should watch the movie again, and not just Kylo's flashback. And how would Luke not have a deeper connection, and therefore reaction, to Ben, who he watched grow up and train, compared to his "relationship" with the monster that used to be his dad?

There is no indication he is "as powerful as the emperor", that's just conjecture on your part. And there's a big difference between having a thought occur to you, and pull out your saber and ignite it, just like it's a big difference from thinking of shooting your nephew in the face, and pulling out a gun, cocking it, removing the safety and aim it at his face.

And your second point contradicts your whole argument. Of course he has a closer bond to Kylo than he did his father, which is why it's so bizarre he tried to murder him in his sleep.

And for the love of god:

bushisms.txt posted:

Snoke.. is deep in Ben at that moment.

Phrasing!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

A) A vest friend must be close indeed; B) Both Wookies and Mon Cal live to be centuries old according to what I remember from 19 years ago the last time I cared about the EU :psyduck:

All wookies Are murdered to dearth. Whether by the ducked up giant hellscape that is kashyyk, other rival wookies, or imperial murdering them not one wookie died of old age. Their like tortoises from space Australia.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Chewbacc' don't crack

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmao

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
My prediction:

SOLO will get between a 70-80 critics score on rotten tomatoes 1 week after premiere. It will have a higher fan rating than TLJ at time of writing (50%)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably who knows what people like ice heard there are people who don't like 6 of the 10 star wars movies like really?!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Benicio Del Toro's character told the Imper- sorry, First Orderers- about the rebel transports heading for the planet. But how did he know about the rebel transports heading for the planet? I don't remember Finn and Rose telling him (I admit I could have missed this, but the friend I saw the movie with also didn't catch it), and they don't seem like they really trusted him beyond his part of their mission.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Benicio Del Toro's character told the Imper- sorry, First Orderers- about the rebel transports heading for the planet. But how did he know about the rebel transports heading for the planet? I don't remember Finn and Rose telling him (I admit I could have missed this, but the friend I saw the movie with also didn't catch it), and they don't seem like they really trusted him beyond his part of their mission.

I think they gave DJ enough information to hack the Resistance fleet, and he took what he needed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Farchanter posted:

I think they gave DJ enough information to hack the Resistance fleet, and he took what he needed.

If that's the case then the movie should have shown it or said it. He obviously needed physical access to hack Snoke's dreadnought, and he was never on a Resistance ship.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
There's a scene where Finn and Rose are talking to Poe about the transports and it's shown that's he's overhearing it. The FO then later say, "We checked his info and ran a de-cloaking scan and found them." What he wasn't explicitly shown figuring out, was that they were cloaked. We don't see him giving the info to the FO, so we don't know if he figured the cloak out or if the FO figured out that they might need a de-cloaking scan to find them. Either way he knew about the transports and told the FO, and at some point someone determined a de-cloaking scan should be run. He cloaked them earlier though to get on the ship, so I'm guess he guessed the Resistance would do that too.

The Finn/Rose storyline was seemingly the one that got the most deleted out of it, so there might be something in the deleted scenes about it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe cloaked vessels are only invisible to typical radar scans an such. The First Order folks would probably have been overconfident that the Resistance is destroyed after vaporizing the ship, and would have missed the shuttles slinking away with the explosion/debris field between them and the First Order.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FuturePastNow posted:

If that's the case then the movie should have shown it or said it. He obviously needed physical access to hack Snoke's dreadnought, and he was never on a Resistance ship.

I would have been nice but- a) it probably would have telegraphed his double-cross too much, and b) if the last cut was down to that or Luke milking the monster titty they 100% made the right choice

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

FuturePastNow posted:

He overheard about the transports, and while he didn't know they were cloaked that we saw it seems easy enough for him to infer it when the FO see nothing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

Finn made a phone call like three feet away from him, he could listen in just fine

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

I Before E posted:

Finn made a phone call like three feet away from him, he could listen in just fine

They literally cut to his reaction as Poe tells Finn about the ships.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ammanas posted:

There's no reason this has to be the case, it's a cynical decision by the film makers and studio to retread worn paths. The frustrating part is their decision is wildly paying off, they've recouped their LucasArts purchase a couple times over already.

The reason this has to be a case because people like constant bombastic CGI spectacles. Like, it shouldn't be that way but you know it will be. Every side story is going to somehow link into the main series and galactic conflict between the Empire/Rebellion and all variations in between. I'd like smaller intimate stories of no name characters that have no stake in either side but they're just living in this lovely, hosed up universe. I remember someone saying something about the Solo film and how it should be a prison break feature or something along those lines, but it's Han Solo so you know it's tied up with both parties. I'd be down with a survival film, bank heist, fuckin' give me space spy/espionage poo poo. I want to see the life of a bounty hunter that isn't Boba Fett, or a Smuggler that's playing Jabba and another crime lord a la Fist Full of Dollars. There's so much they can do with Star Wars but they never will.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

Poe contacted them about Holdo abandoning ship and he was telling Finn to hurry back before the mutiny. DJ was listening in and that may have even been the same scene that he asked Rose’s medallion.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ship the drat IG-88 movie u fuckers

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Smythe posted:

It could be a 90minute prison break film that largely takes place over the span of 3 seconds.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Okay. I guess I just missed that scene. Probably scraping popcorn residue out of the bucket.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

The reason this has to be a case because people like constant bombastic CGI spectacles. Like, it shouldn't be that way but you know it will be. Every side story is going to somehow link into the main series and galactic conflict between the Empire/Rebellion and all variations in between. I'd like smaller intimate stories of no name characters that have no stake in either side but they're just living in this lovely, hosed up universe. I remember someone saying something about the Solo film and how it should be a prison break feature or something along those lines, but it's Han Solo so you know it's tied up with both parties. I'd be down with a survival film, bank heist, fuckin' give me space spy/espionage poo poo. I want to see the life of a bounty hunter that isn't Boba Fett, or a Smuggler that's playing Jabba and another crime lord a la Fist Full of Dollars. There's so much they can do with Star Wars but they never will.

Why deviate from the Marvel formula of jokes, one or two heartfelt moments, and giant CGI spectacles?

It won't last forever but it's printed money so far.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

KaptainKrunk posted:

It won't last forever

:pray:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KaptainKrunk posted:

Why deviate from the Marvel formula of jokes, one or two heartfelt moments, and giant CGI spectacles?

Because..... :smith:

It'd be nice if film makers tried to do interesting ideas.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Interesting" is vague and subjective.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

s.i.r.e. posted:

Because..... :smith:

It'd be nice if film makers tried to do interesting ideas.

This is a billion dollar business you hippie. You think people are choosing where to drill for oil or manufacture iPhones based on ideas about what’s interesting or what makes a good story?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don't normally give any credence to SMG's insane ramblings, but I think these sequel movies have retroactively made him right. Since the new movies are all corporate committee "franchise" films now, everything he said about the characters endlessly repeating the failures of the past is now true, since Disney will never let the story be anything but Rebels vs. Empire.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

It better be about IG-88's rise to fame as the Slam Dunk Champion of Coruscant or someshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ILKMR-xq2M&t=80s

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

KaptainKrunk posted:

Well I mean it's just the personification of what summer blockbusters have always been, and they've been around....boy howdy a long time. So saying that 'formula' will dry up is like saying that summer blockbusters themselves will stop being a thing. No, they really won't. They are basically the only reason people go to the movies anymore, because if it's not some big spectacle why not stay home and watch it on Netflix?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Mulva posted:

Well I mean it's just the personification of what summer blockbusters have always been, and they've been around....boy howdy a long time. So saying that 'formula' will dry up is like saying that summer blockbusters themselves will stop being a thing. No, they really won't. They are basically the only reason people go to the movies anymore, because if it's not some big spectacle why not stay home and watch it on Netflix?

I think Jaws is generally considered the first blockbuster film, but some would point to a slightly later film called "Star Wars."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gone With The Wind, Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments were blockbusters decades before Jaws.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Gone with the Wind is literally just taking a recently popular novel with big fights and romance and throwing attractive leads and a shitload of money at it, it absolutely is a blockbuster film in the modern sense. And that was nearly 80 years ago. That is not a formula that will ever fail. Attractive people blowing poo poo up and maybe going for some make outs, it sells.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

McCloud posted:

There is no indication he is "as powerful as the emperor", that's just conjecture on your part. And there's a big difference between having a thought occur to you, and pull out your saber and ignite it, just like it's a big difference from thinking of shooting your nephew in the face, and pulling out a gun, cocking it, removing the safety and aim it at his face.

And your second point contradicts your whole argument. Of course he has a closer bond to Kylo than he did his father, which is why it's so bizarre he tried to murder him in his sleep.

He uses force lightning at a blink and can manipulate people from a star system away, he's no slouch in the force. And you're getting very semantic when the movie shows and tells you it was a fleeting thought that any Jedi would have when seeing the future and everything they love destroyed. My second was that you were romanticising his relationship to Vader to wave away why he had an extended fight with him, all the while stating his actions in this weren't natural growth, when him being unflinching in that moment would also be considered a flaw.

quote:

And for the love of god:

Phrasing!
Star wars knows what it's doing when a young man is "seduced" to the dark side through night dreams by an old man wearing a gold lamé gown.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

PostNouveau posted:

WSJ wrote a Last Jedi article so ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TildeATH posted:

This is a billion dollar business you hippie. You think people are choosing where to drill for oil or manufacture iPhones based on ideas about what’s interesting or what makes a good story?

Well those things aren't artistic but I get it, Star Wars is always going to sell and it's never going to deviate from the stagnant formula and I hate life.

• Locked thread