Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Back for some new suggestions. I'm not real big into superheroes though I enjoyed a lot of Daredevil. You guys put me on to Fraction's Hawkeye, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Criminal, and The Fix, all of which I loved. I tried Blue Estate and loved how it presented itself except it kinda disappeared up its own rear end trying to be more absurd without every really giving me a story.

So I'm mostly into street level comics, crime comics (didn't really dig Thief of Thieves though), and I don't mind a mix of dark noir stuff and fun/funny ones.

Other areas I'd be interested in checking something out: urban/modern fantasy, espionage, and big heists.

poo poo I loved that didn't fit the mold but I thought I'd name-drop in case there's something in that vibe: Loki, Agent of Asgard; The Immortal Iron Fist. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gotham Central is about the day-to-day operations of the GCPD in a city where Batman and his rogues are active. It's fantastic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought bendis' torso was good crime comic. Had some cool art too

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Quantum & Woody!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Back for some new suggestions. I'm not real big into superheroes though I enjoyed a lot of Daredevil. You guys put me on to Fraction's Hawkeye, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Criminal, and The Fix, all of which I loved. I tried Blue Estate and loved how it presented itself except it kinda disappeared up its own rear end trying to be more absurd without every really giving me a story.

So I'm mostly into street level comics, crime comics (didn't really dig Thief of Thieves though), and I don't mind a mix of dark noir stuff and fun/funny ones.

Other areas I'd be interested in checking something out: urban/modern fantasy, espionage, and big heists.

poo poo I loved that didn't fit the mold but I thought I'd name-drop in case there's something in that vibe: Loki, Agent of Asgard; The Immortal Iron Fist. Any suggestions?

Parker (the late Darwyn Cooke's four brilliant adaptations of Richard Stark's crime/heist novels)
Everything else by Brubaker and Phillips: Sleeper (my absolute favorite) and its prequel series Point Blank, Incognito, The Fade Out ('40s Hollywood noir), Fatale (started out strong, but I wasn't as into it by the end), and Kill or Be Killed (currently running)
Velvet (Brubaker does espionage, in a world where Ms. Moneypenny was the real badass spy, not Bond)
Alias (recent collections have been released as Jessica Jones: Alias because of the show on Netflix)
Gotham Central
The Losers (a criminally underrated action movie on paper, later adapted into a criminally underrated action movie)
The Hood (a supervillain origin/heist story by Brian K. Vaughan)
Chew (an action-crime-horror-sci-fi-comedy; hilarious and inventive with lots of heart, and occasionally heartbreaking)
Suicide Squad (but only the 1987 series written by John Ostrander; you might find the writing a bit dated, but it holds up remarkably well and was a standout for its time. Ignore any modern Suicide Squad stuff with Harley Quinn in it.)
Starman (James Robinson's brilliant 1994-2001 series about a reluctant hipster who becomes the latest hero in a long heroic legacy -- it is my all-time favorite series.)

We have really similar taste, and I think you'll love these.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Parker (the late Darwyn Cooke's four brilliant adaptations of Richard Stark's crime/heist novels)
Everything else by Brubaker and Phillips: Sleeper (my absolute favorite) and its prequel series Point Blank, Incognito, The Fade Out ('40s Hollywood noir), Fatale (started out strong, but I wasn't as into it by the end), and Kill or Be Killed (currently running)
Velvet (Brubaker does espionage, in a world where Ms. Moneypenny was the real badass spy, not Bond)
Alias (recent collections have been released as Jessica Jones: Alias because of the show on Netflix)
Gotham Central
The Losers (a criminally underrated action movie on paper, later adapted into a criminally underrated action movie)
The Hood (a supervillain origin/heist story by Brian K. Vaughan)
Chew (an action-crime-horror-sci-fi-comedy; hilarious and inventive with lots of heart, and occasionally heartbreaking)
Suicide Squad (but only the 1987 series written by John Ostrander; you might find the writing a bit dated, but it holds up remarkably well and was a standout for its time. Ignore any modern Suicide Squad stuff with Harley Quinn in it.)
Starman (James Robinson's brilliant 1994-2001 series about a reluctant hipster who becomes the latest hero in a long heroic legacy -- it is my all-time favorite series.)

We have really similar taste, and I think you'll love these.

These are awesome awesome awesome suggestions.

I'd also throw in the Cooke Catwoman run, both the stuff he did with Brubaker (who continued without him - worth reading) and Selina's Big Score, which he also wrote (and is a wicked heist comic).

I also recommend Black Widow by Edmunson and Noto. Noto has a distinct art style, and Edmunson writes well in that Tom Clancy over the top espionage style.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

These are awesome awesome awesome suggestions.

I'd also throw in the Cooke Catwoman run, both the stuff he did with Brubaker (who continued without him - worth reading) and Selina's Big Score, which he also wrote (and is a wicked heist comic).

I also recommend Black Widow by Edmunson and Noto. Noto has a distinct art style, and Edmunson writes well in that Tom Clancy over the top espionage style.

Thank you! I can't believe I left Catwoman off my list! I have nothing but love for #1-24 by Brubaker (the first two TPBs; Vol. 3 suffered from crossovers and artists that didn't fit) and Selina's Big Score.

I haven't read Black Widow yet, but Noto is one of my all-time top five favorite artists (along with Allred, Cooke, Art Adams, and Kevin Maguire), so I really need to get on that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You definitely need to read Black Widow, given your tastes. I agree on Noto, one of the best comics artists around.

I will throw up a caveat though. Edmunson writes good spy stories, but they're informed by his political point of view, which bleed into the work. Not as much here as in something like Punisher, or the Jake Ellis books, but it's definitely there in the background. It's kind of something you always have to contend with in that genre though.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Stray Bullets fits literally all of your requirements (if you factor in the Amy Racecar stories, and why wouldn’t you).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Some good crime comics are Button Man and Sinister Dexter from 2000 AD. The James Bond comics from Dynamite are quality espionage comics

site posted:

I thought bendis' torso was good crime comic. Had some cool art too

Jinx, Goldfish and Fire are good too, although the last is more of a spy comic

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Skwirl posted:

Squirrel Girl

B33rChiller posted:

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

Lurdiak posted:

Ms. Marvel

all of these look like things I'd be into; thanks!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Vision HC is out. I hear nothing but good things about it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Any must-read Etrigan appearances other than The Demon/Swamp Thing/Demon Knights?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Brocktoon posted:

Any must-read Etrigan appearances other than The Demon/Swamp Thing/Demon Knights?

The 90s Demon series is supposed to be good.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

He was entertaining in his brief Hitman appearances but I wouldn't call them canon essential. Though if you haven't read Hitman why not? It's real good for it's time.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Scaramouche posted:

He was entertaining in his brief Hitman appearances but I wouldn't call them canon essential. Though if you haven't read Hitman why not? It's real good for it's time.

I love Hitman, which is one of the reasons I want to read Ennis' The Demon.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Brocktoon posted:

IIRC, he makes a funny cameo in I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League.
Regardless, that and Formerly Known As The Justice League (which comes before ICBINTJL) are top-shelf funny cape books.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was part of Jeff Parker's Justice League United, which was an interesting little run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How are the spinoffs from Coates' Black Panther run?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well The Crew got cancelled abruptly, World of Wakanda is an anthology series (which, no thank you) and was cancelled abruptly, and Rise of just started but it has a really good comics critic writing it, so of the three I assume it's the most stable and worth your time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Well The Crew got cancelled abruptly, World of Wakanda is an anthology series (which, no thank you) and was cancelled abruptly, and Rise of just started but it has a really good comics critic writing it, so of the three I assume it's the most stable and worth your time.
I read almost everything in trade so I'm far more interested in the two cancelled ones than the ongoing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I liked world of wakanda because its about a black lesbian couple and thats probably never gonna happen ever again in the marvel universe, but tbh it was also a prose writer's first foray into comics and a lot of people didn't like the writing style so ymmv

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Hey guys, I'm not huge in to comics but I'd like to get some to kill some time.

My favourite comic was DMZ. I loved the art and the setting.
Transmetropolitan was good for me too. I liked the Future-HST character and the story.

I guess I prefer dystopian settings. Superheroes less so, especially the more magical and powerful they are. Pretty much anything magical or fantasy turns my brain right off.

Sci-fi is good, though I prefer near-future.

Dark and dirty is good.

I've tried reading Walking Dead (I got through a few volumes before the show premiered) but it lost me. The art never really did it for me, and it got a little more sadistic than I'd prefer. I tried Punisher Maxx too, but pretty much the same (though it was oddly less sadistic and just more violent.) Deadpool kills didn't get me either. I'm normally all for comedy, but... Meh. I also tried 100 Bullets, but only got through a few issues before I found it boring.

Is Ignition City any good? Hellboy? I'm OK with occult.

Maybe my tastes just aren't broad enough.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You'd probably love Lazarus. Sounds right up your alley.

Hellboy is amazing, but might not be for you.

Random titles:
East of West
Planetary
The new Wild Storm series
Authority (warning, superheroes)
Manhattan Projects
Fear Agent

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seconding Lazarus and East of West. Might want to take a peek at Wasteland as well. It's a bit of a harder sell as it's black and white and some people find the art a bit rough. But it's a really good story.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rick Remender's Low is my favourite dystopian comic

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Perhaps Y: The Last Man might be of interest? It's an interesting take on a civilization collapse, where every man - except the protag and his pet monkey - suddenly died.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

St_Ides posted:

Hey guys, I'm not huge in to comics but I'd like to get some to kill some time.

My favourite comic was DMZ. I loved the art and the setting.
Transmetropolitan was good for me too. I liked the Future-HST character and the story.

I guess I prefer dystopian settings. Superheroes less so, especially the more magical and powerful they are. Pretty much anything magical or fantasy turns my brain right off.

Sci-fi is good, though I prefer near-future.

Dark and dirty is good.

I've tried reading Walking Dead (I got through a few volumes before the show premiered) but it lost me. The art never really did it for me, and it got a little more sadistic than I'd prefer. I tried Punisher Maxx too, but pretty much the same (though it was oddly less sadistic and just more violent.) Deadpool kills didn't get me either. I'm normally all for comedy, but... Meh. I also tried 100 Bullets, but only got through a few issues before I found it boring.

Is Ignition City any good? Hellboy? I'm OK with occult.

Maybe my tastes just aren't broad enough.

Tokyo Ghost is your thing. And it's already in a nice big hardcover that collects it all. Also try American Jesus.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 22, 2018

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
That's a good start for me, thanks.

I live in middle-of-nowhere Kenya, so I'll have to get all of these online. And looks like a bunch of them are at least started on Comixology/Kindle unlimited, so I guess I'll get a month of that and start working my way through.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I started reading James Robinson's run on Starman recently and find it to be excellent. I've always had an affinity for books that breathe new life into legacy characters.

I'd totally appreciate if you guys could point me towards any other comics in that vein. Marvel or DC.

Thanks in advance, pals

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The JSA series by Robinson and Johns might fit the bill.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I started reading James Robinson's run on Starman recently and find it to be excellent. I've always had an affinity for books that breathe new life into legacy characters.

I'd totally appreciate if you guys could point me towards any other comics in that vein. Marvel or DC.

Thanks in advance, pals

Morrison's Animal Man, Moore's Swamp Thing, and Gaiman's Sandman all immediately come to mind. Morrison's Doom Patrol as well.

Depending on how loose you want to be, there's also like...Watchmen, original Suicide Squad, parts of the Abnett and Lanning Cosmic Marvel run specifically with Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova...

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 23, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Thanks in advance, pals

Try Ms. Marvel! Young muslim fangirl balances being the new Ms.Marvel with familial duty and customs. drat good, available in omnibus and TPB.

Also, Mark Waid's run on Flash is in nicely collected thick trades, and it's all about Wally West assuming the mantle (and eventually surpassing Barry) of the Flash after Barry Allen sacrificed himself to save the universe. Universal acclaim unless your name is Geoff Johns, in which case I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you to get stuffed.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 23, 2018

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really don't think Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel counts like at all. She's for all intents and purposes a brand-new character and although she's informed by her relationship to Captain Marvel she's not really a "legacy character" by any real definition.

Oh, I also forgot Nextwave. That's kind of the biggest Marvel example of reinventing a bunch of unknown legacy characters in a way to make them appealing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you just want reinventions of characters nobody cares about, Miracleman is about as good as it gets. I guess technically it’s maybe kind of marvel.

I think Spurrier’s X-Men Legacy run was a pretty incredible reinvention of Legion.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Congratulations on reading Starman. It is my OTHER all-time favorite comic, alongside Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League International/America.

For other legacy comics, check out Marvel's Immortal Iron Fist by Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker, and David Aja. It makes Iron Fist the latest in a heroic legacy spanning centuries, and introduces the previous Iron Fist, who was the leader of a Doc Savage-styled team of adventurers.

Fraction and Aja also did a WONDERFUL run on Hawkeye, featuring both Hawkeyes, Clint Barton and Kate Bishop, teaming up, learning from each other, and annoying the hell out of each other.

I highly recommend both. I don't think either Iron Fist or Hawkeye have ever been that cool or fun.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 23, 2018

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is Thor by Aaron any good? I'm a sucker for the HCs since they're so easy to read. Is there an Omnibus of it coming out?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

obi_ant posted:

Is Thor by Aaron any good? I'm a sucker for the HCs since they're so easy to read. Is there an Omnibus of it coming out?

It's incredibly good. One of the best things Marvel is publishing at the moment. No word on an omnibus coming out in the near future, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Aarons thor is very good, well worth a read. I'd suspect there might be a JaneThor collection in a few months but i dunno what their plans are for odinson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tom King's Omega Men is a great recent example of transforming a several decades old 'who cares' team into crucial reading.