Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

weird Asian candy posted:

"Playoff Matt Ryan" is the dumbest of false takes

e:

https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/949870013757906944

Wow, the 4 wins and 1 SB loss? What about the 4 other losses.

Matt Ryan is good, he just doesn’t look like last year’s Matt Ryan is all I’m saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Hell, I've rooted for the Pats instead of the Seahawks and the Falcons. I'd do so again in a heartbeat if the Falcons made it.

in a saints/pats sb 52 i would genuienly hope for the saints to win because i cannot deal with another offseason of an insufferably smug pats fan getting all "mmm how about those rings, oh you don't have any :smug:", especially if they were the first team to get two in a row.

i don't know any saints fans outside the internet so they're easier to ignore

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

FartingBedpost posted:

Wow, the 4 wins and 1 SB loss? What about the 4 other losses.

Matt Ryan is good, he just doesn’t look like last year’s Matt Ryan is all I’m saying.

I mean, if you want to ignore recent history and go back to like his rookie and sophmore years, then yeah...his first two years were not great.

Matt Ryan has been very good for the most part this year, though he went through a couple games where he was visibly shook. The main problem this year with the offense is the new OC, leading the league in dropped passes, and stupid penalties.

Of course he isn't last year's Matt Ryan...that was a historic year. He has been very good though and there are plenty of advanced metrics that support it. Not making GBS threads on you, just trying to point out that "playoff Matt Ryan" is not really a thing.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

sword_man.gif posted:

in a saints/pats sb 52 i would genuienly hope for the saints to win because i cannot deal with another offseason of an insufferably smug pats fan getting all "mmm how about those rings, oh you don't have any :smug:", especially if they were the first team to get two in a row.

i don't know any saints fans outside the internet so they're easier to ignore

Have you not been following this thread? lol this literally happens like every 10 pages itt!

Though if you have to deal with Pats fans irl...goondolences.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Though if you have to deal with Pats fans irl...goondolences.

my brother's fiancee is one and she was nearly impossible to deal with after sb51

also the snark about "y'know you wouldn't be upset if you just cheered for a winner"

thread talk doesn't bother me because lol who cares, it's the internet

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 8, 2018

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Sent from my iPad posted:

The Falcons are the most talented NFC team left,

Nah, the Vikings are. They just don't have an elite QB but Keenum has been playing well enough to make them the team to beat in the NFC.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I mean, if you want to ignore recent history and go back to like his rookie and sophmore years, then yeah...his first two years were not great.

Matt Ryan has been very good for the most part this year, though he went through a couple games where he was visibly shook. The main problem this year with the offense is the new OC, leading the league in dropped passes, and stupid penalties.

Of course he isn't last year's Matt Ryan...that was a historic year. He has been very good though and there are plenty of advanced metrics that support it. Not making GBS threads on you, just trying to point out that "playoff Matt Ryan" is not really a thing.

Oh that’s right you guys have Sarkessian, huh?

And I dunno, I was just surprised that Matt Ryan looked pretty mediocre against the Rams, but I guess he doesn’t need to carry the team with Freeman out there.

And it’s cool, now that the AFCW is out (gently caress KC), the NFCS is the only place that has the “gently caress your team” vision I’m used to and enjoy. Didn’t mean to be rude or anything.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FartingBedpost posted:

Oh that’s right you guys have Sarkessian, huh?

And I dunno, I was just surprised that Matt Ryan looked pretty mediocre against the Rams, but I guess he doesn’t need to carry the team with Freeman out there.

And it’s cool, now that the AFCW is out (gently caress KC), the NFCS is the only place that has the “gently caress your team” vision I’m used to and enjoy. Didn’t mean to be rude or anything.

Yeah, Sark has been better as of late but early on was...spotty...at best.

The timing of the entire offense has been off this year, and it's the weirdest thing. Matt has missed throws he would normally make, our receivers are dropping balls left and right, Jake Matthews continues to bear hug people instead of block...it's just been a really weird year. Matt isn't blameless for sure, but he has actually been very good. I think the final count was he had 7 tipped ball interceptions that should have been caught including the infamous butt interception!

Nah, you weren't being rude it's all good. Welcome to the south!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
This might surprise yall, but teams with really good defenses usually make the playoffs and it's harder to have an above average QBR against them!

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yeah, Sark has been better as of late but early on was...spotty...at best.

The timing of the entire offense has been off this year, and it's the weirdest thing. Matt has missed throws he would normally make, our receivers are dropping balls left and right, Jake Matthews continues to bear hug people instead of block...it's just been a really weird year. Matt isn't blameless for sure, but he has actually been very good. I think the final count was he had 7 tipped ball interceptions that should have been caught including the infamous butt interception!

Nah, you weren't being rude it's all good. Welcome to the south!

"discipline" would be the word, since we have both the most turnovers called back by penalty (six) and the most picks that aren't the qb's fault

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

sword_man.gif posted:

"discipline" would be the word, since we have both the most turnovers called back by penalty (six) and the most picks that aren't the qb's fault

Yup.

It's really the only thing I miss from the Smitty years.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
If it's Saints/Pats, I'd root for the meteor.

But that won't happen. It'll be Falcons/Pats, revenge tour.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/949332018592124928

I know the city of New Orleans basically doesn't have any real doctors or the state of Louisiana a legitimate medical board, but at some point the Saints need to pay some northerners to move down and actually take care of this loving team.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Sent from my iPad posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/949332018592124928

I know the city of New Orleans basically doesn't have any real doctors or the state of Louisiana a legitimate medical board, but at some point the Saints need to pay some northerners to move down and actually take care of this loving team.

Defense is going to be real interesting next year if Breaux comes back and Anzalone ends up being as good as they said he was.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hmmmm....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/08/panthers-admit-cam-newton-embellished-injury-to-buy-time/

quote:

There’s a strange subplot to the question of whether the Panthers failed to properly conduct a concussion evaluation after quarterback Cam Newton took a blow to the head and then stumbled to the ground while exiting the field in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s loss to the Saints. According to Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer, the Panthers now admit that Newton was embellishing whatever injury he had, in order to give backup Derek Anderson time to loosen up.

It’s a stunning admission, with the Panthers consciously picking the lesser of two evils. In lieu of admitting that Newton ended up on his knees because he was unable to finish his left-foot-right-foot path to the sideline, the Panthers are essentially admitting that they gamed the system, ordering Newton to pretend he was hurt more than he was so that Anderson could become more ready than he would have been.

:thunk:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Yea I thought was weird he didnt get flagged for obviously hitting Cam in the head too...

Weird...

Seriously though...thats like football 101. Tale as old as time.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Yea I thought was weird he didnt get flagged for obviously hitting Cam in the head too...

Weird...

If you're going to be all "HEY EVERYONE I MIGHT BE CONCUSSED" during the game, you don't get to come back in one play later with a "nah kidding."

It should be obvious why.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It’s not the sort of thing you say out loud though.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s not the sort of thing you say out loud though.

Probably not, but stalling happens in professional sports. Happens in baseball all the time. Ill give you it is an odd admission lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Probably not, but stalling happens in professional sports. Happens in baseball all the time. Ill give you it is an odd admission lol

Yea, but pretending you have a brain injury is somewhat different than pretending you have a cramp or whatever.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, but pretending you have a brain injury is somewhat different than pretending you have a cramp or whatever.

Did he pretend to be concussed or was he ordered to pretend to be concussed? Im not seeing that?

I was watching the game at a bar so I couldnt hear the announcers. It looked like they were checking his eyes to me. Did they give him a concussion test?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Did he pretend to be concussed or was he ordered to pretend to be concussed? Im not seeing that?

I was watching the game at a bar so I couldnt hear the announcers. It looked like they were checking his eyes to me. Did they give him a concussion test?

He got whacked in the head on the sack and stayed on the ground for a while, then collapsed onto all fours while walking off the field. The read on that is going to be concussion every time, not “he got poked in the eye.” The announcers were talking about concussion protocol, and how it was evidently not being followed.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/950595629700603904

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

well, that was fast

this city is cursed.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 9, 2018

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

They went through the motions extremely quickly, which will probably end up with a hefty fine. If he wasn’t concussed, he acted like it, which is fineable, and if he was the Saints let a brain-shook QB almost tear them apart.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

They were saying the clear visor in his helmet partially detached and poked him in the eye.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think either is perfectly feasible I.e. either he was concussed and they didn't bother doing a proper assessment or he was gaming the system for Anderson.

Either way probably deserves a fine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FartingBedpost posted:

They went through the motions extremely quickly, which will probably end up with a hefty fine. If he wasn’t concussed, he acted like it, which is fineable, and if he was the Saints let a brain-shook QB almost tear them apart.

Almost

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Rewatching the video of the aftermath of the hit and yeah, I agree that Cam looked like a guy reacting to a poke in the eye rather than a concussion.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

omg

https://twitter.com/NFLMemes4You/status/950598221193080832

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Falcons are going to beat the Patriots in the Superbowl. Count it. Come-from-behind, 4 minute drive to end the game and Tom Brady has to sit on the sideline and watch it slip away.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Falcons are going to beat the Patriots in the Superbowl. Count it. Come-from-behind, 4 minute drive to end the game and Tom Brady has to sit on the sideline and watch it slip away.

Keep going Im almost there...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I coulda sworn they told Cam to sit down. There was a trainer out on the field to meet him giving him the "get down" sign.

I thought it was just the usual "We like to examine the players where they are rather than making them come off" thing.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

sorry whatever wretched curse is on this haunted city will ensure that if we make it to sb52 we will again lose in the most crushing way possible.

it'll be 31-0 in the 4th quarter this time, for example.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i think atlanta's overall curse on sports teams is the worst because we are cursed with the ability to look good and allllllllllllllmost make it but never quite actually win a championship. see the atlanta braves in the 90s save 1995 when enough dark magic was weaved to allow for a world series win.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol the only thing that could break the curse was the greatest pitching staff in baseball history and even then they needed 5 tries and a cleveland team to do it

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sorry Falcons fans, but Bama sealed your fate last night. It’s established principle that when the local college team loses a national championship to a Bama team that didn’t even win their conference the next step is that Alex Smith Nick Foles goes HAM on you in the divisional round.

Gonna look real weird watching Foles newborn colt gallop his was to a 30 yard TD on a bootleg, but it’s just destiny at this point.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-part-ways-with-OC-Mike-Shula-QB-coach-Ken-Dorsey/ac55e975-b353-49d1-9b90-4b629efe87e1

IT'S HAPPENED :vince:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If they had done that a week ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Yessssssss. Really didn't expect that.

• Locked thread