Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Corbomite C. Hayes has been on a whirlwind tour of Baldur's Gate. Let's just keep this to the highlight reel.

We're not two steps inside the city before we're hired on as unofficial double secret Flaming Fist deputies, because apparently all the real Flaming Fist are too busy harassing innocent travelers out in the wilderness.

NOT THAT I AM BITTER.

This is such a fun idea for a weapon. I don't really have any use for it though.

We interrupt some wizards' D&D session or something.

Dexterity tome acquired.

This dude's been breeding gibberlings, because of course he has. (This turns into a quest where you scour every underground location in the city for the drat things. I still haven't found them all. I probably can't be bothered to try.)

Man, there's never an Antichickenator spell around when you need one.

Sorry, wrong house.

We get invited to a party at the Merchant's League.

This is the second worst party I've ever been to.

Negotiations with the Temple of Umberlee break down.

Wisdom Tome #1 Acquired.

This fight, part of the Grey Clan mod, is in such a confined area that there's basically no room to maneuver, which leads to some unfortunate consequences, namely Finch and Imoen's untimely (temporary) deaths. It also reveals a plot to attack the Friendly Arms Inn, which we'll deal with later.

After fighting our way to the top of Razimith's Tower (because he got pissy about our freeing the nymph he asked us to free), we have acquired the Intelligence Tome. Which goes to Imoen.

I always knew this was the end state of capitalism.

I'm, uh, going to assume this was a poor translation.

Isn't this basically every Ogre Mage plan ever?

Imoen's thieving fun times with Narlen Darkwalk pay off in a big way.

So I basically blitzed through most/all of the sidequests in Baldur's Gate, but I'm putting off Scar's last quest (the assault on the Iron Throne) til I do Tales of the Sword Coast stuff and finish off a few quest mods. Which is what Corbo is off to do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sadly, Corbomite C. Hayes met his final fate in the final battle with the Grey Clan.

(...it was a really tough fight. I'm sure I saw a Power Word: Kill at one point. After a reload I managed to beat it but, well, that doesn't really count!)

I'd say my Dragon Disciple itch is well and truly scratched. But I'll probably do something else.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That's a shame. I was looking forward to seeing how the Dragon Disciple would differ from a vanilla Sorcerer in BG2.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I won, I won the Carnival! Let's quit while we're ahead.

Yes sidequest lady voiced by Tali from Mass Effect, if you say so.

Through the Mines, Mulahey falls to a bunch of Shaman fodder blocking up his fodder.

Back to town, where Nimbul actually kills Rasaad, but walks into an assload of arrow toting guards. Haha...

Great day in the morning he kills all of them. What

Then he Horrors my team but Dorn gibs him before this can get out of hand. Yeesh.

Due east for Dorn's little sidequest, which nearly goes horribly thanks to yet another Horror. Dorn gets eaten by the Walking Dead before Kryll falls, which I fear may break this quest.

Um, Dorn, we just killed...yeah, this one's probably busted. Oh well.

Hell with it, let's go tear Tranzig a new rear end. Jomo the Shaman has torn Tranzig a new rear end

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You might want to have Branwen cast Remove Fear before fighting mages. ;)

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Suspicious posted:

You might want to have Branwen cast Remove Fear before fighting mages. ;)

Listen to this goon, Remove Fear might be the most consistently useful level 1 spell.

Where is this ogre mage house in Baldur's Gate? I thought I'd been in every encounter in that game, but it continues to surprise me.

---

Priest Softface continues trekking throughout Amn to gather experience and sweet loot, and gold to free Imoen I guess.

Exiting before the NPC that spawned to kick off Nalia's quest could talk to me bugged it a bit, so I thought I had to wait. In the meantime I did the Illithium quest and some stuff for the temple.

After getting her back I knock off the Shade Lich with double Sunrays, one from my spells and one from Daystar.

Mazzy's quest starts, and I knock out the Trademeet stuff at the same time.

Rakshasa gets iced easily.

Cernd wrecked Faldorn.

Trademeet really loves Nalia.

Just like I told you in Nashkel, gently caress off Rasaad.

Rejiek Hidesman goes down easily.

Double Sunrays gets rid of this horde of vampires fairly easily.

Leaving a casting of Heal in Aerie's bank turns out to be a great idea, since I had to throw it out during this fight. No way I would have survived otherwise.

A good party is just so wholesome! Definitely doing an Evil party once this run is over.

This is... not a beholder. I catch on after a couple rounds and get everyone involved to murder it.

No cheese, I feel like I'm at an appropriate level for this fight. Load everyone up with fire resistance, Death Ward, and a whole mess of other buffs.

That's one dragon dead!

That means it's time to go back and take this other pin out. Swap out fire resist for negative plane protection, put in some fire spells for acid damage ones, and see what happens.

This happens!

Planar Sphere with minimal issues, except from the golems in the engine room.

With one Tanar'ri dead, I can go back to the engine room and send us back to the Prime Material.

Or I can go for broke and kill the other two!

Sunray does its job again.

Kangaxx time! Sunray does not do its job this time. Kangaxx the Lich survives my initial barrage of Sunray from me and Bolt of Glory from Aerie and it turns into an actual fight. I held off on using Daystar's Sunray because I wanted to keep Minsc's action free for when Kangaxx dies and turns into a Demilich. After a Finger of Death autokills Minsc and I bring him back with a Rod of Resurrection though I abandon that and fire everything I have.

Eventually he goes down though, I have Minsc go Berserk, and the Mace of Disruption kills him in one shot.

With all business concluded, Priest Softface is going to Spellhold!

Softface fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 7, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's a shame. I was looking forward to seeing how the Dragon Disciple would differ from a vanilla Sorcerer in BG2.

Based on how it played in BG1, I'd guess it wouldn't be all that different. More hit points, slightly better AC, slightly fewer casts per day, none of which are especially game-changing. I don't see the dragon breath being that exciting at higher levels, though it's quite fun early on.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anyway, I kind of have it in mind to play a Cavalier for my next serious attempt, but in the meantime, one thing we've got this year is a severe lack of gimmick parties.

And I'm bored this afternoon.

The Lord of Murder shall perish
But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny
And ROCK will be sown from their passing
Ladies and gentlemen
Give it up for the rock'n'roll sensation
Sweeping every Sword Coast nation
They're loud
They're proud
They're probably gonna die
The Merchant's League of Baldur's Gate is proud to present...

Featuring:

Cassandra Roguestone, Frontwoman, Lead Vocalist, Bhaalspawn

Critical Mister, Keyboards

Soren Sollisgard, Rhythm Guitar, Backup Vocals

Smash, Drummer

Lyta Stormdrop, Backup Vocals

Brock Brockson, Roadie

Cassandra's the Iron Woman for the party, and I'm not sure yet whether I'll end up keeping the rest of the band past the end of Baldur's Gate Proper, assuming we make it that far (lol).

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Oh right, honors. Edited them into my previous post.

Now then, onto Dragonspear!

Sure are a lot of really tough locks in here.

For the first time ever in one of my solo games, Semahl is saved.

Thanks to the fancy gem-wand, however, the Coldhearth lich is not.

I guess Barachus wasn't such a B.A. after all.

Went into this fight prepared to have to start my next run.

Oh god

Help

Thankfully, like many others, she's too stupid to know how doors work, so I'm able to hop out, quaff a couple healing potions, and hop right back in.

Her daughter is a lot easier but also a lot more tedious.

The easiest this neothelid has ever been.

Ohhh, so this is what the puzzle on the wall is for. I've never found it before! Decent sword, too, and one of the few +3 weapons in SoD, which are necessary to hit Belhifet.

Illithid falls easily.

Mimic isn't too tough either.

This fight, though? gently caress this fight, especially as someone who can't wear armor or helmets.

And with that out of the way, it's time for Erin the Kensai to start undermining Dragonspear Castle. I'm still not sure why I'm keeping that +1 throwing dagger around. I haven't needed it even once.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I figured you'd get a little extra gold to outfit an entire party, but nope, 100 gold is all you get. Well, that and the thousand-GP gemstone someone foolishly locked in a container upstairs under the mistaken impression that it belonged to them.

Lyta trashes a few hotel rooms and shouts insults at the guards. It's probably time to move on soon.

Not really the best time for an autograph, my man.

It's a bit weird not prioritizing where I go based on what NPCs are there to recruit. I still do more or less the same High Hedge->Beregost->Friendly Arms progression out of habit, and because it's a reasonably safe way to pick up some decent early items.

I figured I'd have to treat them like they were made out of tissue paper, but it's really not that bad...

...he said before Soren ate a lucky crit from a Gibberling of all things.

Oh yeah, and Tarnesh is coming up and the wizard version of Remove Fear is a level 2 spell, which none of us can cast yet. Shamans don't get it at all. Skald song does make us immune to fear...at level 15.

This is going to be FUN.

Sure enough, he nails half the band with Horror, but Brock sorts him out.

We then grab Evermemory, only to realize that, lol, bards can't use it.

We find another use for it, though.

Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN are resting up before their first big gig in Nashkel.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

First order of business in Brynnlaw: rescue this woman from indentured servitude.

Murder a wizard for a wardstone I'm not even going to use.

Get committed to an insane asylum with Minsc's help.

I think you would've been better off if you'd stayed on werewolf island, doggy.

Bye forever, Nalia. Your sanctimonious drivel is no match for my childhood friend.

Hm, I never remember running into a lich down here. Maybe I'm a tad overleveled at this point.

I really hate riddles.

HATE them.

They're the absolute worst.

Has anyone ever found fish city to be a challenge?

Sorry friend. I tried to not kill you, but now you're dead. I hope you don't show up again in the future if I live that long.

This is a convenient place to stop. Priest Softface has reached the Underdark!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Erin specializes in flails, daggers, and scimitars. There are no +3 drops of the former two in SoD, but if you can kill this dude fast enough, he drops the only +3 scimitar.

I did not kill this dude fast enough. Guess I'm fighting Bellend with only poo poo I'm not proficient in.

Ignore the dragon ghost, for she know not what she do.

:)

She doesn't stick around to help me with the lich I pulled into the plane, but whatever, I still had charges left on the convenient anti-lich wand.

I don't think he likes me very much. :(

Spend a few waves here grabbing some more XP, periodically saving in case of crashing.

Okay this seems like a good time to leave.

Get a fancy +3 longsword and it's time to face Belhifet with weapons that can actually hurt him.

Ow.

It's okay though. Evil will always triumph, because... different kind of evil is dumb? I don't know. I didn't think it through.

Slog through the sewer and oh look, it's forced party members that conveniently match up with who you have at the beginning of Shadows of Amn, cuz wouldn't you know it, Erin the Kensai is headed south after saving the world again!

Honors: Siege Breaker, Conan the Bhaalspawn, Honorable Trader, Iron Party

edit: And before I can even get enough screenshots to matter, Erin has died to Improved Ilyich which I'll be uninstalling for my next run because I forgot how completely stupid it is.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 8, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

docbeard posted:

We then grab Evermemory, only to realize that, lol, bards can't use it.

Bards really get the shaft when it comes to items in BG1. No Evermemory, no robes of any kind, not even any Elven Chainmail unless you take along one of the EE NPCs. At least they can use The Amplifier.

Tumblr of scotch posted:

edit: And before I can even get enough screenshots to matter, Erin has died to Improved Ilyich which I'll be uninstalling for my next run because I forgot how completely stupid it is.

Man that's a shame. I really hoped Erin could pull it off.

Now I'm curious though. What does Improved Ilych do?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Bards really get the shaft when it comes to items in BG1. No Evermemory, no robes of any kind, not even any Elven Chainmail unless you take along one of the EE NPCs. At least they can use The Amplifier.

Yeah, and I'm obviously not taking NPCs along this time around (though I might mug Dorn for his sword at some point). I think I have something installed that adds some extra bard/rogue items, but even then it's slim pickings, especially early on, especially when you're running three bards like some sort of idiot.

On the other hand, three wand users is probably gonna be pretty nice eventually. And three people who can cast sleep/magic missile/chromatic orb is already proving useful.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I realized when I started the game up today that I must have forgotten to save before quitting last night. Fortunately all I had to redo was selling Evermemory and telling Jaheira thanks but no thanks.

Cassandra and Silke have a dance-off. It does not go Silke's way. Garrick tries to hook up with us after, but we're good, thanks.

While we're here in Beregost, we spend most of the proceeds from Evermemory on some new equipment for Brock, including a magic axe and shield and a helm of charm prevention.

Look, our contract specifically said no spiders.

The law tries to hassle us on our way south.

HELLO NASHKEL

Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN will be making a special one night only appearance at the Nashkel Iron Mine.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

docbeard posted:

Anyway, I kind of have it in mind to play a Cavalier for my next serious attempt, but in the meantime, one thing we've got this year is a severe lack of gimmick parties.

And I'm bored this afternoon.

The Lord of Murder shall perish
But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny
And ROCK will be sown from their passing
Ladies and gentlemen
Give it up for the rock'n'roll sensation
Sweeping every Sword Coast nation
They're loud
They're proud
They're probably gonna die
The Merchant's League of Baldur's Gate is proud to present...

Cassandra's the Iron Woman for the party, and I'm not sure yet whether I'll end up keeping the rest of the band past the end of Baldur's Gate Proper, assuming we make it that far (lol).

uuh why isn't this party full of bards...?

edit: nevermind, I'm blind! please go ahead.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

netcat posted:

uuh why isn't this party full of bards...?

edit: nevermind, I'm blind! please go ahead.

I did briefly consider installing Song and Silence and playing with nothing but bard kits but I wanted there to be some chance the party would make it to the end!

Besides, I love my Shaman drummer.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

In Beregost, that Elminster guy proves too much for Neera's assassination attempt. Poo.

Our sterling reputation accidentally murdering nymphs and such gets us free pass with the bandits. Yay.

You do that, Tazok. Now that we've unlocked your camp, we're heading back for a couple of things.

YOU DON'T SAY

Back to High Hedge, where Imoen gets ditched for our resident terminator Kivan. We have a bandit camp to murder...

Well we would, I even remember to throw Remove Fear on everyone before storming the tent. Unfortunately that doesn't do much versus the archer guy in there unloading a bunch of plus arrows on poor Jomo. RIP Jomo the Shaman, arrowed by some named bandit

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Man that's a shame. I really hoped Erin could pull it off.

Now I'm curious though. What does Improved Ilych do?
It's from Wes Weimer's Tactics mod. It changes Ilyich and his cronies in the starting dungeon.

Ilyich: Level 12 barbarian with a special ability that fatigues the whole party.

Cronies:
Zhivago: Level 22 cleric with HLAs including Summon Fallen Deva

Karamazov: Level 12 wizard slayer with a +2 crossbow and +3 bolts

Rasputin: Level 12 monk

Neophyte Glabrezu: Not as stupid to fight as a regular one would be but still immune to nonmagical weapons

Jailkeep Golem: A golem and also immune to nonmagical weapons.

It also replaces the minor goblin spawns around Chateau Irenicus with two dwarven fighters and two dwarven wizards, and makes it almost guaranteed to be interrupted by same while resting. Basically it's for people who hate themselves.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh neat, I haven't done one of these in ages. And I've still never played the new BG1 Dragonsiege stuff.

Will roll up a dude tonight and see how much I have memorized still.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Haha, that's just cruel. A Deva could probably take on an entire level 9 party by its own.

----

Starting the game with four times as much experience as you'd normally have at this point almost feels like cheating, but I guess it only amounts to two extra levels.

I transferred this little beauty from the first game since it might come in handy against spellcasters.

Although at the moment, a different axe is proving to be MVP: Azuredge. Instantly killing undead is so satisfying.

Even liches can't stand up to it.

Rayinc Gethras can be a nasty fight, but he's pretty much helpless against the Mustard Jelly form from the Cloak of the Sewers. I wait until he wastes all of his spells and then beat him to death.

A strategy which works just as well on liches, incidentally.

Barry continues questing in Amn.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tumblr of scotch posted:

It's from Wes Weimer's Tactics mod. It changes Ilyich and his cronies in the starting dungeon.

Hahaha, isn't this the one that even people who were otherwise into boasting about how they beat every other Tactics module with a single-class fighter armed with a rusty butter knife looked at and went "wow, that's a bit much"?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

docbeard posted:

Hahaha, isn't this the one that even people who were otherwise into boasting about how they beat every other Tactics module with a single-class fighter armed with a rusty butter knife looked at and went "wow, that's a bit much"?

Yes, but that was kind of the point - Improved Ilyich was made mostly as a joke, to poke fun at precisely that kind of player.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The band has a little time to kill before the big show in the mines, so they decide to take in the local county fair.

The locals could be friendlier.

We decide to work a bit of pyrotechnics into the act.

Lyta now has a backstab modifier, which she puts to good use stabbing a bear in the, uh, back.

I wonder about that girl sometimes.

(Not pictured: Greywolf was about as much a music lover as he is an appreciator of fine sculpture.)

Finally, it's time for the big event!

BLACKER THAN THE BLACKEST BLACK, TIMES INFINITY

On our way out, there's a bit of a rumble concerning the Lost and Found contents.

Lyta decides to, uh, give him back his dagger.

Ugh. Paparazzi.

Most of the damage to Brock is from our Necklace of Missiles, because I forgot he was wearing the Antipode Belt.

We almost lose Soren again.

Ugh. A goth act.

Time to blow this popsicle stand.

Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN have rocked the Nashkel Mines. They're off to headline an open air festival somewhere up north, along with acts like Blacktalon and The Chills.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Cronies:

George Lucas says it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL4pzuwSUQ&t=3s

Now, it's a joke mod and all, but now I'm wondering. Did anyone actually manage to beat it?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Ahhhhh, let's try this again. Go go Westley the Cavalier!

Still pretty dang good for not rerolling.

Westley is immune to Fear so I'm straight away not afraid of mages like Tarnesh. Although he does smoke Montaron on the way down.

I rescue Neera again because I'm clearly a masochist. Fight is notable for the Red Mage Color Spraying his own group into a coma.

Silke gets blown up. Neera is Squirrel Girl.

I go searching for Melicamp and HOLY poo poo NEERA CALLS IN A NABASSU

I run the ever loving gently caress away, a whole lot of corpses are left in its wake by the time it unsummons. Including Khalid who took a hit, panicked and ran right into the thing. Oh well.

Melicamp, if you don't live after after all this, I swear I will kill your corpse.

Melicamp Lives. Jesus. Westley the Cavalier is in High Hedge going to way too much trouble to save a chicken

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Halser posted:

Now, it's a joke mod and all, but now I'm wondering. Did anyone actually manage to beat it?

I did, but I cheesed it by replenishing Yoshimo's traps by dual classing then canceling. Fun thing: "Improved" Ilyich's gang uses some sort of alert to warn each other when they spotted you to prevent you from peeling them off one by one. It aggroes everything on the floor, including the neutral dryads.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

sounds like he didn't go far enough then.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Before hitting up BanditFest, the band decides to play a few smaller, local venues.

It occurs to me as I write this update that we haven't actually yet gone to talk to Flaming Fist lady. And I've got some bandit scalps still burning a hole in my pocket.

Ew.

Farm-Aid wouldn't be the success it is without the donations of music lovers like you. We thank you, and Arabelle the cow thanks you.

We get into a bit of a toss-up with some local talent.

...goddammit, Soren, are you cursed or something?

We pick up a new magic weapon for Soren. NOT THAT HE'S AROUND TO APPRECIATE IT.

We meet a traveling jug band and get their autograph.

Ugh. Music critics.

Seriously dude, did you date a mummy or something?

Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN are (still) on their way to BanditFest.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Halser posted:

I've beaten it once, I used the same cheese Suspicious did, the Tactics AI could also be kited to a degree, allowing for easier kills with a bit of luck. Zhivago's spells can also be interrupted, (Tim Imoen has Magic Missile, after all) so it could potentially have been even harder, Weimer could've made Zhivago's spells uninterruptible or something. With something a little more modern, like SCS's more robust AI it would be much, much worse. It's definitely not something I would ever consider playing again though, Tactics is really showing its age now.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 9, 2018

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Vincenzo the fighter/thief sets out to do some recon and sabotage.

Coalition camp.

And immediately off to a few half-sized areas with a bunch of mooks to kill. Second one had a vampire. Wee.

Hot tip: Bluffing your way past crusade checkpoints in SoD is based on your PC's charisma. It doesn't matter if you have a charismatic party leader (in my case, Dorn) or use a charismatic NPC to talk to them (or both!). Fortunately, a potion of persuasion and the nymph cloak gave Vincenzo enough charisma to succeed.

In the crusade camp, I foolishly decided to fight the sentry of Tempus, a rather nasty golem.

I sided with the evil druid and killed the good ones for the cheev.

The fugue plane fight is the only fight really worth mentioning. Lots of mages, kind of a clusterfuck. The first thing you want to do is deal damage to the named mage (an arrow of dispelling works very well for this) so that she drops the urn with which she controls the ghost dragon. It will then join the fight on your side!

Yeah, it steals your experience but I didn't really care.

Back at the coalition camp, the crusade attacked. The fourth and last wave is the only one that could really be called challenge. Apparently there was a druid that cast insect plague, but most of the enemies were already dead so whatever. Onward to Dragonspear!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Why don't we share our honey? Then they won't steal it from us.

gently caress you too, Xzar.

On the way out, Neera gender bends Minsc. Who was already wearing the gender bend belt. Does that make him some kind of hermaphrodite? Some questions should not be pondered.

Yes Drizzt, I'm a helper.

Well I mean Neera did just call up a Tanarri...

Off to the Mines. Greywolf is...surprisingly tough. Killing him though nets me his nice +2 sword, meaning my stuff is no longer in danger of breaking. Yay.

I hate the Mines. They do poo poo like this where you have to lead with your Thief to disarm traps, then they get unloaded on with unavoidable arrows...

Then I surround Mulahey on all sides and explode him before he can even call his backup. Haha. Westley the Cavalier has cleared the Mines

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

I hate the Mines. They do poo poo like this where you have to lead with your Thief to disarm traps, then they get unloaded on with unavoidable arrows...

Just as a note, searching for and disarming traps does not break invisibility.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think I speak for all of us when I say gently caress Beholders. I have absolutely no qualms about cheesing these bastards with the Shield of Balduran.

One of my biggest gripes with BG2 are the random encounters. In BG1, there was a fair number of them and they depended where you were on the world map. Here, I seem to run into the exact same bandit encounter every time, even in wilderness areas.

De'Arnise Keep goes by pretty easily thanks to the +3 Axe with additional fire damage.

Fun fact, trolls do piercing damage and thus can't hit you when you're a Mustard Jelly. Pretty funny, but not very useful since I can't outdamage their regeneration in this form. It might be useful for a full party though. Get one Mage with Polymorph Self to tank, and have everyone else use ranged attacks.

At this point, I decide to kill the Lich in the Bridge District so I have both body parts for reanimating Kangaxx. Should be fairly straightforward using the Mustard Jelly + Azuredge strategy.

Wait a second, this isn't the Lich's room.

Oh dear.

It goes about as well as you'd expect. I transform into a Mustard Jelly to avoid Shangalar's spells, but then get level-drained to death by the vampire.

RIP Barry, killed by picking the wrong door.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Vincenzo the fighter/thief wraps up SoD.

The siege begins.

It's a spammy clusterfuck to start then it dies down, but mooks kept coming from the NW. I eventually realized I probably have to kill named NPCs to make them stop coming. Poor Ashatiel was instantly deleted by 2 wands of frost and 2 wands of the heavens.

Predictable betrayal.

Pretty, colorful Avernus.

Final battle. I wussed out and didn't let Caelar become a blackguard because I have no idea how strong she is, whereas I know for a fact that Hephernaan is a total pushover. I was also pretty light on the martial front with just Dorn and Vincenzo.

It took longer than I wanted but eventually Belhifet fell before my buffs did.

Murder.

Trial.

Escape.

Done.

Honors earned: Siege Breaker, Honorable Trader, Role Player, Purist

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 10, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The bouncers at this dive bar in Gnolltown where we picked up a last-minute gig aren't too keen on us.

Wristband, my man, you've got to have a wristband
You don't have a wristband, you don't get through the door

And I said "wristband? I don't need a wristband
My axe is on the bandstand, my band is on the floor"

The crowd rushes the stage.

And apparently they pay in self-help books. See if we come back here again!

Back at the fair in Nashkel to do a bit of shopping, some fool decides to try his luck at pickpocketing us. Brock roughs him up.

We come across this sleazy producer, but we're not interested in selling out.

When you donate to Farm-Aid, your entire donation is used to help people like Brun here recover their sons' bodies from pits full of giant acid-spitting insects.

...it's a really specific charity.

These guys have been standing in line for BanditFest for a really long time.

Ardenor Crush and the Chills are playing this festival too? You know, I even heard that Tazok, the lead guitarist for IRONTHRONE, was around, but there's no sign. Maybe he had to cancel.

The accommodations here are not the greatest.

But that's okay, it's soon time for the main event!

We knock 'em dead. And afterwards, chatting up this talent scout out of Baldur's Gate, we hear about this underground club up past Cloakwood that we really need to check out. Though we're probably going to tour the Sword Coast a bit more first.

Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN have played BanditFest.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Back to town, Nimbul is silly enough to follow me into the inn where Dorn takes his head.

Kryll is far less worrisome when I remember to throw Remove Fear up and block her sucker shot of Horror...

Back to the Bandit Camp where I decide on a different way to go about this. The methodical death of every last rear end in a top hat here!

Hum dee dum...

Taurgosz and his nice plate mail take absolutely forever to punch through. Back to town to heal...

And with the outdoor guards all dead, I can do the cheeseball thing of storming the tent, backing out so whatshisface and the Gnoll follow me to death...

Then Venkt...

Hakt, you rat bastard! I've come to avenge Jomo! I've come for your SOUL. Westley the Cavalier has murdered the Bandit Camp

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh no. :ohdear:

That's a sad end to a great run.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Samuel Clemens posted:

RIP, I sympathize.

Blaxploiter heads down to the temple district and enters the sewers.

To gank fools.

And destroy the Unseeing Eye Cult.

A crapton of undeads, beholders and idiots later, Blaxploiter completely wipes out the Cult!

Now to the De’Arnise Hold!

Yuan-Ti and Trolls for everyone.

D-Daddy???

Punching Tor-Gal in the face.

And liches too.

Like Barry, Blaxploiter pick the wrong door. Ooops.

Luckily, being an iron golem turns this fight into a walk in the park.

And then, I make the stupidest decision ever, I pick a fight with Mind Flayers.

The first fight is easy enough.

Disaster, the iron golem form could not fit into the door of the mind flayer lair, so I had to switch back constantly, so they swarmed me just in front of the door where I couldn’t risk switching back and run. Also, as I suspected, some psionic bullshit bypasses magic resistance completely and I eventually failed one, got stunned and killed super quickly.

Hubris, oh hubris.

RIP Blaxploiter the Iron Golem, Mind Flayers sucked out his brain

Time to reroll :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I've never beaten Baldurs gate 1 or played a bard before, but I'm sure this will work out somehow....

Redd Shirt the blade rides forth from Candlekeep to glory!

• Locked thread