Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the joke is getting paid leave in 2017 America

hahahhaa! getting paid not to work! what a ridiculous fantasy!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

the joke is getting paid leave in 2017 America

hahahhaa! getting paid not to work! what a ridiculous fantasy!!

but that tweet was dated 2018?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Plutonis posted:

lmao on the same page

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

exmarx posted:

the classic round bald head thick glasses lovely moustache lib look

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

chris hayes is good actually
he's less bad than other people in the establishment lib clique but he's got plenty of work to do

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ok i think i spoke to soon earlier when i said we're done here

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/949449224181166080

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Nanomashoes posted:

chris hayes is good actually

his entire demeanor is bad and i want to stuff him into a locker

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Reading that is like slogging through pure molasses

Here is a translation from idiotspeak to english so you don't have to share my pain:

* People identify with the hero of a story.

* Film heros used to be grounded in regular peoples real world experience

* Western were grounded by rural people experiences with horses

* Action flicks were grounded in military mens experiences

* Modern superhero flicks are grounded in nothing but fantasy, ergo something something millennias are weak baby piss ants identifying with a fantasy

also what the gently caress does "Indexical Reality" mean in this context? Is this a fancy way of saying "physical reality?"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

White Rock posted:

also what the gently caress does "Indexical Reality" mean in this context? Is this a fancy way of saying "physical reality?"

I have no idea but I feel a need to break it down. Okay:
"What sets the 21st-century superhero film apart is the break it represents between both indexical reality — a commonplace of the digital-era spectacular — and any known physical experience."

so there's a difference between the indexical/deictic reality and the known physical experince, which in other words means "the real world", and "the physical world" ...?

also it's both of them, between which there is a break!

i think the sentence is basically the worst way to academicly say that reality and fantasy are two different things, and superheros are on the fantasy side of the coin.

i do agree that super hero movies are poo poo though

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

cursed image, noped out at the first line

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

White Rock posted:

* People identify with the hero of a story.

* Film heros used to be grounded in regular peoples real world experience

* Western were grounded by rural people experiences with horses

* Action flicks were grounded in military mens experiences

* Modern superhero flicks are grounded in nothing but fantasy

This is all true though and something I've noticed myself. No idea what conclusions to draw from it though

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/cillizzacnn/status/949287050070683649

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

hackbunny posted:

This is all true though and something I've noticed myself. No idea what conclusions to draw from it though
HERE IS A HOT TAKE: Most action films are simple stories of good and evil, and we lack many real world examples of good institutions that we can hold up as the "good side".

"Rambo 4, Return to Iraq" would probably not fly so well. So who would be the goodies vs baddies in a symbolical reflection of modern society?

Instead just make up an evil, and make up a good, and have them clash over life or love or friendship or whatever

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hardcore Henry is a better robocop remake than the official one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fresh!

weirdly thats not a jan 5 2017 tweet

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

White Rock posted:

So who would be the goodies vs baddies in a symbolical reflection of modern society?

capitalists vs the proletariat.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jose posted:

The Thunkularity

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

capitalists vs the proletariat.

"Dr. Miles Manners was just your average investment banker but he was struck by lightning and now he's
CAPTAIN CAPITALISM!!

Crushing the evil that plagues our land like the sinister Dr. Communoctopus (bernie sanders head with eight arms) & the vile Black Lives Matter Gang!"

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

hackbunny posted:

My bad theory: Superhero flicks are grounded in the experiences of powerless people.

A story arc common of many superheros is that they start off as a powerless nobody, somehow get superpowers, and end a victorious hero in a position of power and control over their surroundings. If you're stuck in a lovely job with a mountain of debt and no real prospect of that situation changing anytime soon it's a fun escapist fantasy to watch a similar loser get strong and kick their oppressor's rear end.

Maybe the reason superhero flicks have gotten relatively more popular is that a larger percentage of the population feels powerless and hopeless.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PDP-1 posted:

My bad theory: Superhero flicks are grounded in the experiences of powerless people.

A story arc common of many superheros is that they start off as a powerless nobody, somehow get superpowers, and end a victorious hero in a position of power and control over their surroundings. If you're stuck in a lovely job with a mountain of debt and no real prospect of that situation changing anytime soon it's a fun escapist fantasy to watch a similar loser get strong and kick their oppressor's rear end.

Maybe the reason superhero flicks have gotten relatively more popular is that a larger percentage of the population feels powerless and hopeless.
not only is this not a bad theory, it's practically the origin of comic book superheroes. so many of them were created by american jews who couldn't get a job making art in any other industry. at the time, comic books were the absolute lowest form of art. hence, Superman was created by two jews from cleveland, while two lower east side jews (stan lee and jack kirby) created or had a hand in creating countless other superheroes. they were the underdogs that nobody wanted, but in their fantasies, they kicked rear end

i think superhero movies today are popular because they're pure escapism. at a time when so much entertainment feels like it needs to make a greater point about society and tends to get preachy about it, superhero movies have simple stories and flashy effects. that's why the Marvel movies have done so well and why DC movies are terrible on account of being directed by humorless dickhead zach snyder

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
and escapist fantasies can placate the masses temporarily so they dont fix the structural problems of society, so they keep seeking escapist fantasies...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PDP-1 posted:

Death Wish is a better power fantasy, imo.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

if your Alt- Right maybe

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Jose posted:

I’m 100% sure that within 10 years the New York Times will have a think piece about how raising the wages of Indian child sex doll AI-programmers on the New Bengal Barge moored close to Liberty Island sets a dangerous precedent.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://mobile.twitter.com/Nonjob2018/status/949565365155192833

:stare: :godwin:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Petain Did Nothing Wrong.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KomradeX posted:

if your Alt- Right maybe

The perfidious Alt-right has been around forever I guess.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The perfidious Alt-right has been around forever I guess.

In one guide or another yeah

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ginarush/status/950205092484980737

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you don’t love the new Disney (a multi billion dollar international corporation) movie, Star Wars, you’re a massive bigot: https://bittergertrude.com/2018/01/04/why-so-many-men-hate-the-last-jedi-but-cant-agree-on-why/

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Death Wish 1 and 2 weren't too bad, Death Wish 3 is where it went straight up "murder all the darkies"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MikeCrotch posted:

Death Wish 1 and 2 weren't too bad, Death Wish 3 is where it went straight up "murder all the darkies"
I'm specifically talking about the first one. But Deathwish 3 was the gang that was also racially diverse, though majority white. I haven't seen DW4 or 5.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

if you don’t love the new Disney (a multi billion dollar international corporation) movie, Star Wars, you’re a massive bigot: https://bittergertrude.com/2018/01/04/why-so-many-men-hate-the-last-jedi-but-cant-agree-on-why/

carrying water for a blockbuster should be a crime

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

MikeCrotch posted:

This is a spicy hot take since Death Wish 3 is far and away the best of the series.

The director is a rape-fetishist monster though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

People who can only engage politics through science fiction films or young-adult book series make me angrier than the chuds do, because people like this should know better.

calling a by-the-numbers soulless corporate assembly-line film “the Hillary Clinton of filmmaking” is pretty accurate, though. Except Clinton wasn’t as amorally capitalistic as the Disney corporation this lady is laying her life down for free to defend.

Serf
May 5, 2011

also disney is successful (ugh) whereas clinton

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/davidharsanyi/status/940585579275747328

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

May your Christmas be snowy, Joey!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

can we stop airing awards shows on tv? every one begets even worse thinkpieces than the one that came before it. granted, "Oprah for president" isn't a new thing, but it should have stayed dead
assuming that black people uniformly approve of neoliberalism and the post-Clinton democratic party seems pretty racist too, my guy