Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I was thinking about this today. Could there ever be a "final" persona game? Imagine a last game where the casts from every game join up to take down whatever creates the problems in the metaverse itself.

Every game it's a new god to kill. This time attack the source of everything. Where do these annoying gods from? Is there a way to stop that? There's my idea for a persona game. Granted that seems to be a by product of the human subconscious so I'm not sure this is possible?

I like the idea though and everyone would start at level 99 and face a whole new level of enemy. I guess the idea of fighting one "final evil" doesn't work though for persona because it's the human subconscious that causes all this in the first place?

Still I'd like my basic game idea with all the casts from every persona game joining together to fight an even more powerful foe. That would be good enough! Make it a mainline persona game and call it Persona S+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, even the things that enslave humanity are initially created out of humanity’s collective unconscious. Humanity will always create problems for itself no matter how many times it pulls through.

The fear of death will always be with us. The pursuit of the truth is a journey that doesn’t have an end. And no matter how well we do, we’re going to pass our mistakes on to the next generation to fix as they will too one day.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just want the next one to be a character at university or even in a full time job rather than at high school.

We've seen high school.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I just want the next one to be a character at university or even in a full time job rather than at high school.

We've seen high school.

When Persona 6 comes out in 2025, anime will already be real.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Whew! It took a few hours, but I finally made it through the last stretch and finished the game. :toot: Clocked in 114 hours, though I think a handful of them are from when I left the game running to check a guide or do something else.

Apart from trying to get platinum though (which doesn't seem too terribly hard if you can resummon your Persona again), I'm not sure where to go from here. SMT 5 is coming out for the Switch, and I'd like to play that, but I'm not sure about going back to the other Persona games. Persona 4 was the one I wanted to play for the longest time, but now I'm a little reluctant to do so (I think some of the complaints about the over-saturation of P4 and its spinoffs has soured me on playing a bit)

Gotta ask: can I delve into some of the story stuff, and some other miscellaneous stuff that might be considered spoilers, or is there another thread for that? There a lot I wanted to ask about.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's a spoiler thread but it hasn't been used in ages; you can probably just spoiler tag some of your stuff and it'll be fine.

Persona 4 is still a good playthrough; the beginning is really slow compared to P5, but everything is still solidly competent. I just wouldn't play it unless it's Golden.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I hadn't played the game for a while, but I picked it back up last night. I'm in the 3rd dungeon I think Kaneshiro's - the bank. I had a couple of annoyances where I got "stuck" against a wall, and instead of pulling away from it, Joker swung around to the other side of it, and got spotted by an enemy. :argh: The Stealth mechanics are fine when they work, they do fit the game quite well, but sometimes they can be annoying. I might try to power through it now, I'll be away for 2 weeks but I might try remote play from my Vita.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Persona 4 is still a good playthrough; the beginning is really slow compared to P5, but everything is still solidly competent. I just wouldn't play it unless it's Golden.
That's the issue, though; I don't have a Vita, so the original PS2 release is the only viable option for me. I don't want to spend $200 just to play one game. I have the same issue with Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers; it's exclusive to the 3DS, which I also don't have.

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's a spoiler thread but it hasn't been used in ages; you can probably just spoiler tag some of your stuff and it'll be fine.

Okay then. Some of these aren't really questions. A few are just some observations, or things that I found odd:

• What was up with Ann's modeling associate/rival, Mika? I thought she was going to play into things later (I though maybe one the palaces was going belong to her), because she's got a portrait like the main characters and other Confidants
  • Does the lettering on Caroline and Justine's hats spell anything out or represent anything?
  • One night after going to bed (in the game, not in real life), there was message about where Joker dreams about Hifumi (the shogi girl), and I think it contributed some points to the Confidant rank-up. Is that just based on luck? I found it a little surprising.
  • How do all the Confidants relate to their respective arcana? I was curious about this early on, but I wanted to finish the game first before asking. Some of them I get, like Futaba's being the Hermit, or Sae's being Judgement. Others like Mishima's (Moon) I can sort of take a guess at, but other like Sojiro's (Hierophant) or Shinya's (Tower) don't have a really apparent correlation. I imagine if you know the Tarot really well, it makes more sense.

• What actually happened to/with Akechi? Obviously he died in Shido's cruiser, but afterwards, they just say he's gone missing. Did his body just vanish into the ether or what? I'm guessing that if you die in the cognitive world, and you present the same way the Phantom Thieves are, you don't reappear in the real world, but they don't make it real clear.
  • Vereza was the butterfly, right? It seemed that way from the flashback when fake Igor is revealed, but then you see it again after the Velvet Room disappears, and that made me question it a little. I remember first hearing about the Persona games in a Retronauts podcast, and one of the things they mentioned was that there was a recurring butterfly motif, so I had thought that maybe the butterfly was Philemon, the guy from the first game, based on what little I know about the series in total.
  • In addition, is there any significance to the opera song that plays in the Velvet Room? I've looked up clips of Persona 1, and I noticed that the song was same. Is it just kind of a tradition thing for the series?
  • Did anyone think the the final confrontation against Yaldabaoth seemed reminiscent of the whole Law & Chaos dichotomy in the mainline SMT games? I read the LPs of the SNES SMT games in the Archive, and some of the dialog in that showdown did feel akin to something you'd read when facing against God in those two games.
  • Does Morgana ever actually become human? Like is there some secret super-hard dungeon you can do in New Game Plus where Morgana get to be human, or was that just something that 's left open for the ending?

There are some other things I wanted to ask about, but this is just what I had noted or can recall off the top of my head at the moment.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you get a 3DS you can play not only Soul Hackers, but also Devil Survivor 1+2, SMT IV and SMT IV Apocalypse. At least you wouldn't be buying it for just 1 game. :v:

Oh, and Persona Q, but apparently you don't want to play that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
  • She doesn't have any extra role. I guess they figured she needed a portrait to look extra snooty or something.
  • They combine to spell OXYMORON. Make of that what you will.
  • It's just random. I'm not sure if it prioritizes Confidants that need the boost, but since it's random it's not worth relying on since you have to give up your nighttime slot to do it.
  • It's generally more Tarot-based, yeah, although some are pretty obvious. If you've played the previous two Personas it's easier to see connections, but there's generally qualities associated with the 'upright' and 'reversed' Arcanas; as an example, Emperor represents authority, confidence and a solid foundation, but reversed it can also indicate inflexiblity or rigidity. From there you can apply those traits to Yusuke and his Confidant. It's not too hard to do a write-up if you're interested.
  • It's hinted they find Akechi's body, but unrecognizable (there's a scene as you run into the ransacked Leblanc where they mention finding a washed up scarred body), but more likely they've left it open just in case they really want to bring him back in future installments/remakes.
  • Lavenza is the butterfly, yes. One nice foreshadowing is that if you rest in the bed in the Velvet Room, you can get snippets of Lavenza's plea; the plea becomes fully audible once you beat Shido's palace.
  • It's just a recurring theme. Its biggest claim to fame is probably in Persona 3 where parts of it are incorporated into the final boss fight; they also remade a version for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Dancing All Night as Margaret's themes.
  • It's similar, but not as clear cut as SMT games; Persona games tend to be more straightforward in their good/bad divides compared to SMT.
  • Like Akechi, Morgana's outcome is left to interpretation. Most likely they won't do anything about it because he's a cute mascot.

irlZaphod posted:

If you get a 3DS you can play not only Soul Hackers, but also Devil Survivor 1+2, SMT IV and SMT IV Apocalypse. At least you wouldn't be buying it for just 1 game. :v:

If nothing else, take a listen to Persona Q's soundtrack, the battle themes are pretty solid.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

• Lavenza is the butterfly, yes. One nice foreshadowing is that if you rest in the bed in the Velvet Room, you can get snippets of Lavenza's plea; the plea becomes fully audible once you beat Shido's palace.

Huh. I remember actually finding that you could do that early on, but I wasn't able to get it to repeat so I just stopped thinking about it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

You should take it as a hint when the other characters are like "Hmmmm maybe we should go into the Metaverse today???"

Also what training were you doing before the first dungeon? Social links & social stats?

Eh I don't know I should have focused on one thing but I kinda just did a little bit of everything which in hindsight was not a good idea.

I am at the final boss now for the first dungeon.

Should I just attack with Ryuji and Main character? I only use the other two for healing and spam block from the start so I don't have to heal 3 characters in 1 turn.

I don't have the spell that debuff's enemy attack or defense. I only have the spells that buff my attack or buff defense which only works for one person but if you debuff enemy it benefits whole team. What persona gives those spells?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/950769579445415936

Here's a thing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Isn't there also a remake or update of Strange Journey that's coming out soon? Is that for 3DS too or another console?

Also, what was wrong with Persona Q? If you're referring to the thing I said about not wanting to play Persona 4, don't take that too seriously; I would still like it play it and look into the spinoff stuff.

ApplesandOranges posted:

• They combine to spell OXYMORON. Make of that what you will.
That's odd :confused:

Hunt11 posted:

Huh. I remember actually finding that you could do that early on, but I wasn't able to get it to repeat so I just stopped thinking about it.
I found that message too, but I think I forgot about it as well.

ApplesandOranges posted:

[list]
  • It's generally more Tarot-based, yeah, although some are pretty obvious. If you've played the previous two Personas it's easier to see connections, but there's generally qualities associated with the 'upright' and 'reversed' Arcanas; as an example, Emperor represents authority, confidence and a solid foundation, but reversed it can also indicate inflexiblity or rigidity. From there you can apply those traits to Yusuke and his Confidant. It's not too hard to do a write-up if you're interested.

• If it's not too much trouble, that would be an interesting read.

Pablo Nergigante
    Apr 16, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

Isn't there also a remake or update of Strange Journey that's coming out soon? Is that for 3DS too or another console?

Yeah Strange Journey Redux for 3DS is coming out sometime soon

Chilled Milk
    Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
    satellites in every home

Max Wilco posted:

If it's not too much trouble, that would be an interesting read.

I wanna say some already wrote a good one up in the spoiler thread but good luck digging it out

christmas boots
    Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
    To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
    With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
    🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
    Biscuit Hider
    They did. I skimmed through this entire thread over the past month or so. Hell if I remember where it was

Tae
    Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
    A 2ds cost like 60 bucks last time I checked.

irlZaphod
    Mar 26, 2004

Ulio posted:

Eh I don't know I should have focused on one thing but I kinda just did a little bit of everything which in hindsight was not a good idea.

I am at the final boss now for the first dungeon.

Should I just attack with Ryuji and Main character? I only use the other two for healing and spam block from the start so I don't have to heal 3 characters in 1 turn.

I don't have the spell that debuff's enemy attack or defense. I only have the spells that buff my attack or buff defense which only works for one person but if you debuff enemy it benefits whole team. What persona gives those spells?
    I would attack with Ann, Ryuji and Joker. Use Morgana for healing if needed, and Ann as a backup there. When you have to send a character to steal his crown, pick Ryuji. When he charges up his Gold Medal Spike attack, have everyone Guard on the next turn.

You can get a Tarunda skill card from talking to a Slime (do a Hold Up, select talk and ask for an item). Also Carmen learns it at Level 11.

e: Oh you can't get/use skill cards yet actually. So you'll have to level up Ann/Carmen.

Max Wilco posted:

Also, what was wrong with Persona Q? If you're referring to the thing I said about not wanting to play Persona 4, don't take that too seriously; I would still like it play it and look into the spinoff stuff.
    Yeah Strange Journey Redux is out this year, I forgot about that.

I haven't played Persona Q, but impressions here are that it's neither a good Persona game or a good Etrian Odyssey game.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 10, 2018

AlphaKeny1
    Feb 17, 2006

There really isn't anything good about Persona Q, you won't miss out on much if you skip it.

Item Getter
    Dec 14, 2015
    Other than music but that's what YouTube is for

CJ
    Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ApplesandOranges posted:

What's wrong with the original? It has the good Chie voice.

Josuke Higashikata
    Mar 7, 2013

There is no good Chie voice, but the original is less grating so it's probably better.

Pablo Nergigante
    Apr 16, 2002

I never played the original but being able to choose which skills pass on through fusion is a big improvement

Ulio
    Feb 17, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

You can get a Tarunda skill card from talking to a Slime (do a Hold Up, select talk and ask for an item). Also Carmen learns it at Level 11.

e: Oh you can't get/use skill cards yet actually. So you'll have to level up Ann/Carmen.

Is that the mini boss slime? I don't remember seeing other slimes.

CJ
    Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Pablo Gigante posted:

I never played the original but being able to choose which skills pass on through fusion is a big improvement

Yeah there's some improvements like that and adding more bonuses to the S.links for party members, but nothing that makes the PS2 version unplayable.

PJOmega
    May 5, 2009
    I didn't even realize that the "send a party member to mess with a boss's gimmick" could be interrupted. I only played on Normal for what it is worth.

Expect My Mom
    Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
    another key visual for the Persona 5 anime next season.

I constantly forget this is a thing that's even happening

VoLaTiLe
    Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Expect My Mom posted:

another key visual for the Persona 5 anime next season.

I constantly forget this is a thing that's even happening

Wait is it a series or one off movie they are making?

Which ever it is I'm hyped for it

Expect My Mom
    Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
    TV anime like Persona 4
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vb9yv

(I have no idea why Dailymotion was the only place I could find a trailer for this)

Shinjobi
    Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
    Plugging along through the game, just now getting to the desert tomb, and let me just say that Yusuke is a goddamn delight in this game.

ThomasPaine
    Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
    Yusuke is somehow a Japanese weeb

you bring shame on your yukata

Shinjobi
    Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ThomasPaine posted:

Yusuke is somehow a Japanese weeb

you bring shame on your yukata

So good.:allears:

Ulio
    Feb 17, 2011

Does only 1 person has to attack Kamoshida to stop him from noticing your ally stealing the treasure? When I only attack with one he still notices the person trying to steal the treasure.

Baku
    Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ulio posted:

Does only 1 person has to attack Kamoshida to stop him from noticing your ally stealing the treasure? When I only attack with one he still notices the person trying to steal the treasure.

Are you sending Ann? He pays "special" attention to her. Maybe try someone he isn't hard for.

Ulio
    Feb 17, 2011

No I sent Morgana and tried Ryuji. I did manage once to get Morgana up to the balcony but died cause that was the 2nd time I had to send her that fight.

S.D.
    Apr 28, 2008
    I think he only notices if you don't do enough damage - try unloading everything you've got after you send someone.

Ulio
    Feb 17, 2011

S.D. posted:

I think he only notices if you don't do enough damage - try unloading everything you've got after you send someone.

Ya on hard its really difficult to do enough dmg and I was underleveled. So I went back and farmed 1 lvl on everyone. Was enough with lots of lucky rng.

E: will switch the difficulty because it seems hard was made for basically a 2nd run when you know everything before hand.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 13, 2018

Xad
    Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ulio posted:

Ya on hard its really difficult to do enough dmg and I was underleveled. So I went back and farmed 1 lvl on everyone. Was enough with lots of lucky rng.

E: will switch the difficulty because it seems hard was made for basically a 2nd run when you know everything before hand.

Yeah I figured this out when most encounters in the first dungeon kill your entire party if you don't kill them first, hard mode is almost definitely not supposed to be done on a first run. I barely got past the dungeon 1 miniboss before switching to normal.

Xad fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
    Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ulio posted:

Hard gets easier over time; if you're still having trouble, try switching to Normal til the third dungeon; the first two dungeons (and the fifth) are the real roadblocks and everything else is tough but manageable.