Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Again, I hope Gatiss goes away for good. He's insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Again, I hope Gatiss goes away for good. He's insufferable.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Now Sam Kisgart, on the other hand...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I like Gatiss a lot but I'm looking forward to a complete change of writing team, even if I'm not a huge Chibnall fan. Has there been a list of confirmed writers for the next series anywhere yet?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PriorMarcus posted:

We've already seen the Doctor dread his final regeneration, knowing that he will die next time, and that's Ten's.

Five's :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Appreciate the attempt but that would have been Four and he seemed very accepting of it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

Appreciate the attempt but that would have been Four and he seemed very accepting of it.

Oh right, yes, misread.

Well we had all that business with the Watcher

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's pretty perfectly 4 too.

"Who the gently caress is that rear end in a top hat up there watching me with sinister intent?"
Goes up and has a chat
"It's cool it's just the chrysalis form of my next life waiting for me to die :)"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just remembered that a big chunk of the universe got destroyed in 'Logopolis', but everyone was pretty chill with it (even Nyssa as her home and everyone she ever knew was wiped from existence), so whevs, I guess.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Between that and having to regularly meet her father’s reanimated corpse, Nyssa was very tough.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

That's pretty perfectly 4 too.

"Who the gently caress is that rear end in a top hat up there watching me with sinister intent?"
Goes up and has a chat
"It's cool it's just the chrysalis form of my next life waiting for me to die :)"

Now look here, Master, I've been waiting to die all day, de-collapsing the Universe and climbing all over the towers, and not once, not even once has anybody even offered me a chair!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I grabbed Shada on blu-ray, and am now wondering what the consensus was on the animated The Power Of The Daleks?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was lovely.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

I grabbed Shada on blu-ray, and am now wondering what the consensus was on the animated The Power Of The Daleks?

Fantastic, all time great serial that is untouchable and truly remarkable

Sadly this is the best it's ever going to get! (I try to be kind to the animation team, they were literally given half a year and no budget to pull that whole thing together, even though it's still sub Archer level animation)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a line in it very early where Ben says "Right who are we then?" and Two snaps back with "Don't you know?" and it just hits that perfect Troughtan note.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like the animation style. It suits 2 , somehow, and it suits Daleks . There are a couple scenes where the animation execution is total garbage, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Incidentally, I got the steelbook version of Shada because it has a third disc featuring the old VHS version and the Big Finish version of the story, but it hurts me because it's now the only classic story I have that doesn't match the covers of the others.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Now look here, Master

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Stabbatical posted:

Hey, there's a new review of the Christmas special out by the guy who did that Sherlock/Moffat retrospective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtPZ96oHH-4

I agree with the broad strokes but not some of the details, like Rusty the Dalek being a metaphor for RTD and his showrunning rather than just a reference to his name (it seems too uncharitable to Moffat) and being too harsh on The Christmas Invasion, and it spends a bit too long making a gag of Cyberwoman at the end.

:agreed:

I feel like he didn't give this seasons political bent enough credit, and it's odd that he didn't talk about the sexism at all.

And he forgot totally about the paternoster gang and river song when trying to remember Moffat characters.

But the thing about this episode having no stakes was something I had noticed but not really articulated. And yeah, contrasting it to end of time made things worse.
It's not like they could not do that this episode. Explain what Testimony is supposed to be early, but there's something wrong with it, and then that's what the doctor had to figure out and why he uses the dalek database and all that. Like, there all sorts of potential things that could go wrong with time travelling abducting robots. You don't NEED a villain, just an error.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There was an error. And there were stakes. Please don't tell me the guy in the video was mad because there wasn't an evil villain threatening the universe in the episode

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cerv posted:

Also that’s 3 in a row of I don’t want to regenerate then the TARDIS blows up. Change the tune please.

Technically, when Smith actually regenerated it was a bit more of a hiccup followed by him not knowing how to work the TARDIS. Though he did have his Dalek-destroying episode prior to that. And the First Doctor's regeneration was fairly quiet. As far as I can tell, one of the driving factors is the new showrunner wanting a new TARDIS set and blowing it up forcing the powers that be to provide the funding for it.

Payndz posted:

I just remembered that a big chunk of the universe got destroyed in 'Logopolis', but everyone was pretty chill with it (even Nyssa as her home and everyone she ever knew was wiped from existence), so whevs, I guess.

You can't expect Nyssa to get as upset about that as about, say, Adric's death. After all, nobody who died on Traken was a series regular!

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

What are the thoughts on Jodie's costume now some new pics are out?

Thumbs up from me I think - it's got a vibe of six and five in a way, it's going to look great on a comic page and on an action figure!

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

2house2fly posted:

There was an error. And there were stakes. Please don't tell me the guy in the video was mad because there wasn't an evil villain threatening the universe in the episode

What actually was the error? Was it supposed to be that both Doctors met when they didn't before? Or was it that One didn't want to regenerate and this messes up the universe? Or was the stake meant to be Twelve accepting or not accepting another life?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I feel like he didn't give this seasons political bent enough credit, and it's odd that he didn't talk about the sexism at all.

And he forgot totally about the paternoster gang and river song when trying to remember Moffat characters.

But the thing about this episode having no stakes was something I had noticed but not really articulated. And yeah, contrasting it to end of time made things worse.
It's not like they could not do that this episode. Explain what Testimony is supposed to be early, but there's something wrong with it, and then that's what the doctor had to figure out and why he uses the dalek database and all that. Like, there all sorts of potential things that could go wrong with time travelling abducting robots. You don't NEED a villain, just an error.

To be fair, I think it is just meant to be about the Xmas special and not the last series as a whole (even though it's meant to be a comment on Moffat's run as a whole which makes things kind of confused, now that I think about it). But true, I thought last season was really good and it deserved more of a mention than just what was poorly executed in Capaldi's first series.

I guess the Gang count but they kind of outstayed their welcome for me by Deep Breath. I think it was the bit where Vastra started speech #94 about how important The Doctor is and also, as I remember it, the weird excuse they gave for Jenny and Vastra's kiss (the line was something like "I can store air in my lungs") instead of just going whole hog having them have a romantic moment in the face of certain death. Maybe I'm horribly misremembering that scene. I definitely never enjoyed them as much as RTD's crew. Strax was always fun but he's a one-note gag and little else. But those are the only other characters I can really think of to bring back. Except Danny maybe, I liked him. He could've even been thematically appropriate considering the whole ex-soldier thing and being in WW1's truce.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Doctor trying to die twice in one lifetime caused a "timeline error" which plopped the Captain out into their proximity when he was being taken to die. In the end they saved him, so things were still better for the Doctor being involved.

Stabbatical posted:

weird excuse they gave for Jenny and Vastra's kiss (the line was something like "I can store air in my lungs") instead of just going whole hog having them have a romantic moment in the face of certain death.
I can only imagine the voiceover about storing oxygen in her lungs was a late addition to get a lesbian kiss past the censors or something. It's bizarre.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stabbatical posted:

What actually was the error?

When the Testimony was done with the soldier they picked up at the end of his life to scan, he was supposed to be sent back to the moment of his death but ended up in the South Pole in 1986 instead, because the presence of the two Doctors there caused a road-bump in the time stream.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

trouser_mouse posted:

What are the thoughts on Jodie's costume now some new pics are out?

Thumbs up from me I think - it's got a vibe of six and five in a way, it's going to look great on a comic page and on an action figure!

I don't like the high-waisted capris.

Other than that it looks good.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking the reason I am loving watching Doctor Who after finally first watching a few random episodes with my brother years ago and starting from the revival this year is probably due to loving stuff like Buffy and Angel. I see repeated the revival took a lot of cues from Buffy which I can easily see, and I always loved that type of archtype. I mean heck, I enjoyed the awful Smallville back when it was airing, even through I stopped watching that after a few seasons.

Bad effects and poor CGI is just a staple of these types of shows and I just love it. If the new season isn't up by the time I am done with the Revival, would it be bad to try watching the original serials? I doubt that I could watch them all, especially with the sheer number of lost episodes, but at least the good ones. I almost grabbed at the library today a few dvds of the older episodes but figured they wouldn't get watched at this time while still watching the revival.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There are tons of fantastic older series episodes worth watching, though I would advise against binging them. They're a product of another time, and stories take 4-7 30 minute episodes to resolve with frequent padding. Watch one episode of each story per day over the course of a week to avoid comparative burnout, IMHO.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DoctorWhat posted:

There are tons of fantastic older series episodes worth watching, though I would advise against binging them. They're a product of another time, and stories take 4-7 30 minute episodes to resolve with frequent padding. Watch one episode of each story per day over the course of a week to avoid comparative burnout, IMHO.

Yeah I noticed that part in the OP. Still a while before if I do that, as I just finished season 2 off of the Revival.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TinTower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiKrZdJXQ14

Dude who can change his face travelling in time and space: good!
Dude who can change his face travelling in time and space becoming a woman: not good!
This is heartbreaking. This is a person who abhors my existence and thinks women can't be doctors (much less The Doctor) who also gets slightly more views than me, and my show takes a month to write and shoot and edit and this is just raw hate into a webcam.

This man is to be pitied. He is so terribly angry that he isn't what society has told him he needs to be, and he needs a victim to point at to deflect, and that victim is women.

And honestly, I go back and forth on this stuff, because while I do believe that's the reaction we should have to these people, it also might be too nice. Everybody who's done something bad had a reason. We don't forgive all of them because of the circumstances, but, I mean, c'mon. Doctor Who thread. What's the use of two hearts if you can't be forgiving (and understanding?) But just... come on.

I don't know what to do with this fella', but I do know that patriarchy is a real fucker. Even to men. And it leads people into extremely wrongheaded gobshite. And I don't know whether to be angry or empathetic, but I do know I'm sad.

I mean, can you imagine being so insecure about your place in the world that a woman being a doctor is threatening to you? That sounds like hell on Earth.

Also, hi, Hbomb. We know you're a goon, and I suspect you're here some late night in the future to see what this thread thought of your video, and though I loved the special for very personal reasons, I also thought your video was quite good, and agreed with all of your points. And as an internet friend of Shannon's, I can't wait to see you two collaborate again.

The bit about Moffat writing three different libraries of dead people was particularly astute. I super didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

Now I kind of wish this episode took place in The Library.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LividLiquid posted:

The bit about Moffat writing three different libraries of dead people was particularly astute. I super didn't notice that until you pointed it out.
Moffat loves libraries. His first official Doctor Who thing (to my knowledge) was a Seventh Doctor short story set in a library.

The 4th Moffat idea is clearly achronal timey-wimey shenanigans.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 9, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rirse posted:

Thinking the reason I am loving watching Doctor Who after finally first watching a few random episodes with my brother years ago and starting from the revival this year is probably due to loving stuff like Buffy and Angel. I see repeated the revival took a lot of cues from Buffy which I can easily see, and I always loved that type of archtype. I mean heck, I enjoyed the awful Smallville back when it was airing, even through I stopped watching that after a few seasons.

Bad effects and poor CGI is just a staple of these types of shows and I just love it. If the new season isn't up by the time I am done with the Revival, would it be bad to try watching the original serials? I doubt that I could watch them all, especially with the sheer number of lost episodes, but at least the good ones. I almost grabbed at the library today a few dvds of the older episodes but figured they wouldn't get watched at this time while still watching the revival.

There are some great old stories, particularly with TOM BAKER. But it you like bad effects and cgi then boy there are such wonders to see. Peter Davison may be lame but my God he acted with such beautifully poo poo cgi

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If it makes you feel any better, LividLiquid, here's a post that summarizes this phenomenon from the comic book movie megathread:

Halloween Jack posted:

...the problem is that the analysis is illiterate and superficial.

We now have this geek culture where as soon as a 30-second teaser drops, a bunch of lovely YouTube channels make a hour-long video about it. The series of trailers is met with even more disproportionately long and chatty videos. Whatever rumours leak out of the studio, whatever news comes out at ComiCon gets endlessly discussed. Then the movie comes out. Then there are endless reviews, culminating in negative reviews that are three-quarters the length of the movie itself.

It's now ordinary for a popular show to have a follow-up show that's just another hour of people talking about it.

For some people these blockbusters can never live up to expectations because they are [extremely Zizek voice] an unattainable ideal that they can never fully engage with. It also seems to me that for some other people, the movie itself is an obscenity to be dispensed with as quickly and cleanly as possible. The movie gets dissected, each part sealed in a plastic bag labeled with the correct TVTrope. This is compatible with reading fiction in terms of its imaginary physical characteristics--like, what is Iron Man's armor made of, how does its power source work, and what happens when his lasers hit Captain America's shield. It's not compatible with literacy and the ability to read meaning.

Just replace a few words, and voila!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Moffat's reused a bunch of ideas and concepts over the years. At least some of it is in service to thematic connections and callbacks and such, but also there are just some ideas I guess he likes enough to keep going back to them in some form. This last episode was also the third one to feature people being zapped out of time at the very end of their timestream since he took over (and Missy was doing something not too far removed in series 8) and the umpteenth to either not have a villain or the villain is benign but malfunctioning technology. He also couldn't resist one last impressive/intimidating montage of the Doctor as a badass warrior, or a last jump back in time to see or retroactively cause something from the old show. I think there was barely any timey-wimey stuff in the Capaldi years; I guess he got that pretty much out of his system by the end of the Smith era

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's like how Dark Souls has a dead, impotent king and a dessicating world in each game.

Speaking of Dark Souls... Heaven Sent.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

If it makes you feel any better, LividLiquid, here's a post that summarizes this phenomenon from the comic book movie megathread:

Pretty much, yeah.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hahaha, the loving Kandyman is going to be in the Doom Coalition followup.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

that's loving amazing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Speaking of Dark Souls... Heaven Sent.

:hfive:

I felt like such a nerd for making that comparison in my write-up, but then I remembered I was writing about Doctor Who online and the nerd train had departed a looooooooong time ago.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Hahaha, the loving Kandyman is going to be in the Doom Coalition followup.

Oh my God I love you, Big Finish

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Edward Mass posted:

I love, Red Letter Media, but let's be real. Mr. Plinkett made this.

• Locked thread