Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

Respect is earned, not given.

Sorry, but I don't see how a reasonable adult needs to earn the respect of a 13 year old that thinks he's a preacher.

My point was his parents need to teach him when to shut it and let something go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So it appears that recently a ton of the comedians in cars getting coffee just got put out on Netflix. I’ve watched a few before and found them good but never followed it.

Just slamming through the first four. These are great.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
"Hey kid, I'll let you in on a little secret: there's no god and no heaven or hell. When you die that's it and you rot in a hole in the ground."

Or i guess ask him where acting like a condescending little rear end in a top hat gets you.

And yeah I've been watching a shitload of cars and coffee the last few days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So it appears that recently a ton of the comedians in cars getting coffee just got put out on Netflix. I’ve watched a few before and found them good but never followed it.

Just slamming through the first four. These are great.

Oh cool, the Louis CK episode was hilarious gotta watch that one again.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This is sad, but isn't fatal stangs redundant?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Friend-money chat. I'm that friend at the moment. :sigh: A friend of mine loaned me $300 a year and a half ago. I spaced out on it until he reminded me recently. Haven't avoided him or anything though. Unfortunately most of my money for January is spoken for (between dropping $825 to get my car road legal for 2018 and buying a new phone :doh:, plus I have rent coming up), but he's getting at least some of it next week, and the rest of it from my first Feb paycheck.

I feel like a dick being that guy who spaces out on financial obligations. :sigh:

jamal posted:

Half the screen on my 2014 X stopped working, so I took it apart to see if I could wiggle the connections or something and get it to work. No dice. Then I heard about people replacing the screen and not having that fix it, so I didn't want to spend $100 to do that, especially after replacing the screen on my 1st gen moto x and having the phone not work afterward (I think because the parts I got were for a GSM phone and I needed verizon).

So anyhow, I have a G5 now and it's pretty good. It's the S plus version with 32gb, has a micro-SD slot and is "water resistant." But I still keep it in a plastic phone carrying thing when I'm riding a bike and sweating on it. The lack of NFC is about the only thing that annoys me and the fingerprint reader is really nice. Oh, and they put the power button below the volume buttons so I lock the phone instead of taking a picture pretty often. I'd say I like it more than the previous moto x though.

Want a 2014 X with some screen burn and a toasted battery? (swap your battery over... or swap the display, whatever, just cobble together one working phone and sell it) :v:

I was reading up on the E4 I was thinking of replacing it with, but the Snapdragon 425 apparently doesn't hold a candle to the 801 in the 2014 X. The X is still reasonably quick, but if I'm running both GrubHub and Uber's driver apps, it falls on its knees (most of that is the Uber driver app). I'm giving the G4 and G5 a serious look instead.

Also, the 2014 X had the same water resistance as the current Moto lineup, AFAIK. Mine's been used in the rain plenty, and never even flinched (though I've had it in a heavy Evocel case since the day I got it). One of the best phones I've owned, and I've owned it longer than any other phone. The only problem with it (aside from the battery) is the USB port is pretty worn out; have to keep the cable at a certain angle to charge it. Between that and the screen burn, and how much of a pain it is to get to the battery, I'm just opting to replace the phone. I'll probably sell it for parts on swappa (which I'm also doing with my Nexus 6P).

rdb posted:

I am in the US and most of the positions I have been considering ask those questions on the application. Or they do something like ask what you expect to make etc. I think there is a service they can check as well to see what you were making if paid through adp and the likes.

Yup, The Work Number is one of the bigger ones (run by Equifax). Most of what they have on me is incorrect; the longest job I held has me listed as "involuntary termination" when I voluntarily quit, shows the wrong pay, shows the wrong ending date, the wrong starting date (by almost a decade), and of course, disputing it just comes back with "we've verified that the disputed information is correct".

What's particularly annoying is they have some jobs on there that I only worked short term before deciding it wasn't a good fit, and two seasonal jobs are also on there. Those are jobs I don't list on my resume, but I wind up getting asked about them when my background check comes back. "Why did you feel they weren't a good fit?" "Why did you leave after the holidays were over? Why didn't they offer you a permanent position?" (BECAUSE IT'S A loving SEASONAL JOB... it was loving extra money for the holidays on top of my regular job, damnit)

DICK DICER posted:

Bullshit probes for hating fun suck a whole big old

Rhyno posted:

SA should have a system where goons can eat a probie for other goons.

You really want to eat Special Agent Timothy McGee? :smith:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Sorry, but I don't see how a reasonable adult needs to earn the respect of a 13 year old that thinks he's a preacher.

My point was his parents need to teach him when to shut it and let something go.

I had a huge rant but on reading it again, it came down to...

"Who cares?"

Be an adult and let it slide. At worst, give them a filthy look and move on. If thats the worst the little poo poo says then whatever.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Friend-money chat. I'm that friend at the moment. :sigh: A friend of mine loaned me $300 a year and a half ago. I spaced out on it until he reminded me recently. Haven't avoided him or anything though. Unfortunately most of my money for January is spoken for (between dropping $825 to get my car road legal for 2018 and buying a new phone :doh:, plus I have rent coming up), but he's getting at least some of it next week, and the rest of it from my first Feb paycheck.

I feel like a dick being that guy who spaces out on financial obligations. :sigh:

The key difference between you and the other people is that you are not an rear end in a top hat.

That's a very important difference.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spotted while pulling into a parking lot earlier...

:ohdear:

Figured I'd celebrate all the 6's, grabbed this on the way home. (had a drat good day at work anyway)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fucks sake...

Our apparently "Smartest" cat was pissfarting around in the shed this afternoon and somehow knocked over a 300x90x1000mm piece of hardwood gluelam beam over onto her foot. Shes already been to the vets tonight just before closing to get painkillers and anti inflams, and i've gotta take her back tomorrow for an Xray... Cant see this exercise being cheap.

Tho I have managed to FINALLY after 3 years finish off the front of our place. The useless land developer hasnt actually finished the streetscaping yet, and im sick of rocks weeds and mud, so we've dug the whole area out, put in nice clean loam, planted a couple of trees and now we're waiting for our turf to be delivered later in the week.

At least it only got up to about 25 today so it wasnt too hot to work. Meant to be 35-38 on Thursday!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
We finally had a cooler day today, after the most EPIC thunder storm last night. I was woken up time after time by thunder, every time I looked out the window there were multiple flashes. I’ve seen a few storms but none quite that prolific and sustained.

Hope your cat is ok :3:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Your landscaping looks loving awesome, Ferremit.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Awww yisss, lookit these body mounts:

Ignore the two different colours, first tube of hardener was white, second tube was orange.

Almost two inches of space between the plates that rest on top of the body mount bushings (represented by the boards that are as thick as a bushing + washer).

Today I use yet another can of fiberglass filler to finish them and then lay some fiberglass over to lock it all together.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Coasterphreak posted:

Your landscaping looks loving awesome, Ferremit.

We’re the only house in our entire estate not to have a front lawn (cos opposite us is a green space with a lawn 20x40m on it)

Hilariously I’ve actually INCREASED my bushfire risk by planting a full native garden :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Serious question, is electricity that expensive that installing solar panels on every house is worthwhile? I'm not very educated on it, but from what I gather, electricity where I'm at is cheap enough that it's generally not worthwhile unless you plan to stay in the house for at least 10 years.

I know General_Failure is in an area with insanely high rates, but I wasn't sure if that applied to all of Australia.

Guessing metal roofs are common too, right? To me that makes a lot more sense than asphalt shingles, but it would definitely be louder when it's raining (oh no, we don't want to hear the rain! :ohdear:). Whenever I finally buy a home, whenever the roof needs redoing, so long as I'm not in a loving HOA area, it'll definitely be metal. I love the sound of rain, and I also love not replacing the entire roof every time a hail storm comes through.

When I was growing up, we did solar panels here, but to supplement the hot water heating, not for electricity (but I was born in the late 70s, grew up in the 80s/early 90s, so....). I remember my uncle had it on his house, but that house was old enough that the Ademco "burglar alarm" was operated by a cylindrical tumbler lock by each door (probably built between 80-82). I remember him bitching about not having much hot water in the winter; I was young enough not to know the details (aside from my inner alarm system :spergin:), but I would think there would have been some kind of bypass valve to remove the solar panels from the water circuit in the winter...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 9, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Roofs in australia are either metal, or clay/cement tiles. Both have their pros and cons. Metal heats up quick but cools down quick. Tile heats up slow but retains it. Same kind of arguments you have with walls, either double brick (heats up slower but retains it) or fibre boards (doesn't heat up a thermal mass but lest a lot of heat through during the day).
Tile roofs and brick walls are a heat battery/bank and they suck if you get 4 extremely hot days in a row, but shrug off 1-2 hot days. Tin roofs are cooler at night but hotter during the day - but these days tin roofs are better for heat and noise because people put sarking (fibreglass and foil) under the sheets as well as ceiling insulation. Without sarking, inside a tin roof it's easily 60C+, while a tile roof is usually 50C+. I dreaded doing HVAC on a hot day if the house had a tin roof and I had to go into the ceiling space as tin roofs didn't have sarking usually in WA.

Electricity costs here is 26c /Kw/hr in WA so about average $150/month for 2-3 people (E: inc supply charge). But solar panels are really popular because there used to be rebates and you used to be able to sell back to the grid @ ~30c kw/hr so they paid for themselves eventually. I believe they don't offer such high resale rates or rebates any more. In wa they only buy back your excess production for 7c kw/hr

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 9, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Here in SA, We're paying 40c per kWh and a 90c per day supply charge, and were currently getting 16.3c per kWh feed in rate on the solar. For us, we were using around 33kWh a day, and the solar PV system on the roof is pushing around 50-70kWh per day, so for us, its massively reduced our power bills. Before the system went on, we were getting bills of around $1200 a quarter, currently as it stands, we're about 2 months into the quarter and were sitting on around $200 so far (not including supply charge).

Yep, Steel roof. Its colorbond steel, so steel with a baked on colour coating, and theres nothing under it- Timber frames, steel purlins and foil sarking. We just dont have to deal with the loading from snow here in Aus, The alpine areas do get snow, but steep roof pitch and the colorbond seems to keep it slid off pretty well. And generally we put them on once and then leave em there for... i dunno.... 100 years? Theres houses in Aus with galvanised roofs from turn of last century and they're still weathertight. The idea of replacing your roof every 10 years seems insane to us. And you certainly hear the rain, but thats the norm.

Our place is timber framed hardiplank clad, so its not quite as thermally bunkered as a brick building (99% of modern brick construction here in Aus is Brick Veneer anyway- so one layer of brick, timber frame, sheetrock internal walls) so it does get a bit hotter during the day on really hot days, but it also sheds heat insanely well once it cools off- if we get a cool change in the evening here on a 40 degree day, we can open the whole house up and in less than 10 mins it can drop 10-15 degrees internal temp. Tho with the solar on we tend to lean on the AC a bit more during those days.

Some of the older houses like my parents are cavity double brick- so brick walls on both internal and external and then an air cavity between em. They're absolute thermal monsters, but its a double edges sword. My parents place will shrug off a 45 degree day and as long as you arent doing something like cooking inside, it will stay around 22 degrees inside no worries. Problem is when you get a week of 35+ degree days, then it heat soaks like a motherfucker and takes about 2 days of cooler weather with all the windows wide open to shed that heat again

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"Brick" houses in the US have been timber with a brick veneer for far longer than I've been alive. The building I live in now is plastic siding on a timber frame (with a brick veneer for the fireplace chimneys), but to be honest, I'd rather have that - I'm in tornado alley. Stick frame doesn't hold up against a tornado, but the plastic cladding means less weight falling on me if a tornado takes out my place, which means I'll probably get rescued quicker. My bathroom is in the middle of the building (all bathroom in the building meet in the same corner), so that's my go-to if Twister happens and cows (and Dodge Rams) start flying around. It's the only fully interior room in my place; everything else has at least 1 outside wall.

Your (Ferremit) power usage per day is pretty similar to mine in the summer (30-40 kwh), but I'm in a poorly insulated 1 bedroom flat on the top floor, with all windows facing north. Obviously, no solar (or satellite TV), as that would require facing south (not that they'd let me plop solar panels on the roof anyway). I'm in a deregulated electricity market (thanks, Texas?); the power comes in from the same generators no matter what, but depending which REP (retail electric provider) and plan I choose, and how much I use, I may pay anywhere from $0.04/kwh to $3.99/kwh. I'm on a weird plan where I pay around 9c/kwh between 500-999 kwh, and a little under 5c/kwh from 1000-1499 (over 1499 is 15c/kwh, under 500 is about the same - it's not tiered, the entire month is billed at one rate).

The area I grew up in (desert) had a mix of asphalt and tile roofs. People seemed averse to tile more because of the cost, but the houses definitely seemed much cooler in the summer. Tile was mostly reserved for the rich, and was generally only on studdo facade houses. I rarely see tile where I'm at, and I don't recall seeing more than a handful of metal roofs on residential buildings in the 21 years I've lived here. I haven't seen a home with brick interior walls that was built after the 1950s - the dorms I lived in during university had cinderblock walls, and they did work pretty well as insulation - but since the entire university was on a central chiller/boiler system, it meant a lot of fans if it got warm in October (no window AC units allowed), and they only allowed one specific type of space heater if it got cold when the boilers weren't running (oil filled electric radiator with a tip over protection switch - which is what I have in my bedroom now, seems to be the safest space heater to run unattended).

Fo3, my electric bill varies wildly from $50/mo to $150/mo, depending on if I break 1000 kWh. I hit 977 kWh last billing cycle, so I got hit with an extra $70. :fuckoff: That's for 1 person in a 1 bedroom apartment, about 70 m², but because of the weird structuring of my electric plan, and the fact that I pay a flat rate per month for water, I have a couple of friends that come over and do laundry regularly. One of our Aussie goons has seen the shithole I live in (which really isn't a shithole aside from having no insulation and being pretty far out in the sticks for a metro area), though he stopped posting for the most part after his US trip. :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm running about $250 a month electric wise.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You have a room full of servers, with the accompanying HVAC, and work with them for a living. I'm sitting in a (admittedly large, at ~750 sq ft) 1 bedroom apartment, on the top floor, with basically zero insulation, with the heat set at 55 (and an oil filled radiator keeping the bedroom around 65 when I sleep). Add in an ancient 1st gen i5 desktop - yeah, it's overclocked, but it's still a 1st gen i5. 24/7 loads are the PC, modem, and router (all on UPSs), plus the typical household poo poo (fridge, clock on the microwave). Maybe you could count my burglar alarm, but I don't think that draws much more than a cell phone charger unless it kicks in the siren (it normally float charges a 12V SLA battery + powers the system itself, but most hardwired systems aren't capable of powering the siren directly off of the AC feed - they feed it from the SLA battery - kinda curious now, I may throw my Kill-A-Watt on it). If I didn't get burnt on IT so early, I'm sure i'd be making a lot more than I am today. But I make a lot more than I should, given my job; I'm in a relatively rare market for this company.

If the loving assholes that designed this place didn't put my goddamn water heater outside, I could actually afford to keep it at ~70 inside during the coldest weeks, when we actually get "winter".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 9, 2018

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh cool, the Louis CK episode was hilarious gotta watch that one again.
Unless :thejoke: it looks like they didn't put that episode up, even though they reference that episode directly and even mention Louis what seems like every other episode.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Serious question, is electricity that expensive that installing solar panels on every house is worthwhile?

Coal is relatively expensive right now. Pulverized coal also sucks in regards to heat rate (thermal energy in vs electrical energy out), the sheer amount of emissions equipment required, and time between start up and generation (~15 hours).

Nat gas is super cheap, can be sent through pipelines, has an incredibly low heat rate, much less emissions equipment required, and peakers can get to full load in 15 minutes while combined cycle baseload takes about 2 hours.

Even then, solar has just recently become cheaper in terms of price per nominal output. We have a bunch of geniuses working on efficiency improvements in nanomateriald and photonics.

However, the issue is "nominal". Pure panels are peaking only and you don't control when that peaking occurs. There's some great battery and smart-inverter tech coming out to filter that, but we still absolutely need fossil or nuclear baseload to offset.

Another big issue is loads of solar and wind disrupting the balance of the grid. You wanna talk about some insane math? Grid balancing requires math I've never heard of and I'm a mechanical/electrical/computer/controls/automation engineer. The smartest people I've ever met do grid balancing. It's a pain in the dick when you know you have large, centralized, controllable power generation. A bunch of decentralized peaking power with no control is nightmare fuel. Again, the solution to this is smart-inverters and better battery storage, along with some serious mathematical modeling and automation in transmission balancing.

e: Look up "solar penetration" (heh) for more info. I want a future of primarily solar and wind generation, but there are so many technical hurdles currently. If you're interested in this future come help out and start designing awesome smart-inverters and battery tech and mathematical modeling with us :) It's legitimately a new frontier.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 9, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I... was going more for the Australian version, where it seems turning on your porch light requires signing over your first born. But your version definitely covers a lot more info, it just happens to be more US/CA centric.

I would almost kill to have gas in my apt. Gas stoves are so much easier to cook on, and gas is just much cheaper than electricity in much of the US. But apartments in DFW are almost all 100% electric, unless you get into either really old ones or housing authority apartments.

Solar and wind seem like something that would make most PoCo engineers heads explode. They're a lot more unpredictable than most other forms of energy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
If you are going to go solar, I'd highly recommend looking into heliostats, it will gain you 2-3 hours more peak than the normal 6 hours for fixed panels.

But I'm just a Nuclear proponent, so I probably have ulterior motives...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That's some nice looking solar. I told myself next place I bought was going to have a good spot for solar...I failed. Maybe the next place. Dad loves his and it's paying for itself faster than he or the installer expected.

I've started thinking about getting an electric or hybrid as a daily driver. Someone help me

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I... was going more for the Australian version, where it seems turning on your porch light requires signing over your first born. But your version definitely covers a lot more info, it just happens to be more US/CA centric.

I would almost kill to have gas in my apt. Gas stoves are so much easier to cook on, and gas is just much cheaper than electricity in much of the US. But apartments in DFW are almost all 100% electric, unless you get into either really old ones or housing authority apartments.

Solar and wind seem like something that would make most PoCo engineers heads explode. They're a lot more unpredictable than most other forms of energy.

Whoops! I know very little about Australia's grid, but their coal is something like 50% as energy dense as ours so that combined with, well, Australia means I bet solar is a godsend. Zero clue on the laws on it.

Most PoCo engineers have only seen coal and nat gas turbines is still new tech. The industry needs young smart people drastically.

Check out carbon-nanotube doped perovskite lattices for some insane tech that may make solar panel windows in skyscrapers do-able. It actually loving works, like right now, at 40% efficiency I think.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've started thinking about getting an electric or hybrid as a daily driver. Someone help me

I want an electric daily too.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

"Brick" houses in the US have been timber with a brick veneer for far longer than I've been alive.
I believe full double brick is a very Western Australia thing. Last house I lived in was brick veneer though, but only because it was poor people housing (old 60s government subsidized). If you buy your own house here it's always full double brick and usually clay roof tile (70% tile, 30% metal split).

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Fo3, my electric bill varies wildly from $50/mo to $150/mo, depending on if I break 1000 kWh. I hit 977 kWh last billing cycle, so I got hit with an extra $70. :fuckoff: That's for 1 person in a 1 bedroom apartment, about 70 m²,
I checked the last bill here, 520 kWh for 2 people in a full sized house for the 2 months before I moved in, (wa bills every two months for some strange reason). It's 940kWh total now for the two months I lived here (E: so an extra $100 over the previous 2 monthly bill). The other people I live with were insanely angry about it. I know it's probably because I ran a still a whole bunch of times plus my extra cooking oven use. Without the still I think my part of the bill would only be like $60-70 for 2 months.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 9, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

If you are going to go solar, I'd highly recommend looking into heliostats, it will gain you 2-3 hours more peak than the normal 6 hours for fixed panels.

But I'm just a Nuclear proponent, so I probably have ulterior motives...

Heliostats own, especially two-dimensional. If you're only getting one, go with right-ascension.

Nuclear also owns, from a purely technical and safety perspective :)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Nuclear is fine as long as the engineers are not dumb such as using non gravity fed control rods (Chernobyl) or putting the backup generators below sea level in a tsunami zone (Fukushima).

What I am saying is WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

Nuclear is fine as long as the engineers are not dumb such as using non gravity fed control rods (Chernobyl) or putting the backup generators below sea level in a tsunami zone (Fukushima).

What I am saying is WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE!

The fun part about the RBMK accident at Chernobyl is it STILL took more than 10 concious and bad decisions to cause the meltdown. Its generally not the reactors (even with positive void coefficient issues like Chernobyl) that are the weak part of the safety protocol, its the humans.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

It's the perfect application for them. I still say theres no real cost saving overall unless you fit very specific metrics, but the "user experience" side of things is great for an it-just-works daily driver.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

So my younger brother informed me that he's been vomiting blood for two months. He doesn't have health insurance. He's finally seeing a doctor tomorrow. Everybody seems to think it's stomach ulcers, but I'm assuming they're going to want to do an upper endoscopy to get a look in there and I'm afraid at $800 he's going to bail.

A follow up to this, he skipped the doctor and went straight to the hospital because he was up all night violently throwing up blood and he's in a lot of pain.

:(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some_admin posted:

Bad:
Some guy intruded my house last Friday night. He knocked on the front door at 8 pm and I answered. He asked us this the Bradley residence? I said no he said oops sorry and left. Had a weird vibe so I watched him walk down the block. Ok fine. Five minutes later my back door opens and I meet him almost in the kitchen.
I shouted GTFO and he bailed out the back door. It’s been a long time since I felt that much adrenaline.
Called the law but of course he’s long gone. I think I will buy a couple of those little baseball bats. (And lock the doors/gates 24/7 now)

WTF?
Like, the world's most confused thief? He made sure that you were home before trying to break in?

I maaaaaaaaaay have stayed up way too late last night this morning playing Forza Horizon 3, but I finally got to barn finds, and my first one was a Ferrari Dino. Second was a Nissan GTR V-spec. Third was a freaking Lambo LM002, the most insane SUV ever built, and the fourth was... The Last V8. A fuel-injected suicide machine. I'm stoked.
Need to go pick those barn finds up from the shop and add them to my garage, so I can drive them! Of all the stupid things, I'm having pretty good success driving a mildly modified BMW X5M. My 1000 HP '69 Olds 442 is fun, but it has... traction issues. Guess I should take the weight penalty and install AWD.
Also won a BMW M1 and an Escort RS Horizon edition on the roulette wheel.

On the minus side, I'm dragging rear end at work today...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Darchangel posted:

WTF?
Like, the world's most confused thief? He made sure that you were home before trying to break in?

I maaaaaaaaaay have stayed up way too late last night this morning playing Forza Horizon 3, but I finally got to barn finds, and my first one was a Ferrari Dino. Second was a Nissan GTR V-spec. Third was a freaking Lambo LM002, the most insane SUV ever built, and the fourth was... The Last V8. A fuel-injected suicide machine. I'm stoked.
Need to go pick those barn finds up from the shop and add them to my garage, so I can drive them! Of all the stupid things, I'm having pretty good success driving a mildly modified BMW X5M. My 1000 HP '69 Olds 442 is fun, but it has... traction issues. Guess I should take the weight penalty and install AWD.
Also won a BMW M1 and an Escort RS Horizon edition on the roulette wheel.

On the minus side, I'm dragging rear end at work today...

I grabbed FH3 from the library a while back and played the hell out of it when I had it. Then I actually got the game for Christmas but I haven't fired it back up yet. I know I've got a few barn finds, but I can't recall which. I need to get back in there but I've been playing Forza 7 instead :v:.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

I want an electric daily too.

InitialDave posted:

It's the perfect application for them. I still say theres no real cost saving overall unless you fit very specific metrics, but the "user experience" side of things is great for an it-just-works daily driver.

It makes a lot of sense for my ~40mi round trip commute and I can charge at work. I do make near monthly trips to Atlanta which is ~185mi so I'd need a range extender version which basically narrows it to the Chevy Volt, Prius and the BMW i3. I drove the i3 when they first came out but haven't driven or even looked at a Volt or Prius in person. I'm fairly sure work would let me rent a car for the Atlanta trips but that's another expense report and BS to deal with.

I'll probably end up just driving the TDI into the ground instead but car shopping is fun. Hard to justify something new when the thing gets 48mpg, is cheap to insure and was cheap as hell to buy. but the VW Caddy really wants that engine

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 9, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Can't go too wrong with a TDI. I'd kill for a diesel electric hybrid.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Spotted while pulling into a parking lot earlier...

:ohdear:

:kheldragar:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, here's something, does anyone make this?

A device to take in data from "normal" gauge sensors for temperature and pressure etc, then output it through a standard OBD2 connection so you can use things like the Torque app as a gauge pack in older cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

post again after 3096 more miles

• Locked thread