Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

And so long as the market is the way it is, neither do I.

Welcome to the rent forever club.

Also known as the get fed up and go live in a shack in the bush club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Jim Anderton has died :(

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

carrionman posted:

People here are dumb as poo poo with property anyway. I know of at least three people on trade wages (so say about 60-80k a year) with their partners who have built 500k + new homes and I'm like, goddammit buy something cheaper, get your dodgy mates to do some cashies doing it up then sell it to idiots who want a new looking place. But no, you live in debt the next 50 odd years...

It's 2018 not 2008. You can't build a 500k home in Auckland even if you wanted to.

e:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

Jim Anderton has died :(

Another one of the good ones :(

(Kinda, I guess. He had his faults.)

Xik posted:

It's 2018 not 2008. You can't build a 500k home in Auckland even if you wanted to.

Sure you can! Just trick yourself into believing that Pukekohe or Wellsford are in Auckland!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Pokeno! Only a short commute from the Auckland CBD!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
My boss has a new place (they finished build in 2017) in Pokeno. He travels to the CBD every day by driving to the Papakura train station and then taking the train the rest of the way to CBD.

It also did not cost less than 500k.

e: Also, when I was in school. Pukekohe was in Franklin, not Auckland. :arghfist:

Xik fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 7, 2018

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
If only they could buy out two or three Epsom properties and squeeze in a couple of 300+ unit apartment towers.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
You can quite easily spend over a million dollars building a new house in Auckland.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'd be happy with a two-bedroom (Three if I want capacity to host guests in addition to start a family) apartment close to the trains. My uncle has one in the complex bordering the Newmarket station and it's pretty sweet.

Probably costs more than my collective organs, though.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

Sure you can! Just trick yourself into believing that Pukekohe or Wellsford are in Auckland!

Hamilton is just a large suburb to Auckland right? It's only an hour commute at maximum legal motorway speed!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
rip jim

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

Ok so maybe I should amend what I said. Owning a rental property is the easiest money you can make so long as you do the very basic due diligence of checking your incomings will exceed your outgoings. I would've thought that was common sense.

i wont try to defend my actions. we were "sucked in" with this rental property investment group called quantum strategies. the theory being that you make all your money from capital gains (when you sell), not rental income, on the presumption the capital gains (and tax breaks) will far exceed what you put into the property money wise. and in different places this works well. I think we were genuinely unlucky that where we invested just fell over really. but oh well, now its a nice new house for me to move into.

i mean im pretty pissed off about the whole thing but you know lesson learned. it hasn't ended up affecting us significantly financially, apart from it was our attempt at retirement investment and so we dont have that.

life goes on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
plus lol im a diabetic i am kinda hoping i will have a heart attack before 50 so I doubt i will reach retirement age. at least I hope i dont (i want to die)

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Can I have your house?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Dibs on his portfolio.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

echinopsis posted:

i wont try to defend my actions. we were "sucked in" with this rental property investment group called quantum strategies. the theory being that you make all your money from capital gains (when you sell), not rental income, on the presumption the capital gains (and tax breaks) will far exceed what you put into the property money wise. and in different places this works well. I think we were genuinely unlucky that where we invested just fell over really. but oh well, now its a nice new house for me to move into.

Oh poo poo I think these guys did a presentation at our office in chch trying to convince people to buy into their thing.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Xik posted:

e:

True. I always forget how ridiculous it is in the cities. One benefit of my cave away from civilization I suppose

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Xik posted:

e:

I find it weird how we do these regional stats and chch just gets lumped into Canterbury. I know Wellington also includes places like the Hutt and Porirua, Kapiti etc and Auckland includes its satellite towns too, but Canterbury is a big-rear end area with a lot more distinct towns a long way from the main centre. Makes it hard to gauge how chch compares to the other "big" cities when you get stats presented like this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xiw posted:

Oh poo poo I think these guys did a presentation at our office in chch trying to convince people to buy into their thing.

yeah would have been.

I mean, the model isn't broken*, I just think we were very unlucky. they make money from being mortgage brokers and new house sale brokers. they spin poo poo like "oh I was thinking about buying this one" and yeah they are good at the sales pitch. when we first met them we were so excited at the prospect of making so much money from capital gains. but lol the market fell over. our accountant thinks they are ok people but they are definitely sales guys. we almost bought a second house with them, as in, started the process and pulled out under due diligence but that house did make some decent capital gains.
the tax breaks have been handy :grin:

*the investment model isn't broken, the economy/society that allows this to be effective is broken

Spiteski posted:

Can I have your house?

lol probably give it to my kids but big props for the effort

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

I'm the needlessly precise price for Wellington.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Didn't she get stung by that multiple times? I'm reasonably certain that someone got it more than once.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

"When interviewed on the radio by Marcus Lush on 14 September 2007, she referred to the members of ACT on Campus as "left wingers"."

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Kiwis explain why New Zealand sucks...

A newspaper editor decided to display ten written facts in a 50 second video slideshow.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

So it's basically 'Our parents are poo poo'?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/alicegalletly/status/950523396508413952

I know it's Christchurch but Christ.

Eja ku rait

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’m not surprised.

It’s Christchurch.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Xik posted:

Kiwis explain why New Zealand sucks...

A newspaper editor decided to display ten written facts in a 50 second video slideshow.
It's bad, but I don't know if it's really #11

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

"I'll have the eja ku rait"

*entire restaurant bursts into laughter at this hilarious pun*

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I wonder if they require you to request "dumprings" or if they'll accept a brick through their window instead

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You mean a blick?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was very surprised you could order gluten free.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

Well, yeah. They don't want to exclude people.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

If people are stupid enough to eat there, they're stupid enough to buy into gluten free.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

By which I meant that it wasn't gruten free.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

WarpedNaba posted:

If people are stupid enough to eat there, they're stupid enough to buy into gluten free.

While I am sure there are people who are just being difficult, there are a few conditions that are exacerbated by gluten. Obviously, coeliac disease is the main one, but hashimoto thyroidism is also made worse by gluten consumption. People often have both, but the majority of sufferers only have one.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

OK, I'll just let my best friend, who suffers from coeliac disease, that she's just being stupid, and that she should consume all the glutens she sees. When she gets violently ill and spews everywhere, it's just her being stupid and buying into Big Gluten FreeTM, right?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 9, 2018

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ironically a lot of people who require gluten free are worse off now. First of all people roll their eyes if they say they are not eating gluten. Secondly so many places offer gluten free but don’t follow correct food safety procedures and can introduce gluten as a result. Since it is trendy now it usually doesn’t make a difference, but when it does matter.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

OK, I'll just let my best friend, who suffers from coeliac disease, that she's just being stupid, and that she should consume all the glutens she sees. When she gets violently ill and spews everywhere, it's just her being stupid and buying into Big Gluten FreeTM, right?

I think he/she/xe was trying to make the point that stupid people bandwagon onto gluten free as if gluten were universally bad, not that there aren't legitimate cases where it's a potent immune activator (i.e diagnosed cases of coeliac disease and other edge cases)

These will be the kind of people that don't want "chemicals" in their food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It became apparent to me that 99% of people who say they are gluten free are full of poo poo when I went from working hospo in NZ to working hospo in London. In NZ I'd be asked about GF options several times a day, in London like maybe once a month? I knew it was a trendy thing for some people but holy poo poo

• Locked thread