Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

OwlFancier posted:

I admit Danny Devito is not the person I would immediately assume to be woke af.

The way he would say “Bernie” when he was opening rallies for him was creepy as hell, but yeah Danny DeVito is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Nice Rem cosplay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't much rate sailor moon on the left tbh.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In an effort at catharsis he's one of the resident maga chuds on my facebook feed today. He made some vapid post about how Trump is ending our dumb foreign wars and reducing the national debt, to which I said basically "lolwut? prove it"

baby's first foreign policy analysis!

quote:

Super Easy. The Middle East is an area I have investigated a lot in the past few months. Here's what's going on: Trump is supporting the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). The GCC has one of the most highly-trained special ops forces in the world...thanks to US and Israel military training and equipping. The idea is that the ME needs to deal with it's problems and the U.S. needs to stay out of conflicts. GCC is currently taking out the Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen and also fighting and defeating Iranian and Syrian troops that have been going back ad forth between Syria and Yemen. There is also mounting evidence that GCC spec ops are on the ground in Iran, covertly helping the Iranian people. THIS plan is in contrast to Obama's plan, which financially supported Iran and guaranteed nuclear capabilities down the road. THIS would end up to a war for the US and its Western allies. Trump does not want that. He is smarter than any dumb-rear end president we have had in decades and he is #WINNING in the ME.

quote:

As to the tax cut. I know you are likely in the camp that does not believe in trickle down economics. But have you been reading the news lately? Real news...not what CNN and the MSM spoon feeds everyone? Dozens of corporations have already pledged and committed to repatriating what is looking like $Trillions. Apple alone is poised to being back $200B to the US! WTF, right? What are these corporation going to do with the money? Pump that money in the US economy, create more business and...drum roll please...increase tax revenge. Why do you think Clinton was able to balance the budget and reduce debt? The Internet boom resulted in $Billions in tax revenues pumped right into the federal government. BAM! That's what's happening already! That was Trump's stated goal and within days of passing the tax legislation the nay sayers are instantly proven wrong.

I say give POTUS some time. Once we gat past the bogus Russia investigation, and jail a few crooks who have crushed our faith in government and the media, I suspect everyone will calm down and see what is really happening tight now before our eyes. This is one of the greatest times to be alive, becasue we are witnessing the return of government by the people, and the rooting out of so much corruption—I dare to say a lot of people are going to be shocked for years at what we discover has been going on.

Happy New Year...it's going to be FANTASTIC not just for America, but for the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going to add "area I have investigated a lot in the past few months" to my wordfilter that replaces it with "watched a youtube video about"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

I can't wait for Apple to simply hand over all its profits to a guy who was bankrupt 6 times.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bawfuls posted:

In an effort at catharsis he's one of the resident maga chuds on my facebook feed today. He made some vapid post about how Trump is ending our dumb foreign wars and reducing the national debt, to which I said basically "lolwut? prove it"

i love the idea that corporations would totally be willing to invest in their future growth but, they can't, because of taxes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well obviously, government is just a big hole you shovel money into for no reason.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Keeshhound posted:

And utterly deprives the parents (and especially fathers) of their role as providers for their children.

Why especially fathers?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Subjunctive posted:

Why especially fathers?

Cultural expectations. I'm not saying it should, but studies of those kinds of charities find that a lot of the time fathers of kids who are the recipients of Christmas charity gifts will often leave the house before the deliveries because seeing other people come into their house and take over what they've been taught is their role as provider for their family is just too humiliating an experience.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

bawfuls posted:

Has your friend been diagnosed as bipolar? Because I think they're in the middle of a manic phase. ("#WINNING...drum roll please...this is one of the greatest times to be alive")

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Keeshhound posted:

Cultural expectations. I'm not saying it should, but studies of those kinds of charities find that a lot of the time fathers of kids who are the recipients of Christmas charity gifts will often leave the house before the deliveries because seeing other people come into their house and take over what they've been taught is their role as provider for their family is just too humiliating an experience.

Not only that, but our society consistently bombards people with self-made man myths, the notion that "needing help" makes you weak and is implicitly feminine, and people who receive any kind of charity or government assistance have somehow failed in life. Of course they feel humiliated, that's what society has told them they should feel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Keeshhound posted:

I’ll look for some of those studies, thanks. (I can find anecdotes, but nothing more structured — so far!)

That the father leaves the house doesn’t mean it’s especially hard on the father. It could just be a difference in how different parents react to the feeling. (Maybe that’s in the studies, though.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: odd missing-post thing, hmm

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Subjunctive posted:

That the father leaves the house doesn’t mean it’s especially hard on the father. It could just be a difference in how different parents react to the feeling. (Maybe that’s in the studies, though.)

That's true; I was trying to say that the effect is more noticable with them, but I didn't phrase it well.

I was introduced to the issue by Robert D. Lupton's Toxic Charity. He's written a couple books on how charity (especially in the U.S.) tends to be focused on making people feel righteous rather than on what will help the most people.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

boner confessor posted:

i love the idea that corporations would totally be willing to invest in their future growth but, they can't, because of taxes

Reminded me of this

Not sure if the quote is legit, but, I'm pretty sure the tax rate part is accurate.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

After reading the bold, I think it's time I pull the rip cord

quote:

Anecdotes are not lies. Whether or not my comments are anecdotes is subjective. Fact is, they are still facts and they are evidence. The facts I presented are are relevant...not trivial facts to be swept under the rug.
Example: Apple's $200B repatriation is huge, regardless of your OPINION on what Apple will do with that money, taxes will still be paid on that money. THAT IS REVENUE and is in FACT an example of the new tax plan already bearing fruit. Will that fruit end up replacing the lost revenue from the old tax code? WHO gives a rat's rear end. We pay too much in taxes already. The US Government is the most inefficient and money-wasting organization in the world. Let's cut spending to make up the difference...if there is any. I suspect there will not be.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

bawfuls posted:

No, suggest first that the DoD's budget be cut, since they waste in excess of 125 billion dollars
Because that's what they meant by cutting government spending, right? :downs:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

bawfuls posted:

at that point you aren't speaking the same language, and they're arguing that words mean whatever they want to mean

:umberto: on the fascist thriving among a poverty of language and that.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Scorching hot take from the Golden Globes last night

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Wow, the lack of self-awareness necessary to say "Natalie Portman is fighting against things, and that made me call her a oval office" is baffling.

edit: every post may as well be "lovely message, but look how HOT they are!!!"

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

the_steve posted:

Reminded me of this

Not sure if the quote is legit, but, I'm pretty sure the tax rate part is accurate.
IIRC, the tax part comes with the caveat that that's the top marginal rate, and that the effective tax rate was limited to only 50%. The rest is kinda correct, but AFAIK what it really means is that "high tax rates drive tax avoidance strategies", which is a good thing as long as those avoidance strategies are building new factories rather than a Bermuda Black Hole.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

darthbob88 posted:

IIRC, the tax part comes with the caveat that that's the top marginal rate, and that the effective tax rate was limited to only 50%. The rest is kinda correct, but AFAIK what it really means is that "high tax rates drive tax avoidance strategies", which is a good thing as long as those avoidance strategies are building new factories rather than a Bermuda Black Hole.

Oh yeah, that was the point I was trying to aim for.
They had said the taxes were the reason they :airquote: can't :airquote: pay their employees better or upgrade their stuff, and here's Eisenhower saying that high taxes are exactly what should encourage them to invest in their people and business infrastructure.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's pretty obviously not an Eisenhower quote, just the meme author making an argument for Eisenhower-era tax rates.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
"That's pretty obviously not an Eisenhower quote, just the meme author making an argument for Eisenhower-era tax rates." -Albert Eisenhower

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Wayne Gretzky posted:

"That's pretty obviously not an Eisenhower quote, just the meme author making an argument for Eisenhower-era tax rates." -Albert Eisenhower

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Michael Scott posted:

"That's pretty obviously not an Eisenhower quote, just the meme author making an argument for Eisenhower-era tax rates." - Albert Eisenhower
- Wayne Gretzky

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
"What's up with all these bears?"
- a marine

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

"What's up with all these bears?"
- a marine

Flawless.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Lotta great memes in this thread (TW racism)

https://twitter.com/kwilli1046/status/941521768887541761

including

https://twitter.com/karencarsonking/status/941530965356302336

https://twitter.com/pschmidt41/status/941716656174260225

https://twitter.com/pschmidt41/status/941727003727740928

https://twitter.com/hrt6017/status/944676009491779585

https://twitter.com/NormsRespecter/status/951315133896282114

https://twitter.com/intrafffic/status/941853368351363072

https://twitter.com/RealCommander02/status/947959149631102976

also like a dozen "our flag offends them but our benefits don't", at least 2 flag raising on iwo jima gifs, and a metric ton of bacon mentions/pictures

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If Christians want to survive, it's time to abandon the teachings of Christ!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

I have fun asking people why they have so many guns and then pointing out that Jesus said 2 swords was enough for 12 guys.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Anubis posted:

I have fun asking people why they have so many guns and then pointing out that Jesus said 2 swords was enough for 12 guys.

Yeah I like that passage too. Two swords was enough because Jesus was looking to provoke the Romans into arresting him as the leader of a violent rebellion: a couple swords would make them take him seriously. Note that at Gethsemene when Peter actually used one of them, Jesus healed the wounded soldier and told Peter to quit being such an rear end in a top hat.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
They're scream the devil can quote the jeeezus book and shoot you for being the devil

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

VitalSigns posted:

So sayeth prophet Dixon Diaz...

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

all those poor people dying in sweden

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

VitalSigns posted:

Literal blasphemy. Nice.

Perhaps they should actually investigate Islam, as it has none of that inconvenient pacifism that they seem to have difficulty with.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

moist turtleneck posted:

Nothing to eat but foraged lingonberries and lutefisk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

I would love to watch a show about happy college students in Denmark/Norway/Sweeden. :allears: