Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What? At most you get a 15% deposit round these parts. Paying before receipt of an item at a store makes no sense to me.

A lot of places do that. Stops people never turning up for their stuff. I think with GW you can order it online and have it shipped to your local for free if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

What? At most you get a 15% deposit round these parts. Paying before receipt of an item at a store makes no sense to me.

They literally just use a website account on the till to order it for you.

But yes, this is standard bookstore ordering on this side of the Atlantic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Christ, you guys need WHSmiths.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

And tbh just stop there. They get pretty lovely after that.
I remember liking Beastslayer (Gotrek and Felix are stuck in Praag besieged by Chaos and the city's leader laments the woes of capitalism) and Vampireslayer (a vampire kidnaps a good friend and everyone goes after him and it has a very good death by falling chandelier).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Christ, you guys need WHSmiths.

We have them. I am in Ireland. You seem to have had your mind blown by a British business practice.

X_Toad posted:

I remember liking Beastslayer (Gotrek and Felix are stuck in Praag besieged by Chaos and the city's leader laments the woes of capitalism) and Vampireslayer (a vampire kidnaps a good friend and everyone goes after him and it has a very good death by falling chandelier).
I can't remember the exact order, but Giantslayer is where the story is just not worth reading anymore and then Bill King quit and someone else took over.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 28, 2017

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I can't remember the exact order, but Giantslayer is where the story is just not worth reading anymore and then Bill King quit and someone else took over.
Giantslayer is just after Vampireslayer and I haven't read it (I bought two omnibuses with those six books in them, but nothing after that). I should also mention that Beastslayer and Vampireslayer, much like Daemonslayer and Dragonslayer, follow each other very closely in the timeline, as the kidnapping happens in Praag after the siege.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

We have them. I am in Ireland. You seem to have had your mind blown by a British business practice.

I have never seen that happen. Admittedly I don't go to GWs, but WHSmith has never charged me in full before the item got to the store.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's standard practice at Indigo/Chapters/Coles here in Canada.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

A decade ago it would have seemed odd, but paying upfront is par for the course with how internet shopping has blown up.

In other news Abnett is on University Challenge tonight for any britgoons interested:

https://twitter.com/VincentAbnett/status/946779230859296768

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I just finished Watchers of the Throne. What are the other books chronicling girlymans return? Which one portrays his talk with emps?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

D-Pad posted:

I just finished Watchers of the Throne. What are the other books chronicling girlymans return? Which one portrays his talk with emps?

Dark Imperium. It doesn't so much portray it as have Guilliman go "It sucked so hard", but it gives you a better insight into what it detailed.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Just finished emperor's legion was dope as gently caress

Now starting Dante than Devestation than warmmaster

Might swap Devestation and Warmaster

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I don't know why Black Library hasn't published or contracted an author to write a book from Guilliman's point of view because that fish outta water story would sell like gang busters.

Also finally bought warmaster, but rereading the rest of Gaunt's Ghosts first and I'm very impatient

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't know why Black Library hasn't published or contracted an author to write a book from Guilliman's point of view because that fish outta water story would sell like gang busters.

Also finally bought warmaster, but rereading the rest of Gaunt's Ghosts first and I'm very impatient

They could publish something that was ten pages about basically his first day back and it would sell like crazy.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
who would write it tho

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Chris Wraight really seems the best for showing the shittyness of the Imperium.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I finished my Christmas books. Read Carrion Throne, Dante, Devastation of Baal, Emperor's Legion and Master of Mankind. They were all really good but I realized I don't really like the themes of the new timeline compared to classic 40k.

I think I'll get a few more books when they come out with the new post-Guilliman stuff because I think my main annoyance stems from the space marine reboot into primaris marines, which I can't untangle from the awful fantasy reboot. Overall though I really dislike all the talk of hope and optimism because it goes against what I've always loved about the setting, but I also realize I'm fully applying angry old man logic here. I guess I got old.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Guilliman first words after being revived were actually, "I'm getting too old for this poo poo."

e; also, anyone have a link to the Asoiaf Game of Thrones / WH40K fanfic?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 2, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f8zAAHhOqBNbDVmfn1_Qz5ysvr0Q8QhhFOQPH_LRgE8/edit

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Beautiful, thanks!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh I've been looking for that thing.
Shame I can't remember what for now since it was so long ago now but at least now it's in my gdocs history section. :v:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Chris Wraight really seems the best for showing the shittyness of the Imperium.

Agreed. For some reason I randomly found myself rereading his Wrath of Iron over the weekend, and that is grim as hell in an entertaining fashion.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Wrath of Iron is absolutely hosed.

It's fantastic though.

On a similar note I'm rereading Traitor General and it's by far the best Warhammer 40k book I've ever read.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 3, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Just finished Warmaster. It was mostly fine and fun (though my Kindle copy felt like it was missing some text in a couple of places), but man, what a lovely point to end the book at. So many plot threads are up in the air, and if the wait for the next part is gonna be anything like the wait from Salvation's Reach to this one was…just ugh.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
For what it's worth Abnett indicated in an interview that the wait for Anarch will not be nearly as long.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Iron Rose posted:

On a similar note I'm rereading Traitor General and it's by far the best Warhammer 40k book I've ever read.

Necropolis might be the fan favourite, and my personal favourite is Straight Silver, but The Lost story arc from Traitor General through Only in Death is easily the best thing in the entire Ghosts catalogue.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Necropolis might be the fan favourite, and my personal favourite is Straight Silver, but The Lost story arc from Traitor General through Only in Death is easily the best thing in the entire Ghosts catalogue.

It might be because I first read them as a teenager, but The Saint is my favourite arc. The Guns of Tanith has always been my favourite, but Sabbat Martyr is close. GG is such a consistent series overall, and The Warmaster definitely did the business for me, even with the multiple cliffhangers. I enjoyed the newer focus on gender particularly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually feel like Sabbat Martyr us the weakest book by a mile because of how many plot threads it tries to resolve, and few of them are done well.
Warmaster feels like a redux of Sabbat Martyr but instead of resolving everything poorly it has a cliffhanger for Anarch.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Only In Death legitimately freaked me out the first time, and is very good and cool still.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apparently the Ghost Omnibuses are getting reprints with new cover art. Again. Because the cover artwork for these books has never been consistent.
The new covers feature a more accurate looking Gaunt, with Corbec on the cover for Founding, the first official picture of Rawne on The Saint, and a non-strung out looking Criid on The Lost. The artwork is fine but I prefer the gritty messy artwork with Mr Cover Commissar (who is not Gaunt) from the original run of prints.
Since moving on from John Blanche's artwork 40K visuals vary widely between really good looking crisp lines to overdetailed messes like the majority of the Heresy covers. And still nobody knows how to make Space Marines look interesting, settling instead on stern boredom and half raised bolters.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I just finished warmaster.
I wish Abnett would stop writing super abrupt cliffhanger endings. :smith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve been playing a lot of Freeblade on my iPhone lately, are there any worthwhile books about Imperial Knights?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
There is one called Freeblade. Don't know if it's worthwhile though, I haven't gotten to it yet.

I just bought it sight unseen because I like big stompy mechs and have low standards. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Knight fluff has been revised several times, but I'd love to find stories from the iteration where they wrestled xenos dinosaurs on feudal worlds.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Biplane posted:

Only In Death legitimately freaked me out the first time, and is very good and cool still.

Whichever one has the return to Gereon and Dalin's POV in the "normal" imperial guard is super hosed.

Like just really read that section, taking in every word and visualizing the scene. It's insane and terrifying to imagine, and genuinely drove home the "grimdark" part in a way no other black library book I've read has done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's Armour of Contempt. It also features just what really happens when several kilometers-long battleships enter an atmosphere. Massive wester disruption and huge lightning storms from the pressure change.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Abnett does written visuals super well. See also the warmaster arriving in Necropolis and everything in Know No Fear.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Whichever one has the return to Gereon and Dalin's POV in the "normal" imperial guard is super hosed.

Like just really read that section, taking in every word and visualizing the scene. It's insane and terrifying to imagine, and genuinely drove home the "grimdark" part in a way no other black library book I've read has done.

Yeah, Dalin literally being stuck in a tide of soldiers flinging themselves against a chaos bastion is way up there in terms of utter 40k-ness.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Jumping on the Watchers of the Throne and Dark Imperium was awesome train. Getting back into the fluff because GW finally moved the timeline after 30 loving years and it is rad.

I'm looking for any more books detailing Guilliman's return or the happenings of the 100 years of him leading the Indomitus Crusade. I was told in the game thread The Devastation of Baal takes place during the Crusade which is sort of a crumb on the floor to eat, but it's got good reviews so I'll pick it up. What else exists in this timeline that I can read?

Basically they could write a 20 page book with Guilliman sitting on a toilet and sell it for $150 and I'd buy it because I'm dumb and obsessed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Jumping on the Watchers of the Throne and Dark Imperium was awesome train. Getting back into the fluff because GW finally moved the timeline after 30 loving years and it is rad.

I'm looking for any more books detailing Guilliman's return or the happenings of the 100 years of him leading the Indomitus Crusade. I was told in the game thread The Devastation of Baal takes place during the Crusade which is sort of a crumb on the floor to eat, but it's got good reviews so I'll pick it up. What else exists in this timeline that I can read?

Basically they could write a 20 page book with Guilliman sitting on a toilet and sell it for $150 and I'd buy it because I'm dumb and obsessed again.

Devastation of Baal is a single battle that effectively lasts the entire length of the Indomitus Crusade due to warp time-fuckery. There's a pretty rad scene at the end when Guilliman shows up and is talking to Dante and alludes to how hosed up everything is to him. The book in general is one of the better Black Library offerings I've read in quite some time. The only other book that you haven't mentioned that I can think of off the top of my head is something involving the Alpha Legion and Celestine set in the Imperium Nihilus.

Looking at the main BL page it looks like they have a bunch of new stuff coming out too. Pretty much anything new from them will be set post gathering storm.