Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

oh man - ember up, dried finger, seed of a tree of giants

holy gently caress this NPC respawns i don't have to wait until NG+ i can do this RIGHT NOW brb

e: "As of Regulation 1.33 App Version 1.13, Seeds now only last for 45 seconds, but their spawn rate has been increased"

well, ok. thanks game. not like these things are supposed to be useful or anything

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's way better to have it this way and have them be temporarily useful as opposed to before where people would just constantly have seed up while running a gank

Aug 24, 2011

ok so those push guys in the ringed city were mildly annoying but i now have a new favourite dark souls enemy - the guy who pushes you out of his cave into the dragon fire while it's strafing you

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

His cousin has quite the kick in Nito's tomb.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

asio posted:

Not enough souls to worry about until you want to start making dedicated builds and go boss rush mode.

Don't immediately consume soul items, leave them in your inventory until you get to a vendor.

When the first boss goes into his second phase, he is weak to fire, which comes in bomb form.

Idk where the bombs are at. I'm playing as a Deprived, because I figured I might as well jump into the deep end and git gud.

Fister Roboto posted:

Eventually you'll be losing hundreds of thousands of souls to stupid deaths. Just get used to it and spend them when you can.

thx

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's a handful of firebombs in the cliff area after the first bonfire. They're kinda hidden but also guarded by some hollows.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

osirisisdead posted:

Idk where the bombs are at. I'm playing as a Deprived, because I figured I might as well jump into the deep end and git gud.

thx

start out as a class you actually want to play as since picking the wrong class means itll take you longer to get your build running. though if you have no idea what you want i guess deprived is fine. though most people pick knight for that since it has pretty good stat spread for any class.

Aug 24, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

His cousin has quite the kick in Nito's tomb.

that guy is not an enemy he is my deepest and dearest friend, i recognised his voice as soon as i met him

incidentally, having seen playthroughs of but never having played demon's souls, i am really glad that Old Monk is now a thing. as soon as i kill this hugeass loving dragon i am going to investigate

how do i aim lightning arrow? also, how do i aim at this dragon? it locks on to his head, which moves a lot

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iretep posted:

start out as a class you actually want to play as since picking the wrong class means itll take you longer to get your build running. though if you have no idea what you want i guess deprived is fine. though most people pick knight for that since it has pretty good stat spread for any class.

Yup. I have no idea what is going on with this game and don't want min-max advice. Premature optimization is the root of all evil.

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's a handful of firebombs in the cliff area after the first bonfire. They're kinda hidden but also guarded by some hollows.

I think I know where you are talking about. I'll look around a bit more after I beat those guys' heads in.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

also, how do i aim at this dragon? it locks on to his head, which moves a lot

unlock and just wreck the poo poo out of his toes

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

that guy is not an enemy he is my deepest and dearest friend, i recognised his voice as soon as i met him
I thought he was talking about the big skeleton in the runup to the final area before Nito, where if you charge at the ranged big skelly to avoid the bow shots, you'll get unceremoniously kicked off the ledge by his melee friend waiting behind the corner...

Probably my most fondly remembered Dark Souls death. It's simply perfect.

Aug 24, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I thought he was talking about the big skeleton in the runup to the final area before Nito, where if you charge at the ranged big skelly to avoid the bow shots, you'll get unceremoniously kicked off the ledge by his melee friend waiting behind the corner...

oh yeah. good times

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yooo just got the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring +2 and my platinum along with it :agesilaus:

I think I’m done doing meta-level PVP with this character so I’m gonna pump stats to have an easier time with Ringed City bosses in NG+2

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

World War Mammories posted:

Midir takes half damage anywhere that isn't his head though, so you're going to be there a while.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I just stunlocked the poo poo out of those big guys while two-handing Vordt's hammer and had no problems.

Two handed Str build was by far the easiest of all my play throughs. You only need 27 in Str, leaving you a poo poo load of points to dump into vig/end/vit.

If you only go for 27 str in a strength build, you're not doing a real strength build. You need 66 so you have MAXIMUM STRENGTH when two-handing.

The easiest way to go through this game is probably just starting as a Knight, infusing with Raw as soon as possible, upgrading your weapon and starting shield often and going for 40 vig/endurance as soon as possible. At least it would be the path of least resistance, especially if you get heal or med heal so you can get one or two extra out of combat heals in between bonfires.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I finally figured out my dilemma on a pure sorcerers melee weapon. The candle stick isnt ideal since it requires faith and it does crap damage even if you get the faith. The Lothric War Banner on the other hand does good damage even simple, buffs for even more damage than the candle and the fact that it needs to stay in an active hand isnt a problem since i can just cast from the off hand.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The final boss of Ringed City is giving me fits. Which is funny because I easily got him to his third phase on my first try but now I can’t even consistently get through phase 1 without consuming like four estus. I know his moves and how to beat him, I just can’t seem to execute.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Simply Simon posted:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Colonel Whitey posted:

The final boss of Ringed City is giving me fits. Which is funny because I easily got him to his third phase on my first try but now I can’t even consistently get through phase 1 without consuming like four estus. I know his moves and how to beat him, I just can’t seem to execute.

which final boss

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

which final boss

I guess I assumed Gael was the final boss of the dlc. Am I wrong

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

With his big beard and red coat I can't but help see Gael as the Santa Claus of Lothric.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

I guess I assumed Gael was the final boss of the dlc. Am I wrong

difficulty-wise i would say probably not. have you tried optional boss yet?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

difficulty-wise i would say probably not. have you tried optional boss yet?

Midir? Yeah it took me a while but I beat him. Which is why it’s funny to me that even though I definitely feel like Gael is easier I’m still having a hard time knocking that last ~1/5 off his health before I run out of estus.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

Midir? Yeah it took me a while but I beat him. Which is why it’s funny to me that even though I definitely feel like Gael is easier I’m still having a hard time knocking that last ~1/5 off his health before I run out of estus.

slow weapon? he's kind of a pain in the rear end with those

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

slow weapon? he's kind of a pain in the rear end with those

Yeah Profaned Greatsword has been my bread and butter for a while. I tried a run at the boss with the Lothric straight sword but it didn’t feel good because I haven’t played with straight swords much.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah Profaned Greatsword has been my bread and butter for a while. I tried a run at the boss with the Lothric straight sword but it didn’t feel good because I haven’t played with straight swords much.

i mean even with slow weapon though, first phase is very manageable because of his long recovery time after jumping stabby downward attack poo poo so it mostly just sounds like you need to nail that phase and keep all your estus for phase 2 and 3! at least with phase 2 you can mostly strafe him at his hip before he starts bouncing around all over the place in phase 3

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

i mean even with slow weapon though, first phase is very manageable because of his long recovery time after jumping stabby downward attack poo poo so it mostly just sounds like you need to nail that phase and keep all your estus for phase 2 and 3! at least with phase 2 you can mostly strafe him at his hip before he starts bouncing around all over the place in phase 3

Word. I went straight to him after beating Midir so I think my timing is still locked into big dragon mode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

IronicDongz posted:

it's way better to have it this way and have them be temporarily useful as opposed to before where people would just constantly have seed up while running a gank

the seed effect should be always-on by default and invaders should have the same number of estus as regular players

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

Word. I went straight to him after beating Midir so I think my timing is still locked into big dragon mode.

one other thing would be to bait out his longer range charge by keeping medium distance because the recovery time after that is pretty long as well. i think medium range distance from him also might make him use his crazy 3 attack and jump in the air poo poo more often also but i can't remember because it's been a long time!

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Yup, the best way to fight Gael is to stay at a medium distance from him, so he will have to use his stabby flying move, or his leap. Always stay about 2 rolls away from him, until he does that. If he goes for his frenzy, immediately roll back about 4 times while he's charging up, but don't get so far he stops without the jumping finisher, dodge towards him when he jumps, and hit him twice, then back off. You want to be backing away from him while circling at all times, but be aware of your surroundings so you don't back up into a corner.

With a big weapon like yours, you can very reliably get a stagger on him every 3 attacks as long as you don't wait too long between them. Use this to your advantage to get an extra hit in when it shouldn't be safe, or to interrupt him when you're wide open to something. I would interrupt his frenzy in phase 1, and sometimes knock him out of the air during his jumps in phase 3.

It's a fantastic fight.

Aug 24, 2011

would 2 handing a shield be an effective strat for midir

i mean, i'm gonna do it, just wondering if it's an extremely good idea or merely a very good idea

Aug 24, 2011

this wasnt a good idea at all

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Took me three more tries but I beat Gael. It was just a matter of timing my rolls better and recognizing whether he was doing a 3 hit combo or 2 hit combo during that third phase.

Game was very good. Of the Soulsborne games I’ve only played DS2 and Bloodborne but I think it’s almost as good as BB and might call it my favorite of those three if I was in the right mood. I put over 100 hours into this game, so I think I’m gonna put it down and finally play Zelda.

Aug 24, 2011

new midir strat: hit 200% equip load with havels gear and other stuff i'm not statted to equip. instead of rolling or being able to move at all, let him come to me

Aug 24, 2011

ok nope he has laser beams

e: mother fucker he has a second phase too? i'm using tears of denial now, good spell

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 10, 2018

Aug 24, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

this worked good thanks

tears of denial also popped like 3 times, turns out his second phase doesn't really do much if he's still swiping at his own feet

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ok nope he has laser beams

e: mother fucker he has a second phase too? i'm using tears of denial now, good spell

Every time he rears up to flame the ground at his feet run through his legs and bash his tail. That's the key.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
why are you all so bad at Midir

Stay in front and attack only the head. Anything else makes the fight much harder.

Aug 24, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Every time he rears up to flame the ground at his feet run through his legs and bash his tail. That's the key.

yeah i usually got 1 or 2 hits in on it once i worked out exactly how far i had to run to escape the fire

he has insane damage absorption! i only managed to hit his head a few times because it just wasn't safe especially without a shield

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

yeah i usually got 1 or 2 hits in on it once i worked out exactly how far i had to run to escape the fire

he has insane damage absorption! i only managed to hit his head a few times because it just wasn't safe especially without a shield

Going for the head provokes crazy laser attacks. Much easier to attack the tail, which also puts you in a good position to avoid his desperation AoE attacks. Just don't ever let him get too far from you, always stay mid range, because if he's on the other side of the map alone for too long he'll start doing laser party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Going for the head provokes crazy laser attacks. Much easier to attack the tail, which also puts you in a good position to avoid his desperation AoE attacks. Just don't ever let him get too far from you, always stay mid range, because if he's on the other side of the map alone for too long he'll start doing laser party.

This is the worst advice.