Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bunny doubles the jump reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The second one is literally more of the same, the third one adds more original gimmicks, both are fine.

uhhh what??

box boy ends with you getting the power to use two box sets at once and the final challenges are built around that

box box boy gives you that right from the start and the whole game is built around it

like sure i guess it’s “more of the same” insofar that it feels like a direct continuation of where the game would have went. it’s not just “more box boy” it’s an expanded upon box boy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's what I meant but did not say because it's post-xmas and I'm hung over as poo poo. It's more of the same poo poo they introduced at the end of the first game, like the first few levels are literally the last few levels of the previous game and then it keeps going with the twin-box gimmick.

I think the gimmicks they added for the third game are more interesting but I honestly don't think any of them are better than just okay.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh God there are more levels after the ending. Bunny increases jump, ninja suit increases speed. I have to do more boxes so I can get them. Goddamn. Also wizard isn't that game breaking. Levels are designed without needing the extra box.

Thanks YouTube for walkthroughs tho. 17-2 or 3 was a pain. At least I've cleared all levels with all the crowns so far. So king will be easy.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

box boy is good. one day qbby will return.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

qbby for sms5h

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Hmm... so I left my 3dsxl on charge in sleep mode and forgot for a couple of days. Found it today turned off and it won't boot up at all :( charging light comes on but it won't power up, not even a flicker of blue led.

Any ideas goons? I've tried taking out the sd and battery, cleaned contacts etc. I'm hoping it's maybe a dead battery and a new one might fix it?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Captain Hair posted:

Hmm... so I left my 3dsxl on charge in sleep mode and forgot for a couple of days. Found it today turned off and it won't boot up at all :( charging light comes on but it won't power up, not even a flicker of blue led.

Any ideas goons? I've tried taking out the sd and battery, cleaned contacts etc. I'm hoping it's maybe a dead battery and a new one might fix it?

Are you holding down the power button?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Tried holding it and also tapping it just incase I was going mad and had forgotten how to turn it on properly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Hair posted:

The "this is not safe" option for reviving it is to put in the battery, leave it charging for a minute, unplug, leave for a minute, replug in, repeat about three times and then leave it charging for several hours.

If this revives it, it's a temporary solution at best and your battery is probably dying.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

endlessmonotony posted:

The "this is not safe" option for reviving it is to put in the battery, leave it charging for a minute, unplug, leave for a minute, replug in, repeat about three times and then leave it charging for several hours.

If this revives it, it's a temporary solution at best and your battery is probably dying.

Also related: Holding the power button for ~10s is how you solve an OS freeze off sleep mode, if that's happened.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Yeeaaaah I'll just order a new battery and see if that fixes things.

I guess if it doesn't, at least the 2dsxl has some bitchin' colour schemes.

Edit : hadn't seen that other post. Yeah I've tried holding it for 30 seconds to see if that did some kinda booting thing but nope. Cheers for the suggestions though

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Hair posted:

Yeeaaaah I'll just order a new battery and see if that fixes things.

I guess if it doesn't, at least the 2dsxl has some bitchin' colour schemes.

Edit : hadn't seen that other post. Yeah I've tried holding it for 30 seconds to see if that did some kinda booting thing but nope. Cheers for the suggestions though

Probably the best choice. The first method is a way to bypass the charger safeties on a near-dead battery - that's li-ion chemistry for you. If the battery's actually damaged, it might result in Bad Things if you leave it unattended. The second method just forces it to shutdown from any mode so you can boot it back up.

Make sure to order the new battery from a somewhat respectable source, cheap chinese batteries can easily damage your device.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Best I can find is £12 for a "cameron sino" brand replacment. Their other batteries seem to have decent reviews and they looks like a step up from the £5 Hong Kong cheapos.

I mean that or go all in on a £120 mugen expanded battery.

I'll post again and let y'all know how it goes. Though from what I'm reading even with a duff battery it should still power on whilst plugged in, so I expect the unit is dead but we'll see.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Hair posted:

Best I can find is £12 for a "cameron sino" brand replacment. Their other batteries seem to have decent reviews and they looks like a step up from the £5 Hong Kong cheapos.

I mean that or go all in on a £120 mugen expanded battery.

I'll post again and let y'all know how it goes. Though from what I'm reading even with a duff battery it should still power on whilst plugged in, so I expect the unit is dead but we'll see.

Used Cameron Sino before. They're eh, but yeah, better than Shenzhen Specials.

A dead battery may not be able to power the device, especially with an USB charger. Got an official charger? Using the first trick also works.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah should have mentioned it's an official charger. Thanks for the info though. And yeah I figured they'd be "meh" I figure if it does work then I'll keep looking for a genuine battery to swap in and keep the cheap one as a spare.

Edit: ok so bizarre sitrep... I took it apart to see what I could see, looked visually fine.

When I put it back together, I pressed the power button and it booted up perfectly fine!

I let it sit on the menu for a moment, it then automatically brought up the "in sleep mode you can..." screen, then a few seconds later turned itself off.

Edit again: was not a sticky power button like I thought, came on for a while but then turned itself off again and is back to not working.

Really odd behaviour, I guess I'm back to getting a new battery then to try and remedy this.

Final edit: it appears to turn itself on/off every now and again, every few minutes or so :/ can't seem to make rhyme or reason out of it but I think I'll bust out the multimeter and check out the power switch. This is certainly real funky behaviour.

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 9, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here are the big games scheduled for release on 3DS this year (plus Mario Party which came out a couple days before xmas in PAL-land, and Style Savvy which came out on xmas day in NA):

Games that are announced for release in Japan that may or may not be localised: Persona Q2, the final dual-screen Etrian Odyssey game, Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2, Dead Heat Breakers (Dillon's Rolling Western game with a Mad Max-style setting), Dragon Quest 11 (PS4 version is definitely coming, 3DS version is not confirmed), etc.

There'll probably be a Direct either late this month or early next month and the current rumour is there's a new Zelda game coming for 3DS and it may or may not be a Link Between Worlds-style reimagining of Link's Awakening.

Mario Party: The Top 100 - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
New Style Boutique 3 / Style Savvy- Styling Star - out now! (PAL) / out now! (NA, digital-only)
Kirby Battle Royale - out now! (PAL) / January 19 (NA)
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - February 13 (NA) / February 16 (PAL)
The Alliance Alive - March 27 (NA) / March 27 (PAL)
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux - "early 2018" (NA) / "2018" (PAL)
Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido - "2018" (NA) / "2018" (PAL)
Jake Hunter Detective Story: Ghost of the Dusk - "2018" (NA) / "2018" (PAL)
Snack World - "TBA" (NA) / "TBA" (PAL)
Yokai Watch 3 - "TBA" (NA) / "TBA" (PAL)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Radiant Historia is out the same day as Bayo 1+2 Switch. :smithicide:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really want to play Radiant Historia but am I the only person that doesn't want to play an entire RPG on the 3DS anymore? I got absolutely ruined by Switch.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I love all my Nintendo platforms equally.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

There'll probably be a Direct either late this month or early next month and the current rumour is there's a new Zelda game coming for 3DS and it may or may not be a Link Between Worlds-style reimagining of Link's Awakening.

Oh my god I want this :pray:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Snack World - "TBA" (NA) / "TBA" (PAL)
Yokai Watch 3 - "TBA" (NA) / "TBA" (PAL)

Do you have a link to confirmation that these are going to be released in NA/PAL?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Snack World was on a NA Direct last year (don't think it was shown on the same EU one though). Yokai Watch 3 is probably a gimme since 1 and all versions of 2 made it over also.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really want to play Radiant Historia but am I the only person that doesn't want to play an entire RPG on the 3DS anymore? I got absolutely ruined by Switch.

I felt that way even before the Switch. I never found playing games for a long time to be comfortable on 3DS and a lot of games with “less simple” art styles look really lovely on the low res screen. Blows my mind that so many people put 100s of hours into 3DS Monster Hunters.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I didn't know Nintendo was reading my Games posts for the last two years (please please make this game Nintendo).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I felt that way even before the Switch. I never found playing games for a long time to be comfortable on 3DS and a lot of games with “less simple” art styles look really lovely on the low res screen. Blows my mind that so many people put 100s of hours into 3DS Monster Hunters.

Same, I loved the 3DS library and enjoyed using mine, but it always felt "dirty" and kinda gross specifically because of that screen

I don't even mind the resolution, it just lacks color and vibrancy...and that backlight is weak weak weak.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think the only thing I played more than a few minutes in the past year was Pokemon. I actually cancelled a price mistake Strange Journey I had preordered because I'll never play it at this point.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm really looking forward the Radiant Historia remake. I got super into the original but stopped as soon as I couldn't make any headway with that drat sand tarantula.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Radiant Historia really that good? The Chrono Trigger comparisons have me interested.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It is extremely good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It might be the best RPG I played on the DS.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's a good rpg that exists. It's well made and polished overall, lacking any particular damning flaws, but it also lacks that something to make it particularly memorable

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd say it's really that good. It's an excellent spiritual sequel to Chrono Trigger. You're not traveling through time so much as you are hopping between a couple of timelines. The battle system is simple but not as streamlined as Chrono Trigger, but unique and fun. Solid story too.

There are comparisons to CT, but it doesn't try to be an outright clone like I Am Setsuna was.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also the chrono trigger comparison is vapid, based on nothing beyond the vaguest connection of time travel and both games being 7/10s

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also it's funny to me that the most broken character in the game is a little satyr girl.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The two book kids reminded me of something from the Kingdom of Zeal, but yeah. The CT connection is very tenuous.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Radiant Historia really that good? The Chrono Trigger comparisons have me interested.

it's... it's not bad, it's not great, i'm not sure if i would call it "good." it's a game, i played it to the end, and the only thing i really remember about it is that my least favorite character was the fat babyface dwarf. there are certain basic similarities between the two games, but the chrono trigger comparisons are utterly overblown.

e: basically what cake attack is saying

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Radiant Historia is not like Chrono Trigger outside of a very basic alpha level plot similarity (Travel through time to fix poo poo).

Its a very good game though, and I liked it a hell of a lot more than Chrono Trigger.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
But basically to me Radiant Historia was a melding of a lot of good elements. The battle system is fun and modestly different from the usual affair, the characters are generally likeable, and the plot structure is pretty compelling/interesting. It's biggest downside to me is that it felt like they could have done a lot more with the timeline mechanics with a more ambitious story; rather than a remake what it needed was a sequel that could take the foundation from the first game and expand it into a new beast altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
even the "travel through time to fix poo poo" comparison is really misdirecting. what you actually do is, a bad thing happens, and you travel like five minutes in the past to do something slightly differently. there is absolutely no major time travel.