Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Jose posted:

cool now apparently newcastle have to sell players before they can buy anyone thanks mike ashley

that can't be good news for the sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Poor Rafa. I wonder if he has anything in his contract to give him an out due to this poo poo.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Poor Rafa. I wonder if he has anything in his contract to give him an out due to this poo poo.

He could (and should) resign

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Blue Star Error posted:

Rafa is quitting in March for the start of the summer season

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Wow if only Liverpool had a completely selfless midfielder who is 8/10 in everything and would calmly direct a team towards victory, a premier league winner completely unfazed by any challenge put before him...

I honestly don't know why we don't see more of Big Jim in midfield

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

it'll be the second time he was promised funds and didn't get them, so I wouldn't blame him for it at all

Blue Star Error posted:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley sues Rafa for breaking his contract, or the club Rafa moves to next or both.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Moritz Bauer to Stoke for £5m is a Done Deal!

I don't know anything about him apart from he's a right back. Apparently the deal was pretty much done last week when Hughes was still in charge.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

greazeball posted:

I honestly don't know why we don't see more of Big Jim in midfield
He’s played in 18 matches tbf and started 8. He’d play more if he was better than his competition.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Actual honest-to-god rumours of Championship failmen Wolverhampton Wanderers bidding £35m to take Andre Silva from Milan

You could get a whole Andy Carroll for that

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I don't think Milan will accept that bid. I hope he doesn't leave because he's better than Kalinic.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Actual honest-to-god rumours of Championship failmen Wolverhampton Wanderers bidding £35m to take Andre Silva from Milan

You could get a whole Andy Carroll for that

I think you’ll find Andy Carroll cost £35,018,000.

That gets you only 99.95% of an Andy Carroll.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
wolves are a scum club and I hope they get liquidated.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I think you’ll find Andy Carroll cost £35,018,000.

That gets you only 99.95% of an Andy Carroll.

Whoa now, where did the extra £6,000 come from?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

blue footed boobie posted:

For Italian stuff, yeah. But he’s not particularly good outside of Italy.

Seems like Sanchez to City for a fee in this area is definitely happening, though. I just hope Wengy wraps it up soon so that Arsenal can get some players in.

Arsenal won’t buy anyone of note this window I think, the plan now is limp through the league, try and win the europa league, massive rebuilding job in summer (please god Wenger retire and let the new guys plus new manager do the rebuild - he’s going to sign Fellaini on a loving free isn’t he).

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Arsenal won’t buy anyone of note this window I think, the plan now is limp through the league, try and win the europa league, massive rebuilding job in summer (please god Wenger retire and let the new guys plus new manager do the rebuild - he’s going to sign Fellaini on a loving free isn’t he).

I don’t think they really have a choice about signing new players. The squad is bad, and there are so many players with contracts expiring in the next year that they couldn’t really do a rebuild in one summer.

I’m starting to hope that the club is actually preparing for life after Wengy. They hired a “director of football relations” and “head of recruitment,” titles that sound like they’re actually trying to have some frame work in place outside of Wengy. Wengy didn’t seem too happy about the hiring of either of them, too.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

sebzilla posted:

Whoa now, where did the extra £6,000 come from?

Brexit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
big fan fo these andy acrroll to chelsea rumours

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

big fan fo these andy acrroll to chelsea rumours

Conte loves a poo poo striker in the January window. See: Borriello, Anelka, Osvaldo across his 3 years at Juve.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

trem_two posted:

Conte loves a poo poo striker in the January window. See: Borriello, Anelka, Osvaldo across his 3 years at Juve.

It’s not just a January thing. He also loaned noted scudetto winner Lord Bendtner.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

trem_two posted:

Chelsea also have a thing for poo poo strikers in January - Pato, Anelka, Torres, and Demba Ba.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I completely forgot Pato played for Chelsea

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Chelsea also have a thing for poo poo strikers in January - Pato, Anelka, Torres, and Demba Ba.

This pairing was written in the stars

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Ungratek posted:

he’s only 28 lol

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Ungratek posted:

played is a strong word

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Demba Ba rattled them in for west ham and Newcastle, Chelsea just mis used him

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

What is it with African strikers other than Drogba who just can't do it in the Prem?

United bought Mame Diouf as a striker and now he's a quality right wing back for insanely bad Stoke.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

He produced one unforgettable moment at least.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

What is it with African strikers other than Drogba who just can't do it in the Prem?

United bought Mame Diouf as a striker and now he's a quality right wing back for insanely bad Stoke.

Demba Ba scored 36 goals in 66 Prem games before joining Chelsea.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
kanu and yakubu and yes even adebayor were in fact good players

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

blue footed boobie posted:

I don’t think they really have a choice about signing new players. The squad is bad, and there are so many players with contracts expiring in the next year that they couldn’t really do a rebuild in one summer.

I’m starting to hope that the club is actually preparing for life after Wengy. They hired a “director of football relations” and “head of recruitment,” titles that sound like they’re actually trying to have some frame work in place outside of Wengy. Wengy didn’t seem too happy about the hiring of either of them, too.

New players will come in but just no players of note. So far a Greek defender he has sent out on loan (more fear about him not retiring) and he’s linked with some Boca Juniors 21 year old Argentine attacker.

He will probably buy at least one more but what the team needs now is either a complete overhaul with the stated plan of ‘here is the new manager, he has a three year contract, this is the recruitment and tactical philosophy’ or if Wenger stays he needs to identify what needs replacing (the only irreplaceable members of the starting XI want to leave anyway lol) and buy proven quality regardless of price.

I’d say the next two windows require the acquisition of a top class first choice goalkeeper, at least one centre half, a defensive mid, two creative attacking players. Buying halfway decent players on that shopping list in this market will come up to £200m which I can’t see Wenger accepting.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shrapnig posted:

Tony Yeboah was p. deece

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Looks like Arsenal are selling Coquelin to Valencia?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

brocked posted:

Looks like Arsenal are selling Coquelin to Valencia?

And maybe buying Malcom from Bordeaux? If they do that Alexis is definitely off to City.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

New players will come in but just no players of note. So far a Greek defender he has sent out on loan (more fear about him not retiring) and he’s linked with some Boca Juniors 21 year old Argentine attacker.

He will probably buy at least one more but what the team needs now is either a complete overhaul with the stated plan of ‘here is the new manager, he has a three year contract, this is the recruitment and tactical philosophy’ or if Wenger stays he needs to identify what needs replacing (the only irreplaceable members of the starting XI want to leave anyway lol) and buy proven quality regardless of price.

I’d say the next two windows require the acquisition of a top class first choice goalkeeper, at least one centre half, a defensive mid, two creative attacking players. Buying halfway decent players on that shopping list in this market will come up to £200m which I can’t see Wenger accepting.

Arsenal need about 4-5 new first team and 4-5 new second team players all across the pitch. Their team has just stagnated for so long with lack of transfer moves. Meanwhile, what should be their competition has been in for transfer activity in the hundreds of millions. Arsenal were 15th out of 20 EPL teams in transfer spending this summer, that's straight up indefensible for a big club with as many depth problems as they have. They continue to be one of the highest revenue teams in the league and they just sit on it non-stop while their ownership and management refuse to make competitive bids for star players. It's honestly disgusting.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Arsenal need to go gently caress themselves.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Before or after he walks?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Doubt he'd be walking if it was before..

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Libertine posted:

Arsenal need about 4-5 new first team and 4-5 new second team players all across the pitch. Their team has just stagnated for so long with lack of transfer moves. Meanwhile, what should be their competition has been in for transfer activity in the hundreds of millions. Arsenal were 15th out of 20 EPL teams in transfer spending this summer, that's straight up indefensible for a big club with as many depth problems as they have. They continue to be one of the highest revenue teams in the league and they just sit on it non-stop while their ownership and management refuse to make competitive bids for star players. It's honestly disgusting.

I think your projection for the number of players is right. And not just because of the quality of the players. Alexis, Ozil, Wilshere, Ramsey, Giroud, Cech, Cazorla, Monreal, and Ospina are all heading into the last year of their contract, and we’re getting to the point that it’s conspicuous that they have not signed extensions. Debuchy is on his way out, Cazorla died, Koscielny seems to be on the decline. Not to mention that Mustafi and supposedly Bellerin wanted out this summer. There are just a ton of moves to be made if Arsenal want to field a team that isn’t Lacazette, Elneny, and a bunch of youth team players in the next few years.

I don’t understand what’s going on with Coquelin. He’s a limited player, but he’s competent and reliable for what he does. He’s certainly better than Elneny who is an absolute shithouse. I don’t understand why Coquelin has fallen so far out of favor of why Arsenal seem to be happy to move him on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Because outside of a couple of good performances he's poo poo.

I heard Koscielny pretty much carries a permanent injury now.

I really don't get what happened to Wenger. He went from a very real thorn in SAF's side to this laughable mockery of a manger that makes the same mistakes over and over and over again. I genuinely don't understand how or why.

• Locked thread