Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Madurai posted:

Fast ferries, man.

Vomit Comets

Edit: Somalis had a large amount of manpower to throw away. Wooden skiffs trying to board high freeboard ships in seas would not be fun.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Blackchamber posted:

Are you factoring the cost of operations into that? When we were doing airstrikes in Yemen we dumped tons and tons of ordinance in the bomb boxes.

Helicopter operations when necessary were included. But if you need them when Somalis did it with wooden poo poo boats then lol.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Laranzu posted:

If I wasn't on the phone I'd draw two boxes. One named reactor and one named Intel ( cvic if it's a carrier!) And fit as many clip art dudes in those boxes as possible.

Then one Noble pooping into the boxes and a seabee looking sad because he doesn't know how to use his hammer.

Feel free to steal my idea anyone.

Make sure to cluster the intel dudes in one part of the box and have two nobles throwing poop at each other in the other part.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If we had a goon ship it would be one of those barges in Pearl Harbor that make so much loving noise that they sound like they are going 60kts but actually go 2kts.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ded posted:

If we had a goon ship it would be one of those barges in Pearl Harbor that make so much loving noise that they sound like they are going 60kts but actually go 2kts.

It'd also be constantly spilling oil and paint into the basin

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I had the first dream about being in the navy in years, in which I caused a loss of all AC by turning on startup heaters. I blame this thread.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Madurai posted:

Fast ferries, man.

Long ago I ran a fast ferry and yeah if you stuck some guns on it, it would be ideal.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Elendil004 posted:

Long ago I ran a fast ferry and yeah if you stuck some guns on it, it would be ideal.

Yeah, but what if I also want MCM and ASW capabilities?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

Yeah, but what if I also want MCM and ASW capabilities?

Then we'll sub contact out the Royal Navy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Solution identified for the manpower shortages.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m doing my part.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
“Look, it’s not a fitness test, it’s an intelligence test,” said Master Chief Petty Officer Martin Gallagher. “If they can’t figure out how to get someone to lie about push-ups and sit ups for them, they don’t’ deserve to stay in.”

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

They might want to lower that bar for retentions sake

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Null Integer posted:

“Look, it’s not a fitness test, it’s an intelligence test,” said Master Chief Petty Officer Martin Gallagher. “If they can’t figure out how to get someone to lie about push-ups and sit ups for them, they don’t’ deserve to stay in.”

It's uncanny how close this is to an actual conversation that took place yesterday when talking about how we all of a sudden have a poo poo ton of sailors on FEP because they did the bare minimum on their PRTs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The test should just be a scuttle hatch crawl followed by 100yrd 200lb dummy drag over and threw simulated hatches.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

It's uncanny how close this is to an actual conversation that took place yesterday when talking about how we all of a sudden have a poo poo ton of sailors on FEP because they did the bare minimum on their PRTs.

It's the opposite where I am. When they came out with the change to where if you get an excellent overall, a ton of people actually tried.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
PRT should just be a stores load and being able to fit through the smallest hatch.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

The test should just be a scuttle hatch crawl followed by 100yrd 200lb dummy drag over and threw simulated hatches.

I made a case for ditching existing regs and creating community based, functional fitness tests a la the Marine Corps and was mocked as it might make non-line communities too butt hurt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

I made a case for ditching existing regs and creating community based, functional fitness tests a la the Marine Corps and was mocked as it might make non-line communities too butt hurt.

Senior enlisted butthurt about the navy not being warrior enough is how we got the NWUs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You would think being able to drag a dummy around would be a better test of the “sea warrior” ethos than some push-ups, sit-ups and a brisk jog.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
but how many of your shipmates would you actually want to drag to safety

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Drag to safety/toss over the side it’s really case by case.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lol we had someone feign chest pain during DRB today so they'd stop getting yelled at for underage drinking.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That’s just his guilt leaving his body.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

ManMythLegend posted:

The Bees would just replace PRT with washing cars for Chiefs' fundraisers

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

The Bees would just replace PRT with washing cars for Chiefs' fundraisers

I know you are being slightly facetious but this is something I never understood about the Navy. They fundraise for EVERYTHING and the only people who buy poo poo from those fundraisers are the same people who do their own. So it's the same group of people swapping money back and forth over and over. I see lovely car wash after lovely car wash and terrible looking hot dogs and all kinds of other poo poo for sale all the time. That means that Sailors on the waterfront are being forced to come into work on during their off time and made to sell hot dogs or car washes or whatever.

I see it over and over where 10-15 people will come in for an entire day and raise like 150 dollars. That means each volunteer could have just gave 20 bucks and kept their day off while raising twice the amount they did washing cars. I finally convinced our Chief's mess to stop with their dumb things and instead just buy a gently caress ton of frozen pizzas, wait til Marines are on the ship and we've been underway for at least two weeks, cook pizzas and sell them for 10-15 dollars each. We pull in thousands for a single evening's work and we are all stuck on the ship anyway. Any other fundraising will have to happen when I would already be working or there is zero chance I participate. I will give them 20 bucks or so and stay home with my family since I spend the other half of the year underway.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I know you are being slightly facetious but this is something I never understood about the Navy. They fundraise for EVERYTHING and the only people who buy poo poo from those fundraisers are the same people who do their own. So it's the same group of people swapping money back and forth over and over. I see lovely car wash after lovely car wash and terrible looking hot dogs and all kinds of other poo poo for sale all the time. That means that Sailors on the waterfront are being forced to come into work on during their off time and made to sell hot dogs or car washes or whatever.

I see it over and over where 10-15 people will come in for an entire day and raise like 150 dollars. That means each volunteer could have just gave 20 bucks and kept their day off while raising twice the amount they did washing cars. I finally convinced our Chief's mess to stop with their dumb things and instead just buy a gently caress ton of frozen pizzas, wait til Marines are on the ship and we've been underway for at least two weeks, cook pizzas and sell them for 10-15 dollars each. We pull in thousands for a single evening's work and we are all stuck on the ship anyway. Any other fundraising will have to happen when I would already be working or there is zero chance I participate. I will give them 20 bucks or so and stay home with my family since I spend the other half of the year underway.

All of our fcpoa fundraisers were while we were at work. However we were 'extorting money from junior sailors' as our new co put it so we had to stop selling pizzas and donuts to the students at A school.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Every time I drive by the "Chief's car wash" fund raisers for the chief selects I have to really restrain myself from flipping them off. Spend your own drat money you fuckers and leave the car washes to the loving football kids and poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's been cold as poo poo for the past few weeks here in Quebec, and now USS Little Rock, LCS-9, is stuck in Montreal since after Christmas... until god knows when. Actual ice rated vessels are having a hard time, never mind that thing.

Anyway of all the things I wish would have happened to me while I was sailing, "Stuck in Montreal for a month" is pretty much the best :laugh:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

It's been cold as poo poo for the past few weeks here in Quebec, and now USS Little Rock, LCS-9, is stuck in Montreal since after Christmas... until god knows when. Actual ice rated vessels are having a hard time, never mind that thing.

Anyway of all the things I wish would have happened to me while I was sailing, "Stuck in Montreal for a month" is pretty much the best :laugh:

About a hundred times more desirable than "stuck in Bahrain for a month".

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

Yea who would have thought having a 13 ft draft would make it difficult for ships to leave through the St Lawrence in the middle of loving winter.

Everyday I come to work I can't believe they make US Navy ships up here.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"Stuck on Guam for a month" and the whole boat spent two months worth of their paychecks

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea who would have thought having a 13 ft draft would make it difficult for ships to leave through the St Lawrence in the middle of loving winter.

Everyday I come to work I can't believe they make US Navy ships up here.

I remember when I was in the program at the beginning there was a huge push to shove FREEDOM out of the lakes before winter regardless if she was ready because there was a legitimate fear that the delay from getting iced in would be enough to kill the program at that point.

There is an argument to be made for diversifying the yards, and for having one away from the coasts, but I don't know if Marionette was the right choice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

From a strictly geographical aspect it’s too bad the Bay Area, CA isn’t an active shipyard.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ManMythLegend posted:

I remember when I was in the program at the beginning there was a huge push to shove FREEDOM out of the lakes before winter regardless if she was ready because there was a legitimate fear that the delay from getting iced in would be enough to kill the program at that point.

There is an argument to be made for diversifying the yards, and for having one away from the coasts, but I don't know if Marionette was the right choice.

She went flying by the cargo ship I was on on her way down, the wake that thing put out was :stare:.

A 30,000 DWT rolling like a motorboat had just gone by a canoe. poo poo was epic.

Edit: the Coast Guard hydrographic survey boat ahead of us freaked out on the VHF when they saw that, Freedom slowed right down just before they got to them. poo poo was hilarious.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

LingcodKilla posted:

From a strictly geographical aspect it’s too bad the Bay Area, CA isn’t an active shipyard.

There's still stuff in south SF or on Mare Island if you just want a quick yard period. The skilled labor required to build a ship isn't there though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Skilled labor is the least of it. No affordable housing to even attract the workers is a bigger deal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

chief fundraisers are the biggest crock of poo poo. Buy your own god damned booze and quit getting junior sailors to pay for it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Freedom and Indies are cool in the sense that when they work, man they go fast. They're up there with small boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Thronde posted:

Freedom and Indies are cool in the sense that when they work, man they go fast. They're up there with small boats.

Yeah, I've never been on anything much past 20kt, Navy gets to have all the high speed fun. Maersk proper has a 40kt class but it sounds nightmarish from a fuel and maintenance perspective.