Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hivac posted:

This happened with a lot of fans too i think

Right here, but I didn't really get into Awakening until like 2 years after I bought it so I'm counting on the same thing to happen with Fates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

abraxas posted:

The boring part isn't even the game itself or the runner/couch. I love these dudes and all but the fact that he's "just" manipulating RNG a whole bunch and knows exactly what's gonna happen, even down to "hey this character is gonna hit their 2% crit chance riiiight HERE!" just kinda makes it boring. Like someone else said earlier, this is just a slow and manual RNG manip TAS.

yeah technically this is really impressive, but in action its boring to watch

like this required some serious game memory fuckery to map out all these actions to manipulate the RNG seed, godspeed FE nerds

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

JethroMcB posted:

Right here, but I didn't really get into Awakening until like 2 years after I bought it so I'm counting on the same thing to happen with Fates

I liked awakening to beat it like 4 times, I couldn't get past like 10-11 stages of fates because it was so goddamn tepid and I just did not care about any of the characters or the setting

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
what happened to all the discussions from the previous GDQ threads where people were mad at glitch abuse because they wanted "pure execution and skill"

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is this one of those playthrough "speedruns" where there isn't much to speed the game up and a lot is determined by RNG?

Well, all of the RNG is gone since the guy knows how to manipulate it. So it's technically way faster as a result but yeah, you're not going to be seeing absurd nonsense or non-stop action here.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Twist And Pout! posted:

yeah technically this is really impressive, but in action its boring to watch

like this required some serious game memory fuckery to map out all these actions to manipulate the RNG seed, godspeed FE nerds

At least there won't be a cascade of fuckups like all the last times they ran fire emblem

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

next up: state capitals speedrun by a guy who memorized all of the state capitals

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Your Computer posted:

what happened to all the discussions from the previous GDQ threads where people were mad at glitch abuse because they wanted "pure execution and skill"

who the gently caress would have this warped of an opinion

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hivac posted:

I liked awakening to beat it like 4 times, I couldn't get past like 10-11 stages of fates because it was so goddamn tepid and I just did not care about any of the characters or the setting

i put over 300 hours in awakening just grinding out stupid streetpass teams :negative:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

abraxas posted:

The boring part isn't even the game itself or the runner/couch. I love these dudes and all but the fact that he's "just" manipulating RNG a whole bunch and knows exactly what's gonna happen, even down to "hey this character is gonna hit their 2% crit chance riiiight HERE!" just kinda makes it boring. Like someone else said earlier, this is just a slow and manual RNG manip TAS.

Ramos posted:

Well, all of the RNG is gone since the guy knows how to manipulate it. So it's technically way faster as a result but yeah, you're not going to be seeing absurd nonsense or non-stop action here.

Wait, so this run literally plays out the exact same every time?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

next up: state capitals speedrun by a guy who memorized all of the state capitals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAII411eqPg

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Elliotw2 posted:

I was talking with someone last night who expressed that opinion

I said he was wrong and then went on to enjoy MGS3 yesterday

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Elliotw2 posted:

I think that's basically Twin Galaxies' rationale. I think they still ban glitches in runs, which is why nobody gives a poo poo about them except when we get to mock them.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

They're doing the exact precise actions that would be required to get the game to spit out the numbers they want it to

it's perfect but it's boring

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah everything is manipulate-able

Welcome to fuckin Fire Emblem

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I just finished a speedrun of my lunch AMA.

Medium Roast Beef, Arby's Sauce%

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I love Fire Emblem, but it wasn't really made for speedrunning. Low turn challenges are much more interesting.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm not even clicking this cause I already know what it is :laugh:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I, meanwhile, think this run is perfectly enjoyable

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Saint Freak posted:

what's the estimated time for the upcoming toilet run

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Hivac posted:

They're doing the exact precise actions that would be required to get the game to spit out the numbers they want it to

i mean you could describe a lot of speedruns like this, basically every game without unmanipulatable RNG

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

For the last time dude you have to post the asmr vid or it doesn't get accepted, leaderboard rules...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hivac posted:

Great commentary on the struggles of the individual to reach a good life.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Majuju posted:

what's the estimated time for the upcoming toilet run

It's already on and it looks like 1 hour 25 minutes according to the screen

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Soup du Jour posted:

Yeah I think RNG manip runs are all cool

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

just like most other speedruns provided people don't make mistakes?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
SRPG runs are either complete messes or planned down to the smallest movement, really.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dunban posted:

I love Fire Emblem, but it wasn't really made for speedrunning. Low turn challenges are much more interesting.

Yeah this is how I feel. I watched it for a bit to see the execution but I don't need another whole hour.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Shame they are using the default Gameboy Player software and not the much nicer GB Interface with Swiss. That fixes all the blurriness the game has right now.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Had pick up pizza from a ma and pa restaurant. Local businesses > dominoes and anyone else any day.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Saint Freak posted:

It's already on and it looks like 1 hour 25 minutes according to the screen

you should try any% and just glitch the turds into the bowl from your office chair, really saves time

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

i can't believe i was making lunch when two pages ago someone mentioned the best ever game franchise

shining force

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I had mac'n'cheese.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also I like the glitch where you can take control of the enemies that nobody in this thread has mentioned

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah this is how I feel. I watched it for a bit to see the execution but I don't need another whole hour.

This is pretty much how I feel, I've seen and done enough RNG manipulation (quite a bit on this very game) that the novelty wore off pretty quickly and now it's just another hour of it

Corek posted:

Also I like the glitch where you can take control of the enemies that nobody in this thread has mentioned

The enemy control glitch loving rules and you can do dumb poo poo with it like teach every single character in the game dark magic by taking away a monster's abstract attack from its inventory

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The games that people can run blindfolded are also completely predictable abuses of the system. They generally just don't last 90 minutes.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea this run isn't any different to me than every other RPG speedrun I've watched. There is a huge amount of work done on the routing setup and an impressive amount of memorization to execute the route. Clinically I find it interesting, but it is mostly background fodder for me.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Waffles Inc. posted:

i can't believe i was making lunch when two pages ago someone mentioned the best ever game franchise

shining force

The only Shining Force games that I know and played are NEO and EXA. I’m honestly not sure anyone else knows these games exist cause I haven’t seen any let’s plays of them.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Soup du Jour posted:

Nobody's perfect but I'm glad somebody out there likes this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Corek posted:

tyblazitar posted:

this is a pretty rad glitch

• Locked thread