Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Shoombo posted:

No one should go to jail, regardless of the crime. Prison is torture, dehumanizing, and modern slavery. Nobody kills for no reason, that's just a convenient lie to ignore the fact that the entire system is hosed by design. Figure out a reason and treat the case with restorative justice in whatever form that takes..

My friend was kidnapped, raped, beaten, and decapitated by a serial killer about ten years back. What counts as restorative justice in that case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

The overlying problem with society is valuing punishment over rehabilitation. We would rather see revenge.

Ron White's comedy is awful, but he hit the nail on the head when he said, "If you kill somebody, we will kill you back."

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Hey internet stranger, I don't think you loving know me or what the gently caress I do in my spare time in regards to rights of individuals and injustices, so maybe don't assume you know me just because we disagree about rehabilitating murderers from seven years ago.

I know you're good people from other things you've said in here. I'm having a really rough morning and I'm trying to calm down. I don't regret what I've said ideologically, but I could have been less agressive towards you. I'm sorry.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzYvoFjYCXY&t=461s

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

a foolish pianist posted:

My friend was kidnapped, raped, beaten, and decapitated by a serial killer about ten years back. What counts as restorative justice in that case?

I don't have all the answers, there's way better writers and thinkers than me that can try and answer that.

The answer is not to let them rot in a facility where they will be routinely abused by the guards, denied medical care, and work for pennies on the dollar, no matter how much punishment feels right.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Timby posted:

Last month, my wife finally admitted that she's depressed, and decided she wanted to start therapy; good for her, I've been in therapy for almost a decade. Anyway, she called our healthcare company's mental health clinic (the company is both insurer and provider) to schedule an intake appointment. She called on something like December 14 or 15. She was told that the soonest available appointment with a therapist was loving March 9.

System's hosed.

https://openpathcollective.org/
Use this, get the help you need

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there's anything wrong with prison as a concept, it's just often done in the most awful, inhumane way possible. We're still at a point in society where getting raped in prison is a joke and something that is expected rather than something horrific that we as a society should be doing everything in out power to prevent. There are arguably even worse things about prisons but society at least pretends that poo poo doesn't happen.

I guess I'm just saying that we're not going to get prisons to a place where they're morally acceptable if we can't even acknowledge that sending people, no matter who they are, to a place where we accept they will probably get raped is horrific.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with prison as a concept, it's just often done in the most awful, inhumane way possible. We're still at a point in society where getting raped in prison is a joke and something that is expected rather than something horrific that we as a society should be doing everything in out power to prevent. There are arguably even worse things about prisons but society at least pretends that poo poo doesn't happen.

I guess I'm just saying that we're not going to get prisons to a place where they're morally acceptable if we can't even acknowledge that sending people, no matter who they are, to a place where we accept they will probably get raped is horrific.

There's still a significant push to privatize prisons. For-profit incarceration is one of the most horrific concepts I can imagine.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Shoombo posted:

I know you're good people from other things you've said in here. I'm having a really rough morning and I'm trying to calm down. I don't regret what I've said ideologically, but I could have been less agressive towards you. I'm sorry.

It's cool bud. No bad blood. Like I said, I agree with your points, and it's a very complicated and heavy issue. I try to do what I can to help instead of hurt.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
another problem we face in reforming prisons is many of the things they should provide are things that regular people don't have, so that just creates huge backlash. Like people should be angry that they don't have access to healthy food, comfortable safe living conditions, healthcare and free education that will help them get work rather than being mad at the concept of of prisoners getting that, but that's not usually the way it works out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

There's still a significant push to privatize prisons. For-profit incarceration is one of the most horrific concepts I can imagine.

It makes my blood boil. My friend was in prison, a private facility, worked for dimes a day recycling electronics. Got out and got moved into a privately owned halfway house (Halfway Homes, Inc.) and its just as bad as prison but its mission is supposedly to help funnel inmates back into society, but instead only fuels recidivism through extremely restrictive practices.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There was a really good doc on Showtime that aired last year about murderers locked up in Thailand who earn redemption through Muay Thai, and the ethical questions that surround it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPL4NIM_Cw4

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 9, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Franchescanado posted:

Well, the year after I graduated high school, two guys I knew, around 16 or 17 years old, took a girl they knew to the park and blew her brains out point blank with some stolen pistols, because "They wanted to be career criminals and wanted to practice taking a life." So sometimes I'm cool with teens being tried as adults.

Not in the case of the Slenderman thing, of course, tragedies involving mental health are a serious problem, but sometimes people are just evil or want to kill and deserve to be locked away.

There is almost assuredly a trauma/abuse/neglect history there.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Most of genchat is very good people and I respect everything people say and have learned a lot from discussions here even though I'm not a very active poster.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Prison abolition is something I think a lot about, as someone with friends inside. And I agree with the idea, but I would be lying if I did not admit that I have found the comprehensive case for restorative justice to be ideologically lacking and hand-wavey. It’s hard to provide a concrete and resolute solution when you can’t really experiment and develop your case, but it still causes me hesitation.

That’s not to say that at least the strong majority of US prisoners shouldn’t be released immediately and unconditionally.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
man, the score for DEVILMAN crybaby loving slaps hard, by the way. more anime needs synthwave in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCE3e1-jNHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOn9t41XiZE

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 9, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

the theme song from Creep 2 is some great synthwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNyln5Bg9JU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Anonymous Robot posted:

That’s not to say that at least the strong majority of US prisoners shouldn’t be released immediately and unconditionally.

It does get thorny when you talk about who should be removed from society and who shouldn't, but to even get to that point, you must address much simpler stuff like: Why are most of the people in prison there for drug offenses? What purpose does the death penalty serve? What is the actual role of prison? The "rapists and murderers roaming free" argument is very far down the line.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Looks like i’m gonna be busy this weekend.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel like if your crime wasn't violent (assault/murder/rape/manslaughter), something other than incarceration needs to be the standard. And we REALLY need to reconsider how drugs are looked at, I'm of the belief that the drug war has had a long enough kick at the can, and it's been LAUGHABLY ineffective. The ONLY crime when it comes to drugs should be selling to minors, same as alcohol and tobacco. Tax drugs and use the money to go towards education.

For the record I'm not big on incarceration in general, but I honestly don't know what else we'd do with folks who are threats to others (I think therapy is to be considered, but some folks don't want to get better). And there needs to be SOMETHING to dissuade people from white-collar crime.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 9, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Poor, Yeezy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gonz posted:

Holy gently caress that's a good con lineup :chanpop:

I wonder if they'll get sued for promoting Hulk Hogan as a WWE Legend, though (he no longer has a Legends contract and will likely never have one again)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I wonder if they'll get sued for promoting Hulk Hogan as a WWE Legend, though (he no longer has a Legends contract and will likely never have one again)

They'll probably be fine as long as they don't use any trademarked imagery like the company logo. Odious as he is, referring to him as a WWE legend is accurate.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That con seemed to pop up out of nowhere. I probably would have got tickets had I known sooner. I always said that doing cons in Phoenix during the summer months was an idiot idea, and that one sounds like they found the perfect time.

I wanna go to PCC this year, but after that guy tried to kill the Green Ranger, the security is gonna be unbearable. No way I'm standing outside in a line in June.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
God, Demi's look in NBT is 🔥🔥🔥

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
And I only just realized that all four of the people that con's promoting as WWE Legends were primarily WCW guys :lol:

(Except Hulk but even then, Hollywood Hulk)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

And I only just realized that all four of the people that con's promoting as WWE Legends were primarily WCW guys :lol:

(Except Hulk but even then, Hollywood Hulk)

Eh, Jimmy Hart is more 50/50

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This poo poo is PRICEY, too.

Autographs

Photo Ops

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gonz posted:

Geez, that looks dangerous behind them. Really irresponsible of them to schedule a convention during a tornado.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

That con seemed to pop up out of nowhere. I probably would have got tickets had I known sooner. I always said that doing cons in Phoenix during the summer months was an idiot idea, and that one sounds like they found the perfect time.

I honestly had no idea this was even happening until today. Poor advertising on the part of the company. I saw that on Instagram for gently caress’s sake.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm pretty sure he'll get back in soon enough. They accepted Warrior after all, and he said some pretty heinous poo poo.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Poor, Yeezy

Nothing to do with Kanye, but I definitely want to hear you talk about Chronicle.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd never heard of it until I saw it advertised on a Zia Records door over the New Year weekend. It sounds like a new con. Could go either way, but that's a hell of a guest line up. I'm sure the organizers have to be experienced and well connected.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DrVenkman posted:

I'm pretty sure he'll get back in soon enough. They accepted Warrior after all, and he said some pretty heinous poo poo.

Honestly that's a bit of a weird case because, looking back, it's really really obvious that Warrior was pretty severely mentally ill and I feel kind of gross making moral judgments of him as a result. Hulk Hogan, as far as anyone knows, is perfectly mentally healthy and is just one of the biggest assholes of all time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

The RAW 25th anniversary is next week. If he doesn't make an appearance then, I'd wager it ain't ever happening.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

man, the score for DEVILMAN crybaby loving slaps hard, by the way. more anime needs synthwave in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCE3e1-jNHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOn9t41XiZE

I'm more than a little shook by how precisely Anonymous Robot had my number with his recommendation with it. Like TBH the synthwave and retrowave score is pretty low on my list of why I loved it, but only because I can point to something that happens like every twenty seconds and go "here's me"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anonymous Robot posted:

Prison abolition is something I think a lot about, as someone with friends inside. And I agree with the idea, but I would be lying if I did not admit that I have found the comprehensive case for restorative justice to be ideologically lacking and hand-wavey. It’s hard to provide a concrete and resolute solution when you can’t really experiment and develop your case, but it still causes me hesitation.

Well put. I don't really agree with the idea though, particularly, as others have said, with crimes of violence. That's not to deny that the US (and pretty much all) prison systems are hosed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

The RAW 25th anniversary is next week. If he doesn't make an appearance then, I'd wager it ain't ever happening.

The Hulkster is winning the Rumble, brother. He’s going over Brock in NOLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

175 bucks to meet the guy who did Child’s Play???

• Locked thread