Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Elfgames posted:

nah usually the badguys are so eager to do their polluting that they skip things like permits and poo poo like i remember one episode where the planeteers actually get locked up in prison cause the badguys actually bothered to do poo poo legally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Nuclear War posted:

Wait what's wrong with intouchables I remember liking it

Nothing, it's great.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Count Uvula posted:

Harlan Ellison's a serious motherfucker who fought with everyone in the rather small circle of sci-fi authors back in his heyday. While all his peers find him to be an unlikable prick he does have the positive traits of being consistently anti-imperialist and making fun of the worst troglodytes in the early sci-fi fandom.

He also sexually assaulted Connie Willis at a con. He's a giant suppurating rear end in a top hat of a human being. That said, at the period in time at which the ad aired the non-sci-fi-fandom general public wouldn't have known him as anything other than "noted futurist," if that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
but wouldn't saying he can't wear that also be racist? :thunk:

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

value-brand cereal posted:

YSL: hey just to be perfectly clear, dark skinned people, you're not welcome to use our products lollerskates *hUgS* !

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

TBF H&M is a Swedish company, and that's their British site.
Calling children "little monkeys" is a pretty common turn of phrase in the UK, though it probably would have been smarter not to pick a black kid as the model. But the thing is that some of this stuff comes from the fact that people literally aren't exposed to some of the racist stereotypes other people take for granted.
The whole black people + fried chicken / watermelon thing isn't really well known over here, for example. I was really confused a few years ago when someone pointed up an ad showing a black dude eating some watermelon and called it out for being racist, because that association was just something I'd never come across before.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Globalization is a bitch isn't it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Death to America.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Part of the reason I'm a little weirded out how "person of colour" and "coloured" have apparently become positive phrases nowadays. When I was growing up they were pretty vile indications the person was racist, being used alongside Paki, etc

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

No Pressure, a short-film directed by Richard Curtis meant to promote global-warming mitigation. :nws: as it depicts men, women, children, and Gillian Anderson violently exploding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmLcSeU2UY

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 12:39 on Jan 9, 2018

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Globalization is a bitch isn't it

You joke, but in this regard it kind of is.
Things which wouldn't previously have hurt some people become hurtful to them because those people are now aware that they have those connotations. When we make giant public outcries about this sort of thing, we're hurting people who might otherwise have never have been vulnerable to the offense in question by virtue of their ignorance. I'm not trying to say we shouldn't call out racism or insensitivity; that would be dumb. But it's a double-edged sword, because by doing so we ensure that nothing can ever stop being offensive. Racist slurs/stereotypes that could have just slipped quietly into the realm of nonsense are kept alive and hurtful by our continued insistence on making sure everyone knows that they're hurtful.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So calling Black people monkeys is an American thing? Because I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some old Belgium stuff that portrayed Africans as monkeys. Then again, that is Belgium.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

So calling Black people monkeys is an American thing? Because I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some old Belgium stuff that portrayed Africans as monkeys. Then again, that is Belgium.

Comparing black people to monkeys is sadly pretty common around the world.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The_White_Crane posted:

You joke, but in this regard it kind of is.
Things which wouldn't previously have hurt some people become hurtful to them because those people are now aware that they have those connotations. When we make giant public outcries about this sort of thing, we're hurting people who might otherwise have never have been vulnerable to the offense in question by virtue of their ignorance. I'm not trying to say we shouldn't call out racism or insensitivity; that would be dumb. But it's a double-edged sword, because by doing so we ensure that nothing can ever stop being offensive. Racist slurs/stereotypes that could have just slipped quietly into the realm of nonsense are kept alive and hurtful by our continued insistence on making sure everyone knows that they're hurtful.

Twitter is a real boon for lazy journalists.

In the past, they had to walk the streets, looking for voxpops from loonies to give angry quotes about things they don't understand.
Now they just have to trawl twitter and someone, somewhere around will be suitably outraged enough to give a good quote that they can fill their web article with and then generate outrage from British readers

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not a common British racist insult for black people (don't worry, we have plenty more to choose from).

Related: remember the furore with Top Gear using 'slope' and it being horribly racist? Well, the reason that the entire film crew and producers didn't prevent it from being broadcast is because 'slope=Asian' isn't a thing here. It's an American insult and not one that's come across.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

spog posted:

Related: remember the furore with Top Gear using 'slope' and it being horribly racist? Well, the reason that the entire film crew and producers didn't prevent it from being broadcast is because 'slope=Asian' isn't a thing here. It's an American insult and not one that's come across.

Also, for that matter, "Asian" has a different implied meaning over here; it tends to mean people from the region of Pakistan/India, rather than China/Japan.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
See also: "spastic"

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The gently caress is slope-asian?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Furia posted:

The gently caress is slope-asian?

quote:

The Top Gear presenters go across Burma and Thailand in lorries with the goal of building a bridge over the river Kwai. After building a bridge over the Kok River, Clarkson is quoted as saying "That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it." as a native crosses the bridge, 'slope' being a pejorative for Asians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-OQR5zu_J4

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

spog posted:

Wait, what?

I am an American and I have never once heard the word "slope" used as a pejorative for people of Asian descent.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Wait, what?

I am an American and I have never once heard the word "slope" used as a pejorative for people of Asian descent.

If only there were some way for you to look this up, perhaps on a network of interconnected computers.

The next time you think "nah, that's not a racial slur" feel free to do that instead of interjecting your "can't be racist; I haven't heard it" idiocy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Phone-posting, so I'm going off memory, but the U.S. band The Slopes faced some copyright challenges since their name was a racist slur. I believe the First Amendment won out.

Their lead singer is of Asian descent, and I think chose the name in part to normalize the term à la "queer" or "gay”.

eta: Christopher Walken's character uses the term in Pulp Fiction.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Wait, what?

It's fallen out of use (which is why Old Man Clarkson would bust it out), but yeah, it totally is.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Grassy Knowles posted:

If only there were some way for you to look this up, perhaps on a network of interconnected computers.

The next time you think "nah, that's not a racial slur" feel free to do that instead of interjecting your "can't be racist; I haven't heard it" idiocy.
This was wholly unnecessary. Get hosed.

Grey Fox posted:

It's fallen out of use (which is why Old Man Clarkson would bust it out), but yeah, it totally is.

Thank you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Phone-posting, so I'm going off memory, but the U.S. band The Slopes faced some copyright challenges since their name was a racist slur. I believe the First Amendment won out.

Their lead singer is of Asian descent, and I think chose the name in part to normalize the term à la "queer" or "gay”.

eta: Christopher Walken's character uses the term in Pulp Fiction.

They’re called the Slants and the Washington Redskins are using their case to justify their name being okay.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

poo poo, sorry about that. At least the names were similar! :shobon:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Henchman of Santa posted:

They’re called the Slants and the Washington Redskins are using their case to justify their name being okay.

They're using the case to argue that being denied a trademark because their name is offensive isn't okay. And they're entirely right. The Supreme Court got it obviously correct and it was a 8-0 decision:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/15-1293_1o13.pdf

quote:

With few narrow exceptions, a fundamental principle of the First Amendment is that the government may not punish or suppress speech based on disapproval of the ideas or perspectives the speech conveys. See Rosenberger v. Rector and Visitors of Univ. of Va., 515 U. S. 819, 828–829. The test for viewpoint discrimination is whether—within the relevant subject category—the government has singled out a subset of messages for disfavor based on the views expressed. Here, the disparagement clause identifies the relevant subject as “persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols,” §1052(a); and within that category, an applicant may register a positive or benign mark but not a derogatory one. The law thus reflects the Government’s disapproval of a subset of messages it finds offensive, the essence of viewpoint discrimination. The Government’s arguments in defense of the statute are unpersuasive. Pp. 2–5.
(b) Regardless of whether trademarks are commercial speech, the viewpoint based discrimination here necessarily invokes heightened scrutiny. See Sorrell v. IMS Health Inc., 564 U. S. 552, 566. To the extent trademarks qualify as commercial speech, they are an example of why that category does not serve as a blanket exemption from the First Amendment’s requirement of viewpoint neutrality. In the realm of trademarks, the metaphorical marketplace of ideas becomes a tangible, powerful reality. To permit viewpoint discrimination in
this context is to permit Government censorship.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Jan 9, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Someday I hope we live in a world where there are no regional specific racist slurs and we all agree on an universal set of racist insults.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The Slants is funny because some morons said the name wouldn't be racist if the band wasn't asian.

Also (y1-y0)/(x1-x0) is indeed offensive.(to people bad at math)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The_White_Crane posted:

Racist slurs/stereotypes that could have just slipped quietly into the realm of nonsense are kept alive and hurtful by our continued insistence on making sure everyone knows that they're hurtful.

or... or... orrrrrrrrr... we could stop using those slurs and stereotypes

that would be a p good way of ensuring they’re not kept alive and hurtful

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

poptart_fairy posted:

Part of the reason I'm a little weirded out how "person of colour" and "coloured" have apparently become positive phrases nowadays. When I was growing up they were pretty vile indications the person was racist, being used alongside Paki, etc

I think the phrase "person of color" is weird as poo poo too and I'm absolutely confused as to why I see it so much nowadays.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Nowadays? Bloom County, 1988:

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/03/30/295931070/the-journey-from-colored-to-minorities-to-people-of-color

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

lol that person was an American who had never heard the term and was asking about it. I'd never heard of it either until this thread. You're an rear end in a top hat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I like this idea. Why hasn’t someone told everyone to stop saying those things?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Hey, do you know what helps stop people using them?
If they don't learn new slurs and stereotypes that they didn't previously know about by giant mass media frenzies that bring them to their attention!

I didn't say "people shouldn't stop using them, we should stop complaining when they do", I merely pointed out that pouring huge amounts of attention on them has the negative effect of spreading knowledge of them as well as the positive one of encouraging people not to use them.

But hey, great point you made there! :yeah:

The_White_Crane has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Jan 9, 2018

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Thanks!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Rough Lobster posted:

I think the phrase "person of color" is weird as poo poo too and I'm absolutely confused as to why I see it so much nowadays.

Non-white and minority are the two alternative terms which aren't loaded with enormous amounts of baggage from Jim Crow etc. A lot of activist groups didn't like those terms because they defined POC in terms of what they aren't instead of what they are and encouraged the idea of white being "normal" and not white as "different". This raised the problem of the fact that Asians, Native Americans, Desis, Hispanics, Blacks etc have almost nothing in common in terms of history and culture what with the whole being from completely different parts of the world thing and really only have two things in common: they experience systematic racism in Western countries and they tend to have more melanin that white people. Hence Person of Color, a term that is both terrible and much better than every other option.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The_White_Crane posted:

Hey, do you know what helps stop people using them?
If they don't learn new slurs and stereotypes that they didn't previously know about by giant mass media frenzies that bring them to their attention!

I didn't say "people shouldn't stop using them, we should stop complaining when they do", I merely pointed out that pouring huge amounts of attention on them has the negative effect of spreading knowledge of them as well as the positive one of encouraging people not to use them.

But hey, great point you made there! :yeah:

Your point literally distils to "don’t tell people when someone is using offensive language." I would ask if I have to explain what that’s blazingly dumb, but apparently I actually do. But I’ll keep it short.

Dog whistles and coded language. Also it’s better to know when someone is being a shithead rather than being oblivious just because they’re from a different culture.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

Guarantee that 'person of color' is the phrase that's going to make our generation's grandchildren cringe at us in 50 years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Your point literally distils to "don’t tell people when someone is using offensive language." I would ask if I have to explain what that’s blazingly dumb, but apparently I actually do. But I’ll keep it short.

Dog whistles and coded language. Also it’s better to know when someone is being a shithead rather than being oblivious just because they’re from a different culture.
I think it's reasonable to say the following:

Don't tell people when someone is accidentally using language that's considered offensive elsewhere.

Calling out offensive language is mostly good, but sometimes acts to teach the term to more people. How do we fix this? I have no idea. But it's a downside to easy global communication.

Neither one is saying that you should just let people get away with offensive language.