Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gonz posted:

The guy in charge of the Dreadnaught, Captain Canady, was a miserable, salty old prick in the vein of Brendan Gleeson. (Brendan Gleeson, of course, being Hux’s real life dad)

I wish we could’ve gotten a few more scenes out of him. Dude had a personality.

Yeah, that guy was great. "We need to deploy fighters!...10 minutes ago."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dirk the Average posted:

A cruiser crippled and basically destroyed a ship that dwarfs star destroyers. The difference in cost between the two is staggering. With that kind of effectiveness, you work to actively make those special circumstances happen, and you make giant missiles that are nothing but rocks with shields, engines, power, hyperdrive, and a Droid crew. Expensive, but so much cheaper than a star destroyer.

It was really cool, but also way too effective. I would have liked to see it take out just a portion of the enemy ship to take long range weapons offline and provide enough distraction for Finn and co. to leave.

Droids are sentient. They have fears. They feel pain. Why are you so willing to through their lives away?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

albany academy posted:

I think the ESB instance is forgivable because they were little balls of light and therefore had no contextual relevance and were basically magic. Bomb bays in this movie have nothing to conceal the mechanics of it, so it's open for nitpicking.

And tbh now that you mentioned the gravity inside the bomber, the atmosphere and with the doors open no less, that kind of bothers me a little bit.

Basically if they had always arced or didn't arc in this one, I wouldn't care as much. Consistency is important. And the bombers were dumb as gently caress for a million reasons and seem like a horrible idea just based on looking at the thing.

I forget where I read it but one of the effects people gave an explanation for the The Last Jedi bombers (and I guess the TIE bombers in ESB too) that I guess isn't perfect but I thought was fine for sci-fi movie logic if folks really need an explanation.

It was that the bombs aren't actually "falling" but rather have guidance systems in them that make them fly towards x designated target in unison in y pattern at z frequency to carpet bomb a massive surface area. In the Last Jedi the idea was that they take out the surface guns and that would allow their bombers to do the same to the top side of that massive ship, but out of desperation and the rest of them getting destroyed against the amount of firepower the first order is throwing around we see her basically Hail Mary blast the entire payload out at close range compared to how the bombers would normally be used.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The bombers made complete visual sense and that's what's important.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

:same:

In ESB also, they're clearly bombers dropping bombs that visually look like they're falling. The important part of that scene isn't that they're bombers, it's that we have another instance of Vader's total obsession with capturing everyone on the Falcon so he can get to Luke. And the bombers are part of showing that in a few seconds in a great way because we see that Vader's just cold crashing an entire fleet against an asteroid field for hours both with the bombers and with some of his bigger ships being lost.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 9, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

porfiria posted:

I would say anyone posting here has too much time on their hands, so post away with the mass to energy formulae, I say. It beats rehashing whether or not Qui Gon is a dick for the seven millionth time.
I'm not talking about time spent in discussion, I'm talking about the runtime of a film and time spent playing a game based on it.

If every superhero/space opera/whatever movie justified its magic to the satisfaction of folks like Dirk, they'd all be longer than the workprint of Heaven's Gate.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

euphronius posted:

I mean yeah sure but you'd have to come up with the really wacky explanation as per above your post, or they could have just done the bombers the way they've done them in every other instance of using space bombers thus far and still make a new toy kit for it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wacky explanation ?

Bomb bays doors open-> bombs fall out.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

In space.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not talking about time spent in discussion, I'm talking about the runtime of a film and time spent playing a game based on it.

If every superhero/space opera/whatever movie justified its magic to the satisfaction of folks like Dirk, they'd all be longer than the workprint of Heaven's Gate.

You're projecting a bit much onto me here. I've played Star Wars tabletop games before. I buy into the fiction and I enjoy the universe. This specific thing struck me as disproportionate and against the "rules" as I had understood them.

It was just a bit too far for me too suspend my disbelief.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

No, in the ship, where there's gravity.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

also the force is not real sorry OP

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Were you in the theater expecting the bombs to do what. Hover in place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The movie even leads you to the point by showing you how gravity works in dramatic detail before the bombs are dropped.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The visual guide says they’re magnetic and are drawn down to the hull of whatever they’re aimed at.

Serf
May 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Droids are sentient. They have fears. They feel pain. Why are you so willing to through their lives away?

to be fair, neither the empire nor the rebellion would give one poo poo about the life of a droid

star wars is a fantasy movie

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gonz posted:

The visual guide says they’re magnetic and are drawn down to the hull of whatever they’re aimed at.

Sure, visual guides are where you overexplain poo poo. But for the purposes of the movie, that is 100% not needed.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

euphronius posted:

Were you in the theater expecting the bombs to do what. Hover in place.

Tbh just kind of drift aimlessly or do something that looked more than just falling in space.

My point is that if they were magic blue balls of light like in ESB, any explanation would suffice, whatever, they're clearly operating on fuzzy mechanics I can buy into well enough and don't feel the need to question. By being visually explicit in the mechanics of the bombers and bombs, and rooting said mechanics in arguably more primitive design, it's easier to question it in context of what's been established in universe and get taken out of the story that's unfolding.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So many broken people in this thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right before the bombs fell there was a whole dramatic scene where the woman falls and also the bomb release mechanism falls which all tells you the viewer that things will fall.

Serf
May 5, 2011

albany academy posted:

Tbh just kind of drift aimlessly or do something that looked more than just falling in space.

so you thought that the bombs were going to be released from the bombers, the last one left, and then just... float away, achieving nothing? you thought they set up this entire attack run that destroyed a huge portion of their remaining forces to do something that wouldn't have worked and would never have worked within the "logic" of the movie?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

albany academy posted:

Jesus Christ, there was gravity on the ship, why would they just float there? And after it enters space, they would just keep moving. Because that's what happens to things in space, they keep going the same direction and speed they were already going unless some external force acts upon them.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

albany academy posted:

arguably more primitive design

:psyduck:

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Serf posted:

so you thought that the bombs were going to be released from the bombers, the last one left, and then just... float away, achieving nothing? you thought they set up this entire attack run that destroyed a huge portion of their remaining forces to do something that wouldn't have worked and would never have worked within the "logic" of the movie?

Lol Jesus Christ.

I thought the bombers were dumb and didn't make sense, obviously in the movie they did whatever they were supposed to but I would have preferred the other established approach to bombers in the other movies, like y wings and whatever, because those make more sense the ones in tlj. It's not a huge, significant thing, its just minor nitpicking and I'm amazed that it's even lasted this long as a topic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

So many broken people in this thread

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

albany academy posted:

It's not that I think the movie is bad because of these things, they're minor, but they still bug me and it would have been a pretty simple thing to just not do.

This is from a page back and I swear I'm not trying to start someshit with you but it's also a pretty simple thing to just not care about.

Because when it comes to fantasy sci fi it's just a loving dumb and deep cavernous hole to jump into (but people do it anyway).

Serf
May 5, 2011

albany academy posted:

Lol Jesus Christ.

I thought the bombers were dumb and didn't make sense, obviously in the movie they did whatever they were supposed to but I would have preferred the other established approach to bombers in the other movies, like y wings and whatever, because those make more sense the ones in tlj. It's not a huge, significant thing, its just minor nitpicking and I'm amazed that it's even lasted this long as a topic.

what about the bombers don't make sense? they are bombers. they drop bombs in this movie that is rooted in world war 2 tropes. the only way they could be be closer to actual b-17 flying fortress is if they loving used an actual b-17 flying fortress

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Serf posted:

what about the bombers don't make sense? they are bombers. they drop bombs in this movie that is rooted in world war 2 tropes. the only way they could be be closer to actual b-17 flying fortress is if they loving used an actual b-17 flying fortress

Wasn't there headgear of the crew even straight from ww2.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

They even had ball turret gunners underneath them.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

The thing is it's not really a big deal for me on the whole, I just wasn't really expecting to have to defend why I disliked a small thing in the movies so much. This forum really likes to go for the throat. You don't have to agree with me, but acting like it's literally insane to get a little irked by some design decision is a bit much.

Serf
May 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

Wasn't there headgear of the crew even straight from ww2.

i thought that the woman we see the whole time was wearing the headgear that instantly makes you think of a world war 2 bomber crewmember

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
It woulda been cool and anime If they shot out a billion missiles from those racks straight down

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If you think about it, the entire loving trench run from ANH doesn't even make any sense and was only done as a cool finale and was a near exact copy of the bombing run and a sci fi homage to the movie Dambusters.

The rebels could have just flown in at a trajectory that reduced 99% of that poo poo they had to deal with.

But again, who cares? Cut the chatter because it's loving cool, Red 2.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

It woulda been cool and anime If they shot out a billion missiles from those racks straight down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

albany academy posted:

The thing is it's not really a big deal for me on the whole, I just wasn't really expecting to have to defend why I disliked a small thing in the movies so much. This forum really likes to go for the throat. You don't have to agree with me, but acting like it's literally insane to get a little irked by some design decision is a bit much.

there isn't any more to discuss when someone nitpicks science fiction technology on the level that you're doing because you're engaging with the film on some sort of alternate reality terms--from a reality where there's a theoretical technical manual that rian johnson just forgot to read or something

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah if you accept that every ship has artificial gravity inside there isn't anything strange about the bomber scene. Plus, it's a good scene that wouldn't work if they just copied the old bombs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget where I read it but one of the effects people gave an explanation for the The Last Jedi bombers (and I guess the TIE bombers in ESB too) that I guess isn't perfect but I thought was fine for sci-fi movie logic if folks really need an explanation.

It was that the bombs aren't actually "falling" but rather have guidance systems in them that make them fly towards x designated target in unison in y pattern at z frequency to carpet bomb a massive surface area. In the Last Jedi the idea was that they take out the surface guns and that would allow their bombers to do the same to the top side of that massive ship,

You just described missiles taking out AA guns. This isn't "sci-fi movie logic."

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Yeah, and are we expected to believe that all the aliens on the ship use the same bathrooms to poo poo in?? You'd have to have several bathrooms to accommodate Mon Calamri Shits and C3PO shits and... Ewok shits and whatever. Yet we NEVER get a satisfactory explanation for who shits where. In fact, Johnson is so lazy, he avoids showing making GBS threads altogether!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

mary had a little clam posted:

Yeah, and are we expected to believe that all the aliens on the ship use the same bathrooms to poo poo in?? You'd have to have several bathrooms to accommodate Mon Calamri Shits and C3PO shits and... Ewok shits and whatever. Yet we NEVER get a satisfactory explanation for who shits where. In fact, Johnson is so lazy, he avoids showing making GBS threads altogether!

Instead of showing us where everyone shits, Rian Johnson literally shits all over us, the Star War fans of old! :cry:
:goonsay:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I saw Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi for a second time.

Still drat fine. drat fine indeed.