Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one that always sticks out to me is Murphy Brown, which I've never really seen a lot of, but which won loads of awards and was on TV for 10 years. Who remembers it outside its feud with Dan Quayle nowadays?

For that matter, who even remembers Dan Quayle?

I wonder why a lot of shows that lasted for a while vanish from the public eye. I know NBC ones were because they were filler between popular shows and after they were done they had nothing to hold the interest, but Murphy Brown was kinda big in the day. Maybe it just had its time and in the Clinton era it failed to have a purpose? Maybe it was killed by the ascension of basic cable and the Internet. That really sucked the wind out of network TV's sails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dirksteadfast posted:

Shame on me for posting and running. I believe in the episode Columbo was the only one to bring up the easily changed time stamp, all the other law enforcement didn’t even consider it. It was just an example of people not understanding computers, albeit not an egregious one. Though I’m sure there are procedurals airing right now that still have someone saying dumb things about computers.

According to Wikipedia, the last Columbo special was in 2003, and cops didn't really bother understanding computers until around 2008, so it's not really far fetched.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm kind of curious what is gonna be looked back on today as really loving stupid. Like in 15 years when we find out the cure for cancer is actually powdered Froot Loops and teenagers are confused by all the people dying of cancer in sad movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I wonder why a lot of shows that lasted for a while vanish from the public eye. I know NBC ones were because they were filler between popular shows and after they were done they had nothing to hold the interest, but Murphy Brown was kinda big in the day. Maybe it just had its time and in the Clinton era it failed to have a purpose? Maybe it was killed by the ascension of basic cable and the Internet. That really sucked the wind out of network TV's sails.

I suspect it's a number of factors. When shows get that old they usually lose a lot of steam and people get sick of them by the time they're cancelled, and people probably don't want to watch them again. On top of that they were probably airing in syndication during the original run.

I also get the feeling that the aspect ratio might play a role in it these days. You'll find a lot of older programs on sub-channels like Laff, MeTV, Cozi, etc., because they're all about airing older programs, but your local 4pm to 8pm Fox station is playing the Big Bang Theory and Modern Family because they're in 16:9. I've really only ever noticed old 4:3 programming on local broadcast stations between 11pm and 5am.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Murph had a lot of social commentary that's barely relevant in 2018. It was well-written and well-acted, but you'd need VH1 behind the music slide in notes about how this was something people cared about 30 years ago every other scene.

NIGHT COURT is timeless.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I end up hearing about Murphy Brown all the time when I'm reading trivia about '90s shows I actually care about. But I have absolutely zero idea what it is. I'm broadly aware of a whole ton of late '80s and '90s shows I never watched, just from commercials and stuff, but not that one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wheat Loaf posted:

For that matter, who even remembers Dan Quayle?
Is he still the lowest-score-rank name in Civilization games? That's honestly probably his most enduring cultural legacy somehow.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Sir Lemming posted:

I end up hearing about Murphy Brown all the time when I'm reading trivia about '90s shows I actually care about. But I have absolutely zero idea what it is. I'm broadly aware of a whole ton of late '80s and '90s shows I never watched, just from commercials and stuff, but not that one.

Just read the wikiped, you'll get the idea.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I suspect it's a number of factors. When shows get that old they usually lose a lot of steam and people get sick of them by the time they're cancelled, and people probably don't want to watch them again. On top of that they were probably airing in syndication during the original run.

I also get the feeling that the aspect ratio might play a role in it these days. You'll find a lot of older programs on sub-channels like Laff, MeTV, Cozi, etc., because they're all about airing older programs, but your local 4pm to 8pm Fox station is playing the Big Bang Theory and Modern Family because they're in 16:9. I've really only ever noticed old 4:3 programming on local broadcast stations between 11pm and 5am.

And yet some shows that need to die can't be killed. Like it took less than a year for some asshat channel to put 7th Heaven back on the air and we might finally be seeing the slow death of the Duggars TV empire.

And don't even get me started on Cosby.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think part of it is that TV is incredibly fluid, and is a lot different now than it was 30 years ago.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

And yet some shows that need to die can't be killed. Like it took less than a year for some asshat channel to put 7th Heaven back on the air and we might finally be seeing the slow death of the Duggars TV empire.

And don't even get me started on Cosby.

The problem with programs like 7th Heaven is that it's programming for boring moms. It's incredibly light, ends up with some kind of message, and has a happy ending, so they eat that poo poo up (mine included). I think reruns are still on one of the standard Christian leaning sub-channels, despite the pedophilia.

Reality programming is a blight upon TV because it's incredibly cheap to produce, and there is no shortage of people who would give up their kidneys to be on TV. So when the Duggars are gone, they'll just find someone else

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Put Murphy Brown on Netflix and people will start watching and talking about it again. Our sense of the TV canon is overly shaped by what's available on streaming services right now.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Netflix is just originals and bollywood now.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Put Murphy Brown on Netflix and people will start watching and talking about it again. Our sense of the TV canon is overly shaped by what's available on streaming services right now.

Yeah, honestly, the only thing that's keeping it from being re-released on DVD/streaming is the large amount of Motown songs it used throughout its run. None of these songs were central to story arcs (except for "Natural Woman"), so they could probably mostly be replaced without worrying about the licensing rights to those songs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:agreed:

It's only been the last decade where streaming has had such an impact on what we watch. It's also been about 20 years since cable TV became the norm. Before that you had to watch TV with an antenna, and daytime TV consisted of soap operas or whatever 20 year old reruns the local UHF channels had on. If you didn't want to watch Gilligan's Island or General Hospital, tough poo poo.

Then after Cable came into play it was a lot easier to watch similar programs that were interesting to someone. I do miss the days before I dropped cable, when I could watch the History channel all day on Sunday and it was all history programming. Of course the invention of reality TV made it so now you can just watch Mythbusters or The Property Brothers for 8 hours straight.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lamey_whinehouse posted:

Yeah, honestly, the only thing that's keeping it from being re-released on DVD/streaming is the large amount of Motown songs it used throughout its run. None of these songs were central to story arcs (except for "Natural Woman"), so they could probably mostly be replaced without worrying about the licensing rights to those songs.

But that takes time and effort, and have you ever seen the DVD/streaming version of Married with Children? The intro is exceptionally jarring now.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

A LUST for BUST

Wow there, don't have a Strokeman

Fin Memes are the best.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

Iron Crowned posted:

But that takes time and effort, and have you ever seen the DVD/streaming version of Married with Children? The intro is exceptionally jarring now.

Oh, yeah, that intro is awful.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Ally McBeal is super 90's and young audiences simply wouldn't get Ally as a likeable or a relatable protagonist. A lot of 90's/early 00's stuff has aged particularly poorly for this reason, the cultural zeitgeist has changed so much

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Has the show Herman's Head come up at all?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MariusLecter posted:

Has the show Herman's Head come up at all?

In this thread? No. In general? Also no.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I vaguely remember that show. Wasn't his best friend a sexual deviant and the lady that plays Lisa Simpson was his secretary or something?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
My mom didn't want me to watch Hermans Head so I mostly didnt.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Solice Kirsk posted:

I vaguely remember that show. Wasn't his best friend a sexual deviant and the lady that plays Lisa Simpson was his secretary or something?

Yeah they have Lisa reference Herman's Head in one old episode. There's something that hasn't aged well, a Simpsons cast member having to take other jobs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

From the last page, but you guys talking about how you never meet Columbo's wife know she had her own spinoff series, right? You never see her in Columbo itself but she's played by Kate Mulgrew in "Mrs. Columbo". It had two seasons.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

food court bailiff posted:

From the last page, but you guys talking about how you never meet Columbo's wife know she had her own spinoff series, right? You never see her in Columbo itself but she's played by Kate Mulgrew in "Mrs. Columbo". It had two seasons.

You never see Peter Falk in Mrs. Columbo, but it’s done much worse because their kid is always "Where’s dad?"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just assumed Columbo talking about his wife was an euphemism for walking his dog.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Season 1 of Bob's Burgers: In this episode Bob becomes the pimp of several transgendered sex workers. Do you get it? They're trans prostitutes. See? They're whores AND they're trans. AND BOB'S THEIR PIMP lol.

Except that episode was an early sign of where the show was going because Bob is basically fine with that part. The family is pretty nonjudgmental about it and the trans prostitutes are portrayed fairly positively.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't the best friend played by Hank Azaria?

I remember liking HH, but I doubt I would today. And then Pixar completely stole the concept.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Except that episode was an early sign of where the show was going because Bob is basically fine with that part. The family is pretty nonjudgmental about it and the trans prostitutes are portrayed fairly positively.
BFD seems to have massively misunderstood the show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Iron Crowned posted:

Is that the generic version of the original song? I got the complete series box set and it had the original version restored.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is that the generic version of the original song? I got the complete series box set and it had the original version restored.

It’s a horrible midi version of Love and Marriage. I used to have the DVDs and it was kinda sad that the theme tune had gone. I liked it.

A few shows in the UK have different theme tunes. House has some godawful screechy music. When I was over in the US and they were using Teardrop I was like ‘ooh, this is much better’.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FactsAreUseless posted:

BFD seems to have massively misunderstood the show.

I attempted to make a joke about how much the shows attitudes has flipped and those 2 episodes were the most direct points of comparison because they had the same subject matter. I guess it misfired, sorry. That episode actually is one of the better S1 episodes especially compared to Louise making absolutely sure Hugo understands the great piece of pedophile wordplay her dad cooked up in the pilot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

SEX BURRITO posted:

It’s a horrible midi version of Love and Marriage. I used to have the DVDs and it was kinda sad that the theme tune had gone. I liked it.

I always wondered what Sinatra thought about the show.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Mister Kingdom posted:

I always wondered what Sinatra thought about the show.

Not enough wife-beating

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

I just assumed Columbo talking about his wife was an euphemism for walking his dog.

Yeah, I thought his wife was just a trick to lure the murderers into a sense of security. Columbo is mostly unassuming and it's hard to take someone talking about their family members that seriously when they're investigating you. It buys into the whole mentality of Columbo playing at being a dimwit when he's really just annoying them into giving him more and more information. You rarely ever see him get pissed except for the pilot episode and that one with Leonard Nimoy as a surgeon.

Also, didn't Mrs. Columbo undergo a few name changes once people started realizing the idea of exploring Columbo's wife was a blind alley? Not that Kate Mulgrew wasn't a good choice, but the '70s was no time to identify a character by her married status.

Choco1980 posted:

Wasn't the best friend played by Hank Azaria?

I remember liking HH, but I doubt I would today. And then Pixar completely stole the concept.

Yup. I like to think that Fox in the very beginning just had a handful of decent actors and reused them over and over again.

SEX BURRITO posted:

It�s a horrible midi version of Love and Marriage. I used to have the DVDs and it was kinda sad that the theme tune had gone. I liked it.

A few shows in the UK have different theme tunes. House has some godawful screechy music. When I was over in the US and they were using Teardrop I was like �ooh, this is much better�.

Yeah, I'm glad Mill Creek got the rights to the theme song. The show without it is a bit more dire without the juxtaposition of the jaunty music that underlines just how much the entire family hates each other.

Also, here's one thing that didn't age well: the intro itself. I was watching a DVD of Bosom Buddies (which also had its Billy Joel song replaced with....something lame I can't remember) and the entire loving intro went on for a full minute. Nowadays that can't even happen unless you're a drama, but for a half-hour TV show? That's a good sign of just how much commercials took over in the coming decades along with how lazy a lot of sitcom writing has gotten.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm waiting for Lucy to be on Netflix.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Also, here's one thing that didn't age well: the intro itself. I was watching a DVD of Bosom Buddies (which also had its Billy Joel song replaced with....something lame I can't remember) and the entire loving intro went on for a full minute. Nowadays that can't even happen unless you're a drama, but for a half-hour TV show? That's a good sign of just how much commercials took over in the coming decades along with how lazy a lot of sitcom writing has gotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW1PqGsuXPM

That does indeed suck.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Yeah, I thought his wife was just a trick to lure the murderers into a sense of security. Columbo is mostly unassuming and it's hard to take someone talking about their family members that seriously when they're investigating you. It buys into the whole mentality of Columbo playing at being a dimwit when he's really just annoying them into giving him more and more information. You rarely ever see him get pissed except for the pilot episode and that one with Leonard Nimoy as a surgeon.

Supposedly Peter Falk himself didn't believe that Columbo's wife even existed until the Cruise Ship episode confirmed she was real. I think you're right though that every fact about her beyond her existence that he tells is a lie. There's no way she is a fan of or interested in the work of every single person her husband investigates for murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think they had Mulgrew's character reference no longer being married to him in the 2nd season

Edit: Yep.

quote:

The show received poor ratings, however, and as part of efforts to revamp it, the linkage between this Kate Columbo and the Mrs. Columbo of the original television series was reduced. The name of the character was changed to Kate Callahan after an off-screen divorce, and the series was renamed Kate the Detective[when?], followed by Kate Loves a Mystery[when?].

In this ultimate incarnation, the producers completed their retreat from the show's original premise, and Kate Callahan was then regarded as being a completely different character than Mrs. Columbo of Columbo, Kate's ex-husband now named Philip.[3] None of the changes aided the new show's ratings, however, and it was pulled from the air in 1980, after 13 episodes.

Peter Falk expressed his disapproval of the spin-off, calling it a "bad idea" and "disgraceful".[4] When Columbo returned to the air in 1989 on ABC, it was further established that Lt. Columbo and his wife Mrs. Columbo were still happily married and the existence of the series Mrs. Columbo was effectively ignored.

I feel like a Columbo thread wouldn't hurt in TVIV....but OTOH, it's TVIV.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Jan 10, 2018