Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

docbeard posted:

Except this time the dumb assholes have money and media access and largely are the media themselves. Personally, I think what's happening is that the media finally worked out that Donald Trump is at least partly their fault and this is their idea of 'using their powers for good'.

But yeah, Oprah is rich, she's charismatic, she's popular, and she knows how to work a crowd, so she has pretty much every advantage Trump did and some he didn't (like not being transparently a cartoon supervillain, though I'm sure not super enamored of her Prosperity Gospel With The Christian Serial Numbers Filed Off philosophy).

Nothing's inevitable, but take this seriously.

i mean im fully prepared to admit im thinking pre-escalator here but from where im sitting its another example of one of those stupid news-cycles where Politico or the Hill squeeze out a clickbait turd, which sets hair-trigger twitter people off into screaming matches, which are then reported on in more clickbait, und so weiter until we all drown in great boiling torrents of piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/SenKamalaHarris/status/950822069188603904

are they #withher?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yaassss queen PREACH

https://twitter.com/LizWFB/status/950762955599241216

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oh Snapple! posted:

that took me to a p. good twitter thread actually

https://twitter.com/shailjapatel/status/950315667978416128

And completely unsurprisingly the comments are full of broke-brained white liberals who accuse this lady of lying and secret racism.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

docbeard posted:

Except this time the dumb assholes have money and media access and largely are the media themselves. Personally, I think what's happening is that the media finally worked out that Donald Trump is at least partly their fault and this is their idea of 'using their powers for good'.

But yeah, Oprah is rich, she's charismatic, she's popular, and she knows how to work a crowd, so she has pretty much every advantage Trump did and some he didn't (like not being transparently a cartoon supervillain, though I'm sure not super enamored of her Prosperity Gospel With The Christian Serial Numbers Filed Off philosophy).

Nothing's inevitable, but take this seriously.

maybe she doesn't run

I mean she's riding on #metoo, but in the world of TRUMP a lot of things change by mid 2019, lenin's saying about decades happen in weeks and all that

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

God drat I wish she'd just break her neck trying to Scrooge McDuck her way through her vault of gold.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
also another celebrity presidency instead of a genuine Warren-Sanders progressive president makes me want to retch a little, but then I remember that the presidency doesn't do all that much and if Oprah (D) is in office she'll prob signs w/e congress puts in front of her

nah
Mar 16, 2009

future President and Vice President. and let me stop you right there: it's KAMALA who will be the President!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

comedyblissoption posted:

you are right that institutions, even democratic ones like worker co-ops, that focus on maximizing personal profit above all else is problematic

even in a society where you create something close to a utopian ideal of allocating labor to meet the needs of society optimally above any other goal, you may still want money as a means of exchange and allocating labor

I don't have a problem with allocating social labor or its products according to how much labor they do. In fact, I don't see that going away for a very long time.

My critique is when that allocation is allowed to circulate, it directly rewards (& therefore incentivizes) market share domination, and therefore privatization of the MOP & surplus value extraction.

Like if you can double your wage from your co-op by having your co-op doubling its market share, it's in your best interest to extract value from yourself to put into improving the productivity of specifically your own co-op and hiring security to make sure the advancements don't leave. Other options involve finding loopholes to take the advancements from other co-ops or sabotaging them. Also, you can just invest in marketing to increase demand of specifically your own commodities.

And the worst part is, even if every single co-op agrees not to do this, except for one, that one will eventually run the others out of business and/or making them have to compromise in other ways (and be shittier for it). And then 100% of the co-ops will be lovely/shittier than before. Then repeat every time a co-op decides to increase their slice of the pie. That's why it's not a structural change.

Ruzihm has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Jan 9, 2018

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NancyPelosi/status/949395463119278082

:laffo:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

i mean im fully prepared to admit im thinking pre-escalator here but from where im sitting its another example of one of those stupid news-cycles where Politico or the Hill squeeze out a clickbait turd, which sets hair-trigger twitter people off into screaming matches, which are then reported on in more clickbait, und so weiter until we all drown in great boiling torrents of piss

nah that's basically it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

also another celebrity presidency instead of a genuine Warren-Sanders progressive president makes me want to retch a little, but then I remember that the presidency doesn't do all that much and if Oprah (D) is in office she'll prob signs w/e congress puts in front of her

well well, where have i heard this one before

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is it possible to legislate workplace democracy into existence?
No. People need to believe that they need workplace democracy first. After that, you could talk about the government providing capital for worker co-ops. An example of such proposals is Jeremy Corbyn's policy of the right of first refusal.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like, I get it - you should be electing your boss, you should be able to recall your boss, and decisions about running a business should be done with the democratic consent of the workers, and all that, but short of the revolutionary model where the means of production are seized and redistributed to the workers, how do you get from here to there?
You need belief of the workers first. Then you need capital. Then the workers form a worker co-op. I don't think it's as easy as Richard Wolff says, but here's methods of acquiring capital that Richard Wolff describes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87395oUPDR0

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do you say, in legislative terms, that businesses are obliged to be run democratically, or that every business needs to be a worker co-op? Is that even possible? Is that Constitutional (lol as if it matters)? Is that even a practical goal to pursue at some point?
In theory you could write legislation to organize society however you wanted if most people are willing to submit to the legislation. Legislation is the wrong thing to focus on. What you want to focus on is changing peoples' beliefs. Belief shapes the world.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

fits my needs posted:

why are so many suckzoners concentrated in the Northeast? :bernin:
The US beyond new england is a land of madness and insanity.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cerebral Bore posted:

well well, where have i heard this one before

TRUMP (R) is absolutely signing w/e Ryan and McConnell put in front of him

Executive Orders are another matter but I doubt Oprah is gonna executive order open borders or something because she doesn't care enough

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i humbly volunteer to be Oprah's Steve Miller and in preparation for this role i am engaging in a strenuous regimen of drinking lead paint and bulging my forehead out at myself in the mirror

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

i humbly volunteer to be Oprah's Steve Miller and in preparation for this role i am engaging in a strenuous regimen of drinking lead paint and bulging my forehead out at myself in the mirror

does Oprah also have shady money laundering schemes connected to foreign governments happening in the background for the last 25 years or so?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ThndrShk2k posted:

hahaha I would rather :tif: in :ca:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

ThndrShk2k posted:

Maine shifted from D+15 in 2012 to D+2 in 2016

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ruzihm posted:

I don't have a problem with allocating social labor or its products according to how much labor they do. In fact, I don't see that going away for a very long time.

My critique is when that allocation is allowed to circulate, it directly rewards (& therefore incentivizes) market share domination, and therefore privatization of the MOP & surplus value extraction.

Like if you can double your wage from your co-op by having your co-op doubling its market share, it's in your best interest to extract value from yourself to put into improving the productivity of specifically your own co-op and hiring security to make sure the advancements don't leave. Other options involve finding loopholes to take the advancements from other co-ops or sabotaging them. Also, you can just invest in marketing to increase demand of specifically your own commodities.

And the worst part is, even if every single co-op agrees not to do this, except for one, that one will eventually run the others out of business and/or making them have to compromise in other ways (and be shittier for it). And then 100% of the co-ops will be lovely/shittier than before. Then repeat every time a co-op decides to increase their slice of the pie. That's why it's not a structural change.
you are absolutely right that adversarial market economies have inherent systemic problems

getting to more democratic ownership of the economic institutions is still much better than our present undemocratic situation

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

a true leftist paradise*

*must be white to participate

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Typo posted:

does Oprah also have shady money laundering schemes connected to foreign governments happening in the background for the last 25 years or so?

given how rich she is its probably inevitable, but unfortunately not as glorious as Trump having a guy named Joey No-Socks on call to make up fake awards for his properties

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Typo posted:

Because democrats are by default progressive?

Maine also has the other independent senator
Maine also doesn't allow people smoking in cars with kids and bunch of other weird rules you'd expect to see in someplace like California.
Maine also splits it's EV and 3 of them are for portland/augusta area that went Dem.

Like it or not, it's a hell of a lot more progressive than even so-called blue states.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Typo posted:

maybe she doesn't run

I think this is most likely. Running for President is a shitload of hard work, grueling scheduling and endless meetings. I think Oprah probably wouldn't want to bother with all that, considering she already wields so much power without even being a politician.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really believe in "pre-escalator" as a thing; Trump's not even the first U.S. politician to go from celebrity life to politics and certainly not the first to go from independent wealth to politics, and he absolutely won't be the last (unless he's the last president at all). He's not even the first with an anti-mattering field; consider how Slick Willie got that nickname.

Personal charisma and showmanship are the primary determiners of who gets into public office and always have been.

But Typo's right too; 2020 may as well be a trillion years from now, as far as our ability to predict what it will look like goes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

And yeah, there's a reasonable chance she doesn't actually want to run for president, and she's got no real need to.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

ThndrShk2k posted:

Maine also doesn't allow people smoking in cars with kids and bunch of other weird rules you'd expect to see in someplace like California.
Maine also splits it's EV and 3 of them are for portland/augusta area that went Dem.

Like it or not, it's a hell of a lot more progressive than even so-called blue states.

I don't know enough about maine domestic politics, how does it compare to say New York or Washington?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
2020 begins in mid-2019, which is practically tomorrow.

Oprah even being hinted at running should scare everyone and we should shut it down ASAP

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah i mean when you get right down to it, watching Trump should be all the proof you need that only a tremendous mark would give up the cush life of wielding influence through tv shows to become president

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Typo posted:

I don't know enough about maine domestic politics, how does it compare to say New York or Washington?

well New York is garbage so I’m sure it’s better then that.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Typo posted:

I don't know much about New York or Washington local politics, but I do know that Maine is as progressive in many fields if not more than most states outside of new england, usually one of the first to adopt many safety laws.

Mostly because hippies and old people live up here so family and health stuff like that are of importance lol.

Also most of the Dem candidates that run in Maine are a huge loving waste and seem like overly liberal cityslick grifters. Just inject like 100 bernie clones and they'll get elected in landslides all across the state I poo poo you not.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ThndrShk2k posted:

grocery store express lanes in maine say 10 items or fewer ergo it's the best

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Because I know everyone cares: the D&D take appears to be that the idea that anyone wants Oprah to run for President is a Republican lie

which is actually a relief to hear :unsmith:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

Because I know everyone cares: the D&D take appears to be that the idea that anyone wants Oprah to run for President is a Republican lie

~common ground~

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
if Maine is so drat liberal explain LePage

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

fits my needs posted:

Why do I gotta explain the entire teaparty movement that installed proto-trump?

:confused:

I'm pretty sure the 2016 election basically gave the most concise explanation anyway

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

fits my needs posted:

He got into office chiefly because of a schism that split the left/center-left/center vote, allowing him to skate with only 38% of the vote in 2010, and again with 48% in 2014.

State baddems of course claim this proves that the left is toxic and should sit down and shut up.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
If america is so liberal why Trump? :smuggo:

Checkmate
:goonsay:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loquacius posted:

A clock so broken as to be pulverized into dust can be blown into a shape resembling the proper hour, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ThndrShk2k posted:

ahahahahahaha

• Locked thread