Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Jikes posted:

The price of bitcoin is still bouncing around like a tennis ball. I'm glad I sold out, just trying to follow it was exhausting. I don't know how the people who have serious money in it do it. Maybe it's a thrill ride if you're playing with money you can lose, but if my 401k was in bitcoin I'd have a bleeding ulcer inside of a week.

If you never cash out, you never lose money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
has anyone made animecoin yet

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pochoclo posted:

If you never cash out, you never lose money

Just like in real stocks! Bitcoin is *LEGIT as gently caress* now!

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

jimmyjams posted:

I'll buy in if you do.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jimmyjams posted:

animecoin is booming my friend

Keli
Dec 30, 2017
I can offer you "Waifucoin" for small price of $20 000

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
https://www.ft.com/content/8c650b4c-f564-11e7-8715-e94187b3017e

Shares in Kodak, the photography company which has struggled to keep pace with changing technology, surged around 40 per cent on Tuesday after the 129-year-old group announced it was launching a blockchain business.

The New York state-based company announced that it was partnering with WENN Digital, part of the London-headquartered WENN media organisation, to create an encrypted digital ledger of ownership rights for photographers, using blockchain — the technology which underpins cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Hahaha it's up 126%

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=fin&q=NYSE:+KODK

Crypto is not a mania because

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
At this point expect any company in its death throes to suddenly announce "BLOCKCHAIN!!!" to get some free idiotsmart money

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Inept posted:

Hahaha it's up 126%

Because obviously it is not and you are just jealous and number goes up and I won and HODL. This time, it is different.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

------

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Inept posted:

Hahaha it's up 126%

Found this gem in an article about it:

quote:

“This is getting ridiculous,” said Dennis Dick, a proprietary trader at Bright Trading LLC in Las Vegas. “From a fundamental point of view, none of this makes sense.”

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Arrival was okay but the revelation was kinda weak

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Let’s get tangled!

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
lol

I just warranty deeded my house into an Ethereum smart contract. AMA

quote:

So we've now formed a startup company to bring this technology to the masses. We plan on building the coolest web3 app you've ever seen for real estate management through smart trusts. Everything from buying / selling, auctions, HELOC alternatives, RIET alternatives, options markets, and much more. We will be doing an ICO very soon.

We will offer trustee services, with E&O insurance and bonding. We will offer 'blockchain notary' services for appraisal information, and more. We will have a completely hands-off lending smart contract that can auto-lend money against hundreds of pieces of property at a time... all within LTV amounts that you're comfortable with...

We will be working on a streamlined process so that anyone can get a blockchain loan to buy ANY house on the market (i.e. not already in a smart trust).

We are working on using DAI stabletoken for debt secured by real estate. So that the debt is stable and pegged to USD.

And much, much, more! If you're interested in getting more involved in the project then Direct Message me on our hubchat community at https://smartlaw.hub.chat/

https://np.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/7p155y/i_just_warranty_deeded_my_house_into_an_ethereum/

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I'm the government office employee calling security on a bitcoiner while they angrily wave around their ethereum smart contract insisting they bought the house from a stranger on the internet and they have the papers to prove it... if only you install the blockchain

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Andy Dufresne posted:

lol

I just warranty deeded my house into an Ethereum smart contract. AMA

My only regret is that I have but one house to give for crypto

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

So how am I supposed to tell which crypto is going to be the one true crypto to end cryptos? Or do I just have to accept them all and spend all my fiat dollars on buying as much hard drive space as I can to store all the block chains necessary to keep track of my money?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
what happens if your house token gets forked

can you double spend your house

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
There's a /r/law thread commenting on the previously quoted post and it features this gem:

quote:

I'm reminded of the old "to a man with a hammer. . ." adage about everything looking like a nail.

Only that's not really it, is it? It's more like a man who has invented an enormously expensive and incredibly heavy industrial machine that can join boards together with nails that are impossible to remove. It operates on a massive framework of girders controlled by a centralized computer. It can drive a nail at any point, in any direction, in three dimensions, within that framework of girders. Sounds cool, right?

Thing is, it's no faster than a man with a hammer, let alone a man with a pneumatic nail gun. It can't drive nails through materials that a hammer couldn't. The nails it uses are just as susceptible to squeaking as the boards around them age and weather. It doesn't make boards any stronger. It doesn't line up boards for you, and doesn't make boards any easier to line up. It can't be programmed to drive nails automatically; each and every nail must be manually fired from the computer. It provides no special advantages in identifying where nails are supposed to go. It only has one firing mechanism, and you can't set up more than one in a given area. And if you make a mistake lining up the boards before pulling the trigger, there's no way of correcting it. You either deal with it as-is, or you throw everything out and start over.

The only undeniable advantage is that it pretty much always drives nails the whole way in, the first time, without bending them. But even that's not guaranteed, as the user has no way of ensuring that either the boards or the nails themselves are completely free from defects.

But the inventor swears this is such a categorical improvement over regular hammers that it is the inevitable wave of the future. Only a matter of time before it's adopted by carpenters world-wide. Honest! Nevermind the fact that he introduced it a decade ago and no carpenters anywhere have expressed any interest in it whatsoever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pochoclo posted:

At this point expect any company in its death throes to suddenly announce "BLOCKCHAIN!!!" to get some free idiotsmart money

chapter 777: Blockchaindisruptcy!!!!

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Holy poo poo that Kodak bitcoin news is actually amazing

https://twitter.com/chrisbhoffman/status/950861459302445056

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

It's not too late to change the forums to somethingblockchain.com and make us relevant again

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ONE (1) bitcoin transaction now farts as much CO2 into the atmosphere as a typical passenger car does driving 40 miles.

The energy footprint of the Bitcoin Network for processing transactions is well over a thousand times that of Visa's, in spite of having orders of magnitude fewer transactions to process.

This is basically "rolling coal" for Extremely Online Libertarian tech nerds, and we need to pull the plug.

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

lazorexplosion posted:

It's not too late to change the forums to somethingblockchain.com and make us relevant again

mods? lowtax?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Wrote up today's entire Kodak shitshow. Someone also got screenshots of the coin site before they put up the "coming soon" splash. You will lol.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

divabot posted:

Wrote up today's entire Kodak shitshow. Someone also got screenshots of the coin site before they put up the "coming soon" splash. You will lol.

That’s awesome! Thx

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Genderfluent posted:

Holy poo poo that Kodak bitcoin news is actually amazing

https://twitter.com/chrisbhoffman/status/950861459302445056

Lmao

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

divabot posted:

So they are putting stock photo information on the blockchain because???

e: Also better hope KodakCoin isn't as volatile as every other crypto

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

because

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

lazorexplosion posted:

Imagine if we had changed the name to BlockchainAwful.com 8 years ago when bitcoin came out - we would have like 100x the users

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

lol

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

How risky is it to short Kodak at this point? Like it’s obviously going in the gutter at some point but how long will the hype superinflate the stock?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

Long Blockchain Corp is still kicking along.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 10, 2018

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Is there a list of companies that have rebranded or embraced blockchain and saw a stock jump?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Going long on Kodak at this point is literally playing Russian Roulette with your money, but worst case scenario is you just lose all of it due to Kodak declaring bankruptcy (like they already did a couple years ago, by the way) - I'd be tempted to put in a token £100 just for the thrill ride.

Shorting, though? That's several orders of magnitude beyond bonkers, since you can lose a lot more than you put in when shorting a stock.

And I'm pretty sure we'll see a lot of desperate companies do this poo poo in the coming weeks, until it becomes such a tired play that it stops having any effect.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yea probably better buying options, worst case they expire worthless rather than leading to you owing infinite dollars.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
well at least Jamie fessed up to being wrong

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/950761612352409601

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000