Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

GrandpaPants posted:

Do you mean released in the past year or had their campaign?

For the latter, Brass had a very successful campaign.

Had their campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My Raging Heroes stuff finally showed up!

It's incredibly overdue, but the quality is pretty amazing.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
happy new year nerds

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/197523193/infinite-galaxies-core-rules

quote:

nfinite Galaxies is a science-fiction role playing game of epic adventure for 3-6 players. The game is based on the Apocalypse engine with some cool tweaks to better model stuff like star ship combat, robots, aliens and other hallmarks of Sci-Fi!

You can view the current quick play packet at InfiniteGalaxies.net under the downloads section!

Disclosure: I know the editor but it looks like a fun and light PBTA game. I'm backing it.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

clockworkjoe posted:

happy new year nerds

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/197523193/infinite-galaxies-core-rules

Disclosure: I know the editor but it looks like a fun and light PBTA game. I'm backing it.

To be honest, it seems a bit flavorless to me. As well, using the D&D stats and the DW Defy Danger is a bit of a PBtA design red flag.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

BinaryDoubts posted:

To be honest, it seems a bit flavorless to me. As well, using the D&D stats and the DW Defy Danger is a bit of a PBtA design red flag.

!!! In a sci-fi game? Who cares about your STR and CON when you're off in space fighting aliens in power armor?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

NEW SYSTEMS posted:

Scenes

In Infinite Galaxies, the story is broken down into scenes, discrete chunks of the story. A run through a crumbling hallway on a derelict space station, working out what all those weird gears do on that ancient alien door, or a space combat.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh…

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It looks okay, but yeah, doesn't seem particularly inspired and the D&D stats are a little mystifying. I really enjoyed Uncharted Worlds for my PBTA space opera and this doesn't do much interesting that it doesn't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I back Spirits of the Forest because it looks really nice and pretty, and it’s pretty cheap.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On a more positive note, I ended up backing Black Hole Council and Moveable Type 2e, since they both looked pretty enjoyable.

Also Darkest Night 2e just arrived from China, after the loving debacle that was the miniatures has been resolved. I'm so glad I skipped those, goddamn.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I got my copy of Star Without Number Revised Edition today and it is a gorgeous book. The art is fantastic and the book itself is really well made.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Got my copy of Kitchen Rush. It is indeed pretty fun as advertised and quite challenging. Definitely a much better buy than Wok Star.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Modiphus's John Carter of Mars Kickstarter just went up. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/john-carter-of-mars-the-roleplaying-game

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The_Doctor posted:

I back Spirits of the Forest because it looks really nice and pretty, and it’s pretty cheap.

A gorgeous (third) re-implementation of a Michael Schacht set collection game? Yes PLEASE.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So Western Legends seems like a interesting sand box Western game that I’m tempted to back.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

malkav11 posted:

Got my copy of Kitchen Rush. It is indeed pretty fun as advertised and quite challenging. Definitely a much better buy than Wok Star.

I was amazed at how well it was packaged. One corner of my shipping box was ripped open and it had been punctured several times, but the game box is pristine and didn't even have the shrinkwrap ripped. Kudos to whoever shipped it.

Hopefully I'll be able to try it tonight!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Serf posted:

I got my copy of Star Without Number Revised Edition today and it is a gorgeous book. The art is fantastic and the book itself is really well made.

Yeah game's good and book's pretty and that aside I'm reading through the world and solar system type descriptions and it's a really good resource for any kind of sci-fi game at all

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 10, 2018

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This looks really good but I'll probably wait to pick it up since their games can be hit or miss. I'm a bit indifferent on their system and Onyx Path has their own Mars game that they kickstarted recently, Cavaliers of Mars, so I'll wait to see which is better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are Onyx Path regressive abuse apologists? I have lost track.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No, probably not.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Subjunctive posted:

Are Onyx Path regressive abuse apologists? I have lost track.

Didn't they hire Zack S?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Covok posted:

Didn't they hire Zack S?

Yes. Holden Shearer has made some grave-sounding accusations, but I don’t know how credible he or she is.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Covok posted:

Didn't they hire Zack S?

No. Not at all. They lost an employee due to Zak S harassment in fact. You should do like rudimentary fact checking before spreading poo poo like that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MollyMetroid posted:

No. Not at all.

Ugh, I confused them with White Wolf. My bad.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Here's the breakdown as I grasp it.

New White Wolf = 90s Edgelords who write about Full rear end Rape Stiffness, hire people who write thinly veiled takes on their trans enemies into the games as serial killers using transphobic stereotypes (but also a transwoman who unfortunately got caught in the crossfire), and think LARPing is the best thing ever and that the entire game system and setting should be oriented around it first. Stands behind its employees, which should be good, but isn't because the ones they stand behind are abusers, harassers, etcetera. Chose to republish a convicted pedophile's so-so, non-essential story collection (well, in fairness, he was only the editor) as their first official publication, putting fresh royalties in the dude's pockets.

Old White Wolf = please come back, benign neglectful CPP subsidiary

Onyx Path Publishing = Mostly okay, slightly sleazy in its pay practices but not significantly above industry standards, tends to fire abusers and rapists rather than doubling down and going 'well, if you were really mature...' at those who raise the issue but stands behind employees otherwise unless they break a contract. Did publish Beast, though.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cavaliers of Mars is also Rose Bailey's project so it's far from regressive. It's also got nothing to do with White Wolf since it's an "original" property.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Subjunctive posted:

Yes. Holden Shearer has made some grave-sounding accusations, but I don’t know how credible he or she is.

Holden is male and the literal opposite of credible; he throws poo poo at Onyx Path because he got fired for not delivering on time, then complained about not getting paid for work that he was neither asked for nor contracted for, and continues to throw poo poo to cover for being best friends with sexual harasser John Morke.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
The Broken World kickstarter (a somewhat stalled goon project, not to be confused with Broken Worlds by Abbadon which is a K6BD: RPG) recently posted a backer-only New Year update.
I donated to the author privately back in 2015 and thus do not count as a backer; could anyone please share the update's contents?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Foglet posted:

The Broken World kickstarter (a somewhat stalled goon project, not to be confused with Broken Worlds by Abbadon which is a K6BD: RPG) recently posted a backer-only New Year update.
I donated to the author privately back in 2015 and thus do not count as a backer; could anyone please share the update's contents?

Ah that's a pity, I remember the game going up and though the art was brilliant (and the 'post-apocalyptic dungeon world' pitch was amusing). Shame it's stalled out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Foglet posted:

It's supposed to be going to the printers this month.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's supposed to be going to the printers this month.

Prepare to be disappointed, though. The opinions of dungeon world have changed a lot. I think most people would not welcome a game that is the themes of Apocalypse World using dungeon world's core moves.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Flavivirus posted:

Ah that's a pity, I remember the game going up and though the art was brilliant (and the 'post-apocalyptic dungeon world' pitch was amusing). Shame it's stalled out.

You’re not kidding. That art is really endearing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Prepare to be disappointed, though. The opinions of dungeon world have changed a lot. I think most people would not welcome a game that is the themes of Apocalypse World using dungeon world's core moves.

Oh, I'm sure it's not going to be worth the wait. We all know that the general understanding of "PbtA technology" has changed in the past few years.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Covok posted:

How has it changed, if I csn ask? Is it just more discerning tastes in thr PbtA community, or has the system itself shown flaws with age?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Bee posted:

How has it changed, if I csn ask? Is it just more discerning tastes in thr PbtA community, or has the system itself shown flaws with age?
Kinda both. There's more understanding now about how to adjust moves to encourage a specific type of fiction, the issue that Defy Danger is so general it could apply to anything, the use of D&D stats even though they don't do anything, the fact that like half the Fighter's moves are about boosting damage in a system where monster HP tops out at 20, stuff like that.

I will still defend it, though, as the best way to get 3.Path people into more indie games. I've run dozens of demos at conventions and seeing people's reactions to things like "we made everyone's characters in ten minutes" and just being able to do cool stuff without having to consult a pile of books is great.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

This looks really good but I'll probably wait to pick it up since their games can be hit or miss. I'm a bit indifferent on their system and Onyx Path has their own Mars game that they kickstarted recently, Cavaliers of Mars, so I'll wait to see which is better.

That and Modiphius overpromise and underdeliver on their kickstarters (plus refusing refunds until threatened with legal action).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

PST posted:

That and Modiphius overpromise and underdeliver on their kickstarters (plus refusing refunds until threatened with legal action).

Infinity Kickstarter should've delivered Feb 2016. Backers got the corebook PDF in July 2017, physicals went out in October. Of the 18 sourcebooks promised, we've seen gently caress-all.

I mean, they'll happen eventually. The Mutant Chronicles sourcebooks came out, though it took three years past the due date.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Isn't that on Corvus Belli? I remember something about them needing to micro approve every line of fluff and being really slow about it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DigitalRaven posted:

Infinity Kickstarter should've delivered Feb 2016. Backers got the corebook PDF in July 2017, physicals went out in October. Of the 18 sourcebooks promised, we've seen gently caress-all.

I mean, they'll happen eventually. The Mutant Chronicles sourcebooks came out, though it took three years past the due date.

I don't know if it was 7th Sea that set the tenor of that trend but Kickstarters need to stop promising an entire line of books for under $100 and within a year or two. As a consumer I'm fine with the value and 7th Sea delivered in that instance but it's unrealistic.

moths posted:

Isn't that on Corvus Belli? I remember something about them needing to micro approve every line of fluff and being really slow about it.

Possibly but in their defense I think most of the staff speak Spanish as their first language.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I don't know if it was 7th Sea that set the tenor of that trend but Kickstarters need to stop promising an entire line of books for under $100 and within a year or two. As a consumer I'm fine with the value and 7th Sea delivered in that instance but it's unrealistic.
Maybe. I think Fate Core was the very first ever-ballooning RPG project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

Yeah, Corvis Belli is a tiny, tiny company that has a full plate just doing infinity. They are really protective of the IP, so having to OK everything definitely slowed it down a ton.

I think it will lead to a much better game long term, but having to rewrite large sections of text based on facts about the universe never publicly revealed makes it hard on outside writers. But having to think about lots of minutia about the setting that wouldn't come up in the context of a war game is great for the setting.