Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Scipiotik posted:

Latest ideas up for review were revealed.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/eb30a864-2ad5-46d9-804b-121383e684df

While the boathouse, lighthouse and dive shop are all cool I don't think any will make it. And it is stupid to have 3 from the same designer (who already got the fishing store).

Pop up book is the neatest idea. Car looks good. I have no idea what they'll pick.

Ship in a bottle is also coming soon according to the e-mail.

Pop-Up Book: A nice-looking set, small, easily customizable to Lego's marketing interest, has some play value, and license-free. I think it actually has a pretty good chance.
Boat House Diner: Neat looking, but I can't see them giving it to the Fishing Store guy again.
The Lighthouse: Same as before.
Jaguar E-type Roadster: Licensing, and it's not really a unique looking car which is probably what got the Caterham its win.
The Dive Shop: Third verse, same as the first.
RuPaul's Brick Race: Not a chance.
Lego Christmas Story House: Kinda bland-looking on the outside, but the interior isn't bad. However, it looks like a lot of pieces. I'm not sure how much draw the movie has outside of America.

I can totally see the Pop-Up Book passing review. Maybe even include a couple of similarly-constructed vignettes you can snap into place. It's like a $20-30 set, and they need more smaller sets like it to counter the giants like Fishing Store and Saturn V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm betting on the pop up book and it will be like a creator 3-in-1 where there's enough pieces to make 3 different scenes.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Not to be a downer, but the pop up book creator too has already gotten an ideas set through.
So if you think already having a project go through stops you from getting another, that applies to this as well, sadly. :smith:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Not to be a downer, but the pop up book creator too has already gotten an ideas set through.
So if you think already having a project go through stops you from getting another, that applies to this as well, sadly. :smith:

Oh, drat, didn't realize that was the Maze designer.

Though Ellen Kooijman did Research Institute and Big Bang Theory, so it's actually not unprecedented. But those were two completely different themes; the Coastal ones are all big, and all the same theme. I don't think Lego wants to repeat itself that often.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Selling a couple sets to make room.
Any Ausgoons looking for an AT-AT 75054-1 (w/ figures & instructions), a Snowspeeder 75049-1 (w/ figures) or a Pet Store modular?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else building Downtown Diner? This is a great set so far, but I'm only on bag 2 and it already has a bunch of "loose" pieces. 2 glasses on the diner counter that don't attach to anything, some kind of tan pancake stacked loosely ontop of another pancake.

Does anyone else feel like this is kind of bullshit for a lego set? Besides the fact that every time I go to move it, or even touch it, pieces are going to fall over.

Just seems... lame?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
You're forgetting the kragle.

fake edit: They did this with the Winter Village Bakery (the cake things under the counter) and it annoys me every Christmas.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MaliciousOnion posted:

You're forgetting the kragle.

fake edit: They did this with the Winter Village Bakery (the cake things under the counter) and it annoys me every Christmas.

Bag 2 and already there are: 2 glasses on the counter, one loose pancake, and now, a camera left on a seat. I mean, I'm not some purist nerd. More just like... it's going to ALWAYS be falling.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Tiny tiny dot of Museum Putty? Should hold whatever down.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Do they by any chance fit in a minifig hand?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Black Griffon posted:

Do they by any chance fit in a minifig hand?

I mean, yes, I could have the diner counter worker/cook holding 2 glasses. I could also have the waitress who is holding one tray with a milkshake hold the camera... I mean, it's not a big deal. Hell I can even ignore them... just seems odd to not only do it, but do it a bunch. I mean, sure, you get loose bananas and whatnot in drawers, or crabs in an oven, but they are usually closed off.

Just seems kinda ridiculous here. :)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

You wouldn't like the pet shop with its loose bones and balls.

Edit:

Ship in a bottle has a release date and price: Feb 1st, $70

duz fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 10, 2018

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

duz posted:

You wouldn't like the pet shop with its loose bones and balls.

Edit:

Ship in a bottle has a release date and price: Feb 1st, $70

I like it, though I mostly just want all the clear glass and globes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
70 dollars seems lame. Must be from all those tiny 1x1s.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

962 pieces, of which 280 are the water. So $70 seems reasonable. Must be a lot of pieces in the stand.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
£70 is terrible value.

Prices: US $69.99 – CA $89.99 – DE 69.99€ – UK £69.99

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 10, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The base is made out of a poo poo ton of plates.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

£70 is terrible value.

Prices: US $69.99 – CA $89.99 – DE 69.99€ – UK £69.99

Welcome to Brexit Britain.

(still gonna buy it)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like this ship isn't going to be too hard to find. People are mad about the price and real mad because the ship isn't as detailed as the ideas set. I'm more excited that the bottle looks good because I'm going to put in some orders for parts to put the spaceship I designed into the bottle. Also, people are mad that you don't build the ship by putting tweezers through the bottle neck. It has 280 blue pieces, but even if you cut those out, the 682 parts is still about 10 cents per pieces.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like this ship isn't going to be too hard to find. People are mad about the price and real mad because the ship isn't as detailed as the ideas set. I'm more excited that the bottle looks good because I'm going to put in some orders for parts to put the spaceship I designed into the bottle. Also, people are mad that you don't build the ship by putting tweezers through the bottle neck. It has 280 blue pieces, but even if you cut those out, the 682 parts is still about 10 cents per pieces.

The Ideas set looks substantially larger (at least six studs wider on each face) and it's situated so that the ship's height is corner-to-corner, rather than face-to-face like the final set. There's a lot more room to have a fancier-looking ship. The first update to the project said it was about 1800 pieces, so the difference is a good $80-100 worth of parts.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The ship and the concept were the only good parts of the ideas set. This one looks so much better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think they made the right call. Better looking bottle is much better than better looking ship. It doesn't matter how good the ship looks when you can't even see it behind all the lines between the pieces of the bottle. And I'm sure it will be possible to buy more parts to turn it into the ideas set, they seem to share a lot of pieces.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm buying it and enough pieces to make it hold the yellow submarine.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cojawfee posted:

I think they made the right call. Better looking bottle is much better than better looking ship. It doesn't matter how good the ship looks when you can't even see it behind all the lines between the pieces of the bottle. And I'm sure it will be possible to buy more parts to turn it into the ideas set, they seem to share a lot of pieces.

I like the bottle but that ship looks like poo poo compared to the original. The best part of the original ship was the rigging and the creative use of parts for the cannon smoke. That went from an instant buy to no thanks real quick. At least I've still got Voltron to look forward to I guess.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 11, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cloks posted:

I'm buying it and enough pieces to make it hold the yellow submarine.

I'm putting the SV in it. Then I'm going to put that ship in a bottle inside an even bigger modular of my basement.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm putting the UCS Falcon in it :smug: checkmate

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The easy buy thing for Bricklink is useless because it doesn't take into account minimum orders or minimum lot averages. And there's no way to make sure it only choose North America stores. No loving way is shipping on a few lego pieces going to be worth it from Australia. It would be fine if it didn't want me to buy from a guy with a $1.00 per lot minimum average.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 11, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Changed my mind. I'm going to move into mine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually bricklinked a bunch of parts from Australia, the Netherlands and Czech Republic the last couple months, they were rare parts and were actually cheaper than US sellers even after counting for shipping.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are deals to be had. I got a BNIB fairground mixer from russia for cheap enough that i could sell it for a profit here in the US.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Cojawfee posted:

The easy buy thing for Bricklink is useless because it doesn't take into account minimum orders or minimum lot averages. And there's no way to make sure it only choose North America stores. No loving way is shipping on a few lego pieces going to be worth it from Australia. It would be fine if it didn't want me to buy from a guy with a $1.00 per lot minimum average.

There are no shortcuts to big bricklink orders. There are some standalone programs but they have the same shortcomings that BLs easy buy does, lacking a human brain to do actual smart decisions.

Just gotta buckle up and dive into it manually!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve checked a few blogs and the Mobile Frame Zero FB group already, but are there any sets you’d recommend for cannibalizing parts to make microscale mecha?

I feel like I missed out on Mixels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At this point I would just bricklink whatever joints you want, those tiny friction joints are definitely still used in sets but you're gonna be hunting around a lot to build up a stock.

But on bricklink you can probably get them for 3 cents a piece.

Lego PAB might work too, their past micro builds have used those joints quite often. I was at a store the other day and they had thousands of these pieces available:

We were in minneapolis, went to the store at the mall of america. the 30 foot mech was loving bonkers:

https://www.lego.com/es-ar/aboutus/news-room/2011/april/world-s-biggest-lego-model-is-up-on-the-roof

They also had all the new 2018 sets on display, the ninjago stuff looks fantastic but I just can't force myself to care about them. Only real critique I had on them is it looks like a technic chassis with slopes and tiles bolted on, which probably means they aren't a very fun build. But they are really high quality designs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Burger Bot owns.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rad as hell

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are those real sprinkles in that shake?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They had a surplus of those at PAB after they canned mixels :rip: and I bought an entire large bucket of them. They are invaluable for building small robots. They might still be at PAB. They had every variety of this joint it was great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
heh, now that you mention it, looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
The Technic Mack Truck was just unveiled:

2,595 pieces.