Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Tai posted:

Avoid loot council guilds. It just ends up with random drama out bursts or an underlying bitch fest in group/channels.

My opinion is avoid DKP guilds because you're going to watch loot go to people who can barely fog a mirror but still get things they have no business earning because they can type their password into a box and tell someone for a raid invite. I say this as the raid leader of the top non-DKP and the third top guild on phinigel that still beats things only slightly slower than AoS and OGC, and we don't do poo poo like mandatory raids on three-expansion-old content just to fill hours so people can get DKP.

You're not going to avoid loot drama, ever. Find a guild that has cool people you like to hang out with that has a raid schedule that fits your timing, and don't worry about loot. Either way you'll get it by showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm in Entendre (Brumans). We definitely have at least one other goon, but he's not around much.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I'm actually pretty good friends with a 70 cleric - Naederie, thats in Entendre. Also, Holler, who is a 65 I think, Bard in Entendre. Friends with him too. But Naederie and I are real close, so i guess that a few votes for Entendre there.

Hit lv58 tonight. It looks like Plane of Valor has replaced boring as poo poo GE as the hot spot for getting up to around 62.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Ah cool! They're both newer dudes. May still be apps actually?

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Naederie must be, because we started playing at the same time on Phin. He's just an insane poopsocker, so he outleveled me; cool guy though. He's got other characters on Live servers and stuff, so he knows what he's doing.

I mostly run with Holler's alt character, a warrior around my level. But we've grouped alot and he's a solid guy too, smart player.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I'm real surprised I haven't asked this before in the thread, because it's so important to my class, and EQ in general. Are there any tips for pullers (Rangers, Monks) that I should be aware of? Indoor/outdoor specifics? Dungeon specifics? Group specifics?
Just in reference to PvE here. I realize raids are an entirely different beast.

For the most part I feel I do fine. I've pulled in every variety of those situations and done alright. Sometimes with lots of indoor areas going in and out, like say CoM - I remember having some trouble with aggro, getting rooted on pulls - stuff like that.
And then maybe in outdoor zones, like upper in PoV, just sometimes making some twitch mistakes and getting adds I didn't attend in hard-to-see areas like the cracks/crevices they have there.

So is there a good how-to on Ranger pulling, or pulling in general out there?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Hoohah posted:

My opinion is avoid DKP guilds because you're going to watch loot go to people who can barely fog a mirror but still get things they have no business earning because they can type their password into a box and tell someone for a raid invite. I say this as the raid leader of the top non-DKP and the third top guild on phinigel that still beats things only slightly slower than AoS and OGC, and we don't do poo poo like mandatory raids on three-expansion-old content just to fill hours so people can get DKP.

The reason why GoD raids were (not any more) on the raid calendar before Xmas was due to the fact that items in Tacvi are STILL BIS for some classes. Also, we are are a pretty alt heavy guild. Doing previous expansion helps use massively when we 3 split Anguish. It also gives items to recruits. Personally I think guilds who dumped tacvi months ago are dumb. It’s zero challenge at 70 and yields fantastic items. No guild on the server has all their melee with all their weapon augs off tunat. That alone is a reason to do tacvi.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Tai posted:

Their rains are just so dam good.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone but a Monk at the top of parses on our guild raids, maybe our Wizards are just not good?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone but a Monk at the top of parses on our guild raids, maybe our Wizards are just not good?

Aye your wizards are bad

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Tai posted:

It’s zero challenge at 70 and yields fantastic items.

Which is why you dump it. We have the people that are interested in doing it doing it with 3/4 groups, while we don't force anyone else to do it and don't punish them if they don't.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Hoohah posted:

Which is why you dump it. We have the people that are interested in doing it doing it with 3/4 groups, while we don't force anyone else to do it and don't punish them if they don't.

We offered DKP because it helps the guild. The more people who show up, the more splits happen aka more loot. What you are saying is flawed. If people need something, raid it. You might as well stop raiding Anguish if majority of people don’t need items there. This attitude a lot of guilds have that say “well it’s not current content so gently caress it” makes me cry. As I said, Tacvi has a lot of BIS items for a lot of classes.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Its the same here. Wizards aren't even beating our well geared rogues.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
My 2 cents on DKP vs Loot Council:

I'll never join a LC guild again. It's the reason I ruled out EOE, heh, even though Hoohah is awesome and a loving walking EQ wikipedia, hah.

I say this as not only being in a LC guild, but being ON the LC. It sucked. It's all drama fuel because it's all arbitrary. Either you set up some transparency rules so that it's basically DKP-lite or you just go DKP.

I mean, sure, to some extent there will always be loot drama (I'm a bard, noone wants me to have anything, lol), and Hoohah is 100% correct - raid with people you have fun with, as that's by far more important. My personal mindset is "DKP all the things, but only take raid attendance for current content" (or something like that). Of course, I don't think EQDKP, by far the most popular tracking software, lets you do that. But maybe it does. I'm kinda like Tai in the "if it's important enough to raid, it deserves DKP".

That said, in Entendre we're actually a bit of both. We take DKP and raid attendance on current content (currently COA, Vish, and Yar'lir). We actually just do it all in one night. Sucks if you miss 1 day, and not how I prefer it, but meh, it's fine. We raid older content all the time though, but it's all purely optional, and use loot council. It works out well enough, even though it's not "my ideal", but gently caress running a guild. They actually asked me to be an officer, but I passed. I've had my time with that, for now at least.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I went back to a Live server because it's a much chiller game that I can alt-tab out of frequently while shitposting.

Anyway, what to do about my merc? I hired her when I was still on F2P so I'm sure that she's not the "Tier 1 Journeyman" that the OP says is the best ones reserved for subbed players. Do I dismiss her (or whatever else is the correct command)? If I hire a new one, do they still have their own character level that will be behind mine?

EDIT:

At what level do I start getting some sweet auto-granted AAs as a Warrior? I'm guessing 50+?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 7, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I recalled recently hat EQ 2 exists. Anyone still playing that? I used to play once or twice a year to level a guy until I left the newbie island where loot was plentiful and then quit

Edit: Found the EQ2 thread! Man, is that a depressing outlook

Devor fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 7, 2018

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I went back to a Live server because it's a much chiller game that I can alt-tab out of frequently while shitposting.

Anyway, what to do about my merc? I hired her when I was still on F2P so I'm sure that she's not the "Tier 1 Journeyman" that the OP says is the best ones reserved for subbed players. Do I dismiss her (or whatever else is the correct command)? If I hire a new one, do they still have their own character level that will be behind mine?

EDIT:

At what level do I start getting some sweet auto-granted AAs as a Warrior? I'm guessing 50+?

Silver players can get up to Apprentice 5 Mercs, basic Gold accounts can hire Journeyman 1. Once you do a quest in the dream feerrott zone, then you can hire J5 mercs. That quest is easy for L85 heroic characters. You'll need to hire a new merc of the appropriate tier to upgrade, fire your old one first if needed. Mercs always have your level, merc aa exp is independent of individual mercs and shared among any mercs you use.

Autogrant starts with AAs, at 51. Turn it on and don't worry about AAs till like 95 or 100.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Is the Free to Play info still up to date?

I'm interested in playing a kind of multibox set up and this game sounds like a good fit, but not really if I have to buy a bunch of stuff. Spending some money on silver isn't too bad, but buying all the expansions (like Lord of the Rings) doesn't seem like as much fun.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Youll probably want 1 paid account and then silver/free box accounts as support, then F2P is ok, but eventually the gear limitation is aggravating on live servers.

On Agnarr - any Guild recommendations for a boxer with a Cleric/Enc/Druid at level ~50? I basically just want to casually raid and group.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Do you still get free 'Gold Access' or whatever on the Test server? You could just go box there.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

bad boys for life posted:

On Agnarr - any Guild recommendations for a boxer with a Cleric/Enc/Druid at level ~50? I basically just want to casually raid and group.

Post your raid availability, theres a couple of us in different guilds. But I wouldn't want to recommend if you couldnt make any raids.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

lv58 was horrible. Dragged on forever, and I died like 6 times on the way to 59. Finally 59, thankfully.

Do hell levels still exist? Or was I just having some bad luck?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Bad luck. Hell levels got smoothed out forever ago.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

FranktheBank posted:

Post your raid availability, theres a couple of us in different guilds. But I wouldn't want to recommend if you couldnt make any raids.

Im basically free any week day after 8PM PST, and can make times almost anytime on weekends. I dont really give a drat about loot and just want to kill poo poo for fun.

bad boys for life fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 8, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I used to raid with Broken Wave and they started at 8 pm pst. I dunno if they still do, this was during Velious.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

bad boys for life posted:

Im basically free any week day after 9PM MST, and can make times almost anytime on weekends. I dont really give a drat about loot and just want to kill poo poo for fun.

I am in What the Guk, along with a couple of people here. One of which hasn't played recently (rip copmagic). We raid Tues/Thurs 7pm est and Sun 5pm est. We do require 55+ for recruit tag, but thats mainly for loot/dkp and stuff. If you have any qustions, just hit me up in game, Frankdabank or ask here. There are a ton of 50+ guilds to choose from though.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

joem83 posted:

I used to raid with Broken Wave and they started at 8 pm pst. I dunno if they still do, this was during Velious.

Broken Wave still raids at 8 PM PST Monday, Tuesday & Thursday on Phinny.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

FranktheBank posted:

I am in What the Guk, along with a couple of people here. One of which hasn't played recently (rip copmagic). We raid Tues/Thurs 7pm est and Sun 5pm est. We do require 55+ for recruit tag, but thats mainly for loot/dkp and stuff. If you have any qustions, just hit me up in game, Frankdabank or ask here. There are a ton of 50+ guilds to choose from though.

What the Guk is pretty legit, one of the better guilds I've ever been a member of and the officer team is great. Sounds like the Tues/Thurs raids might be too early though which is a bummer.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Lord Windy posted:

Is the Free to Play info still up to date?

I'm interested in playing a kind of multibox set up and this game sounds like a good fit, but not really if I have to buy a bunch of stuff. Spending some money on silver isn't too bad, but buying all the expansions (like Lord of the Rings) doesn't seem like as much fun.

The f2p info the OP? No, it's completely out of date. Afair, everyone is silver now. All but the latest 2 or 3 expansions are available to f2p, and buying the newest expansion buys any you're missing. You won't have to worry about that for a while, since you can get to level 105 out of 110 with f2p expansions. The prestige gear and AA restrictions is still around, and are very real.

Once you get close to max level, you'll want to go gold for a month to get auto-grant AAs and do some grinding for the other AAs.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Due to my schedule, I'm going to have to raid with an EU guild. That's fine by me.

Can one of the Phin goons recommend one off the Phin Progress list? You guys have so much more experience then me, and already recognize which guilds suck, and which dont (probably despite their position on Phinprogress)

The only two *Good* EU guilds I see on the Phinprogress site are - Darkwind X and Rosengard. Anyone have experience with these guys?

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 9, 2018

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Darkwind X are the biggest assholes I've ever ran into. Back in BDA when we were still getting settled on the server, 2 of their members (one was the GL I think?) trained us repeatedly at Royals in Chardok of all things (he was a necro). Why? Just so we couldn't have it. We were there with a raid force, it was just him and his buddy. They didn't want us to get it (and after a train war for a while, well, we finally left).

That said, I'm pretty sure everyone can tell a time they had issues with [insert guild name here]. On Phinny, the majority of those in raiding guilds stick with their guild for all the things, so guild reputation doesn't really matter these days.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've grouped with Darkwind X on phinny recently and had no issues. As far as I'm aware the problem children left and formed a new guild when PoP opened and they got new officers.

Infact I can't think of any guild thats really the same guild it was 12-18 month ago.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
That Phinny progress website only updates your guild if you send them info, so there are more guilds than listed there who still clear all the content in era.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I joined Rosengard. Everyone had good things to say about them, and I never met a dick when grouping with them. Seem like a cool bunch of dudes, and their raiding schedule is perfect for me.
Should hit lv60 in the next few hours. Very interested to start trying out some tasks and missions and stuff soon. I hear people talking about them, but I'm not really sure what it's all about.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dennis McClaren posted:

I joined Rosengard. Everyone had good things to say about them, and I never met a dick when grouping with them. Seem like a cool bunch of dudes, and their raiding schedule is perfect for me.
Should hit lv60 in the next few hours. Very interested to start trying out some tasks and missions and stuff soon. I hear people talking about them, but I'm not really sure what it's all about.

Basically missions/tasks is when they made quests not awful "hope you wrote down/put everything into a word doc so you know where you are at whatever stage in some quest"

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Dennis McClaren posted:

Very interested to start trying out some tasks and missions and stuff soon. I hear people talking about them, but I'm not really sure what it's all about.

Missions are the EQ implementation of WoW quests, combing a quest chain into a single step-by-step thing.

For example, Lost Gnomes is a task you'll do in DoDH. It has the following steps:

1. Zone into the Living Larder (almost all tasks start with 'zone in to the zone where you're going to do things' if they're a group task, like this one is).
2. Rescue Gnomes 0/4 (as you find gnomes and run them to zone in, this number will go up)
3. Claim your reward (when the 4 gnomes have died or have been rescued, a chest will drop. Open it)

At that point the task ends and you'll get a green 'Lost Gnomes is complete' message. You can then leave the task, or in like 30 minutes, the task zone will go away. Without the task, you cannot zone into that particular instance of living larder.

Until SoF, most tasks do not give XP. SoF through Underfoot, you don't get a lot of XP. After Underfoot, tasks make their final transition into being not only a valid way of XPing, but the preferred way if you're not farming some zone rare for an item.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

If that's a mission - what's a task?

And where do all of these originate at? Different zones you have to pick the missions up in?

Thanks!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Mission / task / quest are interchangeable at this stage of the game basically. There might be a traditional quest here and there hidden.

They originate at NPCs just like other quests, but usually now they'll have a thing under their name like [Group Missions] or [Raid Missions] or something. The camps in Lavastorm are the best place to see them. There may be other NPCs that give some out too later on, dunno. Just go talk to the NPC and it'll pop up poo poo.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I miss shoving stacks of Tumpy Tonics into that guys face for powerleveling.

Ah, who am I kidding. I was poor, so I was the guy brewing up stacks of Tumpy Tonics to sell to the idle rich.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Finally mastered the whole offline trader thing. Lol pretty much at all of EQ's U.I. decisions .

When you log back on, it tells me = "There are 17 buyers waiting to purchase your loot. Type /barter to search for them, or use /buyer to set up your own buy lines"

If that's the case, why when I hit search, do I not see anyone wanting to buy the stuff I have??

What does it mean to setup buy lines? Does that mean, listing what you want to buy from whoever? and setting a price for it for people to browse?

I MISS E.COMMONS GO SIT IN TUNNEL AND SPAM WTS/WTB!!!

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah buy lines are the opposite of trader, you set quantity and price of items you want to buy. Most people try to buy diamonds and tradeskill items at low price.

I think the "17 buyers are waiting to buy your loot" is a generic message that just says how many buyers are active, not necessarily people that want the stuff you own.

Missions are usually tied to a specific instance of a zone with a group. Tasks are just solo quests you can do in and out of instances, like collect insect wings.