Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tumble posted:

Man I'm so crippled by my pack rat-ism. You would think that when I kill the very first Nightmare, in the 'Detour' part of the game, where you first gain access to Crew Quarters that I would be thrilled with how well it went. Null grenade, followed by some combat focus, then quickly tossing some recycle charges and bam, he's been reduced to pellets and I didn't lose any health. Heck I even tased the possessed crew members.

I should be thrilled, but part of me is like "But what if you needed those things you used?"

That’s the biggest enemy in the game. What else would you need those things for? That’s why you have them in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
BECAUSE I RAN INTO ANOTHER ONE IMMEDIATELY AFTER I FINISHED UP IN CREW QUARTERS, THAT'S WHY I NEED SIXTEEN OF MY RECYCLER GRENADES. I guess I'm supposed to be scared of these guys but so far they are bad at taking corners. So this time I pissed him off with a silenced pistol shot and went back towards the room that leads to crew quarters, and when he came around the bushes I tossed 5 more recycler grenades and then finished him off with a matrix shotgun blast.

drat you guys are big liars "ooh look at this wuss boy he needs a nightlight and grenades that turn everything into usable pellets" i'm never listening to you guys again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I went for Typhon shot on my first playthrough so about two hours into the game I was having full on Dragonball Z jet pack fights with those dudes, it’s a very fun game.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I played in a very boring way (no powers, all Human mods, fully upgraded security weapons) and the shotgun just locks those fuckers down.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Full human is better, tbh. Weavers are a bit hairier but sooner rather than later you’re Mario jumping in bullet time all over the fuckin station

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I like that Prey transitions from having to find weird, gimmicky ways to deal with single Phantoms to flying around the station at mach 5 blowing Typhon away with mind explosions and laser cannons. It's a really satisfying sense of progression.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CaptainRat posted:

I played in a very boring way (no powers, all Human mods, fully upgraded security weapons) and the shotgun just locks those fuckers down.

Full human ends up being less 'how do I do this' and more 'what's the cheapest way to do this'

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tumble posted:

BECAUSE I RAN INTO ANOTHER ONE IMMEDIATELY AFTER I FINISHED UP IN CREW QUARTERS, THAT'S WHY I NEED SIXTEEN OF MY RECYCLER GRENADES. I guess I'm supposed to be scared of these guys but so far they are bad at taking corners. So this time I pissed him off with a silenced pistol shot and went back towards the room that leads to crew quarters, and when he came around the bushes I tossed 5 more recycler grenades and then finished him off with a matrix shotgun blast.

drat you guys are big liars "ooh look at this wuss boy he needs a nightlight and grenades that turn everything into usable pellets" i'm never listening to you guys again.

What difficulty are you playing on? It’s usually way too big for parts of the level so you can usually stay above it or squeeze into cracks. Or hit it with psychoshock, kinetic, fire, and whatever else of your choice in less than a second.

Begore you reply, yes I know it can squeeze through doors, that’s not what I mean by squeezing into smaller areas. There are a ton of rooms where it’s just too big to fit.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Dyz posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? It’s usually way too big for parts of the level so you can usually stay above it or squeeze into cracks. Or hit it with psychoshock, kinetic, fire, and whatever else of your choice in less than a second.

Begore you reply, yes I know it can squeeze through doors, that’s not what I mean by squeezing into smaller areas. There are a ton of rooms where it’s just too big to fit.

I bounce between hard and normal.

Edit - ok what the gently caress I just fought a third Nightmare in Deep Storage

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 10, 2018

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Tumble posted:

Edit - ok what the gently caress I just fought a third Nightmare in Deep Storage

I think it keeps respawning every so often and respawns slower if you kill it each time rather than if you run away.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tumble posted:

The Nightmare will respawn every 30? minutes or so if you kill it but I don't believe it can spawn until you enter a new area. So if you're in Psychotronics for 30 minutes it's not going to saunter in unannounced but it will show up when you enter the next area it can spawn in. It's real fun when it spawns on the Bridge.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
IIRC he won't necessarily respawn where you are but jamming a bunch of needles into your skull will alert him to your location.

IMO the best way to deal with the Nightmare is to avoid him until you reach the point where you can punk him in a couple of seconds.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Nightmare definitely can show up after you've entered a level, and not even necessarily just when you've dosed yourself with an eyeball 8ball, but it will spawn in another part of the level and make a beeline for you.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
You can usually just hide in a vent or whatever till it fucks off, which tbh was my least favourite part of an overall excellent game. Spending two or three minutes just fiddling with my phone or going for a piss while the timer ticks down isn't particularly engaging gameplay wise.

Oh I also thought the load times between areas were pretty brutal and hurt the feeling that talos was a huge but coherent and believable station.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

You can usually just hide in a vent or whatever till it fucks off, which tbh was my least favourite part of an overall excellent game. Spending two or three minutes just fiddling with my phone or going for a piss while the timer ticks down isn't particularly engaging gameplay wise.

Oh I also thought the load times between areas were pretty brutal and hurt the feeling that talos was a huge but coherent and believable station.

So just kill it, then.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

The Nightmare definitely can show up after you've entered a level, and not even necessarily just when you've dosed yourself with an eyeball 8ball, but it will spawn in another part of the level and make a beeline for you.

Huh, never had that happen. It always appeared in a part of the station I had just entered. Hell one time I popped into Neuromods I think - where you get your first - and it was literally just standing right in the middle of the lobby, that was fun. Evade it, sure. And I'm pretty sure I must have spent a fair bit of time in a few areas, and used mods while I was there.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Mymla posted:

So just kill it, then.

Yeah and waste all my resources great plan

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah and waste all my resources great plan

It drops nueromod juice though, allowing you to turn less useful resources into more useful ones. Q-beam ammo is plentiful and psi is easily replenishable, and that plus a bit of mobility all you need to quickly kick his rear end from relative safety.

I used all my satellite quest rewards to get more nightmares to kill.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm inclined to agree that the Nightmare is best as a resource to make more delicious eye-juice, but I could see people who are sort of done investing in mods being less interested in fighting it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

It drops nueromod juice though, allowing you to turn less useful resources into more useful ones.

Pft, I was swimming in it. Mineral was my limiter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I am absolutely loving this game, about 18 hours in so far and I've actually been resisting following the main storyline because I just wanna mostly explore Talos I - the game keeps pushing me towards the Arboretum and my fat brother, but I love that exploring keeps opening up these little encounters/discoveries and I always feel like I have something to do.

All that said, am I undercutting myself in some way by not progressing the main story? It seems like most of the surviving crew are tucked away over there.

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!

Jerusalem posted:

I am absolutely loving this game, about 18 hours in so far and I've actually been resisting following the main storyline because I just wanna mostly explore Talos I - the game keeps pushing me towards the Arboretum and my fat brother, but I love that exploring keeps opening up these little encounters/discoveries and I always feel like I have something to do.

All that said, am I undercutting myself in some way by not progressing the main story? It seems like most of the surviving crew are tucked away over there.

I just finished it in 27 hours, so yeah, I'd say 18 is quite a ways in not to have progressed the story to the point where you encounter more people.

Also, holy poo poo the ending. The real one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

kill the nightmare with typhon powers, then use the material from its chunky chunks to make psi item to kill the next one. stop hitting yourself!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jerusalem posted:

You're just going to run into situations where Morgan has Very Good Foresight when she picks up something totally random and marks it as a quest item in the inventory, or January tells you that you need a key, but remarks that you already have it instead of telling you where to find it. The game does a good job of telling you when you need to do something quickly.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

This isn't like Elder Scrolls or Fallout or whatever where the main story is basically another side thing. You're gonna have to do it. Going along with the story takes you to every major area anyway so if you just put it off endlessly you're might later be annoyed by all the backtracking you're forcing on yourself.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Get leverage 3 and pile up everything in the room and toss a recycler charge at the pile, you'll get a bunch of mineral that way

you may have to recycle some reployers though which always sucks but whatever

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!
Some more thoughts after finishing:

- The game never really tries to be "epic" like so many recent AAA titles aim for, but it's just so *good* on so many levels. Probably my favorite game of this type since the first Deus Ex.

- The level design is absolutely masterful, some of the best I've ever played. A lot of games play up the "multiple ways to do things!" angle, but in ways that are forced and obvious. Here it just felt natural and unintrusive, and gave a great sense of satisfaction figuring things out.

- The voice acting is almost all superb, even among minor characters. Looking through the cast, I recognized a lot of the actors from movies/TV (if not big stars), and the investment really pays off.

- I can't remember playing a game where I cared more about even minor characters on a personal level. Populating the world with all the artifacts of people's lives reminds you that you're not just looting a corpse; that was a person, with hopes and fears and people who they cared about and cared about them, and now it's all gone. Constantly coming across bodies in scenes from mundane everyday life—at their workstations, in their bedrooms, having meals, etc.—really hits you. I know this all might sound trite, but the game pulls it off.

- As a nitpick, I might have liked to see more creative enemy design than a half-dozen different variations on "blob of goo," but I get that it goes with the theme.

- I appreciated the lack of "boss" type fights, which sometimes get shoehorned into games like this. I don't need that poo poo gating the flow of the story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll go see my fat brother!

(Also I can get that last exterior hatch unlocked!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahaha, I saved my game and tried out the emergency escape pod just to see what would happen :allears:

Then I went down to Deep Storage and my game crashed :sigh:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MikeJF posted:

I dont actually understand how this could happen, minerals are so plentiful if you are properly recycling stuff like food and psi hypos and medkits and repair kits and suit kits and grenades and less useful bullets and all the other poo poo you accumulate a huge useless pile of when you get serious about shoving as many needles into your eyes as possible.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I dont actually understand how this could happen, minerals are so plentiful if you are properly recycling stuff like food and psi hypos and medkits and repair kits and suit kits and grenades and less useful bullets and all the other poo poo you accumulate a huge useless pile of when you get serious about shoving as many needles into your eyes as possible.

fabricating bullets, probably

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally finished the game after spending so much time exploring. Oh my God it's so good, and I'm so glad I managed to stay unspoiled on the ending and the twist wasn't exactly what I was expecting it to be. I should have loving listened to the thread title when I kept seeing it and loving bought this game earlier.

I was very empathetic and did no harm, and I didn't use any non-human abilities. So now I kinda want to try an ultra-violent, super-powers insane person run through the game but I also don't wanna hurt those people I worked so hard to keep alive :shobon:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda disliked the final twist because I worked so hard to keep all those people alive.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A DLC where Typhon Morgan fights the Real Morgan would probably be GOAT or at least my DLOAT

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

A DLC where Typhon Morgan fights the Real Morgan would probably be GOAT or at least my DLOAT

I'm 95% sure that Real Morgan is very, and forever, dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm 95% sure that Real Morgan is very, and forever, dead.

Like this game's odds of getting DLC?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Yes :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

The game didn't sell well? :smith:

But it's so loving good

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Jerusalem posted:

The game didn't sell well? :smith:

But it's so loving good

It was "bronze-tier" according to the Steam Winter sale in terms of units moved over the year, which means it was of course a massive failure and will never be touched again

In all seriousness a lot of finger pointing seems to be at Bethesda and their review embargoes, but I'm not sure about that because word of mouth that this was spiritually a System Shock game didn't seem to light fires under too many asses.

Worked for me though. It went on sale with the demo release, I played the demo out of curiosity and goon recommendation and paid the money to upgrade to retail after playing the demo for all of 15 minutes.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's not just the review embargo, the entire marketing scheme was hosed. Calling the game Prey was a horrible move that turned a lot of people off, announcing it right before announcing "Oh by the way, Fallout 4 in a few months" meant its launch was just sort of not covered, and the followup marketing was non-existent, most people I have talked to about the game have either never heard of it at all or went "Oh yeah isn't that the game with the same name as that other game? I remember being confused by that then I didn't look up any other info about it."