Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So because I love spreadsheets and wanted to figure out just how effective Primaris units are, I did some math...

pre:
Calculated Average Points Per Wound For Primaris Units

Unit		Loadout					PPW Horde	PPW Marines	PPW Vehicles
Intercessor	Bolt Rifle				47.3		108.0		324.0
Intercessor	Bolt Rifle (RF)				23.6		54.0		162.0
Intercessor	Auto Bolt Rifle				36.2		103.5		388.1
Intercessor	Stalker Bolt Rifle			73.5		126.0		346.5

Hellblaster	Plasma Incinerator			66.8		74.3		138.6
Hellblaster	Plasma Incinerator (Hot)		59.4		59.4		48.3
Hellblaster	Plasma Incinerator (Hot, RF)		29.7		29.7		24.1
Hellblaster	A. Plasma Incinerator			35.4		39.4		86.6
Hellblaster	A. Plasma Incinerator (Hot)		35.4		39.4		36.8
Hellblaster	H. Plasma Incinerator			63.0		63.0		102.4
Hellblaster	H. Plasma Incinerator (Hot)		63.0		63.0		43.3

Redemptor	H. Onslaught, Onslaught, Fragstorm	18.7		40.3		102.6
Redemptor	M. Plasma, Onslaught, Fragstorm		26.4		45.8		94.2
Redemptor	M. Plasma (Hot), Onslaught, Fragstorm	26.4		45.8		52.8

Repulsor	2x Las Weapon, Onslaught, 5x Fragstorm	30.1		62.2		58.2
Repulsor	2x Onslaught, H. Bolter, 5x Fragstorm	19.2		40.2		107.1	

Inceptor	Assault Bolter				16.9		33.8		125.4
Inceptor	Plasma Exterminator			29.9		39.8		76.3
Inceptor	Plasma Exterminator (Hot)		26.6		31.9		26.6

Aggressor	Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm	12.3		35.1		131.4
Aggressor	Flamestorm Guantlets			11.7		33.4		125.4

Astraeus	3x Las Weapon, Twin Macro-Accelerator	57.4		88.1		53.9
"Horde" is an average of wounds dealt to Gaunts and Orks, while "Vehicles" is the average between a Predator and a Land Raider. The way to interpret the data is that lower values are better; for every 12.3 points you spend on Aggressors with Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets and Fragstorm Grenade Launchers you can expect to deal an average of one wound to a "Horde" target each round. This does not include the bonus from standing still. As expected the Hellblaster reigns supreme in terms of points efficient against vehicles, in particular Plasma Incinerators that are overcharged and rapid firing. On the other hand Assault Plasma Incinerators are the second most points efficient antivehicle weapons in the Primaris armory and are a bit more flexible. The Redemptor seems to be a bit of a trap if you want to take on vehicles; while the Onslaught configuration is pretty efficient against Horde targets you have to overheat the Macro Plasma Exterminator to have a chance against vehicles. For the points I would rather have a Repulsor with Lascannon and Las-talon, which is only slightly less points efficient against vehicles but eliminates the risk of self immolation. Without a doubt the most points efficient unit is the Aggressor. The Auto Boltstorm Gauntlet configuration in particular looks great against both horde and marine infantry targets.

The Astraeus is, surprisingly enough, not as horrifically terrible an option as I thought it was.

EDIT: Inceptor numbers were off. Now fixed. Inceptors are really good.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

So I found the razorback turrets at a shop for a buck, and chaos'd them out. Then I realized that chaos doesn't have razorbacks :saddowns: Is there some kind of equivalent, or did I just do a dumb thing?

I mean, I guess I could find sponson mounts and make it a predator or something, I was just hoping to dual-purpose my rhino with an easy panel swap.

No Chaos equivalent sadly. Preds would be the best use.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I need to buy some new shelving, most of my poo poo is still in boxes. I don't have as much space at this new place as at the old one.

What's some efficient shelving I could look at? One of those nice ikea glass display cases I'm going to get for my showy models, but those are pretty space inefficient for storing an army, and there's no closet space available to shove them into.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

love having to verify my location in tyool 2018

even post-login! It's loving insane how the site can't detect your country or at least attach that to your account.

There's potentially a use for changing your country, which is that they post preorders for new stuff to Australia/New Zealand before the US but they should just post preorders globally at the same time to avoid that even being an issue.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

So I found the razorback turrets at a shop for a buck, and chaos'd them out. Then I realized that chaos doesn't have razorbacks :saddowns: Is there some kind of equivalent, or did I just do a dumb thing?

I mean, I guess I could find sponson mounts and make it a predator or something, I was just hoping to dual-purpose my rhino with an easy panel swap.

House Rule 4 Kool Kidz: allow good model conversions in armies even if the armies' codex doesn't.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So because I love spreadsheets and wanted to figure out just how effective Primaris units are, I did some math...

pre:

Inceptor	Assault Bolter				33.8		67.5		168.8
Inceptor	Plasma Exterminator			59.7		79.7		152.7

"Horde" is an average of wounds dealt to Gaunts and Orks, while "Vehicles" is the average between a Predator and a Land Raider. The way to interpret the data is that lower values are better; for every 12.3 points you spend on Aggressors with Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets and Fragstorm Grenade Launchers you can expect to deal an average of one wound to a "Horde" target each round. This does not include the bonus from standing still. As expected the Hellblaster reigns supreme in terms of points efficient against vehicles, in particular Plasma Incinerators that are overcharged and rapid firing. On the other hand Assault Plasma Incinerators are the second most points efficient antivehicle weapons in the Primaris armory and are a bit more flexible. The Redemptor seems to be a bit of a trap if you want to take on vehicles; while the Onslaught configuration is pretty efficient against Horde targets you have to overheat the Macro Plasma Exterminator to have a chance against vehicles. For the points I would rather have a Repulsor with Lascannon and Las-talon, which is only slightly less points efficient against vehicles but eliminates the risk of self immolation. Without a doubt the most points efficient unit is the Aggressor. The Auto Boltstorm Gauntlet configuration in particular looks great against both horde and marine infantry targets.

The Astraeus is, surprisingly enough, not as horrifically terrible an option as I thought it was.

Thanks for the writeup.

This does rather confirm that I need to get off my rear end and build at least 5 of my 15 hellblasters as assault ones.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What would it take for you to run the astraeus numbers with plasma sponsons instead of las? I'm leaning towards them for rule of cool, but not if they're significantly worse.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

What would it take for you to run the astraeus numbers with plasma sponsons instead of las? I'm leaning towards them for rule of cool, but not if they're significantly worse.
They are significantly worse.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Corrode posted:

Use them to run mixed regiment Guard.

I've thought about it, they're painted to an okay enough standard, they just have grass on their bases instead of snow.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

56/83/72 assuming you don't overheat.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

pre:

Inceptor	Assault Bolter				33.8		67.5		168.8
Inceptor	Plasma Exterminator			59.7		79.7		152.7

I want more of this for all the Space Marine units, I demand it! Make it so!! HARUMPF!!

I always do number crunching when determining what to take, but I love having it all laid out in a nice spread sheet. It at least lets you make an honest comparison of units before you factor in things like deployment options, etc.

Are those number on the Inceptors accurate? Just doesn't strike me that they are so much less efficient than Aggressors against hordes and Hellblasters against Marines for their plasma. For example Inceptors are 45 points with 6 S5 -1 Shots, while the equivalent points in Intercessors grants 6 S4 -1 Shots when rapid firing. Am I missing something?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Finished up one Shining Spear - I wanted to do a much more intricate pattern on the canopy, but it turned out to be really complicated with the blending (grey doesn't blend well) and so I went with a mini sun-burst pattern.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
I'm new to the game and still painting the stuff from my Dark Imperium box, but I'm wondering are there different little gun bits I would need to use for stuff like the assault plasma incinerator or the auto bolt rifle?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

Mention this to Sarah next time you see her. She may have something. If she doesn't she'll certainly be after something like that.

Thanks mate, but who is Sarah? I'm guessing from context someone who works at a store/club in the Birmingham area?

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Try this?

Google around for FFG Rogue Trader or Black Crusade RPG resources/maps.

Cheers man, some of the maps for this are exactly the kind of thing I mean. I will get ta' googlin'.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
LOL Shadowsword Numbers: 24.3 against Horde, 38.7 against Marines, 14.9 against Vehicles

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

LOL Shadowsword Numbers: 24.3 against Horde, 38.7 against Marines, 14.9 against Vehicles

Those might be a bit inflated against the first two since damage after the first is wasted.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

I want more of this for all the Space Marine units, I demand it! Make it so!! HARUMPF!!

I always do number crunching when determining what to take, but I love having it all laid out in a nice spread sheet. It at least lets you make an honest comparison of units before you factor in things like deployment options, etc.

Are those number on the Inceptors accurate? Just doesn't strike me that they are so much less efficient than Aggressors against hordes and Hellblasters against Marines for their plasma. For example Inceptors are 45 points with 6 S5 -1 Shots, while the equivalent points in Intercessors grants 6 S4 -1 Shots when rapid firing. Am I missing something?

Actually yeah; the numbers were off because I was referencing Battlescribe and not the Codex, and I only had them listed as having one weapon and not two. The new numbers make them significantly better, with the assault bolter variant being even better than the Aggressor (before standing still) and the overheated Plasma Exterminator being nearly as good as a RF Plasma Incinerator.

pre:

Inceptor	Assault Bolter				16.9		33.8		125.4
Inceptor	Plasma Exterminator			29.9		39.8		76.3
Inceptor	Plasma Exterminator (Hot)		26.6		31.9		26.6

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Those might be a bit inflated against the first two since damage after the first is wasted.

Nope, it takes that into account. A Volcano Cannon will, on average, kill 2.5 gaunts. Or do 17.50 wounds to a Land Raider.

I took the option to add sponsons. Ten heavy bolters is mean.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 9, 2018

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

Bucnasti posted:

Is anyone going to Las Vegas Open?

My brother just moved to Vegas so I'm going to use it as an excuse to visit him and check out the show.

I am doing the 40k Narrative and going to a hockey game. Proper Canadian visit.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nope, it takes that into account. A Volcano Cannon will, on average, kill 2.5 gaunts. Or do 17.50 wounds to a Land Raider.

I took the option to add sponsons. Ten heavy bolters is mean.

Fair and balanced.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I used to paint things

And I'm going to paint something again.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

And I'm going to paint something again.

Is that a threat?! Also holy poo poo those are pretty, always blown away by how crazy good the 30k painters are.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

Nah, Mat Ward left GW too.

Or did he?

*ominous music*

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Serious Gaylord are you coming back to the GW fold?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Maybe Russ? Magnus is a bit meh and I've got a Perturabo that I still dont want to paint after nearly 3 years but I dunno. We'll see. I've got the itch again.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Or did he?

*ominous music*

He is back, apparently, and has a very good sense of humour about the whole "fluff-killer" thing.

It is said that he left for a while because of the death threats he got over the codices he wrote: which may be one of the reasons you don't have a main writer attributed to a codex anymore. :ohdear:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You will be able to find his works by counting the number of dead Sisters.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

God I'd forgotten how loving stupid that was.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Xarlaxas posted:

He is back, apparently, and has a very good sense of humour about the whole "fluff-killer" thing.

It is said that he left for a while because of the death threats he got over the codices he wrote: which may be one of the reasons you don't have a main writer attributed to a codex anymore. :ohdear:

It is absolutely the reason they don't designate authors any more.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Xarlaxas posted:

Huh, he's back on a more permanent basis? Last thing I remember was that he was being brought in freelance to do some of the writing for the 30k Inferno book. Beyond that I haven't heard much else.

Dankzilla
Dec 8, 2005

"hey Clay, how's Groy's ass lookin?"
Looking to get back into hamming. How many points do most tournaments run nowadays? And is there any word about a new ork codex any time soon?

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That was some really dumb fluff that was very quietly excised from the later Grey Knight codices, thankfully.

It is absolutely the reason they don't designate authors any more.

It's ridiculous, but, at the same time, not surprising that nerd rage over fluff would end up with death threats, even though it's incredibly depressing.

Cooked Auto posted:

Huh, he's back on a more permanent basis? Last thing I remember was that he was being brought in freelance to do some of the writing for the 30k Inferno book. Beyond that I haven't heard much else.

I'm not sure if he's free-lance, like Gav, but I believe he tweeted about being back. At any rate, my understanding of his work is that he's pretty good at mechanics, but fluff-wise, well, dead Sisters of Battle, so it seems like they just need to put him to the right task.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I wouldn't be surprised if when they renovated the main building they also put wards in the foundations to keep that fucker from ever coming back.

I can think of a particular Ward they can bury in the foundation to great acclaim.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Xarlaxas posted:

It's ridiculous, but, at the same time, not surprising that nerd rage over fluff would end up with death threats, even though it's incredibly depressing.

It was so bad Jervis was fielding passive-aggressive anti-Ward questions to his face during seminars.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shock and dismay, maybe they should not let his ego and lust for Smurfs screw with their cash cow. It's like hearing a wrestling company's hired Vince Russo, the fans just groan and wait for the dumb writing to start.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thing is, he may not have even written the UM fluff in that book.. He was lead on the rules iirc. And the rules in that book were pretty solid.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Thing is, he may not have even written the UM fluff in that book.. He was lead on the rules iirc. And the rules in that book were pretty solid.

Could be, and whoever let it get past editorial without going 'wait, what the gently caress' has as much responsibility as whoever wrote it, but still.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have no problem with Ward doing rules. As others have said his mechanics have been fairly solid, at least that was the case a few years ago.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I realize this is a pretty broad question but do any armies currently stand out as especially good or bad choices for someone (re)starting/learning the hobby fully from scratch? In terms of both the $ cost to collect a playable amount of points and the difficulty involved playing/modeling/painting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think removing the author attribution should be beneficial in the longer term by preventing the reactionary fans from being all "oh god not another X book." Which should mean that if a book is unpopular it is more obvious to the GW team that there is a problem, instead of the criticism being lost in the background noise of incels throwing their toys out of the pram.