Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So as someone who sat out Civil War II, who did worse poo poo? Tony or Carol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Lots of talk about Nixon killing himself, but none about Reagan ending his term an ambiguous snake-man? Tut tut. Also the Gold Skull from the first arc of U.S.Avengers was a pretty transparent Trump analogue, joining the actual Trump as name-dropped in numerous 80s issues, as well as 90s Trump-a-likes Raymond Trask and Derek Tully, from Amazing Spider-Man and Daredevil respectively.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

mind the walrus posted:

So as someone who sat out Civil War II, who did worse poo poo? Tony or Carol?

Tony was a moron, Carol was a facist.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So was Civil War 2 just like Civil War 1 where normally sensible people did really stupid poo poo and suffered no consequences what so ever? (See Reed "Smartest Man on alive" supporting Joe Mccarthy's witch hunts)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Samuringa posted:

Has Marvel ever gone wild and elected someone batshit crazy and completely unsuitable for presidency like DC did with Luthor?

(Please don't say Trump)

(Please don't say Bush)

In the 2099 universe, Dr. Doom took over and declared himself president for awhile.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

So was Civil War 2 just like Civil War 1 where normally sensible people did really stupid poo poo and suffered no consequences what so ever? (See Reed "Smartest Man on alive" supporting Joe Mccarthy's witch hunts)

Well Obama and the entire US government was down for pre-crime convictions so that's stupid (insert your own zinger about politics here).

Like half the Marvel universe cornered Bruce Banner because of a vision concerning him killing everyone, because the way to keep someone calm is to have a bunch of superheroes stand on their front lawn suited up for a fight, then Hawkeye killed Banner with a special Hulk-killing arrow because everyone thought he was about to hulk out (even though he literally couldn't according to the plot in the book starring Hulk) and all he had to do was go on a trip across America and feel bad to get off scot-free (he was later further absolved from wrongdoing by having a reveal that Naz-Steve Rogers had framed Banner).

Speaking of NazSteve, after seeing a vision of Miles Morales standing over his bloody body on the Capitol steps, he loving goes there anyway! Like, how would being murdered help your big HYDRA plan, dude? Miles goes too! Because again, the best way to avoid a bad vision of the future is to get right in position for that bad vision to come to pass.

Those are the couple I could think of off the top of my head but there's plenty more.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You know I've been reading Fear Itself and there's a whole big conversation about how Steve Rogers reflects the mood of the country, so him going Nazi makes a lot of sense now.

Edit: Fear Itself panels.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 9, 2018

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

jng2058 posted:

In the 2099 universe, Dr. Doom took over and declared himself president for awhile.

And that's insane/unsuitable how?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
doom was actually doing a pretty good job for the 30 seconds before he was deposed

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

So did all that actually happen or is he just loving with them?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

David D. Davidson posted:

I think it happened -- the whole reason Puck was short to begin with is because his body was being used as storage space for a demon.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

jng2058 posted:

I dunno man, Victor at least has previous experience in politics

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

Well Obama and the entire US government was down for pre-crime convictions so that's stupid (insert your own zinger about politics here).

Let's be honest: There's never been a politician above the local level without a HUGE boner for prior restraint. Having a supposedly real justification for just that would be passed into law so fast your head would spin on its way to the gallows.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I think it happened in a Jason Aaron wolverine book.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yes. Puck literally conquered Hell.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

wiegieman posted:

Yes. Puck literally conquered Hell.

Then renamed it "H.E. Double Hockey Sticks".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

I think I first encountered that phrase in a Captain America comic where Nomad (not sure which one) had it in a thought bubble, and I could not for the life of me figure out what the hell he was saying. :downs:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

Canadians, amirite??

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They'll only let a Canuck rule Hell after it freezes over.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

They'll only let a Canuck rule Hell after it freezes over.

Or they win the Stanley Cup, whichever comes first.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

prefect posted:

I think it happened -- the whole reason Puck was short to begin with is because his body was being used as storage space for a demon.

Shouldn't he be bigger then, like Strong Guy?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So hell is ruled by Strong Guy, Mephisto and Puck?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

So hell is ruled by Strong Guy, Mephisto and Puck?

Strong Guy abdicated a while ago in Wolverine or Thunderbolts, I think.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 9, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

McCloud posted:

I was wondering what terrible comic this edgy poo poo was from, and saw that it was from the ultimates lines, and then it all made sense. Jesus.

Well, you have to be pretty edgy to show naked bush in a comic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
strong guy and puck ruled different hells. i suspect that third-rate xmen characters will rule every marvel hell eventually.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Here's Puck putting the sword back in.

Also, he loses some of his soul in the process and that's why he's small..? Dwarfism means you have less of a soul apparently?

I'd blame Byrne but I think that was a Bill Mantlo issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Say Nothing posted:

Well, you have to be pretty edgy to show naked bush in a comic.

:golfclap:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

strong guy and puck ruled different hells. i suspect that third-rate xmen characters will rule every marvel hell eventually.
except the one ruled by Strong Guy unless someone else takes it over because he's first-rate :colbert:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hulk Smash! posted:

Byrne just had him as a dwarf with peak athleticism, Mantlo did all the weird stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

except the one ruled by Strong Guy unless someone else takes it over because he's first-rate :colbert:

he took over mephisto's hell, so that lasted all of 5 minutes.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

From Mystique #23. This loving face

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It's like every goddamn time I turn on my front camera

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'm guessing she's turning herself more malleable to survive an explosion? What are her powers anyway? I swear I remember a comic where she grew two more arms and another face on the back of her head, and I don't think that's really ever come up again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I'm guessing she's turning herself more malleable to survive an explosion? What are her powers anyway? I swear I remember a comic where she grew two more arms and another face on the back of her head, and I don't think that's really ever come up again.

She's an incredibly powerful shapeshifter who can basically anything you imagine a shapeshifter doing including weird poo poo like making test tubes out of her own body parts, turning invisbile or whatever. She can't replicate powers but that is about it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It's like those Intentionally Ugly Photos

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Shape-shifting, but unlike Reed Richards or Plastic Man she's relatively limited by her mass and need to have organs... relatively of course. I don't know about the comic you're referencing, but the panels posted are the finale of the 00s Mystique series, after which she says "yeah flattening myself to escape hurt like you wouldn't believe and I'll probably die if I try it again."

Hulk Smash! posted:

Here's Puck putting the sword back in.

Also, he loses some of his soul in the process and that's why he's small..? Dwarfism means you have less of a soul apparently?

Y'know, life is way too uh.... short (sigh)... to get hung up on it but it really is weird that the English language conflates male height with worth.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Yeah, she's in the process of turning into a deflated paper-like shape to drift away from an explosion. The two-faces thing is actually from the earlier in the same series, too. That and the compressed transformation supposedly are really difficult, but she does a ton of wacky poo poo with shapeshifting in her solo series alone, like making a test tube out of herself(???), turning her arms into plane wings, aforementioned giving herself more arms and faces to shoot more people at once, and shifting her organs into her feet to take a bullet to the chest.

The series ran from 2003-2005 and supposedly her powers have only gotten better/stupider since.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Retro Futurist posted:

Byrne just had him as a dwarf with peak athleticism, Mantlo did all the weird stuff.

I read up on this yesterday and it's kinda sad. Byrne wrote Puck as a little person (?) based on a friend if his, and just because of a line where Puck mentions he's always in pain (because of his achondroplasty), Mantlo starts with this ACTUALLY HE'S A NORMO WITH DEMON HELL AGHHHFFPRR.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Huh, normally it's Byrne doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

davidspackage posted:

I read up on this yesterday and it's kinda sad. Byrne wrote Puck as a little person (?) based on a friend if his, and just because of a line where Puck mentions he's always in pain (because of his achondroplasty), Mantlo starts with this ACTUALLY HE'S A NORMO WITH DEMON HELL AGHHHFFPRR.

Puck suffered a lot because Byrne made an admirable effort to make him feel lived in and in the autumn of a long and exciting life, so he'll occasionally toss off an oblique reference to some previous adventure as a fun little character beat which then re-emerges, years later, as some godawful bit of Mantlo or James Hudnall business. For example, early on he makes an aside to knowing Ernest Hemingway, which inexplicably later unfolds into a deeply stupid time travel story because it's not like Hemingway was alive into the 60s or anything like that, no, you've gotta meet him in the 30s and also have Wolverine there for some reason.