Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, but what does the Chicago PD do in the show?

Add comedy relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Also, here's one thing that didn't age well: the intro itself. I was watching a DVD of Bosom Buddies (which also had its Billy Joel song replaced with....something lame I can't remember) and the entire loving intro went on for a full minute. Nowadays that can't even happen unless you're a drama, but for a half-hour TV show? That's a good sign of just how much commercials took over in the coming decades along with how lazy a lot of sitcom writing has gotten.

The only show I can think of now with super long intros is The Simpsons. But I think that’s because they’ve run out of ideas and need the filler. Saw a newish episode the other day and there was a 5 minute Lord of the Rings parody as a couch gag. Fresh.

I miss sitcoms that told you the premise of the show in the intro. Like The Nanny or Diff’rent Strokes. Every show should have a jaunty little tune that introduces the plot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like a Columbo thread wouldn't hurt in TVIV....but OTOH, it's TVIV.

Amazon has the complete Columbo box set for $42.99 (and includes a couple of Mrs. Columbo eps).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Amazon has the complete Columbo box set for $42.99 (and includes a couple of Mrs. Columbo eps).

Already have it, homeskillet.

I grew up watching A&E back when it was basically a murder mystery channel, and Columbo was a favorite.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My wife thought Columbo was a dumb show for the longest time, but then she caught the beginning of an episode with me. I didn't say a word about what I was watching and she grew more and more invested and interested.

Then Columbo showed up and I saw her heart sink when she realized she was fully captivated by the show.

She's got an aversion to older shows that I find really weird. I think she sees the older camera work, that certain type of film, and automatically assumes it's for old people and boring. She'll even agree that they're good shows, but for old people, and not watch them. She's the same way with Kolchak, too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

compared to Louise making absolutely sure Hugo understands the great piece of pedophile wordplay her dad cooked up in the pilot.
Louise wrote that because she was trying to shock people, because she's 9. Bob's Burgers has always been far from shock humor. That just isn't what it's about, and it never was.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SEX BURRITO posted:

The only show I can think of now with super long intros is The Simpsons. But I think that’s because they’ve run out of ideas and need the filler. Saw a newish episode the other day and there was a 5 minute Lord of the Rings parody as a couch gag. Fresh.

I miss sitcoms that told you the premise of the show in the intro. Like The Nanny or Diff’rent Strokes. Every show should have a jaunty little tune that introduces the plot.

In fairness they've been using the intro and couch gags to fill time since the very beginning, such as this one that they used multiple times.

That said, they definitely have gotten longer in recent years, especially the guest-animated ones.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Flipping channels and stumbled upon Runaway, a 1984 sci-fi movie about rogue robots and the police division that deals with them. Tom Selleck is the main cop while Gene Simmons is the evil scientist who creates microchips that allow robots to turn on and KILL ALL HUMANS!

The robots are hilariously outdated, but at the beginning, they send in what is essentially a drone with a camera to figure out where a household robot (with a loaded gun) is so that they can rescue a helpless baby. At one point, Selleck has to rescue Kirstie Alley, who is being held at bay by an office robot. Tom's solution? Beat the robot to death with a metal folding chair.

One neat invention is Simmons' heat-seeking smart bullets.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Flipping channels and stumbled upon Runaway, a 1984 sci-fi movie about rogue robots and the police division that deals with them. Tom Selleck is the main cop while Gene Simmons is the evil scientist who creates microchips that allow robots to turn on and KILL ALL HUMANS!

The robots are hilariously outdated, but at the beginning, they send in what is essentially a drone with a camera to figure out where a household robot (with a loaded gun) is so that they can rescue a helpless baby. At one point, Selleck has to rescue Kirstie Alley, who is being held at bay by an office robot. Tom's solution? Beat the robot to death with a metal folding chair.

One neat invention is Simmons' heat-seeking smart bullets.

Beating a killer robot to death with a folding chair seems like a timeless solution to a killer robot problem. I think that's how Liu Bang defeated the killer robots of the Western Chu.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Nah, they totally stole that from the Robot Wrestling League.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm not going to blame the writers for not knowing what we know today: that the one true weakness of killer robots is fountains with steps.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The podcast How Did This Get Made did a good episode on Runaway. It really is a terrible movie.

The heat seeking bullets and robot spiders were good though.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Oh Christ on a loving cracker, there it is. And I think the singer did something for Beverly Hills Cop that was far, far superior as well so it's not her fault...it's the fault of the idiots who couldn't get the original music.

And speaking of which, this does set up the premise pretty well. Maybe it was so long so the whole show wasn't called out in some kind of Reaganesque gay panic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UI_JwF3cnA

Either way, I'll defend the intro of the show. The second season opener (because that was the first episode on the set I got, thanks Big Lots) has some problematic ways of getting rid of said premise.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Supposedly Peter Falk himself didn't believe that Columbo's wife even existed until the Cruise Ship episode confirmed she was real. I think you're right though that every fact about her beyond her existence that he tells is a lie. There's no way she is a fan of or interested in the work of every single person her husband investigates for murder.

Oh yeah, plus Columbo uses various members of his extended family to push a point whenever he has to. I remember some nephews being into archery or some other poo poo that was wholly designed to irritate and annoy by proxy. It was pretty brilliant. There should be a thread on the show somewhere, it's a shame older shows get the short shrift like that.

EDIT: D'oh! The singer of the DVD version of the theme song didn't sing anything in Beverly Hills Cop, that was the talented Patti LaBelle doing 'Stir It Up.' Which is a pretty good song....however, the thing that didn't age that well is Patti's hair. Eek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtOoeDPc9uI

Mad Doctor Cthulhu has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Jan 10, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A while back in CInema Discusso somebody posted (made?) a poster for a Columbo remake on netflix starring Mark Ruffalo, I actually was pretty intrigued by the concept

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I attempted to make a joke about how much the shows attitudes has flipped and those 2 episodes were the most direct points of comparison because they had the same subject matter. I guess it misfired, sorry. That episode actually is one of the better S1 episodes especially compared to Louise making absolutely sure Hugo understands the great piece of pedophile wordplay her dad cooked up in the pilot.

Uh that pedophile wordplay was done by Louise herself, do you hate the show because you're too stupid to follow the plot? Like, Jesus, what kind of brain injury makes someone so angry about a cartoon they've clearly never even paid attention to?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

letthereberock posted:

A lot of you youngins might not know that Ben Stiller had a short lived sketch comedy show in the early 90s.

I remember thinking it was hilarious at the time. A few years ago I went back and rewatched it- and while some of the sketches still work, SO much of it is steeped in the pop culture of the time that it's almost incomprehensible.

Like, every episode includes 2 or 3 shot-for-shot parodies of commercials that were on tv at the time. I can barely remember most of these commercials, and I pretty much did nothing with my life at the time besides watch tv.

Seriously, can anyone who wasn't around in 1991 possibly make sense of this?
https://youtu.be/SXmFYSNbtII

This is all the way back from page 3 and while I have no idea about the specific ad it imo held up as far as the “how corporations think cool people talk” thing goes. Stiller’s delivery nails it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Original L&O rules, as long as we're talking about the episodes up until Briscoe's departure.
I remember when Jerry Orbach retired from the show. Then a few months later he died of cancer. It was one of those moments where I was surprised at how sad I was a tthe loss of someone I hadn't ever even met.

VideoGames posted:

My favourite thing about Columbo, and the reason I think it is my favourite detective show, is approaching every episode as Columbo being the villain. He often shows up so late into the story after we have gotten to know the antagonist of that week.

By the time he makes his apperance we get a much better idea of why a crime was committed (some of which even border into 'I wish they had gotten away with it') and the back and forth between the two leads is genuinely more interesting for it.
The most amazing writing teacher in the world (Peter Sourian) once said that that's a great technique to use when telling a story, give the reader more information than the characters. I might have to start watching Columbo now.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned how strangely Reno 911! has aged, but this clip is downright prescient. http://www.cc.com/video-clips/uwni9w/reno-911--vote-for-terry

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

food court bailiff posted:

Uh that pedophile wordplay was done by Louise herself, do you hate the show because you're too stupid to follow the plot? Like, Jesus, what kind of brain injury makes someone so angry about a cartoon they've clearly never even paid attention to?

I don't hate Bob's Burgers, I like it a lot. I just don't think Season 1 was good. I think Season 2 was okay with a handful of good episodes mixed in. And I think Season 3 and on are excellent. That's it. You're right I don't know the plot to Season 1 episodes very well because I don't like most season 1 episodes and have only seen them once a long time ago.

My opinions are:
Bob's Burgers is a good show
Season 1 is not good
This is because it relied more heavily on a style of humor I do not enjoy than in later seasons

That's it.

I have no idea how this became a derail and I apologize.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

Every show should have a jaunty little tune that introduces the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEOwTeI9geI

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On Columbo, the best description of it a a detective show isn't a "whodunnit", but more a "howcatchem". Coz we know who did it, and why and how, but the joy is watching this shabby, dirty clown outwit and outmaneuver the smug stcuk up smartypants who thinks they have committed the perfect murder.

And I think Mark Ruffalo would have been good as a rebooted Columbo. Think his character in Now You See Me. An unshaven, seemingly unqualified loser who outsmarts the smug pricks, who constantly think they are better than him right up until the end when they discover they have been got.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

I used to watch Columbo religiously when I was a little kid, they'd play an episode every Sunday on this local channel and I loved them all to bits. A few years back I got the box set for around 20 euros on Amazon and I watched an episode every night before bed. Like some have said before, even the 70s episodes mostly hold up really well. Of course some references are dated and some of the plot points are hilarious, but in the end you're watching the show to see these smug scumbags dig their own grave because they think they're smarter than the Lieutenant.

Of course some are really, really dated. I'm surprised nobody has brought up the one where the robot from Forbidden Planet is part of the case. That one, the one where he has to wait for what feels like minutes for a super computer to give him some dumb piece of info... I'd say that the interesting thing here is that I mostly seem to remember the "modern" (late 80s/90s) episodes as way more dated than the original ones, maybe because by then the character is a bit self referential.

In any case one endearing thing I remember loving from my rewatch was that as part of his investigation or sometimes just as a little trait thing, Columbo was eager to learn about something on every episode. Usually just to be a pest to the killer, often to get an important piece of info. This often dates the episodes a little but of course it is kind of sweet to see this dishevelled detective ask about fax machines and such.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Robbie the Robot showing up sounds loving rad.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Robbie the Robot showing up sounds loving rad.

No, no, don't take me wrong - it is hilarious. It is clear that they knew the viewers would find it funny and not just because it was a robot cameo, but Columbo plays it straight if I remember it right, and . Really, the whole show is endearing with things like this.

Seriously:

This is great. You've got the robot, the kid who is a scientist and Columbo bumbling his way around. Too bad the way he solves that case is pretty cheap if I remember right (he doesn't have enough evidence so he accuses the killer's son. To save his son's rear end, the killer confesses), but, welp.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like what I've seen of Columbo but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. There's a lot of police/detective procedurals from the 70s I haven't seen which were around for years and years. I like Kojak (though, again, haven't seen all of it) because Telly Savalas is a fun actor but then you have stuff like Police Story or McCloud which were on for about eight seasons, or Police Woman with Angie Dickinson, which I think was the first one with a female lead, but overall seem like more of those shows that just don't seem to be remembered.

Can anyone explain to me what set Hill Street Blues apart from its predecessors?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
When I was in college in the 1990s and often stayed up all night, one of the cheaper Norwegian TV channels used to fill their graveyard slots with (among other things) old episodes of "The Streets of San Fransisco" starring Karl Malden's nose, I remember those fondly. IIRC there was one episode where Arnold Schwarzenegger guest starred as the villain.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

This is all the way back from page 3 and while I have no idea about the specific ad it imo held up as far as the “how corporations think cool people talk” thing goes. Stiller’s delivery nails it.

They had a good Cape Fear parody too. The show barely even lasted one season so it’s not like they had much of a chance to find their style.

Andy Dick was on that show wasn’t he? Yeah. That didn’t age well at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Groke posted:

IIRC there was one episode where Arnold Schwarzenegger guest starred as the villain.

Oh, yes, that's the one where he plays a bodybuilder (showing his range) who shakes (?) a woman to death when she laughs at him because he looked silly when he flexed.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The Steven Spielburg directed episode of Columbo is one of the best, as is the one with Donald Pleasance as the villain. I felt so sorry for him the whole way through and I think Columbo does too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wheat Loaf posted:

Can anyone explain to me what set Hill Street Blues apart from its predecessors?

It's hard to describe, but Hill Street Blues felt like real people, on both sides of the law, and not just archetypes being played by actors.

Everyone was flawed, bad things happened to good people and the station felt used.

To take a quick sideways swerve, the difference is like the difference between Alien's Nostromo and every sci fi spaceship which came before it. The Nostromo was a working ship, nothing flash, obviously lived in and worked hard. Grease, stains, steam, dripping water, rust and dirty marks everywhere.

Hill Street Blues was like that, too. Everything was lived in, worn down and a bit broken. Like people worked there drat hard every day for years, rather than some pristine set where they could never pan too far up or you'd see the spotlights.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's hard to describe, but Hill Street Blues felt like real people, on both sides of the law, and not just archetypes being played by actors.

Everyone was flawed, bad things happened to good people and the station felt used.

To take a quick sideways swerve, the difference is like the difference between Alien's Nostromo and every sci fi spaceship which came before it. The Nostromo was a working ship, nothing flash, obviously lived in and worked hard. Grease, stains, steam, dripping water, rust and dirty marks everywhere.

Hill Street Blues was like that, too. Everything was lived in, worn down and a bit broken. Like people worked there drat hard every day for years, rather than some pristine set where they could never pan too far up or you'd see the spotlights.

You beat me to pretty much all of what I wanted to say, but yeah: Hill Street Blues is one of my favorite ensemble dramas, ever. I used to stay up late to watch it in syndication in high school, and as such I didn't necessarily catch every episode in order, but I knew I was watching good TV, something kinda unlike anything I'd seen before. A couple of years ago I sat down and watched the first five seasons in something like a month-long binge and being able to do so in such a way that I could enjoy the longer arcs and the rich character development made it even better.

I'd recommend it to anyone, honestly. Treat it like a period piece. Oh, and of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNeumpm8Ti4

one of the all-time best TV theme songs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leavemywife posted:

My wife thought Columbo was a dumb show for the longest time, but then she caught the beginning of an episode with me. I didn't say a word about what I was watching and she grew more and more invested and interested.

Then Columbo showed up and I saw her heart sink when she realized she was fully captivated by the show.

She's got an aversion to older shows that I find really weird. I think she sees the older camera work, that certain type of film, and automatically assumes it's for old people and boring. She'll even agree that they're good shows, but for old people, and not watch them. She's the same way with Kolchak, too.

haha. My ex was the same way and sued to give me poo poo bout watching "old man" shows. She's make funny but I don't think she ever actually watched an episode. Then she'd watch garbage like Dancing With the Stars.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I consider Hill Street Blues the evolutionary result of Barney Miller. Both had a grittier, less glamorous look at police work, but Hill Street Blues also had sex.

But without Barney Miller there is never a Hill Street Blues and maybe never a Law & Order. Barney Miller is patient zero for good cop shows.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So it's like Barney Miller -> Hill Street Blues -> NYPD Blue -> Law and Order -> CSI?

BUT ALSO

Barney Miller -> Hill Street Blues -> Homicide: Life On the Street -> The Wire?

I guess ground zero for police procedurals on TV must be Dragnet.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Most of y'all American goons probably won't be familiar with this, but for us Euro types the big old cop show is the German effort "Derrick". Ran for 25 years or something like that. Functionally pretty similar to Columbo except without the frumpiness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_(TV_series)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

haha. My ex was the same way and sued to give me poo poo bout watching "old man" shows. She's make funny but I don't think she ever actually watched an episode. Then she'd watch garbage like Dancing With the Stars.

Mine wouldn't watch anything that came out before she was born (early 90s) and called me a pathetic loser for not watching reality TV.

She was not a good person

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Len posted:

Mine wouldn't watch anything that came out before she was born (early 90s) and called me a pathetic loser for not watching reality TV.

She was not a good person

Doesn't sound like she's aged too well.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I know South Park has been beaten to death in the early pages of the thread but I can't stop thinking about TV episodes that did not age well without the Pewdiepie episode coming up. Not just because of Pewdiepie but it's take on games streaming in general.

Wasn't there an episode of Spin City where a billionaire runs against the mayor and loses after the mayor gives an impassioned speech about public service and responsibility? :allears:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MariusLecter posted:

I know South Park has been beaten to death in the early pages of the thread but I can't stop thinking about TV episodes that did not age well without the Pewdiepie episode coming up. Not just because of Pewdiepie but it's take on games streaming in general.

Their take seemed to be that they don't understand it at all but kids seem to love it, is that wrong? Kyle fights against the death of tv/the living room but fails because the younger generation has its own things.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Gaunab posted:

Chicago PD is the ends justify the means of SVU knocked up a notch. Every once in a while there's a scene where they torture suspect or the main detective ask if they want to execute a criminal because the criminal threatened someones family or something. The excuse for all this is that they're a special team who only deals with the worst criminals.

yea but Chicago cops really, in real life, had a secret interrogation site for "off-the-record" interrogations so that sounds kind of realistic imo

Barudak posted:

Please dont overlook that in American Beauty he gets a severance package worth $60,000 when he gets fired, about $90,000 today.

yea because he blackmailed his boss lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The best episodes of South Park will always be the ones that parody genre themes more then anything. Ones like "The losing edge" and "Aspen" will stay pretty genuinely good because they arent aping specific events too closely to age them badly.