Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vermain posted:

Man, poo poo, they're really cheap now, too. Relic tier 3 is 1900, Spellthief is 1800, and Oasis is only 1500. That's within around 400-500g saved getting Sightstone, which is fantastic.

Other PBE changes: Aftershock now gives 100 (!) Armor/MR with no scaling and damage is down to 10-120 from 40-140. Guardian's up to a 70s cooldown. Ornn got whalloped (30s CD increase on his rank 3 ult, no more unstoppable on Bellow's) and Jinx got buffed with a bunch of QoL stuff.

Ornn is already falling in popularity and winrate and now it's time to nerf him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Rammus has been popular for a while dude, especially as a counterpick to all AD teams which are still pretty common. Outside of the autists that main him for whatever reason, he's an incredibly loving boring character to play constantly.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Ornn is already falling in popularity and winrate and now it's time to nerf him again.

He deserves it.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 10, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

i figure thats the most likely outcome of this

I think you'd have to be legit crazy to not buy Sightstone now. With the new cost, Eye of the Watchers is slightly over 100% gold efficient, and that's not even counting any of its non-stat passives.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Good. gently caress his busted, overloaded kit.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
(watching ornn waddle around slowly & do basically nothing) gently caress this overloaded kit WHY is this bullshit champion allowed to slowly walk away from or OR slowly walk towards me

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

free username: ornny on main

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Vermain posted:

Whole bunch of skins coming in 8.2, including Arctic Ops Gragas, Sweetheart Xayah/Rakan, and Lunar Revel Lux/Nasus/Warwick.

Nice try riot, but a super saiyan nasus skin aint gonna stop me from playing dbzf. :colbert:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In a pre-season full of burst damage, taking away the relic shield option to shield a teammate is really gonna suck.

They are doing this the wrong way, people always built the active support items over the sightstone combined items because the actives were fun and impactful, now you just no longer have the option to build the active items.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

In a pre-season full of burst damage, taking away the relic shield option to shield a teammate is really gonna suck.

They are doing this the wrong way, people always built the active support items over the sightstone combined items because the actives were fun and impactful, now you just no longer have the option to build the active items.

I very rarely saw anyone building actives last season all the way from Silver to high Plat. I've only really started seeing Face in preseason because of a combination of how bonkers burst damage is and the short duration of games making it more impactful in a shorter span of time.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Vermain posted:

Man, poo poo, they're really cheap now, too. Relic tier 3 is 1900, Spellthief is 1800, and Oasis is only 1500. That's within around 400-500g saved getting Sightstone, which is fantastic.

Other PBE changes: Aftershock now gives 100 (!) Armor/MR with no scaling and damage is down to 10-120 from 40-140. Guardian's up to a 70s cooldown. Ornn got whalloped (30s CD increase on his rank 3 ult, no more unstoppable on Bellow's) and Jinx got buffed with a bunch of QoL stuff.

Yeah one of the first things I thought of when I saw those changes is the support items are getting just cartoonishly gold efficient between the passive/quest reward/bandit/free sightstone

e: oh I see the old quest rewards are replaced by sightstone but still bandit alone probably gets you back like half of the 350 by itself

Monicro fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 10, 2018

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
my ID: ornny DMs open

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Okay, this is actually even better than I thought. You get the tier 2 gold gen item, you do whatever the gimmick is in lane for 500g, and then it just turns into a Sightstone with 3 charges. The benefit from combining it is that you get more stats and an extra charge, but you can literally just keep it at the 500g version and go build whatever else. This also conveniently kills off the Targon's meta. I think I'm just gonna wait until this patch is out before diving into ranked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

(watching ornn waddle around slowly & do basically nothing) gently caress this overloaded kit WHY is this bullshit champion allowed to slowly walk away from or OR slowly walk towards me

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Orrn is actually the best champion because cartoonishly suicidal depressed Walrus is an amazing characterization for a game that tries way too hard to be serious sometimes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

Orrn is actually the best champion because cartoonishly suicidal depressed Walrus is an amazing characterization for a game that tries way too hard to be serious sometimes.

He's not Eeyore; he's just very taciturn and stiff.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
my only interaction with orn was my first game playing jarvan iv and we remade because our adc never loaded in

he looked neat i guess?

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I love how the thing getting the most rage in the comments of the patch notes is the heimer nerfs.

Who the gently caress even is heimerdinger?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
donger players upset that they have to actually play the game to 2v1 now

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Camel Camus posted:

I love how the thing getting the most rage in the comments of the patch notes is the heimer nerfs.

Humorously, even Heisendong - probably the world's best Heimerdinger one-trick - agreed that the nerf was justified. Big Bertha basically guaranteed that you won every single 1v2 against jungle ganks if you were even moderately competent at Heimer.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Nobody who has ever had to gank a Heimerdinger and watched his PvE ult tower continue to kill you to death from 60% after you instagib Heimer is upset about these nerfs

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
NEW CHAMPION - CODE NAMED “ BIG GUY „

Who is this mysterious traveller?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

just picked up LoL and want to get back into it. I'm a Dota 2 player, and have experience with MOBAs. I'm not a total noob. that being said, I want to play ranked ASAP but there's a level 30 entry bar and 20 heroes purchased requirement.

how long will it take me to achieve these requirements? I would rather not be stuck doing coop vs AI with a bunch of scripters who just constantly run into the enemy base and die.

I also do not want to spend RL money to purchase champions from the store.

I also made this account back in 2015 and I swear I had a bunch of champions, but upon logging in, I'm level 1 and have barely any champs.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 10, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I had 20 champs after about a month of play. If you you just buy cheap champs or get lucky with shard drops you could probably get there in a few weeks. I think the ramp up to L30 might be smoother now as well.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Q8ee posted:

just picked up LoL and want to get back into it. I'm a Dota 2 player, and have experience with MOBAs. I'm not a total noob. that being said, I want to play ranked ASAP but there's a level 30 entry bar and 20 heroes purchased requirement.

how long will it take me to achieve these requirements? I would rather not be stuck doing coop vs AI with a bunch of scripters who just constantly run into the enemy base and die.

I also made this account back in 2015 and I swear I had a bunch of champions, but upon logging in, I'm level 1 and have barely any champs.

the 1 to 30 grind kind of sucks no matter what but there are really good heroes for every role at the lowest essence prices (450 or 1300). it shouldn't take too long if you just buy up the cheap heroes.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

do you get IP after each game? how many games does it take to rack up 450 IP? poo poo has changed so much since I last played in 2014. I remember there'd be free champions on rotation each week, and grinding IP wasn't too difficult.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Q8ee posted:

do you get IP after each game? how many games does it take to rack up 450 IP? poo poo has changed so much since I last played in 2014. I remember there'd be free champions on rotation each week, and grinding IP wasn't too difficult.

You get 50 BE (what used to be IP) from your first win of the day, however you only get BE from chests, or by dusting champion shards. You do also get more shards/BE every time you level before 30 though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Volibear overhaul coming when?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Q8ee posted:

50BE from first win of the day, and the champion shards you get when you level up will usually be worth 800-1200BE if you dust them all so level up once and you can probably get 2 champs right off the bat. 14 champions on free rotation each week.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Realistically, what should I be spending my IP / BE on? I'm fine with free champs, and I'll purchase my most favourite champs so I always have a fallback to play if free champs aren't my style.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Q8ee posted:

Realistically, what should I be spending my IP / BE on? I'm fine with free champs, and I'll purchase my most favourite champs so I always have a fallback to play if free champs aren't my style.

Just buy the 450 champs, there are good ones for every role. Feel free to ask the thread which ones to buy once you decide which role(s) you want to focus on.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I appreciate the help, guys. Playing LoL after such a huge break is pretty refreshing, and I much prefer the pacing and style of this game compared to Dota 2. Everything felt so sluggish and floaty in Dota 2.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Q8ee posted:

You'll be able to unlock Blind Pick after enough AI games (level 6) then Draft Pick soon after (level 10?). Draft Pick isn't ranked, but you get to choose your preferred roles before you queue and then you get dropped in the game with a label of JUNGLE, TOP, MID, etc. Really nice change coming from DotA. (People still slapfight about lanes anyway though)

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You can also buy an account that’s already level 30 for like $10, but you have to be careful about where you buy it from because you need to buy non-botted ones so you don’t get banned later

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Did some more testing with the new PBE Sightstones. There's some interesting implications with how the quest currently functions:
  • Spellthief is the high risk/high reward option for Sightstones. If you perfectly optimize your Spellthief charges and go back immediately for Frostfang as soon as you get 500g, you can complete the quest in about 6:40. If you end up in a bad lane where proccing Spellthief is impossible, however, you're easily the slowest of the bunch when it comes to getting Sightstone.
  • Coin is the medium risk/medium reward option. You don't get any real combat stats, but coin drops are guaranteed and don't require you to do anything more dangerous than picking them up. Without Bandit procs, you can complete the quest in about 7:40.
  • Relic is the low risk/low reward option. You have lane sustain and bonus HP, but you have the slowest gains by far. You're looking to finish around 8:40 or so with perfect Relic charge optimization (prioritizing melees and cannons).
Coin and Relic can both have their gains be sped up by Bandit procs. With perfect Bandit optimization on Coin on a ranged champ, I was getting a solid minute shaved off of quest completion. This is obviously much harder to do on melee champs, which seems to encourage more all-ins or roams if you're looking to finish your quest early on a melee support.

There's both positives and negatives to the change. Getting pushed out of lane early with Relic or Spellthief feels bad, since it slows down the pace of you being able to get Sightstone considerably and, consequently, limits your options for getting back into the game through vision control (via avoiding ganks, getting jungler information, controlling river/dragon, etc.). However, you also have 800g to throw around that you never did before, meaning that it's easier to fight your way out of a deficit instead of feeling obligated to spend that money on a measly amount of health and thus slip further and further behind the curve. It's probably a nerf to roaming supports, but I couldn't say how bad of a one off the cuff.

At a minimum, I suspect they're going to have to nerf Relic to apply the same sort of charge generation malus that Spellthief has. I think the last thing anyone wants to see is Vayne with a Sightstone working with her support to put down a completely impregnable wall of wards and farm in total safety, or GP taking Relic, getting fat off of Bandit charges, and then turning top into his own tiny island of vision. You might also see hits to Spellthief or Frostfang depending on if junglers start taking it in lieu of Tracker's Knife, but I think the charge time it would take to complete the quest on a jungler is simply too long to make it worthwhile.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 10, 2018

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vermain posted:

Humorously, even Heisendong - probably the world's best Heimerdinger one-trick - agreed that the nerf was justified. Big Bertha basically guaranteed that you won every single 1v2 against jungle ganks if you were even moderately competent at Heimer.

I am a new, self-declared Dongerhonger main and the only reason I'm upset about the nerf is that I didn't realize the big turret was so good

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

they're testing making targeted spells draw creep aggro for the next patch which is kinda interesting, they might actually start making targeted spells again.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I kinda don't like kleptomancy and to a lesser extent bandit, it makes you feel worse in a bad lane when you get poked by the other guy and you can't retaliate when you know that everytime you get poked your potentially giving the guy 100g or a elixir powerup for a few minutes.

In top lane when they have klepto I feel like I don't even want to get into any trades at all with the other guy when you know your just giving them a free kills worth of gold everytime they go back.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical posted:

they're testing making targeted spells draw creep aggro for the next patch which is kinda interesting, they might actually start making targeted spells again.

or this is just to further dissuade you from playing the remaining champions with targeted spells in a lead-up to converting more of them to skillshots

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Radical posted:

they might actually start making targeted spells again.

Ew, please no

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Radical posted:

they might as well, targeted spells already draw tower aggro which as someone coming from DotA feels weird and awful already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Elephunk posted:

they might as well, targeted spells already draw tower aggro which as someone coming from DotA feels weird and awful already

To be fair, ANY damage draws tower aggro, even the enemy hurting himself on your bramble vest.

I'm really hoping they don't implement that change. More targeted spells on the other hand, would be cool and good, maybe they'll finally release a new champion I would actually want to play.