Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I immediately uninstalled WhatsApp when it refused to work without being able to read all of my contacts, am I just being overly paranoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's not paranoia when you're right

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
my friends use telegram for groups. it works fine. i dont trust it for private chats so if thats needed i just move to signal.

telegram has annoying issues when you merge it with phone contacts and use the web interface tho

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

just use imessage

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Just turned my computer off

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

was it safe to turn off your computer

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Volmarias posted:

I immediately uninstalled WhatsApp when it refused to work without being able to read all of my contacts, am I just being overly paranoid?

that ship already sailed when truecaller etc. harvested your contact from your contacts.

it's the facebook problem: you can hide as much as you want but the idiots around you will tag you and publish your details anyway.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

joke's on them though, my contacts are 99% this garbled garbage data that got written to it by a hosed up buggy plugin i used a while ago and which i can't ever seem to remove because everything that's imported my contacts keeps putting it back and then it gets back-imported into other poo poo and ugh

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

on that note, apparently russian linux community has some homegrown messenger that needs in-person meeting with mutual qr code scanning to add someone to your contacts. :eyepop:

signal has a thing like this but it'd be after creating the conversation: "show safety number" in convo details and compare QR codes

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

that's from the original redphone/textsecure implementation where it was more exposed and before qr comparison was added as a feature

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

was it safe to turn off your computer

It turned off as far as I know. Lights shut down and fan stopped whirling. My trolls died away

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i love weird little cargo-cult security stuff average people do, like how she changed passwords in an incognito window because that makes it More Security i guess?

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 9, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ate all the Oreos posted:

i love weird little cargo-cult security stuff average people do, like how she changed passwords in an incognito window because that makes it More Security i guess?

Everyone knows that incognito leaves no traces on your computer and means you can’t be tracked! Why would you change your password where it can be tracked.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
chrome doesn't pop up that thing asking to save your password in incognito mode so that's probably why someone thinks it's more secure

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

chrome doesn't pop up that thing asking to save your password in incognito mode so that's probably why someone thinks it's more secure

idk i think it's more likely that they just think it's "security mode" or like, their nephew who's really good with computers told them it's safer or something i don't think they'd notice something like that

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Telegram is used exclusively by furries and Iranians and they rolled their own crypto

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

atomicthumbs posted:

Telegram is used exclusively by furries and Iranians and they rolled their own crypto

man the revolutionary guard are in for a shock when they finally crack the mysterious "foxcatchers" messages

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what was thread consensus on telegram? im trying it out as a whatsapp replacement for sending cat photos to relatives and stupid jokes to friends and it seems ok + im happy to share less with facebook even if that means sharing more with less overreaching vk/kgb/whatever

whatsapp is definitely more kgb secure than telegram if only because telegram doesn’t encrypt chats by default

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'm the implication that telegram encryption isn't broken by said agency

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the federal security bureau of russia is more “break by decree” than “break by outsmarting” like american agencies when it comes to domestic surveillance

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the federal security bureau of russia is more “break by decree” than “break by outsmarting” like american agencies when it comes to domestic surveillance

pretty sure the fbi and :nsa: are in the former racket as well

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

she had heard some experts say that being anonymous and encrypted online equals being more secure

soon she’ll be installing Catalyst beta drivers to stop NSA using GPU meltdown in a browser to steal her computer secrets

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

security through being completely boring

ain't nobody hackin my posts

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Are there any good security-related magazines out there? I'm having a hard time keeping track of this thread the latest developments and I figure it might help.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
LetsEncrypt has disabled tls-sni challenges due to "strong credibility of a vulnerability report": https://letsencrypt.status.io/pages/incident/55957a99e800baa4470002da/5a55777ed9a9c1024c00b241

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SardonicTyrant posted:

Are there any good security-related magazines out there? I'm having a hard time keeping track of this thread the latest developments and I figure it might help.
magazines?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
y'know, a zine

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A collection of articles about Donald Trump

A "MAGA 'zine", if you will.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
since it's apparently 1992, i'd say 2600

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

idk i think it's more likely that they just think it's "security mode" or like, their nephew who's really good with computers told them it's safer or something i don't think they'd notice something like that

who cares

it's a good reflex. it's totally harmless to overuse it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

poc||gtfo is good but it’s not going to tell you like the current state of encryption or whatever. for that kind of stuff you’re better off reading krebs or schneier

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

infernal machines posted:

since it's apparently 1992, i'd say 2600

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

theyre called clips

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

i use telegram because nobody else in the world seems to use signal and it works "fine" but i don't trust the security or anything

:same:

so now the NKVD KGB FSB knows the things I talk about with my friends

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Volmarias posted:

no

that’s the sort of thing that leads to sex workers real-name profiles being recommended to clients and poo poo

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i am in the good position of everyone who i talk to either using imessage, which is good enough for most things, or using anroid without any other messageing apps which they have already set to take over incomign SMS/MMS

and if people are exclusivily using plain texts with default texting apps on anroid, i have found it a very easy sell to say "just use signal instead for all of your texting, its probably legitimately nicer to use than the messaging app on your phone, and it sends in a better encrypted way if the person youre texting also uses signal otherwise it just sends a plain text, so its really a pure upgrade without you having to know or do or care about anything"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

bicycle posted:

telegram has annoying issues when you merge it with phone contacts and use the web interface tho

why the gently caress would you use the web interface to anything that has a real UI

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

PoC || GTFO
Boardwatch
Compute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

duz posted:

theyre called clips

I thought they were cartridges, like printers

• Locked thread