Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arglebargle III posted:

Are harpies really a good counter to hellf fliers?

No. You can use like 2/3 harpies to chase off Phoenixes (or 1 for a Great Eagle). Dragons you really need to fight with Dragons or take them down with Darkshards since Black Dragons lose 1 on 1 vs Star and Moon variants.

But Harpies are really good against lower tier poo poo. Like a single unit of Harpies can take out a unit of Gyrocopters easily, or drive off a Manticore/Great Eagle/Vargheists etc even if they don't decisively beat them. And then you can land them in your opponent's artillery/archers or use them to lock down Cav so you get a charge or use them as flankers etc. They have really high weapon strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, Greenskins are just boring.

I played a Skarsnik campaign way back when, and that was good fun. Nonstop rough battles, but doable battles. Turning my gobbos into basically little minotaurs that just charge through everything. It was super hilarious and very "orky".

The actual Greenskin campaign though kinda sucks. Basic boyz and even the bigger stuff like my Black Orcs don't seem like they can handle much of anything. They can sure, but they are real beat up after it in ways I wouldn't expect orcs to be. Somehow I have a full 20/20 stack from Karak Azul heading to Varaya's Sorrow by turn 8, and after pushing it back just barely I see two more 20/20 stacks of Karak Azul armies right behind them. I've also got a bunch of Dwarf stacks starting to come down from the north.

I finally figure out I can just confederate the Red Fangs after beating them up initially, and great. Cool. Now I own most of the Badlands but can't do poo poo with it anyways, because none of my units feel good in a fight against Dwarfs. Also fighting in and around the Badlands doesn't really feel that great.

Grimgor is awesome. He hits like a truck and is a hilarious monster. It's just everything supporting him is......not great.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’m curious how expensive those carrion swarms are, since it looks like lack of air and mobility in general will be the weak points of TKs

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

e: double

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Harpies are just one of those units that are better in multiplayer than singleplayer. I mainly just use them to chase down anything that is fleeing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is it a good idea to shoot at enemy flyers who are meleeing with your own flyers? I'm not sure how friendly fire works yet.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

You will definitely pepper your own flyers, any missiles can friendly fire your troops whether they're on the ground or in the air.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Is it a good idea to shoot at enemy flyers who are meleeing with your own flyers? I'm not sure how friendly fire works yet.

If the enemy flyer is more expensive than yours then go for it. It also depends on how big the units are. If your dragon is being attacked by an eagle or something, expect it to catch a lot more stray arrows than if it were the other way around

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

Rookersh posted:

I too, am playing some standard Greenskin faction (starting as Azhag, but I've recruited Grimgor), and agree that the Crooked Moon were a load more fun with their cheap, weakling gobbos.

I like the challenge that playing Greenskins poses, but dwarves are utterly brutal to fight constantly. The auto-calc values their units immensely (tbf even their basic units are great), and I almost always get considerably better results playing the battle manually. Sadly your free stacks of Orks from fightyness use auto-calc... Even minor dwarf holds are pretty scary when quarrellers are the unit to beat. Dwarf lords and thanes are very good, but mostly because there are so many factions that they're way more numerous than your warbosses.

Personally I've found that basic boyz and boar boyz are 'ok', but I've really leaned on the gobbo units in my roster heavily. Nasty skulkers are MVPs of most pitched melee battles, in a role I expected the boar boyz to perform. Goblin warboss boosted wolf cavalry has been great at keeping ranged units busy, or retreating units dead. Squigs are amazing and also incredibly fragile. I somewhat regret building archers that aren't RoR at all, maybe should just use rock throwers?

Basically I agree here, actual Orks as troops feel very 'meh'. Boars aren't very fast and don't feel very tough (and dwarves don't even use spears!), Boyz are a great unit to stack some buffs on, but they hate getting out-shot.

All that said though, I have been successful. Karaz a Karak fell to Azhag somewhere before turn 30! Grimgor felt easy enough to bring online with the constant dwarf attacks, and a deep raiding goblin that global recruited his whole force has single handedly conquered everything from 8 peaks to Queek.

I think if I do this again I may need to prioritize offense over defense. I've rushed to bonuses like melee defense on Boyz and armor on boars. I've used lords to buff armies rather than taking the Orky fight path that lets you shout WAAAAAGH! (which, while temporary, may be the killyness buff my army needs against these high-skill dwarves). Basically I tried to out-tough stunties, so maybe I am an idiot.

Ork Shaman heroes to support these boyz seem good, but it might not be possible to 'rush'. I got the building done on turn 40 or something (tier 4 structure, you're fighting tooth and claw all the time and may not have optimal growth). Now that I have some, attack boosts cast off winds of magic are a godsend, would have been *awesome* to have from the start.

All that to say, this faction seems a lot tougher to play, but it's not like I don't have a mess of options. I never used Trolls much, for instance, and they seem good vs dwarves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I built an anti-Norsca army during my Belegar campaign so I could go and retake the northern dwarf holds (my gimmick is that after Eight Peaks Belegar decided it was time to collect the entire set) so I sent up a single army from the techno-slayer paradise of Zufbar with 5 organ guns, 10 long gunners, 4 slayers and a runesmith lord to face Norsca and retake the holds. They're extremely funny battles, particularly when you have a chariot/skirmisher spam army and your dwarfs are just gunning the fuckers down wholesale.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

JBP posted:

I built an anti-Norsca army during my Belegar campaign so I could go and retake the northern dwarf holds (my gimmick is that after Eight Peaks Belegar decided it was time to collect the entire set) so I sent up a single army from the techno-slayer paradise of Zufbar with 5 organ guns, 10 long gunners, 4 slayers and a runesmith lord to face Norsca and retake the holds. They're extremely funny battles, particularly when you have a chariot/skirmisher spam army and your dwarfs are just gunning the fuckers down wholesale.
GCCM has a custom Kraka Drak siege map that is super fun to play if you get lucky enough to capture it before the chaos invasion comes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Panfilo posted:

GCCM has a custom Kraka Drak siege map that is super fun to play if you get lucky enough to capture it before the chaos invasion comes.

Chaos started coming while I was up there, so the guys took refuge in Kraka Drak. Turns out it is very hard to defeat a tier 3 dwarf garrison that also has access to hundreds of rifles, especially when your giant breaks down the front door only to be immediately riddled with organ gun lead.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is what Total Warhammer is about. Where else are you going to get to do stuff like this?

I have to say I didn't "get" chariots until this Dark Elf game where their lovely shock cavalry makes you rely on them. Chariots are great.

This battle got me a payday of 66000 gold. Ulthuan is obscenely wealthy and Malekith is very good at cleaning out enemy gold.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

JBP posted:

Have you tried out cataphs norse dwarf mod yet?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1181220751

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Arkhan the Black looks like he's wearing cool shades, which I guess is pretty appropriate what with his dope hat and all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I haven't but this looks really good. Anything with more vanguard dwarfs sounds fun to me since I've been having a good time taking 3-5 rangers in my armies and it drastically changes my plan from brick of arty death to tricky ambush tactics.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This is my favorite part of that mod.

Norscan Allies: a chain of refugee camps to offer shelter to survivors from norse allies and chaos-abhorrent tribes. Offers limited recruitment options as well. Can only be built in dwarf and norscan territories.

It gives negative happiness for that area.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

who had the brilliant idea of having the last ritual last 20 turns

who, Creative Assembly

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How evil are the Tomb Kings generally speaking in the lore?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fangz posted:

Not very. They can be super vengeful if you take their poo poo but they spend a lot of their time trying to kick Nagash in the teeth and they hate Chaos as much as any other undead. They're mostly good-ish guys overall.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fangz posted:

Depends on the individual Tomb King, Settra is an expy for every ancient conqueror at once, Khalida is the divine avatar of a "good" god, and Arkhan the Black was a personal friend of Megahitlersatan (Nagash) so they run the gamut from "Goody two-shoes" all the way to "Pitch-black" with every flavor of neutral in between.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Barring Arkhan and Nagash (who want to turn the whole world into undead slaves bound to Nagash), the morality of the tomb kings is better explained by their angst. They were entombed as all powerful monarchs, promised paradise, and woke up as shambling corpses with their kingdom a lifeless desert. They're petty tyrants who are bitter as gently caress. With the exception of Settra, who intends to conquer the world, and Khalida who wants to kill all the vampires, it's more a case of "Get off my lawn" for most of them.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I always saw it as "they're people who happen to be skeletons." some people are good, some bad. they're not monsters like the vampires.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aurubin posted:

Barring Arkhan and Nagash (who want to turn the whole world into undead slaves bound to Nagash

why tho?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

I always saw it as "they're people who happen to be skeletons." some people are good, some bad. they're not monsters like the vampires.

I don't see Vlad and Isabella as monsters. They're not humans, so why would they car greatly about humanity? Every race/leader is ultimately out for themselves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Khalida is in fact full of holy crazy snake venom where all her blood should be since her cousin Nefereta (first vampire) tried to turn her when she was alive, and she prayed for crazy venom instead of blood and got it. Waking up a magic mummy was probably a surprise.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I don't see Vlad and Isabella as monsters. They're not humans, so why would they car greatly about humanity? Every race/leader is ultimately out for themselves.

1. They both used to be human.
2. Vlad is possibly one of the best vampires out there but he is still kind of a shithead.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

evil

JBP posted:

This isn't necessarily true, canonically Khalida, Neferata and to some extent Isabella make it to the end of the world while defending (one of?) the last surviving group of humans.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

1. They both used to be human.
2. Vlad is possibly one of the best vampires out there but he is still kind of a shithead.

I used to be a baby but you don't see me going out of my way to help babies. Vlad is awesome and did nothing wrong.

turn off the TV posted:

This isn't necessarily true, canonically Khalida, Neferata and to some extent Isabella make it to the end of the world while defending (one of?) the last surviving group of humans.

Vlad and Isabella go out of their way to help humans in maybe the only half decent part of end times and Vlad is a very good husband. So they're not just plain old crazy evil, but defending the humans was a means to an end as well.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Nagash is a comic book villain. A megalomaniac.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JBP posted:

Vlad is awesome and did nothing wrong.

He did kind of gently caress up not watching out for the shoulder tackle when he was on top of Altdorf's walls.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Honestly it's pretty lame that the Tomb Kings just don't exist in Age of Sigmar. I think Warhammer might be one of the few settings where a random bumpkin peasant could see a legion of skeletons and giant statues shooting eye lasers and feel relief.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Between the Lizards and the terrifying mummies both being 'kind of indifferent but mostly on the right side' Hams had a good run of 'looks hosed up and scary, is mostly trying to save the world' going.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I just like the idea of people willingly becoming immortal undead soldiers in order to defend their king and kingdom, then fighting demons until the world implodes.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Aurubin posted:

Nagash is a comic book villain. A megalomaniac.

It's also because he, and by extension a ton of necromancers see life and "fecundity" as really gross, disorganized and needlessly complicated. They're fun-house mirror control freaks who think everything will be great of they alone are in control.

Also extends to controlling other necromancers. Nagash is mopey because little bro became king instead of him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

For Arkhan he just seems to be genuinely loyal to his master Nagash. Having known and followed him since they were both living humans and Nagash taught him Necromancy. Arkhan before Nagash was honestly kind of pathetic. He was the black sheep of a minor Khemri noble family. The reason he was a blacksheep was because his only real interests were gambling, drugs, brawls and prostitutes. (And he had to pay double for the prostitutes because of his horrible hygiene.) His title the black was because he enjoyed chewing juseh root and had awful dental hygiene rotting his teeth to black shards.

When Nagash was first recruiting for his evil plan Arkhan was one of the lowlifes he initially convinced into following in his coup him by showing off Necromancy which Arkhan apparently thought was cool and became his most devoted servants.

Nagash meanwhile from life to undeath was pretty much always a super evil megalomaniacal rear end in a top hat never having an excuse for his actions other then being power hungry.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

I just like the idea of people willingly becoming immortal undead soldiers in order to defend their king and kingdom, then fighting demons until the world implodes.

You talking about frog mummies or people mummies here?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rookersh posted:

I played a Skarsnik campaign way back when, and that was good fun. Nonstop rough battles, but doable battles. Turning my gobbos into basically little minotaurs that just charge through everything. It was super hilarious and very "orky".

The actual Greenskin campaign though kinda sucks. Basic boyz and even the bigger stuff like my Black Orcs don't seem like they can handle much of anything. They can sure, but they are real beat up after it in ways I wouldn't expect orcs to be. Somehow I have a full 20/20 stack from Karak Azul heading to Varaya's Sorrow by turn 8, and after pushing it back just barely I see two more 20/20 stacks of Karak Azul armies right behind them. I've also got a bunch of Dwarf stacks starting to come down from the north.

I finally figure out I can just confederate the Red Fangs after beating them up initially, and great. Cool. Now I own most of the Badlands but can't do poo poo with it anyways, because none of my units feel good in a fight against Dwarfs. Also fighting in and around the Badlands doesn't really feel that great.

Grimgor is awesome. He hits like a truck and is a hilarious monster. It's just everything supporting him is......not great.

Lizards are better at being an army of bruisers and Rats are better at being an army of fodder covering for big hitters.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Immanentized posted:

It's also because he, and by extension a ton of necromancers see life and "fecundity" as really gross, disorganized and needlessly complicated. They're fun-house mirror control freaks who think everything will be great of they alone are in control.

Also extends to controlling other necromancers. Nagash is mopey because little bro became king instead of him.

The interesting thing is that this argument actually has legs and is one of the huge grey areas in the lore primarily because of the existence of Chaos. Necromancy and Chaos are diametrically opposed since Chaos is interested in dragging the whole world into the Realm of Chaos (basically the WHFB afterlife) where the Chaos gods will have free reign to devour the souls of all living things. Necromancy meanwhile is entirely focused on cutting the Soul off from the afterlife (and thus the Realm of Chaos), so to be undead is to put your soul beyond the reach of Chaos and their servants. Unfortunately necromancy is its own curse since its very use is actively corrosive to its users mental state and by definition is about subverting the freewill and agency of the souls you enslave.

Its an interesting dynamic that I've always kind of liked about Warhammer, there are multiple different big bads who are all working at cross purpose and are tripping over each other trying to bring their master plans to fruition. Hell half the reason the Order factions even win some of the time is because of the 20 super villain plot pile up WHFB is constantly experiencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arglebargle III posted:

You talking about frog mummies or people mummies here?

The people mummies. The Tomb King's gimmick got recycled for the Space Marines Stormcast Eternals, which would be cool except they look extremely loving stupid.